Hair under headgear

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Burpalot.2514

Sir Burpalot.2514

So one improvement I would reaaaally like is having hair when I put on my headgear. I did a search and couldn’t find any recent discussion on the issue so here it is.

Currently whenever you put on a hat or helmet your hair vanishes and you turn bald. It just looks very awkward to have a character that is supposed to have hair, suddenly not have it.
It also affects beards and underwater re-breathers.

I understand this is because of possible clipping issues with hair and headgear, but it would be very nice to have some indication that my hair didn’t just disappear into nothingness.

I would say it is also in Anet’s best interest to create a solution to this because a lot of the town clothes headpieces they sell on the gem store look less than stellar because of it.

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: FallenAnqel.1579

FallenAnqel.1579

yea that would be cool

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

It would be nice, but in a game with dozens of hairstyles and helmets, having to specfically adapt each hairstyle to each helm / hat would take a lot of work. And it needs to be done that way to avoid massive clipping problems. So I doubt its going to happen.

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

previews top hat on female human

“AHHHHHHHHH HELL NAW”

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I’d like it. As noted, wearing a top hat on a girl makes all her hair fall out.

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

unfortunately this is one of those things that would take a lot of work, they’d have to do a new model for every hat and helmet with every hairstyle (or go for a generic one which would basically be akin to the current making you bald)

Thats a lot of work that I doubt they would be willing to put in.

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Just a couple of generic alternate hair for each race which you get swapped to when you put on a helm would be fine. Mostly you just need the bangs to be accurate, and the hair just needs to cover your scalp inside the hood / helm so you don’t see skull if the camera angle is letting you peek under.

It wouldn’t work perfectly for all helms, but it would be a heck of a lot better than it is now, certainly.

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

unfortunately this is one of those things that would take a lot of work, they’d have to do a new model for every hat and helmet with every hairstyle (or go for a generic one which would basically be akin to the current making you bald)

Thats a lot of work that I doubt they would be willing to put in.

Anet could let us change our hair styles in the same way we collect dyes. By letting players purchase reuse-able account bound hair styles in the gem shop. That way we can chose the ones that don’t clip with hats.

Hair under headgear

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sir Burpalot.2514

Sir Burpalot.2514

Just a couple of generic alternate hair for each race which you get swapped to when you put on a helm would be fine. Mostly you just need the bangs to be accurate, and the hair just needs to cover your scalp inside the hood / helm so you don’t see skull if the camera angle is letting you peek under.

It wouldn’t work perfectly for all helms, but it would be a heck of a lot better than it is now, certainly.

This is essentially the solution I had in mind. It doesn’t have to be super complex and tailored to every single hairstyle available.
At the very least I just want my bangs, sideburns, and the back of the head (is there a term for that one?) to have some indication of hair existing.
I’d be fine with just 2 looks. Hair under helmet for those with hair, and our current bald look for characters that are actually bald. If Anet is really bold, they could go for three: Long helmet hair, short helmet hair, and bald helmet.

I think it would be possible to create a very patted down hair model to go under open helmets when they are put on. So long as the hair model is thin enough I don’t think it would clip with any of the helmets while providing just a little depth and realism to the hair (In other words its not simply a flat texture).

Edit: I can see this being more difficult for Sylvari though as all of their hairsyles consist of different leaves and such. But I’m sure Anet can use a little imagination to come up with a solution to that one.

(edited by Sir Burpalot.2514)