Is it really needed the "once every 24h limit" for moving between servers?

in Suggestions

Posted by: HakkaiRequiem.5130

HakkaiRequiem.5130

I’m member of two different guilds. Each one is in a different server. I have friends in both and it often happens that at a certain time of the day in one guild there is nearly nobody logged into the game, while in the other guild there are lots of people connected. For that reason I (and I’m sure many other people do the same) often need to jump between different servers during a single day.

You said the “one transfer every 24h limit” is made to prevent some kind of exploitation of the WvWvW system. I don’t know what kind of exploitation is that, but it seems unfair to LIMIT every single (honest) player because a possible exploit exists, instead of solving the exploiting mechanism directly. If someone bites you with his teeth, you don’t just smash everybody’s teeth so that nobody can bite anymore.
You prevented biting, but you also prevented eating.
And preventing eating is unfair and unhealthy.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

If someone broke into your house wouldn’t you upgrade the security with better locks and security system?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

It’s another economy control mechanism.
People are using server transfers to farm orichalcum veins and ancient Orrian saplings.
They find one, mine it, then transfer to another server, mine it again, repeat ad nauseum.

I’m not sure what WvWvW exploit they could be talking about unless they’re referring to explorers who, like myself, swap worlds to access skillpoints, POIs and waypoints currently held by an enemy world.
I freely admit, I used this myself to get my 100% explored.
But I’m guessing there’s something more serious than that being abused to prompt this move on ArenaNet’s behalf.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: vonBoomslang.8296

vonBoomslang.8296

Yes, it really is needed, for both WvW exploits and server load.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kahn.2486

Kahn.2486

In its simplist form the WvW exploit is say for arguement sake…

World A, B and C are in a battle…B is in second place, A is in last and C is 300k points ahead of B…Now someone in A thinks “ah I want to win…” so leaves A and moves to C in order to be on the winning side.

I don’t know what the winning world gets as I havn’t kept an eye on that, but they must get some kind of reward elsewises no one would take part.

Thats how I see it anyway…

in Suggestions

Posted by: TottWriter.8591

TottWriter.8591

People want to be on worlds with high WvW scores because of the passive benefits that score offers to players in terms of crafting and gathering bonuses etc.

So people transfer to those worlds so that they can access them, and then hop back to be with their friends.

It’s frustrating at the moment that the limit is in place, but eventually guesting will be implemented so that people can play with their friends. Hopefully soonish. The roleplaying community is split across two servers at the moment, and it would be nice to be able to guest over to each others’ counterpart to take part in events.

To buy character slots or not to buy character slots. That is the test of my restraint.

in Suggestions

HakkaiRequiem.5130

If someone broke into your house wouldn’t you upgrade the security with better locks and security system?

Yes: I just think this is not the best security system o.o

People want to be on worlds with high WvW scores because of the passive benefits that score offers to players in terms of crafting and gathering bonuses etc.

So people transfer to those worlds so that they can access them, and then hop back to be with their friends.

That’s a good point, but I think it would be possible to block the PASSIVE BENEFITS for 24h after the “jump”. It would fix the problem without troubles for people who just want to play with their friends.

It’s frustrating at the moment that the limit is in place, but eventually guesting will be implemented so that people can play with their friends. Hopefully soonish.

This could be a very good fix to the fix, but I think a better fix would be better than a fix to the fix. ^^"

(edited by HakkaiRequiem.5130)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jadex.7402

Jadex.7402

The actual WvW exploit:

Two worlds are fighting. Some people from one world transfer to the enemy world and then either remove or otherwise use the enemy world’s resources (which they now have access to) for useless things. They then transfer back and assault the castle that now has no resources with which to repair its walls or make defenses.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Halbarad.5832

Halbarad.5832

Maybe this hasn’t been turned on yet since we’re not on two week rounds yet; but transferring worlds was supposed to lock you out of the benefits from the new worlds for the rest of the round.
So if you transfer you’re not supposed to be getting the bonuses your new world won until the next two week cycle starts.

@OP you do realize that the unlimited transfers, and now the 24 hour blocks, are temporary right? At least if they go by what they’ve said before, we are going to be limited to one transfer a week from what I remember. And it’ll cost gems. Of course we’ll have Guesting then too which might solve your needs.

(edited by Halbarad.5832)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shandim.8694

Shandim.8694

Yes. People were transferring servers to give their homeserver orbs in world vs world, it was needed

in Suggestions

HakkaiRequiem.5130

Mmm… I get your point.
A solution was needed.
But still I’m asking myself if that was the best solution o.o
Doesn’t mind, I will get used to the new system.

:(

EDIT:

@OP you do realize that the unlimited transfers, and now the 24 hour blocks, are temporary right? At least if they go by what they’ve said before, we are going to be limited to one transfer a week from what I remember. And it’ll cost gems. Of course we’ll have Guesting then too which might solve your needs.

Ehi, wait, a sec. I don’t like the idea of gems for transfert. Transfert doesn’t add contents, why should I spend gems for this? O_o
I can get used to wait to transfer my character, but PAYING is another story.

(edited by HakkaiRequiem.5130)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Halbarad.5832

Halbarad.5832

This is all “what they said during beta” but yeah, it’s supposed to cost 1800 gems to transfer from what I remember.

But when they turn on that feature they’re also supposed to be turning on Guesting. With Guesting you can “soft transfer” for everything but WvW. So from what I understand of it (I never got to try it in beta, I never saw it working then) it functions like a server transfer except it’s not permanent and it is free.

So you go to the server select screen and choose Guesting (like choosing to Transfer now) and you can log on that server just like if it was your main server, and you can participate in everything except WvW on that server.
From what I remember, you keep your main servers WvW bonuses though, so you can’t transfer just get those bonuses for PvE.

So the only reason you’d need to actually transfer (and pay gems) in the future is for WvW, from my understanding. (I don’t know how Guesting affects cross-server guilds though)

(edited by Halbarad.5832)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shooopa.5632

Shooopa.5632

They say it’s for some sort of exploit. What it is I don’t know, but I’d prefer this instead of having to pay for world transfers. Because every world I’ve been in to date is nearly vacant.

User will be infracted for this post.