Let us choose the minor traits

in Suggestions

Posted by: The Game Slayer.7632

The Game Slayer.7632

Let us choose the minor traits. either have another pool to choose from, or choose from existing pool. Or anything else anyone wants to suggest. I think this game is being crippled by being forced to take the 5,15, and 25 traits.

Yes. It’s a game changer. It would be a positive one though.

Discuss!

I am a teef
:)

in Suggestions

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Being able to select minor traits yourself would be a massive balancing nightmare though.

The trait lines are built around certain traits being “forced” after all.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

Misleading topic name is misleading.

in Suggestions

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Misleading topic name is misleading.

Ye and wrong forum :P

Anyhow… I agree with Lordkrall and I don’t realy like the idea. The more options you get the more is the chance of people using the same builds since it is the best. Yea it sounds wierd but I can’t explain what I mean sorry.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

in Suggestions

Posted by: HappyPrimes.3904

HappyPrimes.3904

Better idea; get rid of traits, re-implement GW1’s attribute system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Asmodeius.2751

Asmodeius.2751

I like the trait system, and i would also like minor traits to be customizable. i do realize that it will create balancing problems for ANET to solve, but what could be better than keeping the player base happy. I would also like weapon abilities to be customizable.

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

I like the trait system, and i would also like minor traits to be customizable. i do realize that it will create balancing problems for ANET to solve, but what could be better than keeping the player base happy. I would also like weapon abilities to be customizable.

Well, seeing as people are already spamming these forums because they don’t like the current balance I am not sure that the player base (or at least the forum-part of it) will be happy with even more things to balance.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ario.8964

Ario.8964

I would support a selection in minor traits but only to a certain extent. Enough to allow the traits to support your build better but not enough to cause a huge shift in the power of a build or make a style in terms, op.

I’d like to use the necromancer death magic trait line as an example. Most necros run a condition build and the death magic minor traits give no support to this style of play. The only thing it does is give support to people playing minion masters so unless you play that specific build you are wasting trait points on those minor traits. So instead why not create a set of minor trait selections that allow the tree to support a different play-style cause there are some really nice major traits in that line, why should we have to waste points in something that is of no relevance to our build in order to get one or two traits we DO like?

[Teef] Dragonbrand Thief and Engi main www.twitch.tv/ariodoesgaming and Ario Does Gaming on Youtube!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Well, I understand ANet’s want for simplified balancing, but they really did bone the system by not having boatloads of available skills to choose from, and attributes who are easier to mess with. It’s one of the points of GW1 that i still really miss.

My favorite reason:
Gw1 Ele vs Gw2 Ele:
Air magic in GW1 supported the idea that a bolt of electricity from the freaking sky, as hot as the surface of the sun, with enough energy released on impact IRL to fling the forsaken unlucky soul who gets stuck quite a good distance… IS an acceptable form of DPS, and rox the sox off things with unusual amounts of armor ( 25% armor penetration).
Air magic in gw2 is all about being cowardly and having the ability to run away via a cheap aoe stun and a speed boost, and some blinds whos usefulness in pve is slim at best since champ mobs basically ignore the mechanic anyway (10% chance of the blind NOT being effective on champ iirc?)…and the only way air magic really does lots of dps is by being a kamekazi close in ele with the worst armor and one of the lowest health pools in the game using the lightning whip skill from the dagger line…

Mind you, I get the whole “we want element swapping” thing, but it also strikes me that some of us might prefer one more than the rest? Maybe I wanna cause the earth to rise up and swallow a whole city… or maybe I should bring the weather with me, or light fires under anything and everyone that gets in my path (R.I.P Cynn and setting Mhenlo on fire), or cause all the water to pour out of (or freeze and shatter within) my enemy/drop ice commets on them etc… and do those things specifically (element specialization) which the current system hints at, but doesn’t actually perform as…

This was only my personal favorite example, but Yes…back to the original point, more skills IS harder to balance, there will be meta builds that crop up all over the place, BUT GW1 answered this by making the skillbar your limit, gw2 could add more weapons, or maybe have different sub-types of the same weapons…or a selectable “style” set of skills (real fighters are trained in many ways, but all have a personal favorite spot they like to be in)… the balance nightmares are worth dealing with imo, because it added so much flavor to gw1 that certainly lacks in this dept thus far (keep praying for more weapons in general with different skills)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

I would just like to be able to turn them off if I wanted to…

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I would just like to be able to turn them off if I wanted to…

Disable Last Refuge: CHECK!!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tman.6349

Tman.6349

I would support a selection in minor traits but only to a certain extent. Enough to allow the traits to support your build better but not enough to cause a huge shift in the power of a build or make a style in terms, op.

I’d like to use the necromancer death magic trait line as an example. Most necros run a condition build and the death magic minor traits give no support to this style of play. The only thing it does is give support to people playing minion masters so unless you play that specific build you are wasting trait points on those minor traits. So instead why not create a set of minor trait selections that allow the tree to support a different play-style cause there are some really nice major traits in that line, why should we have to waste points in something that is of no relevance to our build in order to get one or two traits we DO like?

Would keeping the adept minor as is across the board (only 5 pts shouldn’t be adjustable for balance sake) BUT allowing the other two minors to choose from the current trait OR from the major traits of the tier below be a reasonable trade-off considering the increasing dedication to that trait line. For clarification, adept minor would stay the same, but at 15 pts you can keep the master minor or choose from the pool of adept majors. At 25 pts you could keep grandmaster minor or choose from the pool of master majors. This seems reasonable IMO and wouldn’t let balance get too out of hand.

Also, how about making the elite slot into a 4th utility/elite slot? If I want to run a signet build but, unlike the warrior O.o, I don’t happen to have an elite signet, why can’t I equip a 4th utility signet in the elite slot? If I don’t want to take a stupid transform or minion elite, why not let me rock my 4th corruption skill. I’ve spent so many trait points on buffing them only to see one sitting useless while I have to equip other JUNK that’s not at all efficient in my build? Often I find myself picking an elite that doesn’t support or augment my build/playstyle in anyway, but rather choosing ‘the least piece of crap’ for my current setup, and that seems broken to me.

A lot of times players find themselves going into lines counter productive to their build as a whole JUST to buff their utilities, so why not reap the full benefit of those sacrifices. A perfect example is a staff necro traited for say staff/marks and wells. Their traits are ALL OVER THE PLACE. This spec has the option of a silly non-traited minion or TWO transform abilities rendering their ENTIRE setup useless for the duration of said ‘elite’ skills. This seems backwards in every way! Make the last slot 4th utility OR elite slot already PLEASE…it only makes sense. Thanks in advance for seeing the practicality here.

(edited by Tman.6349)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Protoavis.9107

Protoavis.9107

Being able to select minor traits yourself would be a massive balancing nightmare though.

The trait lines are built around certain traits being “forced” after all.

While true it would be, but then you look at the existing classes and they aren’t balanced anyway. The whole trait and skill system need significant balancing at the current point anyway.

Let us buy vendor mats (eg spools of thread) in 250 stacks, end the excessive clicking.

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

While true it would be, but then you look at the existing classes and they aren’t balanced anyway. The whole trait and skill system need significant balancing at the current point anyway.

So people are complaining about the lack of balance, and yet want to make balance even harder?
That doesn’t really make sense at all.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square