Permanent Gathering Tools

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m an avid crafter, i have to be with 8 chars, but i’ve been extremely frustrated with the gathering tools since BWE1. I’m very happy that they’ve been made account bound at least but despite that, they are the most annoying nuisance gathering tools of any game i’ve ever played. You always run out of them at the worst of times in the middle of nowhere and no merchant in sight. Or you’re forced to carry spare sets. Even more annoying is that the tools are various types for various resources and some maps have more than one type in them or you end up with ruined resources and there’s nothing to prevent you from gathering the resource with the wrong equipment, for eg; a pop up or some kind of message telling you its the wrong equipment for that resource.
My suggestion is this:
1)Make the tools permanent, once you equip them they stay equipped, however the tools get damaged with use and require repairs, which is an acceptable money sink.

2)The tools should be lvl oriented where starter tools can still gather anything, but it takes a lot longer to do so. Higher lvl tools means faster gathering.
At say lvl 50, you can acquire Master Tools which are maximum time reduction in gathering. As far as what that is I’ll leave for the devs to figure out.

3) Last but not least, the gathering should be 1 action, not 3 or more if you get a rich deposit where you have to repeatedly click on the resource. I find this utmost annoying, very old fashion and totally unnecessary.

If none of these are acceptable changes, then at least make the tools so you can recombine them if you end up accidentally equipping the full stack instead of the one you were previously using. I find this strangest things of all that you’re unable to recombine exactly the same tools like for eg Mithril mining picks etc. If you got 2 lots of 20 you cannot combine them and make them 40, why?
Thanks for reading and hopefully its a worthy suggestion to make some changes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kitanas.3596

kitanas.3596

you are advocating the removal of a gold sink. you have to explain why the removal of said gold is benificial to the economy.

as for putting picks together, have you ever put two worn picks together for making a less worn pickaxe? there you go

in Suggestions

Posted by: Solid Gold.9310

Solid Gold.9310

Yeah gathering tools are a real pain.

Removing them as a gold sink would not damage the economy in any way whatsoever.

Jumping puzzles, love them or hate them, I hate them. Thread killer.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onichi.1057

Onichi.1057

One simple adjustment. Allow the stacking of tools to 250 like everything else and allow you to add to a diminished stack. IE You have 10 left so you buy 200 and stack em to 210

—-17yrs of MMO experience—-
UO, EQ, DAoC, LineageII, WoW, AION, Rift, GW2
Onirem Silvanus aka Assault aka Onichi aka Versatile

in Suggestions

Tiger Ashante.1792

you are advocating the removal of a gold sink. you have to explain why the removal of said gold is benificial to the economy.

In my proposal the gold sink is having to repair tools, as suggested, that’s good enough imo. If it’s good enough in other games it should be here too. And as to why it’s beneficial, perhaps removing the nuisance factor? Saving space? And ultimately, simply a quality of life convenience.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nemo.6295

Nemo.6295

AN has to make money somehow, their system is the smartest i’ve ever seen in a F2P game (Personally I’d still play this game with a monthly fee) and asking for them to reduce your gold sink (which is, currently, reasonable) is like asking them to cut their earnings. They have to make money in order to keep us entertained with content.

in Suggestions

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m not asking AN to reduce their income or money sink, i’m sure they can find other ways to stay afloat. I’m simply asking for a better, less frustrating gathering tools.
OMG I don’t think that’s too much to ask in a modern game like gw2, is it? I mean in all the games i’ve played that have crafting, you can actually craft your own tools. I’m ok with buying them and then paying for them to be repaired, just don’t want bags full of them to cover every map i go to because each one uses different set and leaves me little room for anything else.
Even if they made it so you have to upgrade your gathering tools say every 10 lvls but only have one of each and permanently equipped, that would work too! And trust me, repairing the tools is still a good money sink as each time you use the tools they get damaged a little. They could also adjust the repair kits to cover tools as well and make some money on those too, as I’m sure most people would want to carry them in their bags, if they thought their tools may break.

in Suggestions

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

Maybe not permanent, but maybe higher stack or unlimited stack. It would save room in our inventory.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

in Suggestions

Posted by: Taril.8619

Taril.8619

I’m ok with buying them and then paying for them to be repaired, just don’t want bags full of them to cover every map i go to because each one uses different set and leaves me little room for anything else.

You do realise that each gathering equipment works on EVERY lower tier stuff as well as the tier it states? Meaning that you only need to carry around the top stuff to be able to gather everything regardless of zone.

“Pull the trigger, move out ahead,
There’s two kinds of people… The quick and the dead”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lane.3410

Lane.3410

Do people really consider gathering tools to be a “gold sink”? The only ones which may fit that bill are Orichalcum Harvesting Sickles, the rest are so inconsequential.

I would prefer higher stacks — and definitely YES to combining stacks — of tools. Given how awful the repair interface is now I can only see having to repair gathering tools as a hassle. Maybe if you could actually choose individual items to repair and the NPC didn’t always want to repair everything, whether it’s equipped or not, it wouldn’t be so bad, but not the way it is now.

in Suggestions

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’m ok with buying them and then paying for them to be repaired, just don’t want bags full of them to cover every map i go to because each one uses different set and leaves me little room for anything else.

You do realise that each gathering equipment works on EVERY lower tier stuff as well as the tier it states? Meaning that you only need to carry around the top stuff to be able to gather everything regardless of zone.

So what you’re saying, a new character should buy Mithril or Ori Picks with all 20 copper they get for their initial hearts and use them on copper or iron ore that costs 10 copper or whatever?
In any case, even now, tools are lvl capped, don’t know the exact arrangement but lvl 5 for eg can’t use high end tools.
Edit: type errors

(edited by Tiger Ashante.1792)

in Suggestions

Posted by: domxnik.1453

domxnik.1453

So what you’re saying, a new character should buy Mithril or Ori Picks with all 20 copper they get for their first heart? In any case, even now, tools are lvl capped, don’t know the exact arrangement but lvl 5 for eg can’t use high end tools.

What he’s trying to say is from what the guy said " just don’t want bags full of them to cover every map i go to because each one uses different set and leaves me little room for anything else." My guess is the guy doesn’t know you can use higher level gathering tools for lower level ores, so you don’t have to take up as much room.

He’s not saying early levels should pick up higher gather tools, because they can’t anyway.

Anvixy- 80 Ranger

in Suggestions

Tiger Ashante.1792

So what you’re saying, a new character should buy Mithril or Ori Picks with all 20 copper they get for their first heart? In any case, even now, tools are lvl capped, don’t know the exact arrangement but lvl 5 for eg can’t use high end tools.

What he’s trying to say is from what the guy said " just don’t want bags full of them to cover every map i go to because each one uses different set and leaves me little room for anything else." My guess is the guy doesn’t know you can use higher level gathering tools for lower level ores, so you don’t have to take up as much room.

He’s not saying early levels should pick up higher gather tools, because they can’t anyway.

Actually high zones aren’t the problem, its the lower ones but anyway i still think 1 set of tools and repair job is the best and simplest solution. I mean don’t you hate it when you’ve run out of picks and you’re locked in combat with an enemy that’s been left miles behind and you can’t equip new set of tools because you’re in combat? having a perma set equipped would eliminate that aggravation as well. the way i see it, its win, win. less clatter in the world a more efficient system.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

One simple adjustment. Allow the stacking of tools to 250 like everything else and allow you to add to a diminished stack. IE You have 10 left so you buy 200 and stack em to 210

An addition to that: Remove the various types of gathering tools and simply make gathering kits. I.e. you don’t need an axe, sickle and pick, just a kit for everything. Copper gatherer kits, steel gatherer kits, darksteel gatherer kits, etc.

Would be kind of neat to have legendary gatherer kits to aim for that’d would basically be permanent but for the different type of nodes. I.e. a legendary pick axe, a legendary sickle and a legendary axe. Of course that would be a gold-sink in and of itself but it might be a fun side project for the crafters/gatherers out there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

I like the idea. Especially since you’re not getting rid of the gold sink which many people replying can’t seem to comprehend.

It would be cool if merchants sold repair kits specifically for your tools. That why you wouldn’t get ‘stuck’ out in nowhere. You could just buy a kit for around the price of a tool is now and just use it when your tool gets damaged. You would keep the money sink, clear up inventory, and not have to worry about getting stranded with damaged tools.

RIP in peace Robert

in Suggestions

Posted by: Exterminans.9723

Exterminans.9723

What i would like to see would be the combination of the following mechanics:

• Unlimited stacking: Tools of the same type can be equipped in any numbers, stacksize is only limited while in inventory. It changes nothing to the function as “goldsink”. If not unlimited, allow at least recombining stacks and increase stacksize to 250 in general.
  • High quality tools & low quality nodes: If you use a tool, you have a chance to keep the tool if the quality of the node is below the quality of the tool. The actual chance to loose a tool would be 0.6^([node level] – [item level]). So if you equip the expensive orichalcium tools, you don’t have to worry about WASTING them on low quality nodes. Well, they are still more expensive than using the designated tools, but harvesting copper nodes with orichalcium tools isn’t a complete failure any more as you have a 93% chance of keeping the tool.

in Suggestions

Posted by: warthog.8320

warthog.8320

As someone just getting into GW2 I would have to agree that the current implementation of the gathering tools has left me a bit underwhelmed.

At least having some type of pop-up for new folks like me that first time I try to pick up some Iron with a Copper mining pick that says I’m going to ruin the ore if I continue to gather. I wasn’t paying attention to what was actually going into my bags until I had several nodes gathered. Made me kinda sad to waste that ore.

Same thing with the other items I was collecting in that zone. Had a whole bunch of junk to sell once I figured out what was going on.

If you keep the current setup then add a pop-up to warn you when you are gathering with a tool lower than the node and it will be ruined.

Stacking more would be nice, although a permanent set of gathering tools would be the best solution if you ask me. It does suck to be out in the world and run out of them. Sure you can just way point back and pick some up, but that cuts into play time, and you can’t way point back to exactly where you were so you can’t just pick and resume without having a nice little hike.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Permanent gathering tools that have to be repaired would work as a gold sink. It saves inventory space and silver. If fact they would only take up equipment slots.

They could be ungradable like the rebreather.
Or level up with the player.
Lost durability can be scaled to the area.

There’s many ways Anet could make permanent gathering tools work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Well, if it saves silver than it’s less of a gold sink, just sayin.

And it’s not a “stack” of 100 picks, it’s a single pick with 100 uses, so saying you should be able to drop two into one is, no offense, kind of stupid >.<

I’d support being able to combine them in the forge though! Or if all of them were simply sturdy ones! The current tools are tedious and annoying. And the donation (money/item sink) to get the sturdy ones basically means buying junk on the TP to donate for them, it’s no better than the rest of the system it just front loads the tediousness of it.

Other suggestions, the higher quality the tools the more uses it should have (a better quality tool should last longer right?)
Or, higher quality tools could lose uses/durability slower, like 1 every 2-3 whacks on a node (up through Mithril I think, I’d say the Ori ones could still be 1 for 1 on the grounds it’s “harder to mine” or some such)

I’d even take just being able to buy the sturdy ones, you know?

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Dunno if it was suggested yet but I think a craftable and therefore repairable (dunno if thats a word but its my story and I’m sticking to it) tool would be awesome. It maintains the gold sink since it has to be repaired but atleast there are mobile ways of repairing items. Also it should have a higher use count to make it worthwhile. I really don’t enjoy buying extrenuous gathering tools, this isn’t a battle of the bag space. I’m just trying to get some mats instead of buying them :/

Additionally, I think some of the “Gem store” items should be craftable in a less efficient way. By this I mean a mobile anvil for weaponsmiths/armorsmiths. It should add up to about the costs of several silver or even 1g but it beats the heck out of buying gems at this rate for a repair canister. Most gem store items I think should stay exclusive but some of them just seem like the kinda thing one should be able to craft rather than by gems with money ($) or in game coin.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

(edited by NinjaEd.3946)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Well, if it saves silver than it’s less of a gold sink, just sayin.

Or are you just waiting silver by using more expensive gathering tool on copper.

in Suggestions

Posted by: jwaz.1908

jwaz.1908

I totally agree with you, I find it tiresome to have to constantly purchase gathering tools (I buy them with karma but still), and have to carry around a spare set in case I run out. They should introduce some sort of “Unbreakable” or “Legendary” gathering tools that last forever.

Brom Svánigandr – Druid
Nemata Sapshield – Dragonhunter
Lillian Estre – Tempest

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

AN has to make money somehow, their system is the smartest i’ve ever seen in a F2P game (Personally I’d still play this game with a monthly fee) and asking for them to reduce your gold sink (which is, currently, reasonable) is like asking them to cut their earnings. They have to make money in order to keep us entertained with content.

I may be wrong here but I don’t think anet really earns money from having this gold sink here. Gold sinks should not be related to the people who buy/convert gems to gold. What gold sinks do in my perspective is to keen the currency from inflating.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

That’s exactly what a gold sink is for, and why they need a lot of them. But I dislike some of the ways that they’ve gone about it. I don’t really have a problem with the pricing of gathering tools, just the number of uses you get out of them. They could add, for example, sturdy tools with 250 uses that cost relatively more than the standard ones. I’d be fine with that. I just hate wasting Ori or Mithril tool uses on lower tier mats, but that means carrying multiple sets of tools (my level 80s have 3 sets, the Ori the Mithril and the Darksteel for everything below the other two) which takes up quite a bit of space, especially when one gets low so you know you’ll need another before you get a chance to buy one, so you gotta buy it now and carry it around till you finish the one you have. It’s just an irritation that doesn’t need to be.

I’d still carry multiple sets, but the having to go back to town so often would ease up a bit.

Edit: I’ve wondered if the lower # of uses is designed to encourage you to WP more often by forcing you to either waste space carrying extras or going back to town frequently, that way they hit you coming, going, and while you’re in town, a 3 way gold sink.
But for me, I can’t help but do some rough math. At 2-3 silver each way plus the cost of the new tool (assuming I only need 1), means a loss of 3-7s (ish) each time. and that adds up over time, eating into the already small profits I’m earning while out and about.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

(edited by ScribeTheMad.7614)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

While gold sinks are absolutely required in a game economy, disposable tools that require finding the right kind of vendor every 1-2 days are absolutely not required. This is an obvious quality of life issue that will hopefully be addressed sooner rather than later.

I’m sure that there were people in WoW opposed to removing arrows as inventory items for hunters that needed to be purchased and managed in terms of bag space, but they were removed from the game as a quality of life improvement. Not trying to use WoW or this issue in WoW as a standard of measure, simply illustrating how quality of life issues generally play out over time in games. It makes no sense to enshrine Tools that disappear after a days use as a necessary element of game design.

(edited by Raine.1394)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

THIS i concur with heartily!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

While gold sinks are absolutely required in a game economy, disposable tools that require finding the right kind of vendor every 1-2 days are absolutely not required. This is an obvious quality of life issue that will hopefully be addressed sooner rather than later.

I’m sure that there were people in WoW opposed to removing arrows as inventory items for hunters that needed to be purchased and managed in terms of bag space, but they were removed from the game as a quality of life improvement. Not trying to use WoW or this issue in WoW as a standard of measure, simply illustrating how quality of life issues generally play out over time in games. It makes no sense to enshrine Tools that disappear after a days use as a necessary element of game design.

and on this one? IF the vendors in local areas sell the CORRECT tools (i.e., a vendor in iron marches should NEVER be selling only copper or iron tools) then this is slightly less of a problem. while my example above may be incorrect, my statement is correct. many vendors in zones do not carry the correct tools FOR that zone, which is problematic.