Playable mecha/steam race

in Suggestions

Posted by: DrakeWurrum.6049

DrakeWurrum.6049

I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but I’ve been thinking of this for months… and now in Lornar’s Pass I find a whole bunch of mechanical steam creatures associated with a meta event, which the races of Tyria are struggling to understand.

Please oh please add a playable mechanical race based on this concept! It’s truly an exciting idea that I don’t think any other MMORPG has done, for playable races. Would truly help set us apart. Forget playing elves or undead or orcs, I wanna play a mecha race! Maybe something similar to this D&D construct race called Warforged.

Attachments:

I hope you haven’t forgotten my role in this little story. I’m the leading man.
You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GADefence.5634

GADefence.5634

" I don’t think any other MMORPG has done"

Didn’t DDO have warforged as a playable race?

A kitteny playable race, but playable none the less.

in Suggestions

DrakeWurrum.6049

" I don’t think any other MMORPG has done"

Didn’t DDO have warforged as a playable race?

A kitteny playable race, but playable none the less.

Eh. Any other memorable MMO then!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dr Anthrax.4723

Dr Anthrax.4723

The problem with this Steam race would be that they don’t fit into the existing lore anywhere…

There are the Steam Golems in Lornar's Pass, but they aren’t integral to the story or really exist outside of those karma hearts.

Would a steam race be fun? Of course I would reroll at least 2 characters to do steam races. Will we see them in the current iterations of guild wars? Most likely not. They just break the mold too much.

Here’s to hoping!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

RF online had a mechanical race… Anyways, I would have no problem with a mechanical race, as long as it fits fine into the lore somewhere.

in Suggestions

DrakeWurrum.6049

The problem with this Steam race would be that they don’t fit into the existing lore anywhere…

They would fit just as well as sylvari. Up until GW2 started being developed, there was no hint of this race anywhere, and then a ton of lore was built-up for them. Out of nowhere, it’s decided that a magical seed, the origins of which we still don’t fully know, was planted by a human and a centaur, and grew into a great big tree that magically gives birth to plant-people.

Who is to say some asura or charr won’t invent some massive steam-person-making machine that ends up being self-aware… but unlike SkyNet, doesn’t go all genocidal on their creators?
I find that LESS ludicrous, frankly, than the lore behind how the sylvari came to be, since so much of their existence is simply explained away by magic. Especially since we’ve already seen signs of some self-aware asuran golems.

I really don’t see them as breaking the mold considering the level of technology that both asura and charr have shown. I mean, come on, there’s a charr in the Black Citadel openly pondering about using lightning for power, instead of steam, and they literally have huge tanks designed for war.

(edited by DrakeWurrum.6049)