Ritualist. We pull strength from our past.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Although the Ritualist wasn’t my personal favorite form GW1, it was still a solid profession both in designed and in play style. It had its own way of doing things that felt unique to the profession. Relying more on the ghosts of history’s past far more then its own abilities. The ritualist was far more then a Totem using profession.

I know the engineer was supposed to replace the play style of the ritualist, and to some extent it does. On the other hand the 2 are different enough both in mechanics and in flavor that both could exist in the same space without ever feeling the same.

One thematic difference between the two is the Engineer is all about progress. They have no time to look at the past, they are in the now and look to the future. While the Ritualist is quite the opposite. The ritualist calls its strength from the past and sees history as a learning tool. Many of the GW1 skills for the ritualist reflected this aspect. The ashes being of ancient heroes who had die, calling on their strength to aid them in the now.

Because of the story that was put in place with Eye of the north, We have heroes from multiple races that could be used for inspiration for many of the Ritualist’s moves. The Ashes of Pyre or maybe Vekk would be an excellent addition. The Ritualist’s also doesn’t have the disadvantage the Dervish does. While the dervish’s entire identity was dependent on the 5 gods, the ritualist isn’t so strict about that. Much of the ritualist had nothing to do with the 5 gods and had more to do with history.

So here are a few thoughts on the mechanics and weapons I think the ritualist should use along with its condition and boon choices.

Mechanics:
The Ritualist would have two primary mechanics it would pull from. Binding rituals and urns. Urns would act as special bundle items with a limited number of charges to be used. The type of effect the urn would use would depend on the ashes of which hero it belonged to. Such as the Ashes of Vekk might cause a blast of lighting and teleport the user. The Binding rituals would be summoned spirits of a emotion, ideal or need. Such as Wrath, peace or shelter. more mechanics might be needed, but I believe these two are a good start.

The mechanics on how these two will work isn’t completely hammered out, but this is my first suggestion. The f1-f3 buttons will act as means to sacrifice your summoned spirits to summon the urn, and depending on the order you used the f1-3 and what type of spirits are sacrificed will determine the urn that will be summoned for your use.

Weapons:

Two handed:
Staff (A controlling weapon, used more to causes imobilizes and fears to keep the foe off your allies)
Longbow (High damage ranged weapon. Summons Spirits to aid you in a spectral assult)

Main hand:
Scepter (Mid range weapon. Used to chill and confuse foes.)
Mace (Melee weapon. Provides boons and knocks down foes)

Off Hand:
Focus (protects allies and the user)
Torch (Burns and summons spirits to aid in battle)

Boons and conditions:
The ritualist would have access to each of the boons. Though the boon they would use the most would be Vigor, protection and retaliation.

The conditions the ritualist would have access to would be Blind, Burning, Chilled, Confusion, Fear, Immobilize, Vulnerability and Weakness. They wouldn’t have Bleeding our poison.

If you have ideas of your own, or thoughts please share. And support the Ritualist and Cantha. If you wish to expand on this, feel free if you don’t agree with some of the ideas leave a detailed reason why and provide a alternative. I look forward to hearing from everyone and please support the ritualist for GW2.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ceejay.2517

ceejay.2517

Whilst obviously not perfect, a well thought through idea! would be amazed if Anet wasnt considering this already, and this thread could seriously contribute some ideas!

1up.

Psyyy | PvP Necro |

in Suggestions

Lily.1935

Whilst obviously not perfect, a well thought through idea! would be amazed if Anet wasnt considering this already, and this thread could seriously contribute some ideas!

1up.

thank you. If you have any suggestions please feel free to comment.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

Unfortunately you need a more unique class mechanic. Your current one is nearly identical to the way guardians work with a slight Bit more thrown on top. Meaning they will have a similar feel.

Anet has tried to create unique archtypes for each class. This mean a unique class mechanic that will affect all builds. You can skin skills to fit any lore you want for a class theme. But its that basic mechanic that makes the classes feel differently when you play. Try to find a more unique mechanic. In fact search ritualist in this section, I have suggested a few mechanics or revisions to mechanics in several rit suggestion theads.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Lily.1935

Unfortunately you need a more unique class mechanic. Your current one is nearly identical to the way guardians work with a slight Bit more thrown on top. Meaning they will have a similar feel.

Anet has tried to create unique archtypes for each class. This mean a unique class mechanic that will affect all builds. You can skin skills to fit any lore you want for a class theme. But its that basic mechanic that makes the classes feel differently when you play. Try to find a more unique mechanic. In fact search ritualist in this section, I have suggested a few mechanics or revisions to mechanics in several rit suggestion theads.

How is it Identical to the guardian? I would understand if you said it was similar to the mesmer, But I don’t see the connection to the guardian at all.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

The way you describe it is that you have 3 things slotted into f1-3 you then sacrifice themfor an additional effect. This is the core mechanic. Ignore as to what the Guardian skills are just look at the mechanic.

3 persistant tokens that are sacrificed for another token/set of tokens. Tokens being any skill.

Mesmer is close i guess but to the way you described guardian is closer still. And the little on top plays like necro

If this is not the case you may need to explain your mechanic further as it currently reads as guardian mechanic where sacing all 3 at once grants a weapon bundle aka death shroud.

Or are you meaning its an f1 3 that have no point or inherit powers but to serve as a 3 key code to one of 6 weaponsets. Becuases that may be cool but would worry about balance. Would they keep weapon swap too? Does it make it potentially too intricate for first time players to pick up easily?

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Lily.1935

The way you describe it is that you have 3 things slotted into f1-3 you then sacrifice themfor an additional effect. This is the core mechanic. Ignore as to what the Guardian skills are just look at the mechanic.

3 persistant tokens that are sacrificed for another token/set of tokens. Tokens being any skill.

Mesmer is close i guess but to the way you described guardian is closer still. And the little on top plays like necro

If this is not the case you may need to explain your mechanic further as it currently reads as guardian mechanic where sacing all 3 at once grants a weapon bundle aka death shroud.

Or are you meaning its an f1 3 that have no point or inherit powers but to serve as a 3 key code to one of 6 weaponsets. Becuases that may be cool but would worry about balance. Would they keep weapon swap too? Does it make it potentially too intricate for first time players to pick up easily?

Couldn’t reply last time I tried. Well better late then never. Yes, the f1-3 have no inherit effect. are just used to help charge the Urn. The Urn would have a very small number of charges. But this is only one idea, there are other options. If you have a different idea, I would love to hear it if you have one.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tamora.4603

Tamora.4603

How is it Identical to the guardian? I would understand if you said it was similar to the mesmer, But I don’t see the connection to the guardian at all.

it’s always nice to see that others would like to see a return of the ritualist in gw2. there are quite a few people looking forward to a gw2 ritualist, it seems. i also thought that concept got more in common with the mesmer than with the guardian. not sure if it’s unique enough yet for a new profession, but it’s a start.

like teraphas said, a new profession should bring a mechanic to the table which didn’t exist in the game so far. i had a try on interpretation of a gw2 ritualist! as well. i think i found a unique mechanic for it, at least within the gw2 professions. feel free to suggest improvements, if you like.

in Suggestions

Lily.1935

it’s always nice to see that others would like to see a return of the ritualist in gw2. there are quite a few people looking forward to a gw2 ritualist, it seems. i also thought that concept got more in common with the mesmer than with the guardian. not sure if it’s unique enough yet for a new profession, but it’s a start.

like teraphas said, a new profession should bring a mechanic to the table which didn’t exist in the game so far. i had a try on interpretation of a gw2 ritualist! as well. i think i found a unique mechanic for it, at least within the gw2 professions. feel free to suggest improvements, if you like.

The ritualist was much harder for me to determine what their mechanic would be. I have designed a mechanic for the dervish that would work really well and be really interesting in GW2, that also would be different enough to warrant a mechanic. But the ritualist is a bit hard for me to decode. I’ve been working on how to translate it into GW2 and, although not perfect, I think the start I put isn’t a bad direction for it. I love the idea of using urns as part of a more main focus for the profession then what it was in GW1.

I’ll give you idea a read a bit later. Its super late right now and I should really sleep. So when I do, I’ll give you a reply.