Same downed skills for every profession

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tinius.1380

Tinius.1380

I’ve suggested this during beta feedback time and I’m still supporting the same idea:
For sPvP, give every profession the same, neutral skills for downed mode. Let’s say Auto-Attack, Evade, some Burst/Condition Skill and Heal.
The downed state will be a lot less frustrating for players and a much more tactical element. All said I think.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Chi Malady.2015

Chi Malady.2015

I’ve been advocating for this as well.

The current downed states are completely unbalanced. You’ve got thieves and mesmers on one end of the spectrum who can keep teleporting around indefinitely and then you’ve got elementalists who can’t do anything while downed.

Every class should have the same skills. It doesn’t make sense that a thief can avoid being stomped multiple times, while a warrior or guardian (for example) can only do it once.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hammerheart.1426

Hammerheart.1426

Above poster, how has your name not been banned yet?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaelthun.8729

Kaelthun.8729

Agreed, the downed state for Warriors for example is out of line with what other classes get. The same goes for thieves whose tele ability is on a short enough cooldown to be able to lengthen the process of killing them to the point where it’s common that reinforcements arrive … from the other side of the map. Meanwhile, guardians smile and get to bash enemies back once before they get smashed. Oh, and there’s the symbol heal thing, but that doesn’t come off cd until well after they’ve impaled you.

Not sure how these differences are supposed to encourage competitive play.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Skolops.2604

Skolops.2604

No question. The ranger state sticks out as one which is essentially unrecoverable from apart from immediate teammate assistance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Doctor Orderly MD PhD DDS.7625

Mind you, the classes can be diverse and still balanced. Maybe ele’s are supposed to be garbage when downed, whereas thiefs get teleports. Downed is still a part of the class after all.
Now I for one encourage diversity, but balance needs to be tight to make it all work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

I would support this as well. Downed state is just an extra bonus chance you get to get back up (if there are reinforcements close by). It should not be a whole other complex game. It’s just a few extra seconds…

in Suggestions

Tinius.1380

Push – and agree to the above poster, while disagree to Doctor Orderly […]. Downed state means your last fight for life, where your survival or death should be determined by your skill and your team mates’ behavior.
I don’t get how anyone could seriously approve to the “diversity” of downed skills to make up for imbalances in normal gameplay. That basically means you approve that some classes get downed faster, but then have a ridiculously higher chance of getting back in the game, whilst others gamble for their life in main gameplay and then face instant finish. No sense in that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Searingarrow.4637

Searingarrow.4637

Are you kidding me? This idea is horrible. Perhaps if you wanted to make the game dull and break immersion then sure. But this would make downed state incredibly boring…

Next lets give every profession the same skills when they aren’t downed! Yaaay!

I’m really glad most of you will never be in game design.

in Suggestions

Tinius.1380

I guess YOU are kidding me right now. No offense, but in a competitive mode of gameplay you need to set the same preconditions to a certain extent, which, for me, include the same chances on getting back to life. It’s not like you get downed and get all euphoric about your class-related downed skills. You fight for a second chance and just have VERY different chances depending on your profession. I see downed state as a state everybody wants to get out of as fast as possible. So create the same prerequisites and forget about how diverse and fun it is. My two cents

in Suggestions

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

A terrible idea as far as I’m concerned. The downed mechanic should remain as something unique for each profession. Instead of complaining about what your toolkit could have, learn to make use of what it does have.

in Suggestions

Kal.2376

Are you kidding me? This idea is horrible. Perhaps if you wanted to make the game dull and break immersion then sure. But this would make downed state incredibly boring…

Downed state is the same state for all. There are no passives that affect you there, there are no different weapon skills, no different skills slots that you can choose. Everyone is pretty much “equal” when they are downed… Or at least, they should be.

However, we have different skills that make some downed skills better than others. Why is that? I could understand it if we were given a range of skills we could choose to configure our downed state. That way, sure! having different skills and options is fine. But we can’t. It’s a fixed stated with fixed stats that is given to everyone. So it should be an equal state for all (or at least very close) since we cannot modify it ourselves.

And that is a basic rule of game design… It’s called balance. Downed states currently feel unbalanced between them.

in Suggestions

Searingarrow.4637

Downed state is the same state for all. There are no passives that affect you there, there are no different weapon skills, no different skills slots that you can choose. Everyone is pretty much “equal” when they are downed… Or at least, they should be.

However, we have different skills that make some downed skills better than others. Why is that? I could understand it if we were given a range of skills we could choose to configure our downed state. That way, sure! having different skills and options is fine. But we can’t. It’s a fixed stated with fixed stats that is given to everyone. So it should be an equal state for all (or at least very close) since we cannot modify it ourselves.

And that is a basic rule of game design… It’s called balance. Downed states currently feel unbalanced between them.

Well then balance them… You don’t need to completely remake them to all have essentially the same abilities…

in Suggestions

Kal.2376

Well then balance them… You don’t need to completely remake them to all have essentially the same abilities…

Exactly, and one way to balance them, is to make them equal. Thanks for your support.

I know what you are saying, but it’s not as easy. Again, we have a fixed state where everyone has the same HPs, and only 4 skills. We can’t move, we can’t change weapons, we can’t modify the state. Since that mode is very simplistic, then we need to have very simple skills. Since we cannot “balance” it ourselves by choosing skills, or gear, then it has to be balanced in its “factory default” setting.

This is a temporary mode. We are not meant to be in a downed state for long, so it is fine if it is “boring”, or equal for all. I see no problem with that in such a mechanic.

in Suggestions

Posted by: frOst.2198

frOst.2198

downed state is another element to your class. It is equivalent to another weapon. end of story.

You people need to understand that.

in Suggestions

Searingarrow.4637

Exactly, and one way to balance them, is to make them equal. Thanks for your support.

I know what you are saying, but it’s not as easy. Again, we have a fixed state where everyone has the same HPs, and only 4 skills. We can’t move, we can’t change weapons, we can’t modify the state. Since that mode is very simplistic, then we need to have very simple skills. Since we cannot “balance” it ourselves by choosing skills, or gear, then it has to be balanced in its “factory default” setting.

This is a temporary mode. We are not meant to be in a downed state for long, so it is fine if it is “boring”, or equal for all. I see no problem with that in such a mechanic.

If you intentionally make a mechanic in the game boring then you have failed in game design…

in Suggestions

Tinius.1380

If you intentionally make a mechanic in the game boring then you have failed in game design…

Well, the fact that you want to get out of downed state as quick as possible doesn’t mean it’s a mechanic that was intentionally designed to be boring. It was added as an additional tactical element, and you can discuss whether it improves or deteriorates general (pvp) gameplay, but you can make it equal for everyone without turning it into a completely boring factor. You’ll usually spend 5 to 30 secs in downed mode and be happy if you have a chance to rally or be rezzed, but not think about the enjoyment of being downed itself. That’s what I think you are not considering.

in Suggestions

Tinius.1380

push – sadly, in the suggestions subforum a thread drowns very fast