Sending Alts items in emails

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Why are we not allow to do this?

Even though the bank is shared between all of our alts. I would still want the ability to send alts items and money through the mail. It saves time and bank space when I’m out in the game world.

This feature is in other MMO’s and creates no problems.

in Suggestions

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

That is something that would be very convenient and helps people save trips to the major cities. If this were actually implemented, players wouldn’t have to park characters at bank NPCs and we’d have a much better experience.

Also, +1 for the idea.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I’m pretty sure the reason is because you can’t send mail to yourself. Mail isn’t sent to your characters its sent to your account. If you tried to send mail to your alt it would just show up in your mailbox right there. I’m also fairly certain they want you to go to the bank. They don’t want it to be nearly that simple, so you have to make a choice. Do I hold on to this thing and continue playing, or do I bring it to the bank, or do I just et rid of it and continue playing. Is it worth it to me right now?

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

I’m pretty sure the reason is because you can’t send mail to yourself. Mail isn’t sent to your characters its sent to your account. If you tried to send mail to your alt it would just show up in your mailbox right there. I’m also fairly certain they want you to go to the bank. They don’t want it to be nearly that simple, so you have to make a choice. Do I hold on to this thing and continue playing, or do I bring it to the bank, or do I just et rid of it and continue playing. Is it worth it to me right now?

A message that pops up does say (you can not send mail to yourself). I think alts sharing a email is Anet taking a shortcut and not thing to prevent us from doing things.

If we can’t do this them I have anther idea.

One Account wide access-able bag. In your inventory that has with 4 slots. Anything you put in there will be seen by all Alts.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

One Account wide access-able bag. In your inventory that has with 4 slots. Anything you put in there will be seen by all Alts.

Or you could just go back to the bank eventually.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

People are parking alts at the banks. They shouldn’t need to do that because of Anet laziness.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

People are parking alts at the banks. They shouldn’t need to do that because of Anet laziness.

People park alts in all sorts of places due to game mechanics, and always have. They don’t HAVE to do anything. They choose to do it for ease of use.

Personally I prefer to park them at crafting tables. They’re far more accessible than banks, have banks inside them, and you can also get your crafting done while you’re at it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Evan Lesh

Evan Lesh

PvP Gameplay Programmer

The reason we don’t allow this is to prevent players from having 50 free inventory slots.

Bluxgore (80 Warr), Xilz (80 Necro), Ivo (80 Eng)
Bra (80 Guard), Fixie Bow (80 Ranger), Wcharr (80 Ele)
Xdragonshadowninjax (80 Thief)

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

The reason we don’t allow this is to prevent players from having 50 free inventory slots.

Wouldn’t it only be 10, since your email gets filled up at 10 emails?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Barpat.3516

Barpat.3516

10 emails * 5 slot each one = 50 slots.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ancient highway.4256

ancient highway.4256

If you are out of bank space, form a mule guild. One you create for yourself just to get the guild bank.

But perhaps more important is deciding if everything you are squirreling away really needs to be squirreled away. Are you keeping that Green or Yellow weapon just because it’s Green or Yellow and eventually you may take the time to level a character that can use it? Sell it. By the time you can use it, you’ll have picked up another, or something better, or decide that weapon doesn’t fit the build, or have the coin to buy what you really want on the TP.
Are you stockpiling upgrades because you might eventually decide you want to use one? Or the useless morph potions? Stacks of unused boosters waiting for the perfect time to use them?
You may even have a bank token in your bank that is being ignored, I know I do. With a mule guild, you can build Vault Transports to bring you guild bank to you.
But if you are really insistent on being able to mail something to put something in the mail, buy that 2nd copy of GW2 you’ve been struggling to justify just so you can have a character in every class. Account 1 mails to Account 2 who returns it to Account 1. It’s in the mail.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If you could send mail to each of your alts, your alts could send items to your main.

10 mail slots per character if they did this.

5 character slots from the get go.

5 characters x 10 mail slots = 50 free inventory slots.

And that’s if you haven’t purchased any character slots.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

10 emails * 5 slot each one = 50 slots.

Right, was not concidering there are slots in the email, not just one to one.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

If you could send mail to each of your alts, your alts could send items to your main.

10 mail slots per character if they did this.

5 character slots from the get go.

5 characters x 10 mail slots = 50 free inventory slots.

And that’s if you haven’t purchased any character slots.

This one at least is wrong. Mail is to your account, so you ten emails per acount no matter how many characters you have,

But each email can hold five things, as mentioned above.

in Suggestions

ancient highway.4256

In order for you to be able to mail to an alt, the mail system would have to be changed from account based to character based. 5 accounts X 10 mail X 5 items per mail. 250 free slots.

in Suggestions

Kal Spiro.9745

In order for you to be able to mail to an alt, the mail system would have to be changed from account based to character based. 5 accounts X 10 mail X 5 items per mail. 250 free slots.

No, it would just have to be changed so you can send yourself mail. The mechanics don’t matter though, because the word on high is they don’t want to do that.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bailey.6892

Bailey.6892

Then you have pretty much failed.

I just send it to my brother with the title return to sender yo and then poof it is back instantly.

Just a short step that shouldn’t be necessary to make the game more enjoyable.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chucky.4798

chucky.4798

Well if I send 10 mail (10×5=50 item) to my friend and I ask him to use ‘Return to sender’, and vise versa regularly. Is this exploit?

in Suggestions

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

In short you want more space buy it.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

How about depositing the item to our bank through BL. It could be a new service with a fee even.

(edited by Onshidesigns.1069)

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

I don’t think it’s just 50 slots. Think about it, how often do we hear people complain about not having gotten a particular mail they should have, and after we tell them to delete something from their inbox it magically shows up. So in theory you could mail yourself more than 50 items to store them long term, you just wouldn’t be able to receive mail.

But lets assume it really was cut off at 50 items, you’re honestly telling me all of this inconvenience is to strongarm people into buying more bank tabs?

Really?
It never crossed your minds that even if we could store some stuff in the mail it’s only a temporary solution and we’d end up needing more space eventually anyway?
And that doesn’t even address the fact that I can mail a few things to a friend and have him mail them back to achieve the exact. same. thing.
Or how easy it is to create a one man guild and earn the Influence needed to get the first guild storage for a Free 50 slots…
Or heck, since we have five guild slots and many people are only in 1 or 2 guilds, why not do it 3 times for an extra 150 free slots?

Edit: And since you continue to earn Influence (even at the absolutely pathetic rate you do in a one man guild) you’ll eventually earn enough to add the higher tiers of storage. Do that (or even gets friends to help each other), and finish all 3 out for 750 Free slots!

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

(edited by ScribeTheMad.7614)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Culzean.8571

Culzean.8571

Mailing yourself stuff would make sense if mail was character-bound. It doesn’t make sense because mail is account-bound. Even if it were character-bound, they’d probably only let you do 1 at a time between characters, so you can’t have your mailbox as storage

-Wulf

in Suggestions

Posted by: DryHumour.1307

DryHumour.1307

But everyone would have the same number of slots, so the playing field is level. The current mechanisms are tedious, even with (rather pricey) banker golems. (E.g., as it stands, anyone with a friend online can do this anyway: send to them, they immediately send it back to your alt.)

In any case, there are any number of ways to monetize or otherwise limit this. Off the top of my head:

• One time gem charge to unlock this ability (possibly per character)
  • Charge nominal currency per email in general (would also discourage spam)
  • … or just for item email — possibly scaled to items’ value (ala LOTRO e.g.)
  • … or just for intra-accound email
  • Set a lower limit on the number of in-flight items within an account or per alt
  • Purchasable (gem or currency) carrier pigeon (eagle?) consumables

Note the potentials here for (variously) monetization, currency sinks, and spam reduction. Look at it as an opportunity, rather than a problem.

(Sorry if I sound like a crotchety, entitled gamer. It’s been an especially long week at work, trying to get people to cope with real world software self-inflicted non-problems….)

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

If you are out of bank space, form a mule guild. One you create for yourself just to get the guild bank.

But perhaps more important is deciding if everything you are squirreling away really needs to be squirreled away. Are you keeping that Green or Yellow weapon just because it’s Green or Yellow and eventually you may take the time to level a character that can use it? Sell it. By the time you can use it, you’ll have picked up another, or something better, or decide that weapon doesn’t fit the build, or have the coin to buy what you really want on the TP.
Are you stockpiling upgrades because you might eventually decide you want to use one? Or the useless morph potions? Stacks of unused boosters waiting for the perfect time to use them?
You may even have a bank token in your bank that is being ignored, I know I do. With a mule guild, you can build Vault Transports to bring you guild bank to you.
But if you are really insistent on being able to mail something to put something in the mail, buy that 2nd copy of GW2 you’ve been struggling to justify just so you can have a character in every class. Account 1 mails to Account 2 who returns it to Account 1. It’s in the mail.

It’s not a question of space: it’s one of convenience, particularly if one has multiple alts. Even if you dump items into the bank, you then have to log into each of your alts and pull it back out again. If they’re in the field, it might be some time before it’s convenient to do so, either for “them” or for the player IRL. Doling items out to the ultimate recipient is much more convenient. (I certainly often forget about items I stored away in the bank for an alt and end up having to do tedious vault sweeps across multiple alts to get everything out to those who need it. I realize I have an exceptionally bad memory and may, in any event, be in the minority.)

Keep in mind also that those with lots of alts are also those with more real money invested in the game, which may make it more attractive to Anet to want to improve those players’ game experience….

in Suggestions

ancient highway.4256

15 alts over 2 accounts. I know about the character swap to pull things out of the bank.

But I also know that not every one of my toons are what I would consider active. One account is active only when doing dailies at the moment. The other account, only a daily doer and the main are active. That leaves 12 toons that I can leave parked in the crafting area to craft or access bank as desired. If the new acquired equipment is needed right now on one of the three toons in the field the trip to a crafting table in the field or a city is probably worth it.

WvWvW offers the account and guild bank along with crafting tables and trading post. You can enter it from anywhere. You can exit to Lion’s Arch or go to PvP, then leave PvP and put you right back where you were when you first entered WvWvW You could even go to character selection while in WvWvW and return to the starting point when that character reenters the game. This convenience and flexibility of your character’s actions is already in the game. Yes, there may be a delay entering WvWvW, and if you really can’t wait, just go to the Mists and take the gate to LA, which btw is available in WvWvW also.

in Suggestions

DryHumour.1307

15 alts over 2 accounts. I know about the character swap to pull things out of the bank.

But I also know that not every one of my toons are what I would consider active. One account is active only when doing dailies at the moment. The other account, only a daily doer and the main are active. That leaves 12 toons that I can leave parked in the crafting area to craft or access bank as desired. If the new acquired equipment is needed right now on one of the three toons in the field the trip to a crafting table in the field or a city is probably worth it.

WvWvW offers the account and guild bank along with crafting tables and trading post. You can enter it from anywhere. You can exit to Lion’s Arch or go to PvP, then leave PvP and put you right back where you were when you first entered WvWvW You could even go to character selection while in WvWvW and return to the starting point when that character reenters the game. This convenience and flexibility of your character’s actions is already in the game. Yes, there may be a delay entering WvWvW, and if you really can’t wait, just go to the Mists and take the gate to LA, which btw is available in WvWvW also.

Full disclosure: 8 alts on one account myself, all of which are active since I’m trying to keep them close in level so they can benefit from each other’s finds. Thus the current system is particularly onerous for me.

These are excellent workarounds, and I thank you for mentioning them! But think how much easier and nicer it would be if we didn’t have to do it at all? Particularly having to log out and log in again on the alt and then back again totally breaks the flow of adventuring.

However, given the sheer volume of material in these Suggestion threads, I’m not optimistic that Anet has the resources to even track it all, let alone do something about them (assuming they think it’s warranted in the first place). So workarounds are certainly appreciated!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

How about depositing the item to our bank through BL. It could be a new service with a fee even.

You know you can buy the Bank Access Express from the gem store right?
For the price of a legendary or two you could also get the Permanent Bank Access Contract for every character!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Siliconmana.3816

Siliconmana.3816

In short you want more space buy it.

Think that sums it up. Even Aion aren’t that stingy though. Mail items back and forth to alts there and the cap is around 100 mail.
FYI ANET, that reply indicates a very narrow minded mentality.
In Aion, although l did use mail as storage when all FREE bank slots were used was often to send another character a drop item that it could use. Ever think of that?

Why I stopped playing Aion though was P2P, RNG and gear progression with the promised hopes that those aspects would not be part of Gw2, as in Gw1.
Seems all those early statements before release have been cast aside though.
Really, I play a game for fun, for a sense of satisfaction, not constant frustration.
With Aion, one day l sat down and made a list of Pros and Cons. Guess which won.
It’s very close to that now with Gw2 and l’m very sad about the small mindedness that seems to have permeated the Dev team (imo they need more women there, not just in Art Dept!).

[KnT][KnM] – Blackgate

in Suggestions

Onshidesigns.1069

I way just thinking, if you all can limit how many times we can send a mail.

Then you can write code that can limit the number of mails we can send our alts. And make it so we have to answer those mails before we can send more mail to our alts.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Keep in mind also that those with lots of alts are also those with more real money invested in the game, which may make it more attractive to Anet to want to improve those players’ game experience….

I’ve come to the conclusion that my having spent real money on the game has encouraged ArenaNet to actively try to ruin my gaming experience.

in Suggestions

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

It devalues the usefulness of bags and banks. It also promotes people to not managing their items, which can lead to hording for some people. Isn’t that simple enough to see o.O? You already have no mail boxes (thank the doves that fly and deliver your mail)! How much more easy do you want it xD?

By the way, I don’t think mail has a limit. There’s a 10 mail view limit, but you can have mail stack up beyond that. That’s what I figured when I send mail to my brother during dungeon runs.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

There most be some convenience in having bank consumables.
And even more for unlimited ones.

Sending stuff to your alts without having to travel to a bank is an example of that.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

It appears that if you have two accounts, you get those 50 (actually 100 I guess) free inventory spaces anyway. Since you can just mail your alt account, bounce it back, receive by the other character…

I guess the saving grace is that it makes it more inconvenient to do this, even though it doesn’t actually stop you in any way. We’ve seen this before with the muling trends in Diablo 2, but unlike that situation, this is basically about convenience – you can always visit a bank anyway – so it might not turn into the same kind of farce.

Just that bank NPCs will always be where characters go to log off.

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pixel Seven.5472

Pixel Seven.5472

Well I can just tell my friend to mail back the stuff I mail them.

Server: Desolation
Aliases: Nukkavieru, Äpärä, Vahinkolapsi, Nirpp

in Suggestions

Posted by: pluzoid.2597

pluzoid.2597

You can deposit money in the bank too btw. Bottom right corner.
I understand that some other mmos allow this but I guessing its do with the way they coded the way mailing works.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Spencer.1386

Spencer.1386

Is such a small thing that would be abused by hardly anyone really worth forcing players to run their alts back to town to trade around mini-pets and items? Unless you wanted that to be a gold sink with waypoint costs I suppose.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

(edited by Spencer.1386)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Spencer.1386

Spencer.1386

You wouldn’t have to change anything, you send yourself an item and it shows up in your inbox. Then log onto an alt and the mail is still there waiting.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

in Suggestions

Posted by: kenshinakh.3672

kenshinakh.3672

Well, we do get mail for free and it doesn’t require is to run to a mailbox.

I see it as a trade off vs more traditional mail systems. In GW2, if you run out of space in dungeons, you can always send it off to a trusted friend. However, in most other games where the traditional mail system is used, you can’t, and you’re stuck with holding onto those items. Granted, having mail that can send to alts is nice, but GW2’s mail is a lot more lenient in my opinion. I never lose loot in dungeons whereas the other mail system, I can lose loot and I have to run to a mailbox. (Plus, in those games, you have people crowding the mail boxes… ewwwww).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

Any crafting station is usable for acceding the bank, so you dont need to come to major cities to store / withdraw things from the bank.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

Why are we not allow to do this?

Even though the bank is shared between all of our alts. I would still want the ability to send alts items and money through the mail. It saves time and bank space when I’m out in the game world.

This feature is in other MMO’s and creates no problems.

+1 Definitely should be a feature in this game. Every game i’ve played had this so it don’t make sense why a modern MMO like gw2 don’t have it. Anyone arguing it’s to do with cash shop, storage purchasing etc. is a lame excuse. Are we to be denied every little quality of life because of these things? Even free to play games have these features (for free too) so I expect more from gw2 not only because it’s not a free game to begin with but because I hold it to much higher standards.