Skipping In Dungeons And Other Improvements

in Suggestions

Posted by: De Dam.2961

De Dam.2961

Hello Guild Wars 2 Developers,

Lately I have been writing down some things, which I think, would improve the game, here are the results.

-Dungeons
“Skip this, skip that, skip everything, skip skip skip.” That’s all I see in dungeons these days, and I’m sick of it. It NEVER saves time, it only costs more time because there is always someone who dies later on and then he/she has to walk back, again past those same “skip”-packs, and dies again and again because noone wants to run back to help kill those packs like they were supposed to do in the first place, also, half the time skipping fails in the progress and then the whole group ends up dead and the whole story start over again. I have the perfect solution to this skipping-nonsense : If you run away far enough the enemy will stop chasing you and run back to where it came from, how about skipping that enemy-behavior from dungeons, so this whole useless time-wasting skipping stuff is brought to a halt and we can play dungeons the normal way.

-Points of Interest
It would be really nice to have a log for each discovered point of interest (similar to the one for personal story) with a little background story of the place.

-Heart Events
Every completed heart event sends a letter to your mailbox, after a while your mailbox gets really full from all these letters. I suggest a log similar to the one described above so we can delete all those mails and still read them back whenever we want.

-Vista’s
Well you’ve guessed it, another log, with the option to watch back your discovered Vista’s from the area you are currently standing in.

-Waypoints
The costs of waypoints have been a thorn in the eye for many players, here is a great solution : Lets say you have 100% completion of Gendarran Fields, in that case all waypoints within Gendarran Fields are free of use as long as you are standing IN Gendarran Fields (similar to cities). Since you’ve helped out to make the area a better/saver place it would make sense lore-wise aswell

-Customized Soundtracks Part 1
I love this feature, however I noticed some things, for example : Whenever a (world)boss battle starts, my playlist gets played in the same order every time, so I barely hear a different song for the shorter fights, the same goes for the main menu when you start the game or relog to another character. Is it possible to change this feature so whenever a certain playlist starts, it picks a random song ? And last but not least, could you change it so that we hear City music in Lion’s Arch instead of Ambient ? It IS the main city after all

-Customized Soundtracks Part 2
I’m just throwing out idea’s : There are different types of area’s like forests, swamps, snowy mountains, desert-type area’s, since we can add our own music to the game it would be really sweet if it’s possible to add more playlists for these types of area’s, for example :
-Swamp / SwampNight
-Snow / SnowNight
-etc etc, you can see where I’m going with this hehe
EDIT: and a new one I just thought of , PersonalStory playlist

Well that was all, I hope you can do something with this
Greetings De Dam

Check out my Guild Wars 2 video’s, and more :)
http://www.youtube.com/dedam85

(edited by De Dam.2961)

in Suggestions

Posted by: vanRaamsdonk.8042

vanRaamsdonk.8042

I strongly agree with the skipping part of dungeons, because of the skipping dungeons are not played like Anet designed them. That skipping has to stop.
Also the point about the points of interest seems really interesting to me because when im interested in some background information i can go read the notes about the place of the point of interest, this way ppl will get a better view on the lore in a certain area and maybe they get more interested in the whole area.

(edited by vanRaamsdonk.8042)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

Yes I hate getting into dungeons and all they want to do is speed runs and skip everything. When in reality it takes 2 minutes to down the mob and move on. Like the OP stated that eventually someone dies and you spend more time waiting. Not really sure how to fix the problem with out screwing the rest of the people. Arah you can safely skip certain mobs with no issue and others are skipped because of the tremendous amounts of damages they do. Although wheer I have no issues in Arah for the most part I think that something needs to be done on the issue, even is arah suffers.

Maybe give bosses a buff for each mob that is in a direct path form point A to them, essentially making the boss impossible if you don’t clear the mobs first. I know this is dramatic but I really don’t know how to fix it. I am sure some person that only does “SPEED” runs will come on here and start flaming everyone that doesn’t agree with them but have at it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

“Skip this, skip that, skip everything, skip skip skip.” That’s all I see in dungeons these days, and I’m sick of it.

Then why don’t you start a non skipping group? Why do you deny people the right to play how they want? What makes you the one that should decide how people should play? And finally if skipping is such a terrible idea why do people do it all the time?

It NEVER saves time, it only costs more time because there is always someone who dies later on and then he/she has to walk back, again past those same “skip”-packs, and dies again and again because noone wants to run back to help kill those packs like they were supposed to do in the first place, also, half the time skipping fails in the progress and then the whole group ends up dead and the whole story start over again.

The problem is not the skipping itself, but the fact that people want to do it despite the fact that they are not skilled enough to do it correctly. And since the problem is not the game itself but the people Anet has nothing to fix.

I have the perfect solution to this skipping-nonsense : If you run away far enough the enemy will stop chasing you and run back to where it came from, how about skipping that enemy-behavior from dungeons, so this whole useless time-wasting skipping stuff is brought to a halt and we can play dungeons the normal way.

Removing of leashing trashes was discussed a lot of times and people provided ideas to overcome it and continue to skip. Also for most of people skipping trashes is playing the game normal way. Do you really expect someone who runs a dungeon for nth time to kill all the trashes just because you want them to? People just want the reward and they want it ASAP so they skip. And there is nothing wrong with that, it’s just human nature.

in Suggestions

Phoenix.7845

I strongly agree with the skipping part of dungeons, because of the skipping dungeons are not played like Anet designed them.

No one seems to care about how dungeons should be played. They will continue to play the way they want. I have absolutely no idea why should they do otherwise.

That skipping has to stop.

Not going to happen. People will always chose the path of least resistance.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Doomguard.5094

Doomguard.5094

Regarding soundtrack, I know every other playlist is randomized, is the randomization in the bosses playlist bugged?

in Suggestions

De Dam.2961

“Skip this, skip that, skip everything, skip skip skip.” That’s all I see in dungeons these days, and I’m sick of it.

Then why don’t you start a non skipping group? Why do you deny people the right to play how they want? What makes you the one that should decide how people should play? And finally if skipping is such a terrible idea why do people do it all the time?

It NEVER saves time, it only costs more time because there is always someone who dies later on and then he/she has to walk back, again past those same “skip”-packs, and dies again and again because noone wants to run back to help kill those packs like they were supposed to do in the first place, also, half the time skipping fails in the progress and then the whole group ends up dead and the whole story start over again.

The problem is not the skipping itself, but the fact that people want to do it despite the fact that they are not skilled enough to do it correctly. And since the problem is not the game itself but the people Anet has nothing to fix.

I have the perfect solution to this skipping-nonsense : If you run away far enough the enemy will stop chasing you and run back to where it came from, how about skipping that enemy-behavior from dungeons, so this whole useless time-wasting skipping stuff is brought to a halt and we can play dungeons the normal way.

Removing of leashing trashes was discussed a lot of times and people provided ideas to overcome it and continue to skip. Also for most of people skipping trashes is playing the game normal way. Do you really expect someone who runs a dungeon for nth time to kill all the trashes just because you want them to? People just want the reward and they want it ASAP so they skip. And there is nothing wrong with that, it’s just human nature.

Correction : people try all the time and fail a lot, making a non-skipping group takes hours because almost everyone INSISTS on slack-skipping, nothing but impatient wow-kids out there who want nothing more than a room with a boss who has 1 hp so they have to do one attack, get a chest to loot and have there gems plus experience. And I can say the same for you : if you skippers make a group then clearly state you want to skip instead of doing it the normal way.

You clearly don’t understand. There are 2 problems, the first is that skippers tend to charge in a pack, attack a bit and then run off while the rest is still fighting, like you are supposed to know they want to skip everything when they dont even speak. The second problem is that skipping is possible, so yes, there IS something Arenanet has to fix if they want to help us get rid of that time-wasting skip-nonsense.

It’s not human nature, it’s the nature of impatient kids, taking down a pack takes 1-2 minutes and because of all the stuff I already explained in my original post, AND in this one, it saves atleast 10 minutes, so yes, EVERYTHING is wrong with skipping, and it needs to go back to Pandaria, it has no place in this game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: dontrippy.8906

dontrippy.8906

skipping of mobs in dungeons should be easily fixable if Anet works with a “room” system… meaning there is no way you can get to the next part of the dungeon unless you have killed everything in that room or have met a killing requierment to open up the next room…. though this may be percieved as to confining and even tedious by others yet i do believe that the few minutes you save with skipping don’t matter at all because you can only get the 60 token reward once for each path of a dungeon a day :p…. or have they fixed that by now?

in Suggestions

Posted by: dontrippy.8906

dontrippy.8906

I strongly agree with the skipping part of dungeons, because of the skipping dungeons are not played like Anet designed them.

No one seems to care about how dungeons should be played. They will continue to play the way they want. I have absolutely no idea why should they do otherwise.

That skipping has to stop.

Not going to happen. People will always chose the path of least resistance.

not true, i enjoy fighting a redicalously overwhelming force (sadly there aren’t any in GW2)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Instead of forcing people to play a certain way, make the mobs attractive to kill. The trash mobs don’t drop jack and are a pain to kill. “Trash” mobs in end game content for GW1 dropped ecto/shards/gems. On average you would get as many rare materials of interest from playing the content as popping the chest at the end. I think making this change and nerfing the sata claus chests from the world events would bring more interest to the dungeons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: xRP.5047

xRP.5047

I really wonder if you’d feel the same way about skipping after running a dungeon like TA or CoF for months on end.

“Oh star fall down on me.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Okay, here’s the thing, you, right now, are no different than the speed runners you’re so annoyed with, trying to force your way of doing the dungeons on everyone else.

Don’t give me that “it’s not the way the devs intended it” line, if the devs had truly intended to force you to kill every mob in every room as you went then that’s exactly what we’d have. But we don’t. Hmmm, interesting.
but I digress.

People enjoy dungeons in different ways, that’s the key thing you need to realize. Yes, some just want to get to the end and grab the loot and leave, while others want to “play it how they think is the right way and do everything how they think the devs want it done”, and then there’s actually a group of people who just enjoy seeing how fast they can do it. That is the challenge of the dungeon for them, trying to figure out the most efficient, streamlined path to do it. For them it’s not about the loot, heck dungeon loot in my experience is largely garbage anyway.

Before the game came out ArenaNet talked about dungeons, and while I can’t find the exact article I’m talking about the gist was basically they didn’t want to copy other games and have a system where you ground out the same dungeon/instance over and over hoping for a rare drop, thus we have the token system.
Now, when I heard that I was really excited, that was a fantastic idea.

Except, when the game came out a set of dungeon armor cost 1380 tokens, I was flabbergasted. I immediately started asking around for information on how many tokens you got for a run, which is 60.
Which means to get a full set of dungeon skins you have to run the dungeon twenty three freaking times. And that assumes that that particular dungeon has a set with the stats you’re looking for. If not that means another twenty three runs to get the stat set. (Plus the real money cost of Fine Transmutation stones)
So I’m looking at 23/46 runs for a single set of armor, and you want me to stop and fight every single mobs that happens to cross my path?? Are you nuts?

Now, sometimes I don’t mind doing exactly that, if that’s what the group wants to do, but let me just insert here an example: the whole stopping to kill every mob thing, can mean the difference between a 17 minute run, and a run taking an hour and a half on the same dungeon, same path. And all because several people in the group insisted they knew the “proper” way of doing it.
But like I said, I don’t mind doing that sometimes, but I sure as heck don’t want to do it every stinking time, because even if the skin I want has the right stats, on a 3 path dungeon (AC for example) means doing each path 7-8 times (because story mode gives nil).
That is mind-numbingly irritating, with the current implementation of dungeon rewards, IMO, they completely and utterly failed at delivering on that pre-release article.
At this point some might point out that some of those extra mobs drop bags of (not quite so) wondrous goods, which give extra tokens!
A whole 3 extra tokens, which if you get 3 bags every run takes your total to 69 tokens a run, lowering your total runs all the way….to twenty.

Look, it’s fine to enjoy doing it the way you do it, and there are plenty of people who do, but others of us enjoy the dungeon in different ways, and asking that the dungeon be changed in such a way that only people who enjoy doing it your way can actually enjoy it is pretty mean. Having stuff be optional is great, nay, fantastic. It means you, well, have options, you can choose how to do the dungeon, it allows different player groups to all enjoy it. The speed runners get their enjoyment from quick completion, you get enjoyment from higher reward and more complete completion.
Honestly, each path within a dungeon should have had multiple ways of getting through it, that would really have been interesting (but yes, there would still be people who picked the most efficient way to get from A to B, it’s just how we’re wired and how we enjoy the dungeon).
As a small aside, I will never willingly fight Kohler as he is now, a mere 3 tokens isn’t worth 1/1000 of the annoyance that fight is now (to me), but hey, if you enjoy fighting him go ahead, just…stop trying to make me have to just because you like to.

There are plenty of people falling into each of these categories, it’s just a matter of finding them. Look for a guild where they do everything, they exist, find regulars who want to do it that way, not every dungeon run has to be a pug. Heck, if you aren’t familiar with it gw2lfg.com is great for finding groups, and the site even lets you specify you want to do everything! I have several groups I run with, each with their preferences in how we do things, and I find that makes things more interesting, brings some variety to the table.

Also, nothing against any of the other suggestions, they all seem solid.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

in Suggestions

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Instead of forcing people to play a certain way, make the mobs attractive to kill. The trash mobs don’t drop jack and are a pain to kill. “Trash” mobs in end game content for GW1 dropped ecto/shards/gems. On average you would get as many rare materials of interest from playing the content as popping the chest at the end. I think making this change and nerfing the sata claus chests from the world events would bring more interest to the dungeons.

For starters they could have those fights, like Kohler, drop 20 tokens instead of 3. This would not only make those fights far more worth doing but would also cut into the grind a bit. Not only would I mind those fights less but I’d be able to enjoy the dungeons a bit more without having “yay, I only have to do that 19 more times” hovering in the back of my mind.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

in Suggestions

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

Hello Guild Wars 2 Developers,

I so much agree with this. I mentioned to a group leader that it would be just easier to take the few minutes to kill a few mobs that were repeatedly killing the group. Reply was “NO! ITS NOT FASTER!!” I was then removed from the group. That was my experience in one of my first Explorable Dungeons and I can’t say I really wanted to do them again.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dredg.4890

Dredg.4890

Agreed on the skipping mobs argument.

1. Make mobs have no de-aggro range, make them chase you all over the dungeon.

2. Make all dungeon bosses drop 10 tokens.

3. Emphasize trash as more lucrative – dungeon trash mobs should always drop something.

4. Lock the doors. One thing WoW did right in their dungeons is they forced the combat arena. A boss area should be walled off like the Lornar fight in FOTM.

5. Fix Bugs – I know, ever-ongoing, but there are still plenty of glitches out there that people take advantage of.

in Suggestions

Phoenix.7845

De Dam.2961

Correction : people try all the time and fail a lot, making a non-skipping group takes hours

Strange, because I join a lot of skip runs and people can do it most of the time without problems. Again, this is a problem that people are not skilled enough not the problem with skipping itself. You wrote that it takes hours to make a non skipping group. So people who don’t like skipping are very rare. If skipping was even half bad, as you say it is wouldn’t people embrace the possibility to kill everything and finding a group of people who think like you would take a few minutes?

almost everyone INSISTS on slack-skipping

So skipping, doesn’t work but almost everyone wants to do it – seems legit

And I can say the same for you : if you skippers make a group then clearly state you want to skip instead of doing it the normal way.

You are not the one to decide what is the normal way of doing things. This is defined by what majority of players do and even by reading your posts one can clearly see that skipping is a norm in dungeons right now. So when joining a group I assume they will be skipping because that is what most people do.

The second problem is that skipping is possible, so yes, there IS something Arenanet has to fix if they want to help us get rid of that time-wasting skip-nonsense.

I have absolutely no idea why Anet would try to “fix” skipping after they admitted they consider it as a valid tactic.

EVERYTHING is wrong with skipping, and it needs to go back to Pandaria, it has no place in this game

Can you explain who are you to decide what has a place in gw2 and what does not?

Really you should just state that you don’t want to skip when making a party, advertise on gw2lfg and your problems will be gone. Have fun in CoF p1 bridge

(edited by Phoenix.7845)

in Suggestions

Posted by: tom.7468

tom.7468

3. Emphasize trash as more lucrative – dungeon trash mobs should always drop something.

4. Lock the doors. One thing WoW did right in their dungeons is they forced the combat arena. A boss area should be walled off like the Lornar fight in FOTM.

5. Fix Bugs – I know, ever-ongoing, but there are still plenty of glitches out there that people take advantage of.

Are you serious? running past a mob is a exploit to you? how about just delete all skills but autoattack how fun is that going to be the others are exploits or what?? if you want to kill those mobs that much then do it who is stopping you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ElGreenGo.6734

ElGreenGo.6734

I agree for the most part. It has really annoyed me the way virtually every party I’ve gotten tends to waste more time trying to take short-cuts than it would have taken to just fight our way through. If every one can run by a group of monsters then fine, but don’t get kittened off at me when I don’t understand the route you tried to explain to me to take and get downed. Don’t make me waypoint by myself so I can try and fail again. There are some areas where you could work as a team to take out a couple of key monsters and then run by the rest but most of the groups I’ve been in insist on just trying to run by them all, then inevitably one or two of us get downed. If you are in your own regular, well rehearsed group, do whatever you want but when you have a group of mostly strangers don’t expect us to know all your short-cuts through the level.

What really irritates me the most is the emphasis that there seems to be on not just skipping your way through a dungeon, but cheating your way through. A majority of the groups I’ve been a part of have tried exploiting one thing or another. Whether it is attacking mobs through a thin wall (or in the case of Vallog, from under him), or trying to get a boss in a position so he glitches out. I still don’t know the intended path through the Asura route in CM because the one time I played it my party climbed up on top of the level and skipped to the boss by dropping through the ceiling.

Beyond fixing exploits, I think ArenaNet should try to disincentivize skipping and at the same time make it less of a grind. As mentioned before, give more drops for trash mobs, occasionally let them drop tokens. Make sure every boss drops some tokens, 10 does sound like a pretty fair number. I don’t know about removing the de-aggro range, but maybe increase it a little for every mob you skip (save for the ones that you seem to be intended to skip, like that large group in CM that has the convenient ramp around them), capped at some point.

As far as Waypoints go, I don’t know about making them free, but a discount within an area after 100%ing it would be nice.

in Suggestions

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

I am against this.

Instead, Anet should just remove trash mobs.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dredg.4890

Dredg.4890

Are you serious? running past a mob is a exploit to you? how about just delete all skills but autoattack how fun is that going to be the others are exploits or what?? if you want to kill those mobs that much then do it who is stopping you.

Where did I say that running past a mob is an exploit?

But, to humor your argument, a mesmer porting everyone into the dredge fractal is an exploit to me, while running past kholer in AC is not an exploit, just cowardly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CapN Biku.6024

CapN Biku.6024

I’m not much for skipping but it does happen that the group I’m in wants to skip and I don’t see any problem with it (although I mostly just run with the same group and they are quite experienced, so we don’t fail very often)
However I do see a big problem if there’s no communication in the group, do you try asking them if they want to skip or do everything? Because that could help you know what to do.
If they don’t answer or communicate in any way I would leave that group because no communication is in most cases a lot worse than skipping or MF gear or anything else people complain about in dungeons. Especially if one person hasn’t done the dungeon over 9000 times.

in Suggestions

Posted by: rgrwng.4072

rgrwng.4072

when the dungeon is not as dynamic as the first 100+ play-throughs, the patterns of AI routes, leashes, mid-dungeon event locations (like the troll in AC), remembering their locations or strategies i think gets kind of boring. when you throw in repetition, dungeons become too predictable to be fun, anymore.

TA has multiple paths groups can take, but after memorizing them all (like in my guild) it gets very boring and tedious, because the dungeon doesn’t dynamically alter itself.

maybe if the dungeon layout changed each time, it would not feel as repetitious. the dungeon objectives are in the same place, the way(s) to get there are never different, either. maybe if the boss order changed, or something, and their locations varied (instead of in the really big room, maybe in a hallway nearby). maybe change up the order of Lupi’s “phases”, i don’t know. eventually though, players are going to remember those “new” patterns, so maybe that isn’t a viable solution.

(edited by rgrwng.4072)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Runiir.6425

Runiir.6425

Random trash (changing hwat each group consists off at random), remove leashing so if you aggro a group you have to kill them. After all this is a dungeoun and open world rules should not apply here, you are invading a base…an enemy stronghold. They should never “give up” the pursuit of you. If you want to skip, gotta be smart, not just outrun them.
Make explorable mode…actually explorable with all bosses there. Take all the paths and open all of them so the players can full clean the entire dungeoun and get credit for all 3 paths without leaving the place once.

in Suggestions

De Dam.2961

De Dam.2961

Correction : people try all the time and fail a lot, making a non-skipping group takes hours

Strange, because I join a lot of skip runs and people can do it most of the time without problems. Again, this is a problem that people are not skilled enough not the problem with skipping itself. You wrote that it takes hours to make a non skipping group. So people who don’t like skipping are very rare. If skipping was even half bad, as you say it is wouldn’t people embrace the possibility to kill everything and finding a group of people who think like you would take a few minutes?

almost everyone INSISTS on slack-skipping

So skipping, doesn’t work but almost everyone wants to do it – seems legit

And I can say the same for you : if you skippers make a group then clearly state you want to skip instead of doing it the normal way.

You are not the one to decide what is the normal way of doing things. This is defined by what majority of players do and even by reading your posts one can clearly see that skipping is a norm in dungeons right now. So when joining a group I assume they will be skipping because that is what most people do.

The second problem is that skipping is possible, so yes, there IS something Arenanet has to fix if they want to help us get rid of that time-wasting skip-nonsense.

I have absolutely no idea why Anet would try to “fix” skipping after they admitted they consider it as a valid tactic.

EVERYTHING is wrong with skipping, and it needs to go back to Pandaria, it has no place in this game

Can you explain who are you to decide what has a place in gw2 and what does not?

Really you should just state that you don’t want to skip when making a party, advertise on gw2lfg and your problems will be gone. Have fun in CoF p1 bridge

all in all, skipping is a fail and needs to fixed.

in Suggestions

De Dam.2961

Regarding soundtrack, I know every other playlist is randomized, is the randomization in the bosses playlist bugged?

yes you’re right, they are randomized, but not (world)bosses and the MainMenu, and also in Ascalon area’s it always plays the same songs in the same order in Ambient, so whenever you do a battle with lots of enemies and the music changes back to Ambient its the same one again, sometimes it just resets by itself i’m not sure why but this is only in Ascalon area’s

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaiwen.1520

Kaiwen.1520

Actually, trash mobs in dungeons are fail and need to be removed.

Why even have trash mobs in dungeons? If I want to fight normal creatures, I can do it all day in the open world. What do they add to dungeons? Grind. That’s what.

Gimme traps. Gimme interesting, challenging boss fights with unique tactics caused by unique terrain. Gimme puzzles. Gimme anything but more autoattack-worthy trash mobs.

Keep those mundane trash mobs in the open world environment where they belong. They add nothing to dungeons.

(Trash mobs can be good if set up with extra mechanics, like gauntlets or gathering items while running through the trash. But hallway after hallway of trash mobs just to get to the next boss fight? No thanks.)

in Suggestions

Posted by: luwe.1496

luwe.1496

Making trash mobs not drop aggro makes it easier to skip, doesn’t it? Someone just needs to aggro all the trash mobs and bring them to an out of the way location and die there. Then if the mobs don’t automatically go back to their starting locations then everyone can just skip freely.

in Suggestions

De Dam.2961

Actually, trash mobs in dungeons are fail and need to be removed.

Why even have trash mobs in dungeons? If I want to fight normal creatures, I can do it all day in the open world. What do they add to dungeons? Grind. That’s what.

Gimme traps. Gimme interesting, challenging boss fights with unique tactics caused by unique terrain. Gimme puzzles. Gimme anything but more autoattack-worthy trash mobs.

Keep those mundane trash mobs in the open world environment where they belong. They add nothing to dungeons.

(Trash mobs can be good if set up with extra mechanics, like gauntlets or gathering items while running through the trash. But hallway after hallway of trash mobs just to get to the next boss fight? No thanks.)

finally someone with a different good solution

also to add to the costumized soundtracks : in Ascalon and Maguum area’s i hear two differnt songs but they keep repeating forever, its so annoying

in Suggestions

Phoenix.7845

Nope, users who can’t skip properly are fail, but I doubt Anet can fix them

in Suggestions

Runiir.6425

Making trash mobs not drop aggro makes it easier to skip, doesn’t it? Someone just needs to aggro all the trash mobs and bring them to an out of the way location and die there. Then if the mobs don’t automatically go back to their starting locations then everyone can just skip freely.

Not if you alter aggro in dungeouns so if one person aggros everyone gets the aggro. No matter where you go they hunt and destroy, and without the ability to revive while in combat, no one ever gets out of combat untill finally the last person drops.

Dungouns=enemy strongholds…they are ready, prepared, and know every inch of the place they are holding. Thus there should be only one option, fight for every step you take and leave a pile of corpses in your wake.

in Suggestions

Phoenix.7845

Dungouns=enemy strongholds…they are ready, prepared, and know every inch of the place they are holding. Thus there should be only one option, fight for every step you take and leave a pile of corpses in your wake.

Yeah but most people don’t care about RP, so argument like this isn’t convincing. Also removing mob leashing won’t stop speed clearing, people will always find a way.

in Suggestions

De Dam.2961

Nope, users who can’t skip properly are fail, but I doubt Anet can fix them

nice try, but that doesn’t work, people dont speak if they want to slack-skip, if you dont want to do it the normal way then say it BEFORE inviting people or asking for a group. not hard

in Suggestions

Posted by: Orc Slayer.2780

Orc Slayer.2780

Correction : people try all the time and fail a lot, making a non-skipping group takes hours because almost everyone INSISTS on slack-skipping, nothing but impatient wow-kids out there who want nothing more than a room with a boss who has 1 hp so they have to do one attack, get a chest to loot and have there gems plus experience. And I can say the same for you : if you skippers make a group then clearly state you want to skip instead of doing it the normal way.

You clearly don’t understand. There are 2 problems, the first is that skippers tend to charge in a pack, attack a bit and then run off while the rest is still fighting, like you are supposed to know they want to skip everything when they dont even speak. The second problem is that skipping is possible, so yes, there IS something Arenanet has to fix if they want to help us get rid of that time-wasting skip-nonsense.

It’s not human nature, it’s the nature of impatient kids, taking down a pack takes 1-2 minutes and because of all the stuff I already explained in my original post, AND in this one, it saves atleast 10 minutes, so yes, EVERYTHING is wrong with skipping, and it needs to go back to Pandaria, it has no place in this game.

no, you’re wrong. skipping = faster. if u think otherwise it’s because u don’t know what u r doing or u do not know how to play/trait your chars

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

skipping of mobs in dungeons should be easily fixable if Anet works with a “room” system… meaning there is no way you can get to the next part of the dungeon unless you have killed everything in that room or have met a killing requierment to open up the next room…. though this may be percieved as to confining and even tedious by others yet i do believe that the few minutes you save with skipping don’t matter at all because you can only get the 60 token reward once for each path of a dungeon a day :p…. or have they fixed that by now?

Yeah, I’m all for this approach, a la Painkiller.

Although I also think ArenaNet should look at WHY people want to skip so much. Perhaps there’s too much trash?
In AoC, high level dungeons that required 6 people were very short comparatively, yet required a high degree of skill and coordination to complete. So while I hated how traditional the overall game was, I admired their 6 man dungeons. GW2 could learn a thing or 2 from AoC’s “Rise of the Godslayer” expansion.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux.1937

Faux.1937

IMO it is fun to skip sometimes, I do lots of dungeons, I to skip and don’t skip, some parts of TA where you kitten some mobs is b.c it is not fun to fight some of those mobs, not fun at all.

Some dungeons it makes it faster to skip, like the bridge in CoF p1, I rather skip that. But sometimes we don’t skip and we even go after some mobs that you don’t have to kill, it depends on the mob type and the dungeon.

If there is a group of mobs that all do KB/KD each ever 4-5sec well yeah we are going to skip that group b.c being KB/KD is not fun lol.

IMO the problem with dungeons are the rewards are so great they have to make a simple level 35 dungeon end game content.

Why not just make low level dungeons… low level dungeons, 30-60 tokens for a level 40 rare armor piece would be great IMO and make those low level dungeons more “noob” friendly.

The they can add in a (Like gw1) more of a Hard Mode to all Dungeons where you can get level 80 Exotics just for completing it, but make it longer and harder, where you cant skip anything.

SAB or RIOT

in Suggestions

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Allow me to be the radical in the room and suggest that if CC actually controlled stuff, skipping would be more than pray and run. That way you could CC your way past the trash rather than banzai thru and hope everyone makes it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Faux Play.6104

Faux Play.6104

Make the trash mobs less trash and people will kill them. If you got on average 30 tokens from drops for doing the trash and 30 at the end more people might kill them. Or maybe make double token bonus for vanquishing the dungeon path. Right now there really is no incentive to kill them. They take a long time to fight, they are annoying, and you don’t get anything worthwhile from them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RebelYell.7132

RebelYell.7132

If they changed it so that trash packs didn’t have so much HP and DPS in dungeons, people would enjoy fighting them. In City of Heroes, I would always set instances to be scaled to the size of an eight man party, even if I was soloing, because huge packs in that game were that much fun to fight.

User was infracted for being awesome.

in Suggestions

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Make the trash mobs less trash and people will kill them. If you got on average 30 tokens from drops for doing the trash and 30 at the end more people might kill them. Or maybe make double token bonus for vanquishing the dungeon path. Right now there really is no incentive to kill them. They take a long time to fight, they are annoying, and you don’t get anything worthwhile from them.

Kinda like how DDO does it with XP? you get an amount pr quest but certain activity within each quest, like breaking a certain percentage of objects, killing a number of mobs and so on, result in bonus XP.

The obvious question will be if it is worth the extra time spent vs just skipping, grabbing the base tokens and repeating.

in Suggestions

Runiir.6425

Yeah but most people don’t care about RP, so argument like this isn’t convincing. Also removing mob leashing won’t stop speed clearing, people will always find a way.

If you remove mob leashing, they never stop, they follow you throught he dungeoun. you aggro 3 groups you now fight those groups and the boss, they do not stop chasing.