Suggestions from a experienced MMO gamer

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolftech.6950

Wolftech.6950

Before I get to my suggestions, I should tell you a bit about myself so that you know where I am coming from. I have been a gamer for decades (started as a child in the late 70s on pinball, pong, Space Invaders, Atari 2600 and D&D). My first MMOs (not counting MUDs) were Meridian 59, the Neverwinter Nights and Ultima Online. I have played (and beta tested) several MMOs (with WoW from Dec 2004-present) over the years, so I like to think I have some experience. I am not a big PVP player so I passed on the first Guild Wars. I pre-ordered this one because several of my guild were doing the same. I played it for a few months and was not happy with the PVP focus of the game. A few months ago, I picked it up again and have been having a lot of fun (so much, I play it more than WoW these days) but there are a few things I have noticed that I would love to see implemented.

• Moveable/Adjustable UI – I realize this is a big one but not having the ability to allow a player to move and individually scale UI elements (or hide necessary ones) is a serious design flaw, in my opinion. It is 2013 not 2003.
  • Toggle for neutral/quest/resource nameplates. – I can turn players and mobs on and off, but if I want to see quest objects and resources, I have to hold down a button? This is probably one of my biggest annoyances that would be a simple fix.
  • Ranger Pet name permanence. It really breaks immersion to see “juvenile XXXX” when you should see the pets name just because you swapped to a different pet in that slot.
  • Crafting and Achievements on separate windows. The Hero panel should be just for equipping items and traits/abilities.
  • Total item count on tooltip. I would love the ability to mouse over something in my inventory and know how many I have on hand. Even if was restricted to collectables, it would make life a lot easier.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

1- Never had a problem with it and a lot of people probably feel the same, since this is the first complaint I see about it
2- not really a problem
3- I don’t have a ranger
4- Please don’t do this anet
5- I don’t get it, mouse over something and see how many you have, I think we have that.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

in Suggestions

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

1. GW had this in 2005, it’s still just as relevant and useful today. Having to focus on the top of the screen to see a health bar, then the bottom to see skills is exactly why I rearranged my UI in GW.

2. This is terribly frustrating. Even if I toggle the friendly and enemy options, I still have to hold down a button to see the neutral objects on screen.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stormdancer.4972

Stormdancer.4972

It’s really ridiculous that pet names aren’t remembered. C’mon, guys.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

• Moveable/Adjustable UI – I realize this is a big one but not having the ability to allow a player to move and individually scale UI elements (or hide necessary ones) is a serious design flaw, in my opinion. It is 2013 not 2003.

It’s not a design flaw, it’s intentional. The reasoning behind it is they probably want to have control over our interface. Same reasons they keep slapping all interactions on the F button.

in Suggestions

Posted by: melonLord.8712

melonLord.8712

I don’t understand why people are defending the inability to customize the interface. I’m fine with it the way that it is but if someone has a problem with it why not give them the option to change it? I think people are too often getting into the “it doesnt affect me so its not a problem” mindset.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Euthymia.4807

Euthymia.4807

It’s not a design flaw, it’s intentional. The reasoning behind it is they probably want to have control over our interface. Same reasons they keep slapping all interactions on the F button.

I kind of agree. Everyone has the same UI everyone’s on the same level playing field. You let people move items around and next thing they’ll demand is to have UI add-ons.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wolftech.6950

Wolftech.6950

I kind of agree. Everyone has the same UI everyone’s on the same level playing field. You let people move items around and next thing they’ll demand is to have UI add-ons.

I am sorry but exactly how is the ability to move stuff around in the UI an advantage? If everyone can do it, then it is STILL a level playing field. And the ability to move around the UI and scale it (which from my understanding GW1 had, that makes the lack of it in GW2 a backwards step) is not the same as wanting addons, so to use that as a defense makes no sense.