Tengu as a playable race!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Malagantz.8542

Malagantz.8542

I think it would be awesome if they added an expansion where players were allowed to play as a Tengu, they are so mysterious and awesome looking, and it would be easy to make a story they could come out declaring war on one or all of the races and have these incredible war machines that no one, not even the Iron legion has seen, so that the other races have to bond together to defeat the massive Tengu invasion, I thought this would be a really cool expansion, maybe since there birdlike they could have flying war machines, that would be cool, but don’t we all want to know whats on the other side of that wall? Cool expansion idea

in Suggestions

Posted by: Charlie.3062

Charlie.3062

I don’t think war machines would fit their lore or back story. I don’t know if your played GW1 but firstly even though we don’t know much they are in the dominion of winds (the place behind the wall) to seclude themselves from the rest of the world after most of the got kicked out of Catha by Royal decree. So even though this would be pretty awesome and Tengu do seem most likely to be the next playable race, they will probably introduce it in some other way,
Also to note is that the dominion of winds is split into 3 tribes I believe, so the more likely scenario would be that there is infighting because (as is true) the tribe’s having different cultures + beliefs caused a disagreement where one of them has been expelled or waged war by/on the other two.
This would give reason for the gate in the wall to open to allow people in and out and it would give the Tengu their enemy of the same race, as the:
Humans have the Bandits
Sylvari have the Nightmare Court
Asura have the Inquest
Char have the Flame Legion
and the Norn have the Sons of Svanir
I cant remember what the tribes are called, and I might have got this wrong are there is only 2 tribes, but I’m pretty sure there are three.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

I thought they all returned to the Dominion of winds with zhaitans tsunami taking that as a sign.

Also there are 5 known clans

And 4 Houses within the Dominion one for each wind.

It is possible they could have a clan disagree with the emperors decisions to unite with the other races and add another isolationist enemy. They could then have the remaining 4 clans and have your personal story having you align with a House as well

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seraph.6145

Seraph.6145

We gotta wait ’till they release expansion with Cantha, I think!

You know – join the Resistance Fighters against Evil Emperor and help bring peace and freedom to Cantha, so that every race, and every Faction could live together without further conflicts.

Tengu are essential here, coz they lost their homes due to Emperor’s politics, besides:

- In Japanese folklore, Tengu are a class of supernatural creatures. Similarly, tengu clothing and personality appears inspired by ancient Japanese culture, including Bushido.

- According to the Making of Guild Wars 2 book, the Tengu were a strong candidate for the playable races, with the Dominion of Winds to be their starter city.

Be patient, friends, we will have Tengu, and we will help them go back to their home!
It is inevitable…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dondarrion.2748

Dondarrion.2748

Yes to seeing both Tengu and Kodan as playable races!

But thinking like Seraph we won’t see them until an expansion comes out.

Lord Sazed / Hasla the Huntress / Seaguard Hala
Seamarshal Belit / Initiate Xun Tsu / Mistwarden Roshone
Seafarer’s Rest | Northerner @ Dragon Season

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bron.9647

Bron.9647

As Teraphas has said there [were] 5 Tengu tribes in the past (the wiki says they lived throughout Tyria and Cantha and maybe even other places, like Elona). As Teraphas also said, there are currently 4 clans inside the Dominion of Winds (each named after one of the 4 winds, North, South, East, and West), they’re hometown in GW2.

The wiki also says the Tengu “currently remain neutral in all conflicts and are deciding which other races shall be their allies and who their foes.” This is the reason given as to why they are not a playable race at this time and maybe as Charlie suggests there will be a clan that disagrees with the other clans as to who to side with (or maybe a faction seperate from the clans), leading to a civil war among the Tengu or a rebellious group. The wiki goes on to say the Tengu “also appear to possess lost knowledge of the Elder Dragons, though the extent of this is unknown beyond the Elder Dragons having risen in the past. However, some tengu believe that the dragons have not yet made their move and what’s seen is only the beginning.” So, the Tengu seem to have a good reason to join the other races in the fight against the dragons.

As Seraph said, the Tengu were a strong candidate for a playable race before GW2 was released. Furthermore, the Tengu seem to already be set up to become a playable race at some point (they’re home city is already in the game and very visible). These points coupled with the simple fact that many people seem to want to play a Tengu (myself included), makes me think that ArenaNet will at some point decide to follow through with their initial intentions of making the Tengu a playable race. For all I know, they may already have this addition planned as part of an expansion…and honestly, adding a new race would definitely take a lot of work, so I could easily see them waiting till they release an expansion before adding a new race.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tengu

(edited by Bron.9647)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

Only thing is that I hope to see before the tengu become playable is for charr armor to be fixed. Seeing as the tengu use the same skeletal model as the charr they will suffer the same as charr do now.

Of course anet could also add tengu thru living story and not go the whole expansion route. Not sure they have the resources to pump content out evety 2 weeks and build up a traditional expansion worth as well. If anything I could see them going with an approach closer to dcuo and release tengu as part of living story but charge 800 gems to unlock the ability to build tengu characters. I wouldn’t mind spending 5 or 10 bucks to get tengu. I do hope of they do this that down the line when and if they release another playable race or class that they make the previously released ones free. Thus doubling the surge of returning players, those that come back for the newest race and those that didn’t buy the tengu the first time around but will try the now that it’s free. End result is more population which keeps the game feeling alive.

They also need to hype it thru major media and not just normal gw2 news sites. Putting it up as a micro transaction lets them bill it as a boost expansion, generate capital and get old players to come back that have been waiting for the expansion word to drop as they don’t know what the living world is about. They are used to other games where a patch isminor tweaks and balances. Not cchunks of content every 2 weeks. They see patch and barely pay attention.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

Tengu? Warmachine?
Nononono that doesn’t fit. Besides Tengu already got some lore behind them, even if most of it dates back to GW1.
Also are you suggesting players divided into two warring fractions? Not gonna happen I’m afraid, certainly hope not anyway.

Although I can see the reasoning of “we wont see them untill we go to Cantha”, I am not so sure why it should be so. Their capital city (Domion of Winds) is in Tyria. Not all the tengu tribes came from Cantha, only two of them infact (Angchu and Sensali). The other 3 are from Tyria. Shiverpeaks, Kryta and Tarnished coast respectively (Avicara, Caromi and Quetzal).
Even if their name comes from Japanese folklore, it doesn’t mean overly much. Asura afterall are either Hindi deities or Budhist powerbeings. Norn are infact a group of all female deities ruling destiny, (like the fates of the Greek myths).

Clearly the origin of the name and the name in GW2 is not to be understood the same way.
The Quetzal tribe is named after some very colorful, tropical, birds, from South America. If anything tengu like all the other races would be a mix of different cultures and myths and stuff. Keeping maybe some to the Asian theme, but not being bound by it.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Seraph.6145

Seraph.6145

Keeping maybe some to the Asian theme, but not being bound by it.

Not being bound by it? Hmh..
Take a look at this, pal:

Tengu (???, “heavenly dog”) are a type of legendary creature found in Japanese folk religion and are also considered a type of Shinto god (kami) or y?kai (supernatural beings).
Although they take their name from a dog-like Chinese demon (Tiangou), the tengu were originally thought to take the forms of birds of prey, and they are traditionally depicted with both human and avian characteristics.
The earliest tengu were pictured with beaks, but this feature has often been humanized as an unnaturally long nose, which today is widely considered the tengu’s defining characteristic in the popular imagination.

Buddhism long held that the tengu were disruptive demons and harbingers of war. Their image gradually softened, however, into one of protective, if still dangerous, spirits of the mountains and forests.
Tengu are associated with the ascetic practice known as Shugend?, and they are usually depicted in the distinctive garb of its followers, the yamabushi.

As you can see – they’re very Asian-themed…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeefa.3915

Zeefa.3915

@Seraph. I know that, but if you followed the real life counterpart in everything, GW2 would be a very very different game.

Are norn in GW all female deities? Do asura seem at all budhist/hindi themed?

Tengu already lived in Kryta, Shiverpeaks and the Maguuman/Tarnished Coast far from Cantha. Only 2 of the 3 tribes were from Cantha. And at least one of the tribes have a named that comes from somewhere entirely different (Quetzal, being the name of a South American bird, which was named after an Aztec deity).

I certainly think Tengu would do well in asian theme, but I see no reason for them to wait till we see Cantha, as it is far from the homeland for all of the tengu and their Capital is afterall in Tyria.

Try reading the entire post next time.

Life doesn’t stop being funny just because the dead can’t laugh.