Thief Appearance

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeranima.2853

Aeranima.2853

Hello Arenanet and fellow Guild Wars 2 players.

Been disturbed by the thief’s appearance for some time now. Why is it that Thieves looks more often like an Engineer/Cowboy than a Thief in most clothing. There’s only a few “Ninja” appearances. Where’s the Samurai? I’ve only seen 1 Samurai look and it’s the Charr – Cultural Tier 3 armor which in my opinion is the closest to the Samurai theme.

Samples:
http://cartoonjapanese.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ninja3.jpg
http://www.worldofjapan.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/bushido.jpg
(Forum codes didn’t work for instant preview)

Let me know what you think. I’m tired of all the robes…

Attachments:

Xifix | Thief

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

I agree to some degree, but there are some cool medium armor that fits thieves. Order of Whisper armor definitely fits the thief look for example. It would be cool to see something like that, however, you must remember that it is a thief class, not a ninja. There is a difference. I agree somewhat because medium armor IMO didn’t get as much attention as light or heavy. Only some armors really look good.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hermes.7014

Hermes.7014

I agree. There’s quite not a lot of variety in medium equipment looks.

Beside something Ninja-inspired I’d also like to see something more tight like the Duelist set, but less revealing. Perhaps like a combat full suit, ala G.I. Joe’s Baroness or Marvel’s Black Widow.

Whether something is either wrong or right, someone will always complain about it.

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Aeranima.2853

Aeranima.2853

I like to put some realism into MMORPG’s with my suggestions and that what I am doing unfortunately. ^^ I’f I am a Thief (which I am) I still want to play around with my appearance. I still use smokescreen and traps (as a ninja) and can use a sword (like a samurai/warrior/soldier) so why can’t I look like ones?

Xifix | Thief

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I’m with you on this one. It’s going to be difficult to find a solution to this one, since the three tiers of armor (light, medium, heavy) must serve multiple classes. Still, I like to think of my thief character as kind of a sneaky ninja — and it’s hard to do that when I’m wearing this dumpy trenchcoat. There’s not really one style that suits a ranger, thief, and engineer equally well.

While we’re on this topic: the PIRATE COAT?! Really? I couldn’t come up with an uglier piece of gear if I tried. I was glad to finally get rid of that one. :-P

http://media-ascalon.cursecdn.com/attachments/1/958/634858098922333010.jpg

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Adine.2184

Adine.2184

Where’s the Samurai?

Thievery would have been completely against the bushido code that Samurai subscribe to and would likely commit seppuku if caught . Not only that but they were the equivalent of a Knight in Europe so medium armor wouldn’t exactly be a fit for Samurai armor . Not exactly the best example there .

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

Where’s the Samurai?

Thievery would have been completely against the bushido code that Samurai subscribe to and would likely commit seppuku if caught . Not only that but they were the equivalent of a Knight in Europe so medium armor wouldn’t exactly be a fit for Samurai armor . Not exactly the best example there .

Woman weren’t weren’t popularly fighters, even if they were they wouldn’t wear skimpy armor like we have in the game. That doesn’t fit really, yet it’s there. Technically that may be true irl, but remember, this is a gw2. Also remember it would be added as medium armor in general, not just for thieves.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

I think thief armor should make them look like a cartoon character, with bulging muscles like popeye and daggers that look 10 feet long, so they have no option but to perma stealth as being seen would be too embarassing. Oh wait, they can perma stealth already- who cares what they look like when no one can see them?

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Oglaf.1074

Oglaf.1074

Wait a minute…

Thieves are not Samurais!

I can understand the Ninja comparison, but Samurais?

I can do thirty Five-Dolyak Arm Curls.

Do you even lift, bro?

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Imperatora.7654

Imperatora.7654

Where’s the Samurai?

Bushido (and chivalry) only really applied when dealing with others of equal or greater social status. A samurai could walk up to a peasant’s house, say “give me everything you own”, and if they didn’t he would be well within his rights at the time to cut their head off and make the same demand to the next person in line.

Heck, it was common for them to torture and kill people who didn’t bow fast enough or deep enough for their liking. Or, just because they wanted to test the edge on their new sword, or because the sky was cloudy and they wanted to see red… basically any reason they wanted.

IF the other person was a peasant.

Bushido wasn’t all sunshine and roses and honour…

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Soufflenoir.9016

Soufflenoir.9016

I don’t like the cowboy or Fallout’s style for medium armor. Not in Guild War’s world.
Or maybe for Engineers.
I don’t like Ranger-Thiefs with Cowboy-Pirate hat, long coat or anything like that. You need to be quick, light, undetected. Without Unnecessary stuff.
The game needs more pants, tight leggings, shorts or Catwomen’s suit ( )

Take a look to my Post for light and medium armor
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/GW1-armors/first#post1055958

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

Would be nice to release armors like what OP provided in the Canthan expansion.

Don’t see skins like those originating from Tyria at all.

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Shayleen.8964

Shayleen.8964

Hello Arenanet and fellow Guild Wars 2 players.

Been disturbed by the thief’s appearance for some time now. Why is it that Thieves looks more often like an Engineer/Cowboy than a Thief in most clothing. There’s only a few “Ninja” appearances. Where’s the Samurai? I’ve only seen 1 Samurai look and it’s the Charr – Cultural Tier 3 armor which in my opinion is the closest to the Samurai theme.

Samples:
http://cartoonjapanese.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ninja3.jpg
http://www.worldofjapan.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/bushido.jpg
(Forum codes didn’t work for instant preview)

Let me know what you think. I’m tired of all the robes…

It’s funny you say that. I also find that not only do Thieves look like rangers (in my opinion), Engineers look that way as well. I made a Charr Engi and now looking at tier 3 cultural armor skins I notice they are designed for rangers…

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Narcemus.1348

Narcemus.1348

ArenaNet’s really good about releasing more content, especially when it comes to armor designs. I’d say just let them know where your interest lies and wait for the show. More than likely they will release some new skins when they release the Ascended Armor

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kaimick.5109

Kaimick.5109

I am not disagreeing with you but where does it say that a “Thieve” Needs to look like a Ninja or some form of Japanese warrior?

Hell even in D&D Rouges/ Infiltrators/ Thieves/ assassins/ any prestige class of the Rouge don’t necessary have the “Ninja” look. Even in LoTR ( not the video MMO game) the progenitor of kitten near all the Fantasy Role Playing games out now from D&D to Exalted to Pathfinder and beyond don’t label their rouge/ thieve classes or arch-type as ninja’s
I am just trying to find out why you specifically keyed in on Japaneses culture, rather than the Hooded cloak or shadow figure is all?

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: DaMunky.6302

DaMunky.6302

Yeah, because if you want to look like Altair / Ezio, one of my friends has an outfit he’s using that is pretty darn spot-on. (Couldn’t tell you what it was, off the top of my head, but I’m just saying I know it’s possible.)

My thief, on the other hand, is trying very hard to look as much like a cowboy as possible! I love my leather patrol coat, and I can’t wait to get the commando set. Now if I can just find a dagger that looks more like a buck knife..

Dear lord, what have I done? – Matthew Medina, Gw2 Content Designer

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I’m not all that much of a fan of Japanese-themed things, especially if it just doesn’t fit the rest of the game.

That said: it’s amusing you think the Medium Armor sets look too Engineer-themed, as there have been threads on the Engineer forums about how the Medium Armor sets look too Thief-themed.

Thief Appearance

in Suggestions

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

Honestly, I think the Thief appearance is pretty much dead on. There really isn’t a period in history where thieves dressed up like ninjas or samurai(lolwut?). A real thief doesn’t want to be conspicuous. They want to blend in and most would have big coats with deep pockets.

With that said, I’d still love to have more options available.