Toggle setting for AoE Loot

in Suggestions

Posted by: WhiteAndMilky.2514

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Thanks to TheAmpca.1753 for the great idea.

This setting would cause AoE loot to activate every second, allowing items to be auto deposited in your inventory. Looting is mainly an issue WvW players have, as we must constantly leave behind loot bags because we are busy fighting hordes of enemies. This setting would give players a choice of whether they want to do it manually or not. Many MMOs have adopted loot systems that place items directly into your inventory, and I, as well as many others, believe that GW2s current looting system is really bringing down the WvW experience. If it is an issue for the PvE environment, the setting could allow for AoE Loot Toggle to only function in WvW.

WvW loot retrieval has gotten MUCH better since beta, and the new AoE loot feature has helped dramatically, but the problem still persists. It should not be our job in WvW to pick up bags. There are no bags to be picked up in sPvP, they get to focus purely on combat, we deserve that as well.

Having to pick up bags is really bringing a damper on wvw, as players have to separate from their groups, turn around, go back, and pick up bags. This slows down WvW as a whole, and is a tedious and senseless act. Sure, we can spam the Loot key like crazy all the time in combat, but it’s just 1 more thing to worry about, and to be honest, it’s a pointless act. When you are a dedicated WvW player gaming for hours a day, you have to press that darn loot key hundreds or thousands of times a day (not over-exaggerating). It causes a lot of frustration when you cannot go back and retrieve your hard-earned loot bags, especially since WvWers do not get anywhere close to the same value loot rewards that PvE players do.

I believe this idea to be the simplest way to implement the feature, and ArenaNet has said themselves they are trying to work on the looting system for us. This idea just builds on the current system without having to remove anything currently implemented.

Thanks for reading!

P.S. Believe it or not, I do have the ability to press F, and I have been doing it for much longer and more frequently than most of you. The point here isn’t whether or not it is easy to press F, yes, it is easy. I take my index finger and depress it…. I’m not a complete moron (surprise!) The whole point is that we remove something we SHOULDN’T have to do while fighting players.

If someone told me when I first joined WvW that I would need to be spamming a random key on my keyboard solely for the purpose of picking up loot, and NOTHING battle related…. I would have told them that sounded incredibly stupid. It’s tedious, pointless, it detracts from the overall fun value in wvw, it slows gameplay, and it lowers skill level. Those that WANT to pick up their bags, COULD. Those that do not want to, could choose to have it deposit in their inventory. If arenanet continues to update it’s looting system sometime in the future you may find yourself saying “Wow remember when we had to run up to each and every bag and spam F the whole time while trying to kill players?”

I play all the things 80. Pew Pew Pew. Killin joor commanders.
4 Warriors, 3 Rangers, 3 Mesmers, 2 Engineers, 2 Guardians, and Necro, Thf, Ele
-Beastygate Beast Milk, OG BG Veteran Native

(edited by WhiteAndMilky.2514)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mist Y.5214

Mist Y.5214

You could set up a macro to spam the loot key, although I’m not sure that’s permitted by the ToS. Personally I’d just like to have all drops go straight to my inventory.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Valner.9563

Valner.9563

This is honestly a great idea. Allows for those who are defending their server in the mists to focus on just that. It could even be designed to only activate once the player is put into combat, so as not to put any unnecessary strain on the wvw servers.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

You could set up a macro to spam the loot key, although I’m not sure that’s permitted by the ToS. Personally I’d just like to have all drops go straight to my inventory.

That’s against the EULA as it gives you an unfair advantage.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Of course you could literally just tap f yourself, AoE loot has a decent range so as long as you don’t attempt to rez a corpse it’s not that hard to hit f with ur hand on wasd.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Euthymia.4807

Euthymia.4807

I think they were nice enough to put the loot bag at your feet. It’s not too much to ask that you press the F key every once in a while.

Next thing people will be complaining about is “using my skills is too tedious and boring. I have to think of what skill I want to use, move my character in range, and then press different buttons to activate my skills. It’s much too hard! Meanwhile other people are attacking me! Anet, please make it so the game fires off all my skills at the most efficient times.”

Why do people seem to feel that WvW (or to a lesser extent PvP) is something of some special importance. PVE’ers defend their server from dragons, trolls, pirates and all sorts of other dangers. I don’t remember anyone complaining about playing the game being too hard and needing auto triggers for pointless things like looting.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

Why do people seem to feel that WvW (or to a lesser extent PvP) is something of some special importance. PVE’ers defend their server from dragons, trolls, pirates and all sorts of other dangers. I don’t remember anyone complaining about playing the game being too hard and needing auto triggers for pointless things like looting.

No invader has ever managed to come out our mists portals, meanwhile those pve’ers seem to let LA get wrecked once a month.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

No it doesn’t and Anet has already said that 1 action per key is allowed for macros. Auto-loot keybind is already limited to one use per second so it can’t be spammed anyway. Just set it up to attach to the back button on your mouse and have it repeat every second or so.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

No it doesn’t and Anet has already said that 1 action per key is allowed for macros. Auto-loot keybind is already limited to one use per second so it can’t be spammed anyway. Just set it up to attach to the back button on your mouse and have it repeat every second or so.

There was a Dev saying that it was a bannable offense. I believe it was Gaile.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

There’s a big difference between an infinite loop script and reading an X as a Y.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

There’s a big difference between an infinite loop script and reading an X as a Y.

The whole point of this thread is that lazy people want it on an infinite loop, because they can’t press F on their own.

Just set it up to attach to the back button on your mouse and have it repeat every second or so.

Sounds like an infinite loop to me.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

Tell me what Auto-Attack is? infinite loop. I’m not saying I do it, I’m never distracted enough to not be able to press the bound button on my mouse for aoe-loot but the game already provides an infinite-loop mechanic to spam actions, why is this different and why would anyone assume getting the loot you are entitled to is an advantage over every other player in the game that is entitled to their loot?

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

Auto attack isn’t an infinite loop written by the player. If you want to make your computer look like it’s botting, go ahead.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

Tell me what Auto-Attack is? infinite loop. I’m not saying I do it, I’m never distracted enough to not be able to press the bound button on my mouse for aoe-loot but the game already provides an infinite-loop mechanic to spam actions, why is this different and why would anyone assume getting the loot you are entitled to is an advantage over every other player in the game that is entitled to their loot?

1) Auto attack is coded into the game.
2) There’s a difference between using something coded into the game and using a 3rd party program to do actions in the game.
3) You aren’t ‘entitled’ to anything if you’re too lazy to press F

If using macros to spam AOE loot is ok, then so is using marcros to spam any other attacks and/or abilities. By your own argument Botting is perfectly fine because the game has an auto attack feature that lets you automatically use one skill when ever it’s ready.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zikory.6871

Zikory.6871

I think they were nice enough to put the loot bag at your feet. It’s not too much to ask that you press the F key every once in a while.

Next thing people will be complaining about is “using my skills is too tedious and boring. I have to think of what skill I want to use, move my character in range, and then press different buttons to activate my skills. It’s much too hard! Meanwhile other people are attacking me! Anet, please make it so the game fires off all my skills at the most efficient times.”

It’s not so much complaining, Its a suggestion to help improve game play. The changes they have made thus far have been great. This would be a huge upgrade to looting in WvW and allow people to focus on the greater part of WvW (combat) People leave so much loot because its either loot and death or continue fighting and in a lot of situations they fight is constantly moving so there is no way to collect all your bags. And Spamming your AoE loot key is the only answer? It doesn’t seem to be right considering how much movement is involved in this game.

[KnT] – Knight Gaming – Blackgate
Zikory – Retired Thief
Zikkro – Zergling Necromancer

in Suggestions

Zikory.6871

1) Auto attack is coded into the game.
2) There’s a difference between using something coded into the game and using a 3rd party program to do actions in the game.
3) You aren’t ‘entitled’ to anything if you’re too lazy to press F

If using macros to spam AOE loot is ok, then so is using marcros to spam any other attacks and/or abilities. By your own argument Botting is perfectly fine because the game has an auto attack feature that lets you automatically use one skill when ever it’s ready.

It has already been confirmed that using a macro of any sort (hardware or 3rd party) is not allowed. This was confirmed in a post on the WvW forums. This is why the suggestion is made to have anet review the subject and hopefully add it into the game its self.

IMO macros like this don’t really hurt anyone since it only has to do with looting which only effects you but Anet has to be able to track it some how so most likely this type of macro would just get flagged the same as if you were using a macro for skills. Its seems like a use at your own risk type of thing. You may or may not get caught and if you do, you can probably talk your way out of it but you never really know.

Zikory – Retired Thief

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

It’s not so much complaining, Its a suggestion to help improve game play. The changes they have made thus far have been great. This would be a huge upgrade to looting in WvW and allow people to focus on the greater part of WvW (combat) People leave so much loot because its either loot and death or continue fighting and in a lot of situations they fight is constantly moving so there is no way to collect all your bags. And Spamming your AoE loot key is the only answer? It doesn’t seem to be right considering how much movement is involved in this game.

Spamming the AOE key worked fine until now, and it works in pretty much every other MMO too. They even made it easier and made the bags appear at your feet.

I really don’t understand how fighting players makes it impossible for you to press F. There’s a pattern to most people’s skill use. Why not integrate F into that pattern?

And yes I’m against the idea because they can be doing something more important with their time than fixing something that isn’t broken for people too lazy to press a button.

Maybe they should do like the Asian MMO’s do and make a pet to loot for you. The catch is you have to feed the pet, and you have to but the food with with gems. 800 for a pack of 10, and each one lasts an hour.

in Suggestions

WhiteAndMilky.2514

Spamming the AOE key worked fine until now, and it works in pretty much every other MMO too. They even made it easier and made the bags appear at your feet.

You’re missing the point.

Here is the old philosophy your mind is stuck in:
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. – WRONG

Here is the more modern philosophy:
Kaizen – Japanese business philosophy of constant improvement. Is it broken? No. Is it inefficient or pointless? Yes. So improve it.

You should get familiar with kaizen, as it’s what is currently running the world. (successful industries are successful because of kaizen) Many companies have gone out of business purely because they were too stubborn (or stupid) to change their ways and improve.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you are also wrong about it being an advantage. It’s a convenience. Which is in NO WAY the same as an advantage in wvw. It doesn’t make you do more damage, it doesn’t make you harder to kill, it doesn’t let you fly or be invincible. It just picks up bags…

Now instead of thinking about pressing F, you can think about dodging that attack coming at your face.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

Kaizen – Japanese business philosophy of constant improvement. Is it broken? No. Is it inefficient or pointless? Yes. So improve it.

Your argument doesn’t work.

By your own argument the whole game should play itself because it’s inefficient and pointless otherwise.

Having to press F manually to loot isn’t pointless. It’s the way things are and how they should be. Why? Because you’re playing a game not watching a movie.

in Suggestions

Mist Y.5214

It IS pointless. I’ve already decided that I want to pick up every single piece of loot, and having to do so manually every time is like having to click a confirmation window every time I want to breathe. It should be automatic, with the option to turn it off if I DON’T want to auto-loot. We’ve already had some nice improvements to the looting system, so you can’t defend its flaws based on the philosophy that ANet actually want it to be an irritating task for players. They are actively trying to make things less annoying for us, and here is a great suggestion to help with that.

in Suggestions

WhiteAndMilky.2514

By your own argument the whole game should play itself because it’s inefficient and pointless otherwise.

Having to press F manually to loot isn’t pointless. It’s the way things are and how they should be. Why? Because you’re playing a game not watching a movie.

You still don’t understand. Pressing F is essentially waste, as it does absolutely nothing for PvP. You could NEVER loot, and it wouldn’t make you more or less effective in WvW combat. Thus, it is a pointless act, and should be improved further. You might only play WvW for 30 minutes a week, but the rest of us play for hours a day and are breaking our F keys.

Do some reading please, I hate having to explain things twice, it’s a pet peeve of mine. Put on your learning cap – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

EDIT: You might not want to tell the japanese that you think their business philosophy is wrong, as it’s worked pretty great for them so far.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

It IS pointless. I’ve already decided that I want to pick up every single piece of loot, and having to do so manually every time is like having to click a confirmation window every time I want to breathe. It should be automatic, with the option to turn it off if I DON’T want to auto-loot. We’ve already had some nice improvements to the looting system, so you can’t defend its flaws based on the philosophy that ANet actually want it to be an irritating task for players. They are actively trying to make things less annoying for us, and here is a great suggestion to help with that.

You really don’t get it.

I find playing the game pointless. I’ve already decided that I want a level 80 character of every profession and every race with every armor in the game. Having to level every character manually is like having to click a confirmation window to breathe (actually no it isn’t. One’s a requirement and the other isn’t.). Leveling should be automatic with the option to turn it off if I DON’T want to auto-level (heh like anyone would turn it off). We’ve already seen nice improvements to the leveling system, so you can’t defend it’s flaws based on the philosophy that anet actually wants it to be an irritating task for players. They are actively trying to make things less annoying for us, and here is a great suggestion to help with that.

If it works for you, why wouldn’t it work for me?

Now for my actual answer:

It IS pointless. I’ve already decided that I want to pick up every single piece of loot

That’s good. Press the F button and it’s done.

and having to do so manually every time is like having to click a confirmation window every time I want to breathe

No it’s not. I doubt you’d die from not picking up loot, but try not breathing and let me know how that goes. Nice ‘Red Herring’ fallacy though.

It should be automatic, with the option to turn it off if I DON’T want to auto-loot.

Things shouldn’t be automatic just because you’re too lazy.

We’ve already had some nice improvements to the looting system

Yeah. Notice how they made it AOE loot and not automatic loot.

so you can’t defend its flaws based on the philosophy that ANet actually want it to be an irritating task for players

You can’t defend your laziness either. Again they improved it. They didn’t get rid of it altogether. You know selling things on the TP is irritating too. Especially when I’m trying to loot and my bags are full. The game should automatically sell things on the TP for me. Yeah I don’t think so.

They are actively trying to make things less annoying for us, and here is a great suggestion to help with that.

Again. Less and not removing them all together. It’s not a great suggestion. You’re just lazy and want things handed to you.

You still don’t understand. Pressing F is essentially waste, as it does absolutely nothing for PvP. You could NEVER loot, and it wouldn’t make you more or less effective in WvW combat. Thus, it is a pointless act, and should be improved further. You might only play WvW for 30 minutes a week, but the rest of us play for hours a day and are breaking our F keys.

Do some reading please, I hate having to explain things twice, it’s a pet peeve of mine. Put on your learning cap – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaizen

EDIT: You might not want to tell the japanese that you think their business philosophy is wrong, as it’s worked pretty great for them so far.

Get a new keyboard.

And I can apply that same philosophy to everything in the game. Does that mean everything should change? No. It wouldn’t be a game anymore. It would be a movie.

You say pressing F isn’t efficient and pointless, so it should be automatic. I say leveling is inefficient and pointless, so it too should be automatic. Selling that loot you automatically picked up on the TP is also inefficient and pointless, so that should be automatic.

Oh and hey. Spending hours a day playing a video game is also an inefficient and pointless waste of time, so you probably shouldn’t do that.

(edited by Euthymia.4807)

in Suggestions

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Since for some odd reason, middle mouse button has no function in this game, I put my aoe pickup button there. So F is used for normal pickups or activating stuff, and when I wanna just aoe pick up stuff, I hit the middle mouse button. Much easier on the left index finger, haha, and my right middle finger gets some exercise in this game. XD

in Suggestions

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Gaile answered this exact same thing in another thread.

I believe you’ve misunderstood if you think this is something we’d condone. How is auto-looting not automating gameplay? How is “spamming” the “F” key still one key for one action? How would use of this not give advantage when compared to the player who is individually picking up loot?

Certainly the “Does it allow the player to play faster?” question can be answered in the affirmative. Does it? Yes. That clearly indicates use of this is not suitable use. Consider carefully before giving credence to one individual’s interpretation of a very clear set of parameters.

You may read the whole thread and gain some context for the quote here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Are-AoE-Loot-Macros-allowed

in Suggestions

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

First the put the loot bags at your feet.. Then they give you AoE looting because running up to each one wasn’t fast enough.. Now you want automated looting? Let’s get rid of loot altogether since people can’t be grateful.

in Suggestions

Zikory.6871

I find playing the game pointless.

You’re done here. After this anything you say is worthless. If you find playing the game pointless you will have no say in how or what can improve this game.

Since you’re so against this idea tell me why its not a good change for WvW? And Btw saying “they should be working on other things” is a cop out because you have no reasonable idea to debate this.

Zikory – Retired Thief

in Suggestions

Zikory.6871

First the put the loot bags at your feet.. Then they give you AoE looting because running up to each one wasn’t fast enough.. Now you want automated looting? Let’s get rid of loot altogether since people can’t be grateful.

You didn’t read the thread. Those of us asking for this change are very grateful for the steps they have made for looting. AoE looting is much massively better then 1 bag at a time but having to spam AoE loot while in battle is still a issue and is a unnecessary action.

Zikory – Retired Thief

in Suggestions

Zikory.6871

Gaile answered this exact same thing in another thread.

I believe you’ve misunderstood if you think this is something we’d condone. How is auto-looting not automating gameplay? How is “spamming” the “F” key still one key for one action? How would use of this not give advantage when compared to the player who is individually picking up loot?

Certainly the “Does it allow the player to play faster?” question can be answered in the affirmative. Does it? Yes. That clearly indicates use of this is not suitable use. Consider carefully before giving credence to one individual’s interpretation of a very clear set of parameters.

You may read the whole thread and gain some context for the quote here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/wuv/wuv/Are-AoE-Loot-Macros-allowed

You misunderstand the point of the suggestion and I think you missed that the OP of both threads are the same. It was asked if a macro for this situation would be allowed and Anet confirmed that is is NOT allowed so the suggestion for it to be implemented in game so 3rd party programs and keyboards won’t be used.

Zikory – Retired Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

You misunderstand the point of the suggestion and I think you missed that the OP of both threads are the same. It was asked if a macro for this situation would be allowed and Anet confirmed that is is NOT allowed so the suggestion for it to be implemented in game so 3rd party programs and keyboards won’t be used.

That wasn’t really at the OP but more so the side discussion about ‘spamming f’ , ‘infinite loop’, ’it’s killing my keyboard’ etc, things that were going on.

I personally don’t see a need for automated looting or anything like that, but the only way anything like it could even be considered would be to have it as an option for everyone as part of the game. Which I really don’t see Anet doing anytime soon. They tend to move quite slowly when it comes to quality of life issues.

in Suggestions

WhiteAndMilky.2514

I’ll just quote myself a few times for yah.

WvW loot retrieval has gotten MUCH better since beta, and the new AoE loot feature has helped dramatically, but the problem still persists.

The new AoE loot system has helped us dramatically, and we really DO appreciate it greatly.

in Suggestions

WhiteAndMilky.2514

They tend to move quite slowly when it comes to quality of life issues.

^ This. I really wish arenanet would just take a 2 week break from living story and fix some of the long-existing bugs and annoyances.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

You’re done here. After this anything you say is worthless. If you find playing the game pointless you will have no say in how or what can improve this game.

Since you’re so against this idea tell me why its not a good change for WvW? And Btw saying “they should be working on other things” is a cop out because you have no reasonable idea to debate this.

First, You took that quote out of context. Good job being that dishonest.

Secondly, throughout this thread people have been complaining that manually looting is pointless. One person even tried to use some Japanese philosophy. If you weren’t so dishonest, you would notice that that entire first part of my post is Mist’s post mirrored and their argument used sarcastically for the automation of the whole game.

That wasn’t really at the OP but more so the side discussion about ‘spamming f’ , ‘infinite loop’, ’it’s killing my keyboard’ etc, things that were going on.

I personally don’t see a need for automated looting or anything like that, but the only way anything like it could even be considered would be to have it as an option for everyone as part of the game. Which I really don’t see Anet doing anytime soon. They tend to move quite slowly when it comes to quality of life issues.

It’s not even a QOL issue. It’s an “I’m too lazy so do it for me” issue.

^ This. I really wish arenanet would just take a 2 week break from living story and fix some of the long-existing bugs and annoyances.

Hope you realize that auto-looting wouldn’t be on that list of fixes for long-existing bugs and annoyances.

(edited by Euthymia.4807)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Valner.9563

Valner.9563

I dont understand why people keep attributing this suggestion to being lazy, or proceed to bash the suggestion. The reason it is even being brought up is for an equal chance at the rewards we have earned through our actions. For those who WvW on a regular basis, on servers that have a large WvW population, you will often find yourself in the middle of a large scale fight, where you move completely around an objective leaving the bags, that conveniently drop at your feet, strewn halfway from garrison to the supply camp.

Now, i cant speak for all servers, but on my server (Blackgate), especially during NA prime, we dont have the luxury of waiting around for individuals to run all around the combat area and loot their bags even with AOE loot. More often then not we are running from one objective to another defending, or countering as quickly as we can. Staying behind to get your loot would be selfish, and if the majority of people did that we would most likely lose quite a few of our objectives. Should those who are dedicated to their servers cause and WvW for hours on end be punished for being that way? Is it lazy of them to not run back and find that wooden chest that they left behind on the opposite side of the supply camp or the battlements from when they took out that AC and its operator? I dont think it is, and people who play that way shouldnt be hindered, they should be rewarded.

Now if you are a purist, or you want the feel of looting corpses, or in this case bags, then as suggested it should be toggled off. Everyone is happy. Please dont assume that laziness has anything to do with this request. Do not project qualities on people who you know nothing about. I would bet that if this feature was added to WvW, all of the nay sayers would be using it without question. Lets be honest too, how many people who have been in WvW for any period of time hasnt wondered if those bags that they left behind didnt have something valuable in it?

in Suggestions

WhiteAndMilky.2514

^ all this.

Plus, if you don’t want it, you wouldn’t have to use it! It would be a setting for hardcore WvW players. Those that like to RP or feel a bit more immersed could NOT use the setting and still pick up their bags like normal. Heck if you REALLY like pressing F, you could turn the current AoE loot off too and go back to standing right on top of them to press F.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

I dont understand why people keep attributing this suggestion to being lazy, or proceed to bash the suggestion. The reason it is even being brought up is for an equal chance at the rewards we have earned through our actions. For those who WvW on a regular basis, on servers that have a large WvW population, you will often find yourself in the middle of a large scale fight, where you move completely around an objective leaving the bags, that conveniently drop at your feet, strewn halfway from garrison to the supply camp.

Now, i cant speak for all servers, but on my server (Blackgate), especially during NA prime, we dont have the luxury of waiting around for individuals to run all around the combat area and loot their bags even with AOE loot. More often then not we are running from one objective to another defending, or countering as quickly as we can. Staying behind to get your loot would be selfish, and if the majority of people did that we would most likely lose quite a few of our objectives. Should those who are dedicated to their servers cause and WvW for hours on end be punished for being that way? Is it lazy of them to not run back and find that wooden chest that they left behind on the opposite side of the supply camp or the battlements from when they took out that AC and its operator? I dont think it is, and people who play that way shouldnt be hindered, they should be rewarded.

Now if you are a purist, or you want the feel of looting corpses, or in this case bags, then as suggested it should be toggled off. Everyone is happy. Please dont assume that laziness has anything to do with this request. Do not project qualities on people who you know nothing about. I would bet that if this feature was added to WvW, all of the nay sayers would be using it without question. Lets be honest too, how many people who have been in WvW for any period of time hasnt wondered if those bags that they left behind didnt have something valuable in it?

And the point is you press F as the fight moves. It’s not rocket science.

The OP suggested auto looting because they are too lazy to loot themselves. On the other hand suggesting an increase in AOE loot range comes across less lazy than wanting the game to do everything automatically for you.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

If you really have never noticed, hitting full inventory and looting 1 more thing over encumbers you. Autoloot will trigger this repeatedly.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

“If someone told me when I first joined WvW that I would need to be spamming a random key on my keyboard solely for the purpose of picking up loot, and NOTHING battle related…. I would have told them that sounded incredibly stupid.”

+1 to that.

I think the autoloot system is anything BUT autoloot, simply because when I think ‘auto’, I think ‘automatically does it for you’. We as players shouldn’t have to worry about spamming a button on a keyboard all the time, but the reality is we do, and we have to if we want rewards. It shouldn’t be like this at all. Autoloot should mean any drops get deposited straight into your inventory.

Another thing that frustrates the cabbage out of me is when I join my team’s zerg and kill all these enemies, only to die and see countless lootbags appear right next to me WHICH I CAN’T PICK UP. Why torment us like this?

Also, the current ‘autoloot’ ability doesn’t always work. There have been quite a few times I’m on an arrow cart, and I leave it, click ‘R’ (the hotkey button I personally use for interacting) only to find myself picking up 1 loot bag at a time?

And then there’s also the countless times there are loot bags you’re trying to pick up in amongst a whole bunch of dead players. Let me tell you now, when you’re in a zerg vs. zerg situation, it isn’t fun trying to loot your loot bags whilst trying to avoid reviving people… ain’t nobody got time for that.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

in Suggestions

Mist Y.5214

You seriously think it’s not a problem to have to spam F while fighting? In an intense combat situation, it drastically hinders your ability to play.

Also, the current ‘autoloot’ ability doesn’t always work. There have been quite a few times I’m on an arrow cart, and I leave it, click ‘R’ (the hotkey button I personally use for interacting) only to find myself picking up 1 loot bag at a time?

That’s happening because you’re standing in range of another interactive object – in this case the arrow cart. You can set up a second hotkey specifically for AoE looting to bypass this problem.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

Tapping aoe loot once will loot everything with like… 900 radius? Everything, not 1 bag at a time. You’re not spamming F, you’re tapping it either as you move or as exp indicators pop up.

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

You seriously think it’s not a problem to have to spam F while fighting? In an intense combat situation, it drastically hinders your ability to play.

If pressing F (or whatever your AOE key is) hinders your ability to play, then the issue is with your ability not a lack in the game.

If there’s ever an auto loot feature, then I expect an auto post on TP feature. Otherwise your bag is going to fill up and you’ll keep getting “Your inventory is full” messages and you’ll be complaining that it’s distracting. And I also want an auto level feature because leveling manually is just too inefficient.

in Suggestions

Mist Y.5214

Tapping aoe loot once will loot everything with like… 900 radius? Everything, not 1 bag at a time. You’re not spamming F, you’re tapping it either as you move or as exp indicators pop up.

And that is what I have to do, although it’s not F, it’s a button on my mouse set specifically for the AoE loot rather than interaction. That doesn’t change the fact that it’s an inconvenient and annoying distraction when I’m trying to focus on the fight.

It occurs to me that the arguments against this may be coming from magic find farmers who see looting as an end goal rather than a side reward. For those of us in WvW, loot is rarely the reason to kill people – we do it to support our server, gain WXP, participate in events, and just have fun. Loot is far from the main feature, and I’d still be doing WvW if it was removed completely. Therefore, I strongly dislike having to modify my behaviour (to spam F) to make sure I don’t miss out. Yes, I know I said I don’t care about loot, but if it’s there I don’t want to just leave it. Be honest, which would you find more annoying: killing a foe and receiving no loot, or receiving loot but never getting to pick it up?

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

An autoloot feature will over encumber you and force you to walk mid-fight and I’m fairly certain Anet doesn’t care that people who can’t manage to hit loot once every 4 seconds might miss something if they wipe or that people who choose not to respawn immediately are risking the loot that generates on their corpse.

in Suggestions

Mist Y.5214

Well I’d also be grateful for a “deposit all collectibles” hotkey! I have no problem keeping my inventory from overfilling though; I just merch after the action. Assuming I did fill up though, how would spamming F be any different from autoloot in this case..?

in Suggestions

Euthymia.4807

And that is what I have to do, although it’s not F, it’s a button on my mouse set specifically for the AoE loot rather than interaction. That doesn’t change the fact that it’s an inconvenient and annoying distraction when I’m trying to focus on the fight.

It occurs to me that the arguments against this may be coming from magic find farmers who see looting as an end goal rather than a side reward. For those of us in WvW, loot is rarely the reason to kill people – we do it to support our server, gain WXP, participate in events, and just have fun. Loot is far from the main feature, and I’d still be doing WvW if it was removed completely. Therefore, I strongly dislike having to modify my behaviour (to spam F) to make sure I don’t miss out. Yes, I know I said I don’t care about loot, but if it’s there I don’t want to just leave it. Be honest, which would you find more annoying: killing a foe and receiving no loot, or receiving loot but never getting to pick it up?

Neither. I press my AOE Loot button every few seconds. There’s a flow in activating your skills and the timing. It’s not hard (or shouldn’t be) to incorporate your AOE key into that flow. If the battle moves on, you tap your button before getting out of range. It’s a habit I picked up from playing Battlefield and other FPS over the years. I reload often. Whether it’s after an engagement or just taking pot shots at a vehicle or through a window. I take a few shots and reload. I never know when I’ll turn into a building and have an enemy staring me in the face and having a full mag opposed to having 3-4 shots less could mean the difference between +1 kill count or waiting to respawn.

in Suggestions

Mist Y.5214

Press Ctrl+F and type in "hard". See how many times the word comes up in this thread. The only people who’ve used it are the ones arguing against auto-loot. Those of us in favour are not saying it’s hard to spam F - we’re saying it’s ANNOYING. Stuff that’s annoying shouldn’t be in a fun game, except as a deterrent from activities we’re not supposed to overdo.
Okay, so you’ve made the argument that leveling and selling on the TP are also unnecessary annoyances, but I completely disagree. Both of those contain elements of choice and they can be fun too. The only choice involved in looting is whether to pick everything up (yes please) or to leave stuff on the ground unless it’s a fancy chest, in case your inventory gets filled with rubbish (turn auto loot off). Having already made the choice (I want everything), I don’t want to have to keep pressing to same button every few seconds to confirm it.
I’ve not really played many FPSs but I think I understand the concept of reloading - it’s an action which entails a situational choice. Not only does it cost you a second in which you cannot fire, for some weapons it consumes additional ammo. You certainly would not want to reload after every single shot (even though you COULD). Instead you CHOOSE when it’s a good time to reload i.e. when you think you’re safe enough to spare that one second, and when you think you might need "a full mag", rather than conserving ammo by using the remainder of your clip. Or whatever... like I said I don’t know FPSs very well. The point is that the choice of reloading is an important part of the game; making it so you never had to reload would be a drastic change to any game. The same cannot be said of spamming F to loot.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

I’ve not really played many FPSs but I think I understand the concept of reloading – it’s an action which entails a situational choice. Not only does it cost you a second in which you cannot fire, for some weapons it consumes additional ammo.

You have 10 fingers and a keyboard that should be able to withstand you pressing several keys at once. Multitask. Earning your loot is as much about not dying before you can get it as it is about killing the guy to begin with.

in Suggestions

Zikory.6871

If pressing F (or whatever your AOE key is) hinders your ability to play, then the issue is with your ability not a lack in the game.

If there’s ever an auto loot feature, then I expect an auto post on TP feature. Otherwise your bag is going to fill up and you’ll keep getting “Your inventory is full” messages and you’ll be complaining that it’s distracting. And I also want an auto level feature because leveling manually is just too inefficient.

How is that any different from now assuming you pick up all your bags? Do you not look at your inventory ever? I know I do at least every half hour to reapply food. Or when ever I use siege…or to deposit collectibles…or to see what a exact item was after a fight. If your to “lazy” to sell your items because you let your bags get full is a completely unrelated issue. (The use of lazy is to stay in context with your outlandish posts)

Zikory – Retired Thief

in Suggestions

Zikory.6871

First, You took that quote out of context. Good job being that dishonest.

Secondly, throughout this thread people have been complaining that manually looting is pointless. One person even tried to use some Japanese philosophy. If you weren’t so dishonest, you would notice that that entire first part of my post is Mist’s post mirrored and their argument used sarcastically for the automation of the whole game.

It’s not even a QOL issue. It’s an “I’m too lazy so do it for me” issue.

Hope you realize that auto-looting wouldn’t be on that list of fixes for long-existing bugs and annoyances.

Wouldn’t being to “lazy” to do something fall under a quality of life issue? If it was made easier make it more appealing to do there for less likely to be to “lazy” to do it, thus improving the quality of life…

I hope you can realize thakittens obviously something people feel frustrated enough about to make a suggestion to help with the current “annoyances” with looting in WvW so I think it would fall under “annoyances”

If you want to troll this thread please try to do better…You have not come up with one good reason why this should NOT be implemented.

Zikory – Retired Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: Naffy.1493

Naffy.1493

I like how loot is in WvW. It forces you to make a choice, lewtz or help allies.

Tree Dink – Sylvari Guardian
Os of NSP

in Suggestions

Mist Y.5214

Earning your loot is as much about not dying before you can get it as it is about killing the guy to begin with.

Except that by making bags drop at my feet in WvW and allowing me to spam AoE looting with a hotkey on my mouse, they’ve trivialized it to the point of becoming a pure annoyance. In PvE before the update it was a task (a stupidly easy one, but at least it preserved immersion to some extent), but as it is now there is no reason to not automate it. Nobody has any difficulty picking up their loot, any more than a healthy person has any difficulty manually breathing through their nose… but it’s not something we want to have to think about! Spamming F is unnatural.