Transmute town clothing to armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sarabi.8310

Sarabi.8310

I’m not sure how many people actually buy ‘town’ clothing, but I imagine it’s not a great deal since it can only be used maybe 5% of your gametime. it’s certainly why I’ve never bothered to buy it, no matter how awesome it looks.

So maybe we could be allowed to transmute it into appropriate armors instead? For instance, the ‘cook’ skin would look wonderful on light armor classes, the pirate on medium, and the various hats applying to all headgear.

I’d most certainly buy them if I could actually use them in combat.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Ceder Of Tyria.5079

I really like the idea that you can use armour to skin with and not just a few skin types.

I suggest they make “skin” tabs for the armour in stead of.
Every time I want to put a new skin on my armour I loose the one I have already on it, witch mean, I never skin my armour but go for what I want and that is it.

As town clothes are more than just armour, I can understand why it have to stay as it is, but they could also be sold as “skins”.

Legacy Of [MARA] & Scions Of [MARA] ~Gunnar’ Hold Descendants Of [MARA] ~Yak’s Bend
www.gwmara.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Or use Guild Wars 1 system.
1) they went on top of your regular armor so either the costume could show or the armor could.
2) you could wear the costume on top of your regular armor so you didn’t lose any stats in combat and you still had access to all of your regular combat skills.
3) could be set to auto toggle on or off when you entered a city or combat area. You could leave it and forget it.
4) ALL of your toons could all wear a costume at the same time, not one at a time.
5) an NPC holds your costumes for you so you didn’t have to keep them in your inventory . Want to wear your Mad King costume? Go to him and he gives it to you. Change your mind and want to wear a different one? He gives you the new one and the old one is removed from the costume slot.

The only advantage I have found with the Guild Wars 2 system is that it has saved me a lot of money. I bought every costume in Guild Wars 1 and none here. I loved being able to play wearing their fancy, beautiful, or funny costumes. I am not in town often enough to bother with getting Town Clothes, or to pay for an inferior product.

in Suggestions

Sarabi.8310

No more love for the idea?

It could use the current skin system, where it asks if you want a pve, pvp, or towncloth version when you first use it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

Devs have stated repeatedly they do not want people fighting in town clothes. They are not going to change it.

AR

in Suggestions

Sarabi.8310

It seems an awful waste of modeling if they’re adamant about it. But i’d like to know why they wont allow it (I honestly haven’t seen a single person using town clothes since the halo-ween update, so it looks like they’re not making any money off it).

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fenris Silverfang.7906

Fenris Silverfang.7906

In all fairness sarabi does have a big point. Why buy something if you never get to see it?

I would say change it as follows : Make town clothing cover up what you usually wear and make transmutation stones something that strips an item of its stats and turns it into ‘town clothing’ or rather a ‘skin’ that overrides what you have currently equipped. That system would be a ton more enjoyable.

Its a MMO and everyone wants to look unique without to much effort and using stones constantly (and creating twinks , getting 100% exploration on main cities to farm stones and then send em over if you want to avoid spending cash) is not really enjoyable at all, at least to me it aint. It is partly also caused due to a lack of different armor skins which especially medium classes suffer from, every chestpiece is a longcoat and some really do almost look the same.

But back on topic, I would love a change to the system as it is right now and would love to hear what you guys think.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bleyzwun.1204

bleyzwun.1204

I would not mind this at all. As it is I have no interest in wearing town clothes. They are pretty pointless to me. Do I like the look of them? Yeah, I do. I still don’t see a point in changing to town clothes when in a city, so I never do it.

During beta, I bought the sunglasses because I thought they would replace the looks of my helm or something. Once I realized they were useless in combat, I never bothered to look, or even think about buying any of that stuff.

Even if they made it so upon entering a city, it would toggle to your town clothes, I wouldn’t spend a cent on any of that stuff. If I could look the way I wanted to all the time, I would definitely buy some stuff on the cash shop.

Obviously, certain items should be non-combat only (boxing gloves). I just don’t see a reason not to be able to wear what you want as far as clothing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: bleyzwun.1204

bleyzwun.1204

Devs have stated repeatedly they do not want people fighting in town clothes. They are not going to change it.

Just because they stated it repeatedly doesn’t mean players can’t ask for it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Catisa.6507

Catisa.6507

Just because they stated it repeatedly doesn’t mean players can’t ask for it.

Just because players ask for it doesn’t mean players will get it.

Not sure what the point of your post was.

AR

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kantharr.2308

Kantharr.2308

It all depends on the majority of the players and anet’s decision on accepting the suggestion. Imo I am okay either way of fighting with armor or fighting with town clothes.

in Suggestions

Posted by: MaRko.3165

MaRko.3165

I suppose that people fighting in town clothes would be to ‘realistic’ for some countries and get the game banned.

I liked the idea of having different town clothes to outfit our toons with until I learned of this restriction. I kinda wonder why bother with having ‘town clothes’ at all if there is no use for it.

“I was playing Farmville and a kitten MMO GW2 broke out of it…”
I cut my gaming teeth on Adventure&ZorkI,II,III.
i7-2600K/8G/GTX570SLI/WIN7/Stereoscopic_3D

in Suggestions

Kantharr.2308

I suppose that people fighting in town clothes would be to ‘realistic’ for some countries and get the game banned.

I liked the idea of having different town clothes to outfit our toons with until I learned of this restriction. I kinda wonder why bother with having ‘town clothes’ at all if there is no use for it.

They are just for aesthetic purposes. It help with socializing with other players and possibly do some role-playing. Just like saying what is the point of having custom weapon skins if there is no use for it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeivu.3615

Zeivu.3615

If you need town clothing to talk and interact with others on the internet, there might be something seriously wrong with you.

They are just for aesthetic purposes. It help with socializing with other players and possibly do some role-playing. Just like saying what is the point of having custom weapon skins if there is no use for it.

in Suggestions

Kantharr.2308

If you need town clothing to talk and interact with others on the internet, there might be something seriously wrong with you.

I never said we needed it, just saying that it is just a little aesthetic feature that they wanted to add.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ceder Of Tyria.5079

Ceder Of Tyria.5079

It would definitely be an add on to the game if they implemented that and I can’t see the reason why they shouldn’t, it’s a very popular feature in a lot of other games. I play a game where you hardly see people in normal armour, everyone has their armour skinned and you have a large selection to choose from, bought with “gems”.

Legacy Of [MARA] & Scions Of [MARA] ~Gunnar’ Hold Descendants Of [MARA] ~Yak’s Bend
www.gwmara.com

in Suggestions

Astral Projections.7320

I would like to know the reason why ANet doesn’t want people wearing costumes in combat. They can’t argue that it’s because of immersion. They made a shortbow that that has people shooting unicorns which have the ANet logo on their butts. How is someone wearing a costume immersion breaking and that is not?

Wearing costumes during combat added a lot of enjoyment to my playing Guild Wars 1. Having to wear the same armor day after day is boring. And I don’t want to switch another level 80 armor because 1) it costs money to buy the fine stones from the store each time. 2) I am already wearing the armor I like best 3) if I do switch, I lose the armor I already have and have to rebuy it to get it again so I can’t switch just for a short time to vary my looks. 4) with costumes you can wear in combat, it has all of the positives and none of the negatives.

So please, would an ANet employee give us a good, reasoned explanation why we can’t have this?

in Suggestions

Posted by: MouseOne.7419

MouseOne.7419

I’d love this. My Mesmer would totally rock in sunglasses. Since you can hide head armor, why not make headgear transmutable at least?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Why shouldn’t we be allowed to fight in town clothing?

If we did, it would have to be with less armor.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Winch.2657

Winch.2657

yes please, I’d very much like to wear aviator glasses with my T3 set! I’d actually consider spending gems on items, beside karma booster

in Suggestions

Posted by: int randInt return.3280

int randInt return.3280

I agree.

I want to get a top hat with my light armor set that already looks like a suit.

Crafters [CRFT]
We do open missions every Sunday night.
Contact Mistoffelees in game if you’re interested.

in Suggestions

Posted by: StriderShinryu.6923

StriderShinryu.6923

Or use Guild Wars 1 system.
1) they went on top of your regular armor so either the costume could show or the armor could.
2) you could wear the costume on top of your regular armor so you didn’t lose any stats in combat and you still had access to all of your regular combat skills.
3) could be set to auto toggle on or off when you entered a city or combat area. You could leave it and forget it.
4) ALL of your toons could all wear a costume at the same time, not one at a time.
5) an NPC holds your costumes for you so you didn’t have to keep them in your inventory . Want to wear your Mad King costume? Go to him and he gives it to you. Change your mind and want to wear a different one? He gives you the new one and the old one is removed from the costume slot.

Definitely agree with this. And I’m not sure why ANet would be so against it. Honestly, I don’t see how it would be that difficult to implement as they already have a cosmetic clothing system and I don’t see it changing the game at all since much of the gear is already classed as basically cosmetic. If anything, it would only make them more money because many more people would be much more inclined to spend more on purely cosmetic things.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Winch.2657

Winch.2657

Yeah, much like every hat in GW1… I miss my divine halo ;_;

in Suggestions

Posted by: TFG.3149

TFG.3149

agree with op, no point buying something I never get to use. even if I like the looks.

in Suggestions

Posted by: electricity.7682

electricity.7682

Yes! I would love this option, and any others that allow for further customization.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hynoris.3684

Hynoris.3684

This 100%…

In a world with Pony bows and Bozo pistols who cares about a charr using sunglasses and it will probably boost gem sale.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

I was searching for information about this and came on this thread. Any news about it?

Is it already possible and if it is not any news if it might soon be possible?

in Suggestions

Astral Projections.7320

I was searching for information about this and came on this thread. Any news about it?

Is it already possible and if it is not any news if it might soon be possible?

They have never said they will change the current system. As far as I know, they haven’t even said they will consider it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

im gonna support this! i bought literally all the costumes in guild wars 1, and each of my many toons had a different outfit. i bought a grand total of 1 so far, and i havent used it since i got it because i cant use it in combat.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.

in Suggestions

Devata.6589

Yeah, it’s to bad that it’s not available yet. But I hope it you will be able to transmute town cloth to armor cloth very soon:)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

And I say they’re wrong and need to change their minds.

in Suggestions

Posted by: LLunatic.5280

LLunatic.5280

Ill put in my two cents here too. I agree as i really like the town clothes looks and would love to be able to put those on my regular armor. It would also give more armor skins for people to mix and match as they wanted to make their look that much more unique.

Also as its been stated if its for the immersion then consider that the starting outfit for human females is not much more “armor” like than the town clothes top and skirt. I dont see how any immersion would be lost in allowing us to transmute those looks onto our armor as well.

Guild Master Forbidden
http://tinyurl.com/theforbidden
Come check us out!

in Suggestions

Devata.6589

Also as its been stated if its for the immersion then consider that the starting outfit for human females is not much more “armor” like than the town clothes top and skirt. I dont see how any immersion would be lost in allowing us to transmute those looks onto our armor as well.

Yeah and how about the quaggan backpack.

I like that but it totally destroys the “immersion would be lost” argument.

in Suggestions

Astral Projections.7320

My personal opinion is, they lost the immersion argument with the ANet logo on the unicorns. Anytime you have some real world company’s logo on anything ingame that completely blows the immersion argument out of the water.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Immersion is not realism. I want immersion in that a less cluttered hud.

But real world realism in a fantasy/steampunk/sci fi doesn’t work.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Euthymia.4807

Euthymia.4807

I think they’d have to start buy making town clothes that look half decent. Maybe I’m missing something, but all the clothes in the Gem shop look like crap.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PolarisNova.3867

PolarisNova.3867

And the animals hats :-) I love my pink quaggan hat btw.

~Lady Amelia of the House of Rose~

in Suggestions

Devata.6589

And the animals hats :-) I love my pink quaggan hat btw.

But that are town clothes if I am correct. The backpack is armor. So the idea that they don’t want ‘normal clothing’ as armor because it would be bad for the immersion would go away with those backpacks but not with the animal hats. unless they are also armor??

I think they’d have to start buy making town clothes that look half decent. Maybe I’m missing something, but all the clothes in the Gem shop look like crap.

I like the glasses.