Waypoint cost eliminator - Gemstore item

in Suggestions

Posted by: CrisisHotline.3958

CrisisHotline.3958

As an idea for another limited time sale item in the spirit of the harvesting tools, I suggest another quality-of-life item. An account-to-soulbound item that removes the cost of waypoint usage for the soulbound character.

Waypoint costs are pretty low, but the same could be said for the harvesting tools. This would fall in line with those as a similar convenience promotional.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

I am not quite sure on that, but exactly what would be the difference between paying X gems for waypointing and paying Y gold for it?

After all, you could just sell the gems, get gold for it and travel the same.

in Suggestions

CrisisHotline.3958

It would be about the same difference as all three harvesting tools. Those tools are one-time gem cost to mitigate a lifetime of purchases if you harvest constantly. As a player who has all three of those tools, I can comfortably say the price was worth the peace of mind as well as being able to harvest whatever I want whenever I feel like doing so.

The waypoint item would work similarly to reduce lifetime expenses from simply navigating the game. I think there would be as many players who would find value in that as do the harvesting tools.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Waypoint costs are a significant gold sink and removing that gold sink would have drastic effects on the economy.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Envy.1679

Envy.1679

Waypoint costs are a significant gold sink.

so were axes, picks, and sickles

MARATHON CIV 5 DIFFICULTY 10 STILL GOING

in Suggestions

Olba.5376

Unless you’re specifically farming nodes, you’re very unlikely to need 1 of each harvesting tool per day.

On the other hand, you’re very likely to spend that much on waypointing on a daily basis.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Player Character.9467

Player Character.9467

Ya but the infinite ones are what? 25g? and they’re replacing a 4s purchase? That’s 625 mining picks or 62500 ore attempts.

I don’t really see such an item being viable for sale. If we called ‘normal’ usage 1 entire pickaxe per day (which is really way above the normal) then an infinite waypoint item would have to cost a little over 20 months of waypointing to be equivalently priced. People were willing to pay for the infinite tools to remove having to visit npcs and hold spares in their inventory. These issues don’t exist with waypointing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Axes, picks and sickles are not a gold sink. You can buy them with karma.

Try paying for a waypoint with karma.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Yep. I haven’t paid with money for a single ori pick, axe or sickle in a long time. The pick requires you to do a DE in Southsun but the other 2 are sold in Orr. You can even buy fine salvage kits for general salvaging with karma (several of the cultural weapon sellers).

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

buying them with karma means you aren’t turning that excess karma into gold, it has been sunk.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

karma that wouldve been used to make money off orrian boxes… gold sink still applies here.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

karma that wouldve been used to make money off orrian boxes… gold sink still applies here.

A single orrian box costs kitten karma, which equals 13 gathering tools. Each of the 13 gathering tools has 50-100 uses.

That’s not a gold sink.

in Suggestions

CrisisHotline.3958

To the points you’ve made that attribute ‘gem store’ with gold-to-gem purchases; what I meant by quality of life was referring to players who might not have cash in game, but are still willing to make gem purchases with real currency. Chances are if you’re debating the value of in gold-to-gems exchanges, you’re essentially discussing the gold cost of something vs the gold cost of the same something. Also if you’re the type of player that will only make a gem store purchase with gold-to-gems transactions, you’re not really the target audience if the goal is to make money. I imagine the prices are designed for gold-to-gems to be favored negatively anyway.

This suggestion along with the resource tools are directed toward players who would find value not only in saving gold in the long run, but may have more disposable income outside of the game than in it.

Considering on a light day I could go through multiple picks and axes, simply not having to buy those anymore was worth the price to me. The convenience it added to the game was the principle selling point as far as I was concerned.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

A single orrian box costs kitten karma, which equals 13 gathering tools. Each of the 13 gathering tools has 50-100 uses.

That’s not a gold sink.

does it lower your money? yes. thats a gold sink.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vitus Dance.4509

Vitus Dance.4509

I reckon Asura should travel free…and get a dividend from all the cash spent on gate travel.
After all, we invented the bleeding thing…makes sense we should also benefit from it’s (over)use – it’d certainly be a nice racial to have.

in Suggestions

CrisisHotline.3958

To address the issue of waypointing being ‘gold sink,’ copper-counting friends of mine have admitted to me that they make sure to do a dynamic event after waypointing to make up the fee. Its not hard to make back the expense, so its rather ineffective as a gold-sinking method.

I realize I just countered my own suggestion, but again I suggested this as a peace of mind addition that simply adds convenience. Regardless of how players choose to harvest nodes, for example, the permanent gathering tools added the convenience of not having to replace them; plus never having to consider the tier of the node versus the tier of the tool for cost effectiveness. So no more carrying multiples for those who only used ori-tools on t6 nodes and carried t5> tools for the rest.

Even if the waypoint cost is minimal and noninhibitive, I still would consider it a convenience not to have to think about it anymore.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

Ok but would you be willing to pay for 2 years of waypointing upfront to not have to pay each time?

in Suggestions

CrisisHotline.3958

Two years of in game gold or a couple hours of money I’m not spending on bills or food. I would absolutely prefer not to have the game take away gold because it feels like it. At the same time I enjoy supporting the company when it adds items that make playing the game feel less like a series of taxes.

Say I play the game for the next 10 years, it would be pretty sweet to nullify all the B.S. expenses that accumulate from simply moving around. I don’t recall having free transportation across the maps of multiple expansions hurting the first game. Sure the economy wasn’t as developed as it is now, but I don’t remember that hurting it either.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

That’s not a gold sink.

You have no clue what a gold sink is, do you.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

That’s not a gold sink.

“Gold sink is an economic process by which a video game’s ingame currency (‘gold’), or any item that can be valued against it, is removed.”

I do, but i dont know about you.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

That’s not a gold sink.

“Gold sink is an economic process by which a video game’s ingame currency (‘gold’), or any item that can be valued against it, is removed.”

Parroting wikipedia doesn’t mean you understand it.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

That’s not a gold sink.

What are you even trying to get at? If you have the real definition of “gold sink” just say it instead of telling me im wrong just because youre wrong.. I know what it is and definitions online agree with me.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

That’s not a gold sink.

What are you even trying to get at? If you have the real definition of “gold sink” just say it instead of telling me im wrong just because youre wrong.. I know what it is and definitions online agree with me.

A gold sink removes large quantities of existing gold from the game.

Not buying a purchaseable item of minimal value doesn’t equal removing large quantities of existing gold from the game.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

That’s not a gold sink.

Not buying a purchaseable item of minimal value doesn’t equal removing large quantities of existing gold from the game.

just because karma isnt called “gold” doesnt mean the term gold sink cant apply to it. its still a common currency and has sinks.

over time, the purchases of many small items (gathering tools in this situation) will cause your karma to dwindle and remove a sizeable amount of karma from the game.

the amount doesnt have to be “large” thats opinion on your side and isnt the definition.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Amun Ra.6435

Amun Ra.6435

I am not quite sure on that, but exactly what would be the difference between paying X gems for waypointing and paying Y gold for it?

After all, you could just sell the gems, get gold for it and travel the same.

It seems like a weird idea at first, but if you think about it its really no different than the unlimited tools. I would buy that.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

That’s not a gold sink.

just because karma isnt called “gold” doesnt mean the term gold sink cant apply to it. its still a common currency and has sinks.

over time, the purchases of many small items (gathering tools in this situation) will cause your karma to dwindle and remove a sizeable amount of karma from the game.

the amount doesnt have to be “large” thats opinion on your side and isnt the definition.

If it has nothing to do with removing actual gold from the game, it’s not a gold sink.

It can be a karma sink, whatever. The fact is, it keeps gold in the game, and sinks karma instead.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

That’s not a gold sink.

If it has nothing to do with removing actual gold from the game, it’s not a gold sink.

It can be a karma sink, whatever. The fact is, it keeps gold in the game, and sinks karma instead.

ive already explained how you turn karma into gold (spending karma now equals removing gold). its still a gold sink. just stop arguing, youre wrong.

PS the term gold sink doesnt have to be used on currency that isnt called gold. it still works with currencies with a different name. not hard to understand.

rift didnt call their gold sinks platinum sinks.

(edited by Envy.1679)

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

That’s not a gold sink.

It does remove actual gold from the game, it keeps you from creating gold in game via the boxes or any similar means. This is a potential gold loss.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

That’s not a gold sink.

ive already explained how you turn karma into gold. its still a gold sink. just stop arguing, youre wrong.

PS the turn gold sink doesnt have to be used on currency that isnt called gold. it still works with currencies with a different name. not hard to understand.

You didn’t explain anything, you didn’t even think what you were talking about.

An orrian box is an optional purchase, not buying it doesn’t mean you lose any gold.

Furthermore, a single orrian box gives you 4 silver on average, for the 4.5k karma spent. That karma gives you 13 gathering tools, that can last over a month. Not buying one box “sinks” a whopping 4s over a period of one month. That is not a gold sink.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

That’s not a gold sink.

ive already explained how you turn karma into gold. its still a gold sink. just stop arguing, youre wrong.

PS the turn gold sink doesnt have to be used on currency that isnt called gold. it still works with currencies with a different name. not hard to understand.

You didn’t explain anything, you didn’t even think what you were talking about.

An orrian box is an optional purchase, not buying it doesn’t mean you lose any gold.

Furthermore, a single orrian box gives you 4 silver on average, for the 4.5k karma spent. That karma gives you 13 gathering tools, that can last over a month. Not buying one box “sinks” a whopping 4s over a period of one month. That is not a gold sink.

ive explained it perfectly clear to you. the tools could last you a month, that does not mean you will not need to buy them again. youre repeatedly buying small purchases with karma which can be turned in to gold if not for having to buy gathering tools. that is a gold sink.

not buying orrian boxes because you bought something else = loss of gold.

really dont know how you are not understanding something as simple as this.

you can go weeks without having to spend 10s to repair your armor. A “WHOPPING” 10s you just saved yourself in the course of a month. does that mean armor repair is still not a gold sink? of course it doesnt. same concept here.

waypoints are also optional, you can play youre entire game without having to waypoint once(which is exactly how my friend plays). does that mean theyre not a gold sink? no.

Attachments:

(edited by Envy.1679)

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

It’s not loss of gold, because the boxes are optional. Not everyone buys them. Gold sinks are not built on optional purchases, they are built on things you will not avoid.

Like I said, you don’t really understand the concept of a gold sink.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

It’s not loss of gold, because the boxes are optional. Not everyone buys them. Gold sinks are not built on optional purchases, they are built on things you will not avoid.

waypoints are optional too, i guess that means waypoints arent gold sinks either.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

waypoints are optional too, i guess that means waypoints arent gold sinks either.

You can’t avoid using waypoints.

You can avoid buying boxes. In fact, almost nobody I know is buying them. I certainly am not buying them.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

You can avoid buying boxes. In fact, almost nobody I know is buying them. I certainly am not buying them.

you can completely avoid using way points if you wanted to. try a different argument please.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

you can completely avoid using way points if you wanted to. try a different argument please.

Avoiding using waypoints is not a viable way to play this game.

Avoiding buying a single orr box per month is a perfectly viable way to play the game.

See the difference?

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

Avoiding buying a single orr box per month is a perfectly viable way to play the game.

See the difference?

how is it not viable? my friend does it just fine. you can get to any part of the world fairly quickly with portals alone.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

See the difference?

how is it not viable? my friend does it just fine. you can get to any part of the world fairly quickly with portals alone.

Your friend must be really enjoying running from Frostgorge to Orr.

The rest of the playerbase doesn’t, I assure you. I don’t even need to have any real statistics to say that over 99% of players don’t do that, and still be spot on about it.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

See the difference?

The rest of the playerbase doesn’t, I assure you. I don’t even need to have any real statistics to say that over 99% of players don’t do that, and still be spot on about it.

running? you mean, going to the heart of the mists, porting to lions arch. going to gendarren fields and using the vigil gate to port to fort trinity?

yea i can totaly see how thats running from frostgorge to orr.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

See the difference?

running? you mean, going to the heart of the mists, porting to lions arch. going to gendarren fields and using the vigil gate to port to fort trinity?

And I can see how over 99% of the players don’t do that, because running.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

See the difference?

And I can see how over 99% of the players don’t do that, because running.

the point is not everyone uses waypoints. that doesnt mean waypoints arent gold sinks. similar to how not everyone buys orrian boxes.

and my original point still stands that buying axes, picks, and sickles will drain your karma (furthermore losing karma means losing gold, however small amount)over time, where the term “gold sink” ( and no, not karma sink – gold sink. it CAN can be applied to that) which was my first point that buying axes, picks, and sickles are gold sinks.

if they weren’t intended to be a gold sink, they would have never made it so you would have to repeatedly buy them.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

the point is not everyone uses waypoints. that doesnt mean waypoints arent gold sinks. similar to how not everyone buys orrian boxes.

One person is not even “not everyone”.It’s just one weird person that plays weird. “Not everyone” would mean a statistically significant portion of the playerbase.

and my original point still stands that buying axes, picks, and sickles will drain your karma (furthermore losing karma means losing gold, however small amount)over time, where the term “gold sink” ( and no, not karma sink – gold sink. it CAN can be applied to that) which was my first point that buying axes, picks, and sickles are gold sinks.

if they weren’t intended to be a gold sink, they would have never made it so you would have to repeatedly buy them.

You don’t have a point there.

Gathering tools will never drain your karma (again, over 99% of the players will never manage to spend these tools fast enough to make a dent in their karma), and buying them doesn’t lose you gold.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

One person is not even “not everyone”.It’s just one weird person that plays weird. “Not everyone” would mean a statistically significant portion of the playerbase.

You don’t have a point there.

Gathering tools will never drain your karma (again, over 99% of the players will never manage to spend these tools fast enough to make a dent in their karma), and buying them doesn’t lose you gold.

you previously said “sure, these are karma sinks” but now youre saying “they will never dent your karma”

you cant even keep your own arguments contradicting them selves and yet you still try to argue with me.

im done with this argument as you cant even understand simple concepts like gold sinks yet you tell me i dont understand them when ive been playing mmos for over 10 years.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

you previously said “sure, these are karma sinks” but now youre saying “they will never dent your karma”

you cant even keep your own arguments contradicting them selves and yet you still try to argue with me.

im done with this argument as you cant even understand simple concepts like gold sinks yet you tell me i dont understand them when ive been playing mmos for over 10 years.

That’s not what I said.

in Suggestions

Player Character.9467

AntiGw,

Good luck with handling your money in real life if you don’t see what an opportunity cost is.

in Suggestions

CrisisHotline.3958

I don’t think that anyone in particular is wrong, though the argument of what is or is not a gold/karma sink a bit off topic. Not everyone can be expected to agree or even play the same way, and simply having an existing alternative does not make it attractive to some players or invalidate the desires of others for a more reasonable option.

Perhaps we can refocus on the merits of the initial suggestion based on existing and previous gem store items, or perhaps offer improvements or alterations?

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

I don’t think that anyone in particular is wrong, though the argument of what is or is not a gold/karma sink a bit off topic. Not everyone can be expected to agree or even play the same way, and simply having an existing alternative does not make it attractive to some players or invalidate the desires of others for a more reasonable option.

Perhaps we can refocus on the merits of the initial suggestion based on existing and previous gem store items, or perhaps offer improvements or alterations?

The argument about gold sinks is not off topic. Gold sinks remove lots of gold from the game, reducing inflation. Waypoint costs do just that.

Buying a wp cost eliminator would significantly reduce that process. You pay real money once, and all that in-game gold stays inside the game.

Having that in mind just shows how ridiculous the comparison of wp costs with harvesting tools was.

in Suggestions

Envy.1679

The argument about gold sinks is not off topic. Gold sinks remove lots of gold from the game, reducing inflation. Waypoint costs do just that.

Buying a wp cost eliminator would significantly reduce that process. You pay real money once, and all that in-game gold stays inside the game.

Having that in mind just shows how ridiculous the comparison of wp costs with harvesting tools was.

people buy gem store items, prices of gems go up, more money is sinked through higher prices of gems when people buy gems with gold. no inflation here.

in Suggestions

AntiGw.9367

people buy gem store items, prices of gems go up, more money is sinked through higher prices of gems when people buy gems with gold. no inflation here.

What exactly do you imagine will happen if such an item gets implemented? Because it sounds like your previous arguments that you didn’t think through.

in Suggestions

CrisisHotline.3958

AntiGw.9367

I’ve already offered a relatively effortless way to make up waypoint costs, so its usefulness as a gold-sink is negligible as it is. Typically when people waypoint somewhere, they make up the cost by doing whatever it was they went there to do (the same could be said about the harvesting tools). I would dare say that all but the rarest circumstances result in having more silver than you started with after waypointing.

The cost to waypoint serves no real significant function. If you want a real gold sink, craft a legendary. Comparitively speaking, the legendary process vaporizes money. Waypoint costs just annoy players. My suggestion was directed toward players who would be willing to pay to remove an annoyance from the game, not something that has any real crippling impact on the economy.

in Suggestions

Olba.5376

That assumes at least a few things that are at best questionable or downright insane. First off, the only gold sink in the Gem Store is the fee that gets taken out. Second off, the Gem Store is a different gold sink. What you’re assuming is that the higher gem price from people buying this kind of item would far outdo the costs of waypointing that they would avoid. Which isn’t necessarily true, considering that most people would likely buy the item with real money instead of Gold.

I’ve already offered a relatively effortless way to make up waypoint costs, so its usefulness as a gold-sink is negligible as it is. Typically when people waypoint somewhere, they make up the cost by doing whatever it was they went there to do (the same could be said about the harvesting tools). I would dare say that all but the rarest circumstances result in having more silver than you started with after waypointing.

I waypoint a ton of times a day, but most of it is to do events where I get guaranteed rares. Selling even one of those rares on the TP makes up most of my waypointing costs for doing it.

However, that does not undo the gold sink, as the gold I am gaining is from other players, not something newly generated by slaying monsters. Which, I would imagine, a lot of people do.