Weapon Swapping for Elems, except not really

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

So, I understand why elems don’t have weap swapping, and I really don’t mind it, however there are times when I want to weap swap so, my idea is thus:

Allow weapon swappping only when out of combat, once in combat, the swapping is locked.

This wouldn’t make an elem’s skill assortment in battle any greater than it currently is.

OR, if that’s not doable, at least make offhand weaps work like they did in GW1 when you equipped a staff, in other words, the dagger would stay in the offhand slot, but it wont be used.

in Suggestions

Posted by: RedDeath.2980

RedDeath.2980

…Are you not able to equip or unequip your weapons?!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

…Are you not able to equip or unequip your weapons?!

My elementalist switches from staff to scepter/focus occasionally, so I can see the appeal of the suggestion.

And sure, I can simply equip the alternate set from inventory. But it’s a little annoying to find the item in inventory first, and make sure that if I switch to staff, the focus doesn’t get tossed into my other drops. I’ve even sold my focus to a vendor once or twice simply because I wasn’t careful enough (thankfully I noticed and was able to simply buy it back). Not to mention that other characters with weapon swaps don’t have to use inventory space at all for their swap sets.

Provided that the swap was done entirely out of combat, I can’t see a down side to this.

in Suggestions

Ven Zehn.6573

If i didnt need to swap weapons quickly I probably wouldnt care, but in WvW, I like using staff for siege and defense, but when i’m running around and pvping in wvw, I want my scep/dag set, and the time it takes to switch can be the dif between me dying or not, since I’m not as effective 1on1 with my staff.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GummiBear.2756

GummiBear.2756

Not to mention that other characters with weapon swaps don’t have to use inventory space at all for their swap sets.

LOL my elemetalist is among the characters i have that uses the LEAST invtory space for weapon, since they have so few differnet ones (the only one with about equally little space uses is engineer), other classes may have a weapon swap yes, but they also have a lot more weapons, that all can provide some utilty you may need at some point, so you be carrying a lot more weapons on you too…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bahamadude.4925

Bahamadude.4925

I see nothing wrong with the idea. seeing as many of the weapon icons look very similar in the inventory, it would be nice to have it equiped so you can click a button to swap it out of combat. I don’t think it will be all that hard to pull off.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Echo.2087

Echo.2087

Should be same for Engineers, just for completeness sake.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nkuvu.2570

Nkuvu.2570

all can provide some utilty you may need at some point, so you be carrying a lot more weapons on you too…

Maybe. But that’s not how I personally play the game. I choose two weapon sets for my warrior or thief or necromancer (or whatever) and then don’t carry spares. It’s not like weapons break. I have never run into an issue where I was sad that I didn’t have a particular weapon.

in Suggestions

Ven Zehn.6573

Let me make an example so that those of you who have never played an elem before (engineers as well, though I feel elems would benefit from this the most):

In wvw, I prefer to run around and do things with my scepter/dagger, as it’s my prefered set for general combat and pvp, however, let’s say my keep is under attack and I want to do AOE damage at greater range: so I switch to my staff. Currently, I’d have to step out of combat, open my hero panel or inventory, and manually equip the staff, easy enough right? How about when I choose to jump off the wall and chase down stragglers, I’d have to step out of combat, and open my inventory, find both my scepter and my dagger, which can be anywhere in my inventory depending on what was in there, equip both, and then close my inventory, at which point the stragglers are probably long gone. If this idea of mine was implemented, I’d just have to step out of combat, and hit my weap swap key.

The main thing is, I still have to be out of combat to do it, in combat I have no increased benefit what so ever, other than perhaps peace of mind

in Suggestions

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

For diversity of opinion’s sake:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Elementalist-weapon-swap-2/page/2

A suggestion that would give a form of in-combat weapon swap; potentially add dozens of new builds, prevent one from ‘locking-in’ an unusable weapon in a long-term battle, and would do so without giving the class more than twenty skills available at a time.

(edited by Conncept.7638)