What GW2 Can Learn From WoW

in Suggestions

Posted by: Malkavian.3751

Malkavian.3751

Preface

• Been playing GW2 since launch
  • Been playing WoW on and off since 2004
  • Regardless if you believe WoW is a good game or not, it’s success is undeniable
  • I’ll be posting more suggestions as I think of them
  • The list of improvements are in no particular order

List of Improvements: GW2 needs, WoW has

Implement mounts – These mounts do not necessarily have to provide a speed boost like WoW. They could be purely cosmetic like the current broom “mount”.

Improve PvE culling – Although WvW culling has been addressed, PvE culling, especially in places like Lions Arch is still terrible. I can stand 5 feet away from a group of people, and they all suddenly disappear. It makes the area feel empty.

Implement raids – These raids do not need to be a gear treadmill grind like WoW, however, I believe dungeons that are 10+ man would really improve the game. These should require more coordination than 5 man dungeons.

Loot tables – Implementing loot tables on certain champions or bosses. For example, a certain piece of cool cosmetic gear having a chance to drop from them.

Guild Calendar – Add calendar to guilds so the player-base can see upcoming events

Improve minipets – Minipets are in a poor state right now. Forced depositing when you click deposit all, disappearing when you change zones, having to open up inventory everytime to bring them up, etc.. We need a mini pet patch

Other needed improvements (not WoW related)

Make WvW meaningful – WvW currently consists of three servers fighting for a few days, just to have everything reset. Make WvW more meaningful. Add rewards to the winning servers for example

Improve outmanned buff – Although we don’t want to punish servers for having more players, I believe the outmanned buff needs to be improved in some manner.

Larger serious content – I’d rather wait longer for larger and more serious content, then had small meaningless content every few weeks, or once a month.

Less RNG Boxes – This has been discussed to death already.

in Suggestions

Posted by: chris the concerer.2974

chris the concerer.2974

plus weapons that can only drop from bosses and have a rare chance of dropping that could be really cool

in Suggestions

Posted by: bloodletting wolf.2837

bloodletting wolf.2837

Mounts – as long as they are small and have no speed buff I’m cool with it
Pve culling – It doesn’t happen to me so it might be your machine
Raids – They tried open world “raids” in orr. I’m thinking they might not be good at designing stuff like that
Loot tables – There are some dragon specific stuff for sure. I’ve gotten a pieces from Shatterer and Claw
Minipets – put them in an invisible bag so they won’t deposit
Outmanned – My server is usually outmanned and yeah it kinda sucks fighting huge zergs when you have a 20 man but there are strategies to breaking up a zerg with 5 man havoc teams
Content updates – Honestly I would rather that they finish balancing and polishing before they release ANY more content.
I believe that the first year is being treated like an extended beta to see what works with the system and what doesn’t. Hopefully we will see some more meaningful content when they finally sort everything out.

Kaa Mchorror NSP grenadier [hayt]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mentalhead.5721

Mentalhead.5721

Loot tables sounds interesting, it would be sweet if you could get unique armor / weapon skins, or dare I say unique weapons / armors with some unique runes from specific bosses.

As for PVE culling, they accidentally released in some announcement few months ago that they are working on PVE culling, but it’s still being tested.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

No, apart from an ingame calender i disagree with all of that.

If gw2 needs to look at another game for ideas its not wow, its rift

in Suggestions

Posted by: GuardianOMS.8067

GuardianOMS.8067

I have trouble listening to anything someone has to say if they list mounts as a serious improvement to GW2.

There are a lot of things a game that is less than a year old can learn from a ten year veteran, but lots it can learn from other games too.

Sgt Killjoy – “Pedantic” “babe” and “bff” of Saiyr
The devs don’t care about WvW so I’m gonna kill players in PvE!

in Suggestions

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Mounts – I have no particular feeling about this. I can’t see how they’d improve the game personally, at the same time, I can’t see how they’d detract either.

Improve PvE Culling – This is a WiP. You can’t just switch it off without optimization first, otherwise it’d be lag hell.

Raids – Rather than instanced raids, add more large, complex open-world events and improve on the current ones, as well as improving scaling to add additional mechanics when a certain number of players is reached. I personally think GW2 should focus on its open-world rather than instanced content.

Loot tables – they don’t need to learn this from WoW because it was already implemented in GW.

Guild Calender – could be a useful tool.

Minipets – again, no particular feelings.

WvW – Depends on what you define as ‘meaningful’. For a lot of people, the game play in itself is meaningful, thus they have no need for extrinsic motivators such as rewards.

Larger content – Again, I quite enjoy the content. I don’t consider it meaningless, considering it progresses a story.

RNG boxes – may or may not be up to Anet to change this. It’s possible that NCSoft have told Anet to put these in.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Implement raids – These raids do not need to be a gear treadmill grind like WoW, however, I believe dungeons that are 10+ man would really improve the game. These should require more coordination than 5 man dungeons.

Hrm… not sure I’d like this. One reason I stopped WoW was specifically to get away from this. I like the bite-sized light-hearted content GW2 offers. It fits my current life much better, too. It’s not casual so much as always low on time-commitment, and I like how the whole game is about chaining short content together instead of committing to a single longer one.

Loot tables – Implementing loot tables on certain champions or bosses. For example, a certain piece of cool cosmetic gear having a chance to drop from them.

Already exists, but yeah, needs to be improved.

Make WvW meaningful – WvW currently consists of three servers fighting for a few days, just to have everything reset. Make WvW more meaningful. Add rewards to the winning servers for example

This already exists ingame, and the bonuses are quite strong. However people tend to forget about them since none of them truly say “Hey, you got 12% more HP because your realm mates kicked major butt!”.
I guess having a short WvW “break” (of 24 hours or so) during which you get bonuses based on which place you made (with different bonuses given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, not just better or worse) could do some good here.

Improve outmanned buff – Although we don’t want to punish servers for having more players, I believe the outmanned buff needs to be improved in some manner.

Yeah. Not having repair bill is the important part, motivating even the most timid player to some truly crazy suicide charges.
But we need more! Cheaper siege would be a big thing, IMO. Or maybe outmanned spawning a vendor with “Last ditch effort siege blueprints” (which disappear on leaving the zone or relogging), which cost only ~30% the materials to build.

(edit)

Raids – Rather than instanced raids, add more large, complex open-world events and improve on the current ones, as well as improving scaling to add additional mechanics when a certain number of players is reached. I personally think GW2 should focus on its open-world rather than instanced content.

Very much this, yes.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Direksone.3867

Direksone.3867

When reading the title: “OH NO HE DIDN’T!”. Not that I care, but so much rage occurs mostly.

Anyway, I agree with pretty much all your suggestions. There is SO much to improve I don’t even know where to start. There are a lot of things I would like to see implemented/changed/improved, but my skeptisism is growing with every patch put out. The lack of content is just astounding. They ‘hype’ their patches and when they come out it feels like nothing has been added.
Love the game for sure, but I will need more stuff added in order for me to play more. Currently I barely play as I am rather busy (±8 hours a week), but I have played since the start so I’ve pretty much seen all content and their new additions lately have really been lacking.

Blood And Metal is a guild on Gunnars Hold that is all about metal, punk,hard rock etc.. Join us!

in Suggestions

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

Popularity fallacy. It’s not because something’s popular, that it’s good.

Preface
Been listening to REM since 2000
Been listening to Justin Bieber on and off since 2006
Regardless if you believe Justin Bieber is a good artist or not, his success is undeniable
I’ll be posting more suggestions as I think of them
The list of improvements to REM are in no particular order

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

Furthermore I do not agree with raids needing more coordination. From my experience, raids were usually kittenly easy, merely because getting 40 online kittens work together is nigh impossible. The individual tasks were so easy most people should be able to do them correctly first time through. However the illusion of teamwork is strong, because doing something easy with 40 kittens must be more difficult than doing something difficult with 5 friend right? RIGHT?

Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

in Suggestions

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Pve culling – It doesn’t happen to me so it might be your machine

Everybody has it for now, just go to a larger world event like a dragon fight.

Improve minipets – Forced depositing when you click deposit all

Do you know what invisible bags are for?

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sebulon.7683

Sebulon.7683

I don’t see the need for mounts, but the other ideas sound cool. Guild calendar would make my life a lot easier!

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZeroRaiNs.7154

ZeroRaiNs.7154

I agree with the OP.

Everything you said is really what this game needs for everybody. I find it funny that in patch 5.4 in WoW that they are adding flexible raiding. Basically, the raid instance adjusts to how many players are present in the raid with a cap of course. Why can’t GW2 innovate like this? I’ve been advocating a system such as this for a while now on these forums. It’s funny that Blizzard introduces this in their game.

Ugh, I’m just sad that ArenaNet cannot satisfy the larger guilds that WANT to do epic PvE-content with a risk versus reward system. I want to play this game more but there isn’t much to do with a guild besides WvW. We tried the guild bounty system and they didn’t like it. Please give us something more ArenaNet and not little micro-content. We want way better innovation and worthwhile raids.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

I agree with the OP.

Everything you said is really what this game needs for everybody. I find it funny that in patch 5.4 in WoW that they are adding flexible raiding. Basically, the raid instance adjusts to how many players are present in the raid with a cap of course. Why can’t GW2 innovate like this? I’ve been advocating a system such as this for a while now on these forums. It’s funny that Blizzard introduces this in their game.

Firstly, it isn’t innovative; City of Heroes done it first.

Secondly, you are aware that DE’s scale depending on the amount of players, right?

Ugh, I’m just sad that ArenaNet cannot satisfy the larger guilds that WANT to do epic PvE-content with a risk versus reward system. I want to play this game more but there isn’t much to do with a guild besides WvW. We tried the guild bounty system and they didn’t like it. Please give us something more ArenaNet and not little micro-content. We want way better innovation and worthwhile raids.

You do know that there are more Guild Missions aside from the Bounties, right?

As for raids, I’ve made my feelings clear up above.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Please read my list of improvements I posted when this game launched.

Let me also add that they would do well to make difficulty levels for harder content and improve rewards systems alround. This game is so anti-reward it’s not really a pleasant experience to play and then not have the carrot yeah know. There also seems to be some kind of anti-solo play going on here that’s not really healthy for the PVE content. Every mmo has had to go thru learning that the way you keep players coming is include enough solo play in PVE so they have stuff to do not to mention enough minigames with rewards so that players can have something to do inbetween the PVE content slots, it’s definitely missing alot.

There’s only so many out of the 2 minigames you can get into until it gets old. And guild currencies should not be 100% all guild all the time, there comes a time when some guildies should be able to join in with non guildies in world events and get a currency they can use for useful items like T6 materials needed for crafting buffs and bonus consumables.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

(edited by tigirius.9014)

in Suggestions

Posted by: DarkSider.1079

DarkSider.1079

Add the ability to save builds (traits) and swap them out in addition to multiple armor tabs for swapping and I think it’d make some great additions to the game saving time, energy and wasted time in other places.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ZeroRaiNs.7154

ZeroRaiNs.7154

@TheDaiBish.9735

Yes, I’m aware of those. And good for city of heroes, I guess?

Anyways, the game is just lacking a lot of content for larger guilds to do. It feels like I’m playing a single-player game and it’s funny that even magic-find is still a stat in this game. That’s laughable as a stat and doesn’t work in a friendly environment with players working toward achieving common goals.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Isende.2607

Isende.2607

ok, copy/pasted from op, in order to address each point individually:

Implement mounts
problem — currently broom mount only occurs within towns — would you wish this to occur out in the world? if so, then do you include speed boosts, etc?

Improve PvE culling
in towns isn’t the worst of it! take, oh, say, the worm event in wayfarer — i can’t see the worms spawn, even with a pretty dang good computer, until they’re lying dead and i go to loot the bodies. i just lay down aoes where i know they “should” be spawning. this doesn’t feel like real battle, it feels like “yawn, oh, another aoe … yawn”

Implement raids
first of all, i absolutely do NOT wish to have vertical gear progression. it’s been a revelation to me, how much i really enjoy just playing the game and increasing my abilities, without having to worry about grinding gear in order to increase my abilities. that said? i’d LOVE some more “difficult” and even possibly 10-man dungeons, but i’d really like anet to consider other mechanics than kb/kd/pulls. yeah, i know, it IS an irritating mechanic, but it seems that almost all the fights rely on to the exclusion of actual FIGHT mechanics.

Loot tables
love this idea! as it is, if you want particular armor, you have to what, like, 123 explorable dungeon runs? so yeah, loot tables would be nice.

Guild Calendar
guild calendar, guild notes, guild management in general needs vast and major improvement; but guild calendar with invite options would be an enormous asset

Improve minipets
big BIG time agreement!

Make WvW meaningful
from what i’m aware of, the wvw bonuses gained by teams that are given to the server are the “meaning” behind wvw, besides the fact that some folk just love to kill other players. but i can see that more “meaningful” bonuses could be complementary

Improve outmanned buff
honestly, thinking back to wow days — no matter what was done with this; added to or taken away, it was NEVER enough to make folk happy, of either one side or another

Larger serious content
i agree with this for the reason stated, AS WELL AS the fact that with the CONSTANT influx of new content, and the CONSTANT need to keep getting these “new achievements,” i’m beginning to feel like i’m on the treadmill again. not happy-making.

Less RNG Boxes
omg yes!!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Madjon.2657

Madjon.2657

Mounts : I would like to see ‘one’ new WvW map make use of vehicles, all the game models for Submarines, tanks, air ships etc are all there ( Black citadel ) just need to use them.

Like i said just on one new WvW map that is of course player optional.

How cool would it be to have a 3-5 man Submarine patrolling around a very large lake like the current maps? You could attack/defend water gates, perhaps an underwater supply camp — oil/gas. I would LOVE it.

I find it strange that the Black citadel has all this stuff and yet the players use none of it in WvW?? Its bizarre.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

I would like to see guild and alliance-wide rewards for guilds that accomplish great things in wvw. Something that allows that guild to shine. Something to show off in PVE, or perhaps simply a form of recognition when that particular alliance is instrumental in fighting for the server.

As the OP said, wvw constantly resets, with nothing left to show for it. And of course it does need to reset constantly. But it would be nice if conquering all those castles lead to some guild- or alliance-wide reward.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

in Suggestions

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I almost stopped after mounts. What is it with this obsession for mounts. It does not fit the game, it cannot be done in gw2.

PVE culling, yes please, top of the list to fix. It is annoying as heel not being able to see what everyone is doing, and more what the foes are doing.

Raids, I have no experience with raids so i read up a bbit, basicly instanced with more people and longer time to finish the content? Could work, but no in the current form of the playerbase on some servers.

Loot tables on bosses, this was also in GW1, and i have no idea why this is not implemented in gw2. Good idea.

Other parts of your suggestions are also valid. The rng I am not so sure about, but more pve content, more wvw content.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

You can’t be serious.

So basically make GW2 be WoW and GW2 will be good. Flawless.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

You can’t be serious.

So basically make GW2 be WoW and GW2 will be good. Flawless.

Why not!? Just like WoW inspired it’s content from other successful games.

Wait… Or do you think WoW invented the dungeons, mounts and pets?)))))

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

@TheDaiBish.9735

Yes, I’m aware of those. And good for city of heroes, I guess?

Anyways, the game is just lacking a lot of content for larger guilds to do. It feels like I’m playing a single-player game and it’s funny that even magic-find is still a stat in this game. That’s laughable as a stat and doesn’t work in a friendly environment with players working toward achieving common goals.

If someone has done it before, it isn’t innovation (unless they improve upon it, in which case it is incremental innovation).

You also mention lack of content for larger, then say it feels like a single player game. Does this mean you play on your own? You NEED content tailored to larger guilds in order to play with your guild?

I don’t see why the content aimed at large groups needs to be instanced. I personally feel that Anet should focus on the world, include all of the challenging content in the world. That would build the community far more than hiding the challenging fights behind some instance that have a number limit.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grackleflint.4956

Grackleflint.4956

And by more you mean “some.” The zergfest needs to stop to keep this game alive.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Belgian Dead Reaver.4318

Belgian Dead Reaver.4318

Implement mounts – Mounts are useless and would destroy GW2 if they were speed boosts, if they aren’t speed boosts then tehy ahve no value at all, people would complain about it and Anet would just get more kitten thrown at their heads for not making them “run fast because a lion is fast”

Improve PvE culling – I agree on the phasing that i see groups of people disappear.

Implement raids – NO, the only “raids” you need are fractals at the moment, GW2 is based on a 5 man group where you work together, not a 10 or 25 man raid where you just repeat a kittening sequence for 10 minutes.

Loot tables – The randomness of the loot table is typical GW2, taking that away is one of the worst things you can do.

Guild Calendar – Use the sites that are designed for GW2 guilds, they have calendars.

Improve minipets – The only thing they can improve is making it so that it doesn’t fill an inventory slot and that they stay summoned when switching zones, other than that, they are nice.

Make WvW meaningful – WvW is meaningful enough ,idk what the hell you want them to do about it but whatever it should do is stupid, WvW gives buffs in WvW which makes playing WvW meaningful for further progression into the battle.

Improve outmanned buff – The only way to fix this is to create a player limit in WvW or lowering the server limit, doing this will still punish the higher populated servers, completely removing the buff punishes the lower populated servers even more.

Larger serious content – The serious content is quite big at the moment and the only thing necessary is maybe an extra dungeon addes, no need for anything more than that. Besides maybe 2 or 3 fractal levels to give fractals more variety.

in Suggestions

Posted by: CulturedMind.9768

CulturedMind.9768

Your missing one big very important factor. Gw2 isn’t wow lol. If I can tell you one thing the dev’s aren’t going to do is make it like wow. Hundreds of thousands of people play this game because it is a unique mmorpg. If you want all the stuff you originally posted up top then go play wow.

in Suggestions

TheDaiBish.9735

Your missing one big very important factor. Gw2 isn’t wow lol. If I can tell you one thing the dev’s aren’t going to do is make it like wow. Hundreds of thousands of people play this game because it is a unique mmorpg. If you want all the stuff you originally posted up top then go play wow.

Even if they’re polar opposites, games can learn from each other. It’s a case of studying the concept, and improving it to your needs, rather than straight-up copying it and getting something that doesn’t fit into the game.

Take reputation, for example.

In WoW, it’s a case of doing dailies for a faction while progressing until you get to the highest rep.

GW2 could have adapted this to simulate moving up the ranks of your respective Order, instead of automatically giving you an arbitery rank that you can’t show off. While raising up the ranks, you may get extra perks, such as cheaper goods from Order vendors, unlocking armour, weapons and titles, and unlocking more challenging missions (both solo and group, exclusive to the theme of that Order). Getting to leadership ranks unlocks missions that require you to devise a strategy and implement it, as opposed to following orders.

Both the concepts are the same – gaining rep to unlock stuff. However, while WoW does it to simulate favour with various groups, GW2 could have done it to make Order choice more meaningful as a whole, and not just for the personal story.

TL;DR – learn by analysing the concepts, and then adapt them to the game, as opposed to just straight-up copying.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Pavel.5192

Pavel.5192

doing this will still punish the higher populated servers

so big pain cap 10 towers in a row…

and many players would tranfer to servers with higher WvW population, cause they dont care WvW and want to have best reward…

4ever roaming

(edited by Pavel.5192)

in Suggestions

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

plus weapons that can only drop from bosses and have a rare chance of dropping that could be really cool

I was thinking of this again recently. The idea that a kewl skin could drop from a particular boss would make bosses more appealing to fight again.

I’m sure people have other examples.

I used to do lots of Shards of Orr in GW1 to get the famed Bone Dragon Staff. There was a real moment of apprehension and excitement just before you looted chest. That maybe THIS run would be it!

It creates a kind of grind but so what? Its not Pay to win, it’s not a gear treadmill. You don’t have to do it, you’re repeating it because there’s a chance of what might be the skin you want.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in Suggestions

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Sorry, there’s nothing I miss about WoW.
It was one long, meaningless treadmill grind in both PvE and PvP and the game set people against each other so badly that verbal abuse and exploits such as spawn-camping were actively encouraged.

It was only successful because it attracted droves of immature kids.

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

What to learn from WoW

No raiding
No gear progression
No boring mechanics such as trinity, healing and tanking
No mounts
No sub fees
No server locking (almost there, guesting needs to be cross continent)
No opposing factions
No reputation grind
No PVE grinded gear in PVP … everyone on an even footing
No balancing around the balancer’s favourite class
No overpowered racial skills (will of the forsaken???)

Well … A.net sure learned from WoW’s mistakes, and they weren’t few. The game was good for its time but is long past due.

in Suggestions

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Well … A.net sure learned from WoW’s mistakes, and they weren’t few. The game was good for its time but is long past due.

I agree with most of them but still:

No raiding – Why ?

No gear progression – Why?

No mounts – Dear god, why ??

No opposing factions – Why not? It would spice things up. Charr and Humans still fight. There is the Iron Legion armed giant engines right outside Ebonhawke, while the opposition is constantly attacking charrs in Ascalon.

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

I agree with most of them but still:

No raiding – Why ?

Because adding 30 strangers to my party don’t make dungeons more difficult, only more annoying. Furthermore raiding severely limits access to content because most players don’t go on dates with their videogames.

No gear progression – Why?

On any other forum this would have been a valid question, however because it destroys everything Guild Wars stands for it can’t be implemented in GW2. There’s other games that offer this, most people who play GW2 play it specifically to get away from gear progression.

No mounts – Dear god, why ??

Waypoints.

No opposing factions – Why not? It would spice things up. Charr and Humans still fight. There is the Iron Legion armed giant engines right outside Ebonhawke, while the opposition is constantly attacking charrs in Ascalon.

Because opposing factions fracture your playerbase, induce hate mongering for absolutely no reason and effectively halve the people I can personally play with. If factions have different professions and or abilities, it becomes a balancing nightmare. There are absolutely no benefits to opposing factions in PVE. In PVP it creates queuing and balancing problems that are virtually impossible to solve properly except by removing factions altogether.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I love the argument of WoW is successful so, whether you think it is good or bad, it should be mimiced to be successful. The reason I love this argument is that it leaves out the simple fact that every single game since WoW that has attempted to mimic WoW has been unsuccessful. From this, the only thing I can take in is that in order to be successful you have to pave your own way and ignore what WoW did because doing anything they did because they’re successful will in no way help you become successful.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ratty.5176

Ratty.5176

Implement mounts – I don’t really feel it is necessary, there are better things you could spend development time on. (Give me Skritt as a playable race before mounts)

Improve PvE culling – Totally agree. As a guild co-ordinator, spliting the guild into groups is much harder than necessary because you can’t see how many people are in each group without walking over to them. When you can’t even see all your party, commanders, guild mates within Shortbow range of you there is something iffy.

Implement raids – I actually agree with this. I wouldn’t mind larger group content as long as it wasn’t gear gated. Yes you can argue that there are large open world raids, and this is true, but name one of them (OK maybe Grenth) that the mechanics can’t just be ignored due to number of people involved. I personally would love for guilds to be able to open instanced versions of certain boss fights. Jormag anyone with just 20-40 of your guild sound fun? Saying that, this is coming in a bit with the Guild Puzzles and the Guild Challenges.

Loot tables – It’s not a bad idea, it does already exist in game Final Rest anyone? But I wouldn’t mind seeing more cosmetics in the game.

Guild Calendar – YES just yes..

Improve minipets – I know a lot of people say invisible bags, and yeah I use one myself. However a Mini-pet slot (with a tick like shoulders or helm) that you could wack your pet in and have it not disappear to collectables. And then it auto summons the pet when you enter a zone if it’s ticked… Hell yeah.. would be much better.

Improve outmanned buff – A lowering of the cost to build siege when outmanned would I feel help a lot.

Now for my own feelings

Better Dungeon Reward Balance – I’m not asking for hard content to be stupidly more rewarding. But I would prefer it to be comparable with easier content. Not a single dungeon in the game even slightly compares to CoF path 1. Fractals that take a significant time to do, really don’t drop much in the way of loot. Currently I mess around with most dugeons because Loot really doesn’t matter much to me, however it’s really noticable that things like Path 3 CoF or Path 4 Arah are just not worth doing. balancing the loot would give everyone a bit more end game content that feels worthwhile.

Better Guild Controls – We really need to be able to tell when Guild members last logged on at least. Influence earned might also be nice to know.

Better Chat Controls – Currently it’s very hard for non-Guild groups to communicate. RPers for example. Thieves to discuss builds. Dungeon runners. Mainly because our chat functions are so limited compared to other games on the market like WAR.

Bordered Items – This is only minor but because there are no mod-ers in this game basic quality of life things are missing. One example is being able to see at a glance the rarity of things in your bag by putting a border on them in their rarity color. It’s a minor thing but little quality of life things add up.

Ability to move around you GUI – Both Aion and CoX had no modding, but they allowed you to decide which elements you showed, how big they were and where they appeared. You could be the best GUI designer in the world and not please everyone. SO give people options. When I play my Grenadier Engineer, it is almost imposible to target the ground and watch the Shamen as his HP bar almost entirely hides him.. I would love to be able to move it elsewhere.

in Suggestions

Ratty.5176

I love the argument of WoW is successful so, whether you think it is good or bad, it should be mimiced to be successful. The reason I love this argument is that it leaves out the simple fact that every single game since WoW that has attempted to mimic WoW has been unsuccessful. From this, the only thing I can take in is that in order to be successful you have to pave your own way and ignore what WoW did because doing anything they did because they’re successful will in no way help you become successful.

I don’t agree with Mimicking WoW just because it’s successful. But I do think because WoW is what 80% of the community probably knows, missing out some base functionality (LFG, Guild Controls, GUI manipulation) does make this game feel a bit unfinished. General quality of life things should be emulated unless there is a reason not to (EG. People feeling Inspect hurts the community, whether it does or not)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I don’t agree with Mimicking WoW just because it’s successful. But I do think because WoW is what 80% of the community probably knows, missing out some base functionality (LFG, Guild Controls, GUI manipulation) does make this game feel a bit unfinished. General quality of life things should be emulated unless there is a reason not to (EG. People feeling Inspect hurts the community, whether it does or not)

That’s all fine and good, but not what the OP is asking for. The OP is asking to mimic WoW for WoW’s sake. Not because it’s an actual improvement on the game.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Suggestions

marnick.4305

That’s all fine and good, but not what the OP is asking for. The OP is asking to mimic WoW for WoW’s sake. Not because it’s an actual improvement on the game.

And we all know Justin Bieber is the best musician ever. Radiohead should learn from Justin Bieber /sarcasm

I think mounts aren’t implemented specifically as a “we are not WoW” statement. Theoretically they could be implemented without breaking the game, but it’s better to make a very clear statement that GW2 and WoW are fundamentally different games. Everyone is on an even footing here (pun intended)

in Suggestions

Ratty.5176

Not really. He listed things that he felt WoW did better, not just everything WoW does. He didn’t mention adding Shared material nodes, spreading loot across people rather than each having a seperate roll, and he definitely didn’t mention Trinity.

I think it’s fine to ask for items you think other games do better to be added. I think WAR did certain things better, but I don’t want their Gear progression. However their Chat system and Guild Halls hell yeah. If I wanted to play WAR I would be playing WAR, GW2 does a lot of things right. But there are things it’s just missing.

Raiding is a good example. It has good things and bad things in WoW

PROS

• Gives content for Guilds to do together.
  • Gives more challenging end game content

CONS

• Is heavily gear gated
  • Can end with a group doing all the work and some people just DPSing.

Am I pro larger scale group content? YES.
Do I want Raids as they are implemented in WoW? NO.

If you take what WoW had, work out how you could implement something similar without Trinity (I know it’s possible), and remove the negatives. I really am pro Raids.

(edited by Ratty.5176)