What about mounts?

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yellow Beard Hellfist.2940

Yellow Beard Hellfist.2940

I do not see what adding a mount would do to this game would not cost to travel from one place to another would be slower than teleporting. I don’t have any issue with adding them at all. having to were you could fight while mounted would be cool teat the mount as a weapon with a set of attacks or have an option to have it attack or defend like a pet only then mounted. Also have it unlike a pet that will come back after getting killed this would not so that way would keep away from abuse. Only usable out side with enough room can be healed and brought back like a player. Doing it this way would and should keep all balanced. As for flying mounts or flying in general would like to see it and have a few ideas on how could be done with out it being abused. 1) limit it to high level only maybe 50 or 60 area level range. 2) only usable on your self for a short duration and any thing that requires geting to by other means like chest that requires jumping on rocks or some thing such as that if fly used to by pass and make easy the reward would not be there (empty chest). 3) flying creatures and range attacks both would make it hard and level also getting damaged while flying would ground you when down by more than have your total health. 4)flying mounts would work the same as ground but also would have all the flying things imposed on them as well and as the mount is caring a person after it gets close to half would have to land (the damage for person and pet would be split between them half and half so the mount would have less health than the player ). i think if this was done it would keep every thing even

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Acaelus Thorne.3862

Acaelus Thorne.3862

Why do people always want to bring things from other MMO that they played to the new. Like most people have said its doesn’t fit the lore so why bother yourself with mounts. What you should be asking is reduce the cost of the waypoint in higher level. Take World of Warcraft for example, I remember it’s became a huge problem when the horde first had paladin and the alliance got shamans. Blizzard had to make up some stupid lore to support the paladins for the horde which to this every day it’s still stupid. Don’t try and force the dev to change the way the game lore is please.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Vanchatron.2306

Vanchatron.2306

Would also like to see this.

/Signed

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: krookie.6378

krookie.6378

I really hate the way mounts are used in most MMOs. They are basically nothing more than glorified “sprint” and go poof when you dismount. I rather not have these types of mounts.

Now if ArenaNet were to add mounted combat, I’d be supporting mounts 100%. Otherwise, I’d rather have faster/longer lasting sprint.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: whenindoubtcheckitout.6453

whenindoubtcheckitout.6453

I am all for mounts! I don’t think many players realize that the concept of a mount is not merely just about functionality, it is also about immersion purposes. I would like to see some npc on a horse strolling along the city.

Even if there are way points, maybe some players might enjoy taking a ride on a mount throughout the game world; I say more options in the way the player can experience the world, well in this case, would be an awesome thing.

I repeat, mounts do not have to be just about usefulness. They can make mounts available just for cosmetic purposes, as it was probably mentioned somewhere in this thread already. They already have items that you can use to transform yourself into a slime thing would it be any different then just transforming the player model riding on a mount instead?

I still like this game, but it would make it soooo much better imo.

(edited by whenindoubtcheckitout.6453)

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: DenRode.1740

DenRode.1740

I’m 100% against the idea of mounts. I personally saw flying mounts destroy another popular, not-to-be-named MMO, and I’d hate for the ball to even get rolling on the whole concept.

Additionally, maps are designed so that walking is pretty manageable, not to mention the waypoints are easy to navigate between. What purpose would mounts serve anyway? They’d just clutter up the environment in my opinion.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yellow Beard Hellfist.2940

Yellow Beard Hellfist.2940

In my opinion it is better to have than not as some want this and others don’t if you do not want a mount no one is saying you have to have one. Just don’t use them problem solved as for implementing them in game see my above post.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

mounts are silly and not very friendly.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cyztidy.3465

Cyztidy.3465

Manoturbo.2571:

I would be so much more satisfied if there were as little waypoints as possible in the game and instead people would have to use mounts to travel around. It would make the world so much bigger and make exploration more enjoyable.

I hate to bring in WoW to this discussion but one thing i loved about old WoW was when in order for a nightelf to get to the human starting zone he’d have to run for several miles and taking two boatrides just to get to the destination and it used to take almost an hour if you didn’t have a mount. Flying mounts ruined this.

Which is why i only support ground mounts that you can unlock at, say lvl 40. Then they could remove several waypoints and in the end they would actually make the world of Tyria seem so much bigger. Not to mention the fact that it would add yet another layer of character progression in the game where you could strive to get your first mount and also be a collector. In my opinion, every mmorpg has to have mounts, Guild Wars 2 needs it badly.

Corpse run says hi. Having to run across the entire map (and deal with whatever you aggro along the way (even worse if it has a snare/kd/stun))just to get back to an event because you died and no one could (or wanted) to res you would be a massive pain in the *. Not to mention it would take far longer to do so than to res at one of the many nearby waypoints (which you want removed).

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mejis.8970

Mejis.8970

I too would love to see mounts, but only ground versions and for prestige, aesthetics and exploration/travel.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Draennon.8576

Draennon.8576

Mounts were never a topic in GW1 (and I mean lore wise, not talking gameplay).

There just havent been any mounts in Guild Wars. At least not that I know off. No NPC here ever uses a mount to travel, they all walk or use portals if one is available. So, why should we do anything else.

About mounted combat: Yeah what a great idea. I wanna see 20 horses or whatever around the mobs, so that you can see NOTHING at all, good plan there. /irony

About immersion: mounts poofing away is not immersive. Having mounts stay around is annoying if they don’t poof away. Having to bring your mount to a stable and get it back from there would be annoying as well.

So besides the fact, that I don’t think (personal oppinion here!) that mounts have a place in the world of Guild Wars, I don’t really see any benefits if they, how many stated here, don’t need to be any faster than you are yourself without mount. They would just be even more sightblocking.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wanko.8103

Wanko.8103

I am all for mounts! I don’t think many players realize that the concept of a mount is not merely just about functionality, it is also about immersion purposes. I would like to see some npc on a horse strolling along the city.

There is no horses in Tyria.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Kiedae.7035

Kiedae.7035

I’ve read through a lot of the responses here and the biggest concern I see have to do with Lore, Horses and what race should ride what. I had a few suggestions regarding this issue.

• Vehicles – The Charr and Asura are both very machine knowledged, I don’t see why they can’t create vehicles for themselves and other races to ride.
  • Norn – I was thinking either a Polar Bear, or forgo a mount completely and have them transform based on their spiritual attunment. Bear would become polar bear, Wolf an Alpine Wolf, Raven would become an Eagle Raptor, and Leopard would become a Snow Leopard.
  • Charr – They could ride Drakes like River or Ice or Red. Also they too could forgo mounts and just Get down on all Four and run. I don’t think this is an issue.. they are giant Cat people, let them run wild!
  • Asure – these folks can Ride their Golems or create Vehicles to drive. If they can Pilot a golem.. they can pilot a vehicle.
  • Human – they are allies of other races, let them purchase Charr and Asura crafted Vehicles or purchase already tamed Drakes and Polar Bears.
  • Sylvari – these are an interesting race and I don’t see why they couldn’t ride on the backs of Giant Fern Hounds.

Just my thoughts on how this could work. I don’t really see why this would be such an issue for so many people. I don’t equate Mounts with people skipping events and ignoring helping people. Some may do it but not all of us, and those that do.. would just run by it anyway.
I don’t see mounts going in the WvW unless you gave them to everybody to keep it balanced. I think as of now you could add mounts in PvE at lvl 80. give people something to work for and not penalize the people at 80 who can’t afford to teleport everywhere because of cost. Crafting mats and Repair costs take a good chunk of our money already, mounts would allow us to go and play with low lvl friends in other zones easier.
Again just my thoughts on this. Take them as you will.
~Gearspark Furbane

Lament of Sorrow [LoS] – Anvil Rock – Zip File / Gearspark Furbane
[ www.lamentofsorrow.com ]

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

Please don’t add mounts they would ruin the game entirely in my opinion. I just cant see it working. Beside we already have tonics that allow you to turn into animals like Dolyaks that’s close enough for my liking in my opinion.

I like to walk everywhere, experience the world. I don’t often use waypoints because they ruin the immersion and mounts will do the same. They disconnect you from the content and that sense of threat/vulnerability when you walk through the world.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Marrond.1385

Marrond.1385

I like to walk everywhere, experience the world. I don’t often use waypoints because they ruin the immersion and mounts will do the same. They disconnect you from the content and that sense of threat/vulnerability when you walk through the world.

So basicaly you don’t want something you infact don’t have to use if you find it breaking your immersion, but you’re not letting people to play way they want because YOU find it wrong (yet you don’t have to use it). I would call this woman’s logic but womans have much more logic.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Tarimos.3479

Tarimos.3479

It would be very great if the creatores would ad mounts in any upcoming patch.
But mounts should be only for lvl 80.
Pls listen guys!

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

not in favor of mounts at all.

If a movement speed is required, just up out of combat sprint speed, and make sure ALL professions have equal access to passive move speed buffs.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: StormcrowX.9236

StormcrowX.9236

hell no, this isn’t world of guildcraft. sides, i dont think i could whirlwind while sitting on a horse. that would just look silly.

You are not one of their “most dedicated players”. Don’t worry, neither am I apparently.
-NaughtyProwler.8653

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ryukai.6524

Ryukai.6524

At level 80 it costs more to travel to the CLOSEST waypoint that the money you recive from a dynamic event o_O Priceing is stupid in this game.

Perasonally I’d prefer mounts over waypoints.

Yes I know mounts are much much ‘slower’ than waypoints, but one of Anets ideas for the game was to get people out and about discovering things, traveling around and comeing across events you may not have seen before, and supposedly enjoying this massive world they have made.

Instead we get insta travel all over the world, compleatly missing out on any events that we would have run across if we had been traveling via mount and a compleat disregared for all the time and effort they have put into making an amazing looking world :/

If it was a choice between way points and mounts, I’d definatly choose mounts. Insta teleport just takes all the fun out of the world :s

And for those that say mounts just make you run past all the good stuff, you don’t get to even SEE the good stuff if you insta teleport past it :s

Also CHARCOPTER!

(edited by Ryukai.6524)

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: TottWriter.8591

TottWriter.8591

In Guild Wars 1, there were environmental, limited mounts which you could ride in certain areas. Those were mounts done right – they had a reason to be there, a reason you couldn’t just take them anywhere, and because you were riding them, your skills changed out to reflect that.

Personally, if we get mounts in GW2 I hope (and sorta expect) for them to be like that. Limited to areas that they make sense, and designed so that it feels as though you are in one, not just running faster. Maybe it’s because I’ve never really played an MMO with mounts, but I really just don’t see the point in them. I had a month in WoW and going into a city to see everyone parked up astride a mount was just… It looked odd, and not something that would fit the cities in GW2 at all.

ArenaNet have gone out of their way to craft a world which looks cohesive and stunning. Personally, I think it should stay that way. Yes, WPs get very expensive, but the answer there will be to tweak the price as a balance, and for players not to get carried away and just WP everywhere when you could run, and be earning a fair amount of gold from an event.

To buy character slots or not to buy character slots. That is the test of my restraint.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

Mounts should allow combat. Either a new bar, or a modified bar consisting of our weapon—like underwater skills, but now we have “when mounted” skills.
Mounts should be simple animals already in-game (Dolyaks and various breeds/models of Dolyaks, the Horses—they are mentioned and undead in GW1 but never seen alive lol, and Golems, Charr machines, and Sylvari plant-things—either large hounds, horses, or another type of Oakheart model)
Mounts can be racial restricted or for all the races. Who cares really, debate can go on forever about that.
Mounts should only “trott” or “gallop” at the same speed as Swiftness buff. This way, it doesn’t ruin any content, and doesn’t allow anyone to complain about them. (we already can maintain 100% Swiftness)

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Yakri.2701

Yakri.2701

100% against mounts ever.

Stupid, superfluous, and the GW team had an excellent explanation for why they didn’t include them, hopefully they’ll stick to it.

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

+1 more for mounts. Arenanet has said to no to flying mounts but never mentioned anything about ground types… plus if they add some mounts into the gem store they will make a big profit, so i dont see why they wouldent, yes there is people who dont want them but by the time mounts are added everyone already would have seen everything in the world and done everything and are just standing somewhere in Lions Arch.. so somewhere like 2 years from now i believe mounts would be added.

Your really asking areanet to make more money from this idea? Thats the kinda greed that pisses many players off in other MMOs. Mounts arnt needed because
1. We have tons of other “bling” to show off
2. Waypoints would just be for the 100% map completion at that point
3. As much as some may “skip” content in zones, mounts ywould just make it super easy. if you’re not supposed to jump to an area thats 5 lvls higher why would areanet help you out? play through the zone and you lvl.

The only thing we NEED is cheaper wp costs like make it by distance not by lvl. teleporting 5 ft away should not cost me any silver.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Mrpopo.4593

Mrpopo.4593

sick of ppl talking about flying mounts OP means ground mounts we all know flying mounts will never happen in this game.
+1 for ground mounts even if they only have 10% movement speed would be a nice touch to having an end game

What about mounts?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zionka.6897

Zionka.6897

Adding my vote for a mount. Nothing flashy, just a sturdy utility steed. I would still use waypoints for long distances, everyone would. But riding a horse, even if it only gives a 10-20% speed buff, would add to the immersion and encourage experiencing the wonderful stuff around us. Hopping from WP to WP takes away from this.

I am all for uniqueness in a mmo, it’s one reason I feel like I have found my “perfect” game. I love it here! But riding horses to me is as standard for a game as combat itself. (UO, EQ2, and LOTRO. No WoW kool-ade for me) It’s the only thing I feel is missing here.

Again, I feel the addition would not stop use of WPs which help keep economy underinflated as money sinks. We are all about convenience. All mounts would do is add another enjoyable thing to game.

No mounted combat, definitely! And none in WvW, none in cities. A stable at the city gates would be kinda cool, but I don’t want to be stepping in horse manure as I go to the bank or taverns.

If a Norn would never ride a horse, make a verson for them as a pack horse. Maybe all horses as a pack animal only, if you are so against a mount. I just want to see horsies!

Make them fat and slow, just make them! /smile

~Jade Quarry Server~

(edited by Zionka.6897)