Where are the community add-ons?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Darsin Callagher.5821

Darsin Callagher.5821

I’m sure this has been asked before.
But i am under the impression that this game is significantly lacking in community added value.

I only played WoW for a short period of time (Brother bought me a month , Yay )
But the amount of quality adding add-ons are insane.

Where is my DPS meter?
Pet finder
Even a levelling guide addition for newer members i’m sure would be welcome.
Copy paste trait set-ups?

I see a huge potential for great input by the community here.
Ofcourse there will have to be some sort of “submission” process so keyloggers and spambots get caught.

The API is a great addition to the outside world.
But unlike me there is still people with only 1 screen out there.

[Zeal][HoD]
Occasional Commander WvW – Henge of Denravi

in Suggestions

Posted by: Galphar.3901

Galphar.3901

Anet doesn’t allow addons and there really isn’t a need for them

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

That’s all nice and dandy. Sometimes decisions need to change based on the community itself.
The fact that Anet doesn’t allow it doesn’t mean they never will.
And no need for them? That’s all relative is it not?

There isn’t really a need for them in WoW either but it certainly makes the gameplay alot more enjoyable.

[Zeal][HoD]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

There are plenty of overlays out there like one at gw2stuff. Uses the apis to let you know when boss fights are going on.

Trait tab functionality is on anets declared to do list.

You don’t really need a leveling guide in this game. Just play is quite easy to stay at the level for your zone and most areas progress in a clear path. As long as you aren’t skipping things, and really new players get into everything they will easily stay at the curve. Plus there are plenty of sites out there to give them more info as they get deeper in the game.

Pet finder not that necessary as a ui addon. In fact type /wiki pets in game and it will take you right to the official wiki that shows all the starter area Pets in an easy chart.

Mostly addons like these are not found by new players is the bets that use them and they already know where the info is both in and out of game

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Posted by: Scrambles.2604

Scrambles.2604

addons would be nice, but honestly i don’t know any games other than WoW that allow them.

it’s no coincidence that some of the most successful games were open to player mods and addons. Blizzard and Valve come to mind first. It creates a better, more interactive community and also saves the company on funds and manpower by letting the community build things for their game for free.

Personally, i would kill for a cooldown timer. On my Ele, it would be nice to know when my cooldowns are up for elements i’m not currently attuned to.

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

I could be wrong going to jump in game and check but pretty sure you can already turn on cooldown timers that apply to the attunments under options

Edit confirmed. Activate show skill recharge under options. It is under general options tab 2 up from camera

(edited by Teraphas.6210)

in Suggestions

Scrambles.2604

I could be wrong going to jump in game and check but pretty sure you can already turn on cooldown timers that apply to the attunments under options

yeah you can.

What i’m saying is when i’m attuned to water, i would like to know how much time i have left on Fire grab. In WoW i had “cooldown bars” which would be a list of all my pending cooldowns with countdown timers. Very handy tool.

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

There are plenty of overlays out there like one at gw2stuff. Uses the apis to let you know when boss fights are going on.

You don’t really need a leveling guide in this game. Just play is quite easy to stay at the level for your zone and most areas progress in a clear path. As long as you aren’t skipping things, and really new players get into everything they will easily stay at the curve. Plus there are plenty of sites out there to give them more info as they get deeper in the game.

i was not aware of the overlay. that is actually quite nice.

Thanks!

As for the leveling guide i wasn’t quite targeting newer players with that.
I for one hate grinding a 2nd character to 80. i have 2 now.
But the story-line doesn’t change so i couldn’t care less how i get there.

Profession guides in game would be nice too.
Perhaps the overlay guy will add these as well.

[Zeal][HoD]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Sawnic.6795

Sawnic.6795

Yeah, anything that directly interacts with the game client is strictly forbidden.

Whatever guild I’m repping today [tag]
Borlis Pass’ official male cheerleader
Commander by title: Sawnec the Mesmer

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

Yeah, anything that directly interacts with the game client is strictly forbidden.

Which is why there would have to be an approval process.

[Zeal][HoD]

in Suggestions

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I am against this simply because it will always be a risk for people to require using certain add-ons. And I for one don’t feel like downloading possibly malicious software to my computer just so that I can do stuff in this game.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

Then don’t? doesn’t mean someone else doesn’t want to?
I understand everyone is responding out of their personal preference but you have to think a little bigger than 1 person.

[Zeal][HoD]

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

What I was saying however was that there is always a risk that groups would require all members to use certain add-ons, which would effect the game negatively, since not everyone want to download un-official stuff.
It could also create quite massive problems for ArenaNet as a company if one of these add-ons did large damage to users (even if they make it clear that they don’t take responsibilities for 3rd party stuff).

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Scrambles.2604

What I was saying however was that there is always a risk that groups would require all members to use certain add-ons, which would effect the game negatively, since not everyone want to download un-official stuff.

Yeah, so lets hold the ability to make/use addons responsible instead of the people that force you to use them. This reminds me of that time that idle gun shot somebody.

in Suggestions

Sawnic.6795

Which is why there would have to be an approval process.

And that is exactly what ANet has already said they will not do.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-3rd-Party-Programs-Multi-Boxing-Macros/first#post354869

in Suggestions

lordkrall.7241

Yeah, so lets hold the ability to make/use addons responsible instead of the people that force you to use them. This reminds me of that time that idle gun shot somebody.

Or simply don’t allow them at all, which would solve the problem without giving ArenaNet the extra workload needed to check and accept/deny every single add-on people do.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

in Suggestions

Scrambles.2604

Or simply don’t allow them at all, which would solve the problem without giving ArenaNet the extra workload needed to check and accept/deny every single add-on people do.

Solve the problem? The problem you just invented, that addons would be mandated if anet allowed people to make addons? I mean, you could say the same thing about TS/mumble, but Anet hasn’t banned people for using that.

I get what you are saying. It’s just like in WoW, where if you raided you had to have an array of addons to participate. Only that’s just what you hear parroted on the internet.

The reality is, every group is different. My WoW guild didn’t care what addons you ran as long as you kept up. But if you are even at the point where you are participating at a level where addons are beneficial, chances you are invested enough to understand the advantages of using the addons.

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

As shown you can create many overlays using the APIs . If you need more examples look at the overwolf program that’s in ts3 now.

So what that you can’t edit the ui itself.

Oh and Darin there is a guide overlay in overwolf no idea if it’s good but it’s there

in Suggestions

Posted by: iniside.4736

iniside.4736

There isn’t really a need for them in WoW either but it certainly makes the gameplay alot more enjoyable.

You mean addons complety destryoed gameplay and each encounter must be designed in a way, that assume you have certain addons.

No addons. Thanks.

I’m up for cosmetics addon’s that alter positions or look of UI elements. But anything that directly add new functionality should be forbiden.

in Suggestions

Posted by: edrickdebane.9134

edrickdebane.9134

Here is a question for a API programming player out there.

The question Darsin asked about his cool down timer on this other elemental abilitys…..is that something you can get info from using the API and if so you could them make an overlay.????

in Suggestions

Sawnic.6795

The question Darsin asked about his cool down timer on this other elemental abilitys…..is that something you can get info from using the API and if so you could them make an overlay.????

No.

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

You mean addons complety destryoed gameplay and each encounter must be designed in a way, that assume you have certain addons.

No addons. Thanks.

I’m up for cosmetics addon’s that alter positions or look of UI elements. But anything that directly add new functionality should be forbiden.

I think you’re going to quite an extreme here.
In WoW there is just alot of possibilities against what you can write an add-on.
They could just not expose some of their “API” in game so that they could only have certain add-ons work.

For example.
An autobuy add-on (NOT A GOOD IDEA)
An Aggro calculator for a group in a dungeon (pretty kitten necessary)
A in game leveling guide for people that have already levelled 2+ 80’s (I’d like it)
A add-on that will auto attack probably not going to be implemented.

The only real risk here is user security.
To be fair that would have to be up to the user if Anet says they can’t spend cycles or hire an actual team to validate these things.

My thought is that they are missing out on great user content and possibly a richer gaming environment and community.
But hey what do i know.

[Zeal][HoD]

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

The API is fully outside the game it’s static.
I am currently looking into this.
I think the most you can do is look at Events being active or not on a certain world.
There is no such thing as personal skills or countdown timers.

[Zeal][HoD]

in Suggestions

iniside.4736

No addons. Thanks.

An Aggro calculator for a group in a dungeon (pretty kitten necessary)

Yeah. Nessesary if you want to dumb game into oblivion. I played WoW before there were aggro metters. And we were doing just fine. Hell I played it before there were dps metters. For me Wow died when there started to popup addons that make my UI looked like excel chart and essentialy started to play my game for me…

Addons in MMO are evil. Your interface is as much as gameplay as what are you doing on screen.
While I love modding, I strongly believe that multiplayer games should be closed if everyone endup playing in single environment.
If I can make my own server, the I don’t care what mods people are using on other servers as long as they use things thta I allow on my server.

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

No offense but the interface of GW2 is severely lacking.
Modification and or additon / removal.

[Zeal][HoD]

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

As for an aggro meter it is actually pretty useless seeing as there are various aggro models eithin game. Some attack who is hitting them the most. Others target the weakest. Some lock on and don’t stop till the target is dead.

I have seen one in Orr lock on my wife and not switch targets despite 30+ guildies beating on it and her doing nothing but run around kiting it.

I am sure there are others but these I have witnessed

in Suggestions

iniside.4736

It doesn’t lack anything. It’s perfectly playable. Only thing that is missing is ability to move toolbars around and other UI elements.

in Suggestions

Darsin Callagher.5821

It doesn’t lack anything. It’s perfectly playable. Only thing that is missing is ability to move toolbars around and other UI elements.

That is your opinion not a fact my dear friend.

As for an aggro meter it is actually pretty useless seeing as there are various aggro models eithin game. Some attack who is hitting them the most. Others target the weakest. Some lock on and don’t stop till the target is dead.

I have seen one in Orr lock on my wife and not switch targets despite 30+ guildies beating on it and her doing nothing but run around kiting it.

I have seen this to. But personally i think that’s an issue with how aggro works.
They should fix that so tanks can actually tank.

[Zeal][HoD]

(edited by Darsin Callagher.5821)

in Suggestions

iniside.4736

So is your claim that UI is lacking something.

As I said. UI is part of gameplay. And gameplay was designed with certain UI in mind. solely of that reason there won’t be any addons that may affect gameplay. That statment was very clear. It’s pointless to post these thread, ebcause AN will never add support for addons. Just leave it.

[quote=2988507;Darsin Callagher.5821:]

in Suggestions

Teraphas.6210

I have seen this to. But personally i think that’s an issue with how aggro works.
They should fix that so tanks can actually tank.

Except the game is designed for you not to tank. You shouldn’t be standing there letting the enemy pound away on you. You should be moving in and out using hit and run tactics. I personally enjoy the variety of aggro patterns. Makes life more interesting and fun. Just because you want the game to play differently won’t make it so.

There are plenty of APIs sorry they don’t do everything you think they should do. And as the new patch write up talks about there are ui things coming. They have also stated thatcombat log rework Iis on the List.

Your time would probably be better spent asking for more api types than open ui modding