WvW, Disconnects, and Grace Period

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dand.8231

Dand.8231

TL;DR – Please allow disconnected players to remain, and rejoin WvW for up to 10 minutes after their disconnect!!

Alright, I’ve really had it tonight. I waited in the WvW queue for nearly an hour, before I FINALLY got in. Fine, it’s busy, I get it.

About 10 minutes in, I get a disconnect. I rejoin GW2 within a few minutes. Not in WvW any longer.

I’ve been sitting in the Queue for ANOTHER hour now and still cant get in.

It’s insane, that we have no “grace period” for reconnecting and remaining in WvW. We instead have to re-queue and wait ALL over again!

in Suggestions

Dand.8231

PS: An interesting addition would be an Estimated Wait Time.

Or an indication of how many people are in the Queue in front of you.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zorby.8236

Zorby.8236

Queue improvements are being looked at. The problem is that queues don’t exactly work like queues anyway. I queued once, then a friend queued after, guess who got access 1st? I agree on a grace period though.

~This is the internet, my (or your) opinion doesn’t matter~

in Suggestions

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

TL;DR – Please allow disconnected players to remain, and rejoin WvW for up to 10 minutes after their disconnect!!

Alright, I’ve really had it tonight. I waited in the WvW queue for nearly an hour, before I FINALLY got in. Fine, it’s busy, I get it.

About 10 minutes in, I get a disconnect. I rejoin GW2 within a few minutes. Not in WvW any longer.

I’ve been sitting in the Queue for ANOTHER hour now and still cant get in.

It’s insane, that we have no “grace period” for reconnecting and remaining in WvW. We instead have to re-queue and wait ALL over again!

I think this is a horrible horrible idea. How would the system, know if your ISP didn’t act up or if you simply shut down GW2? What if your PC had issues and you are out to fix them. There are very very many reasons that you would DC that have nothing to do with Anet, and because it inconvenienced you one night, you expect all of the rest of use to suffer 10 minutes longer in queue for every player that is in WvW. That is preposterous. If I am 10th on the list in queue and the 10 ahead of me only leave one at a time, your idea could potentially add over an hour and a half to my queue.

Never ceases to amaze me how players post ideas that totally hose everyone else, simply because they had an inconvenient evening, which in your case may very likely have been short, temporary loss of service from your ISP. It may prove wiser to take your issue with them, rather then attempt to convince Anet to hose the rest of us.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

People in various games have been known to pull the plug on their internet cable to take advantage of such systems and avoid ingame disadvantages.

Stuck in combat and your location is about to fall and be overrun? Pull the cable and get dumped out to deny spikes then just log back in and hop back to spawn? Yeah it would happen to deny spikes.

Besides any systems like this will take longer than getting edge of the mists Live.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Suggestions

Posted by: Magische Boek.2530

Magische Boek.2530

just wait for edge of the mists i gues

I’m not arguing!
I’m simply explaining why I’m right.

in Suggestions

Dand.8231

I think this is a horrible horrible idea. How would the system, know if your ISP didn’t act up or if you simply shut down GW2? What if your PC had issues and you are out to fix them. There are very very many reasons that you would DC that have nothing to do with Anet, and because it inconvenienced you one night, you expect all of the rest of use to suffer 10 minutes longer in queue for every player that is in WvW. That is preposterous. If I am 10th on the list in queue and the 10 ahead of me only leave one at a time, your idea could potentially add over an hour and a half to my queue.

Never ceases to amaze me how players post ideas that totally hose everyone else, simply because they had an inconvenient evening, which in your case may very likely have been short, temporary loss of service from your ISP. It may prove wiser to take your issue with them, rather then attempt to convince Anet to hose the rest of us.

Based on your reply, I think you greatly misunderstood how my idea functions.

First off, as this is a suggestion, 10 minutes as a grace period is a fairly arbitrary number, that I pulled out of a hat. It is in no way set in stone.

Secondly, I seriously doubt people disconnect very often WITHOUT the intent to return immediately. I imagine that in 95% of cases, they log right back in. Only a tiny portion would be unable to return due to prolonged ISP outage, technical difficulties, etc… therefore this would NOT affect your Queue times compared to if they’d never disconnected to begin with.

Thus, it does not “hose” anyone, In fact, it PREVENTS people from being hosed. Currently, there are plenty of reasons to disconnect. Some are due to ANet but it’s obviously not the only cause.

Just as likely are fault ISP’ and even good ol BSOD’s. In fact, I even suspect my own disconnect was an ISP issue, and not ANets fault directly. Why I am upset, however, is because a 15 second ISP hiccup can cost me an hour of Queue time.

Think of a torrent file, or a bunch of streamed video from netflix, or a huge download for work. Lets say it takes an hour to download…. but you get interrupted at the 55 minute mark? In all cases, the file will typically resume shortly after the connection is re-established, because it’s absurd to restart from scratch for such a minute disconnect.

People in various games have been known to pull the plug on their internet cable to take advantage of such systems and avoid ingame disadvantages.

Stuck in combat and your location is about to fall and be overrun? Pull the cable and get dumped out to deny spikes then just log back in and hop back to spawn? Yeah it would happen to deny spikes.

Besides any systems like this will take longer than getting edge of the mists Live.

This is easily prevented with a little common sense.

If you are disconnected, your avatar remains exactly where he is for the duration of the grace period, with a disconnect symbol next to his name. Thus it wont save you from a spike, or from being overrun, or grant you any other special ability. It’d essentially be the same as if you went “AFK.”