thieves must de-cloak to spike

in Suggestions

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

The title say’s it all, “thieves must de-cloak to spike” Anything else is just plain cowardly. Why this mechanic isn’t in the game, I have no idea.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

Uh what? If you mean come out of stealth, that already happens when the thief does any kind of direct damage, spike or not.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

in Suggestions

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

The title say’s it all, “thieves must de-cloak to spike” Anything else is just plain cowardly. Why this mechanic isn’t in the game, I have no idea.

It’s not in the game for the simple reason that their spike damage skills are only available when stealthed, and they instantly destealth upon using them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing that it wouldn’t be a good idea to force them out of stealth to use their spike skills but, they use them in stealth because it’s how the mechanic was built and it’s conceptually logical.

If you sneak up behind someone and stabbed them in the back before anyone saw you you’d have an upper advantage and likely hit a vital spot. The same applies to Thief’s stealth abilities, they surprise attack you while unseen, able to slip their blade into a vital spot before you can put up a defense.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Dasorine.1964

Dasorine.1964

Add to that if their spike didn’t kill you they are then the easiest target in the game to kill unless your forgetful.

Doing it the other way would mean you might actually have to give thieves an actual defense.

in Suggestions

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

I’d rather see memser’s have to kill all clones before they can use a skill. How is it fair they can remove targeting over and over and get no ridicule but thieves.. oh man…

Leave thieves alone already, they have more than enough nerfs that they are already falling off their pedestal in pvp

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Suggestions

DeWolfe.2174

No not burst skills, I’m referring to finishing a target in WvW Doing it in stealth is cowardly bull kitten. Man up!

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Dasorine.1964

ahh you mean stomping, in which case everyone else needs to loose THEIR “cowardly” stomp option, so no stability, invulnerability, mist form etc etc stomps if the thief looses theirs.

Yes I am aware that thief tends to to get more access to stealth than the others do to there options but at the same time theirs is the most vulnerable giving no actual protection should people know they are there.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

No not burst skills, I’m referring to finishing a target in WvW Doing it in stealth is cowardly bull kitten. Man up!

Excuse me?

Every other class has access to invulnerabilities or stability to stomp. Heck, even without stealth, Blind is still there. And getting Blind on you is as simple as using Black Powder, Infiltrator’s Arrow, Signet of Shadows, Smoke Screen, Blinding Powder, or Cloaked in Shadows.

And besides, stealth stomping isn’t actually that relevant. If you’re alone and you face pretty much anyone and you get downed, you’re done either way. If you’re in a group and you get downed, the group can use AoEs to deal with the thief. Knockbacks, knockdowns, stuns, dazes.

You have to realize that a Thief who is both stealthed AND stomping is going to be sitting in a known location for the full 3 seconds. The only person who is at a disadvantage is the downed person. And that falls into the two cases I described above.

in Suggestions

DeWolfe.2174

And the person in the down position trying to fight for his life isn’t relevant?

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in Suggestions

Dasorine.1964

The person in the down position has already lost, them surviving generally comes down to the actions of their team mates rather than themselves, they might be able to pick themselves up but its not meant to be a guaranteed thing and its also made much harder by any of the mentioned methods that stop any chance of the downed person being able to delay the stomp, stealth being the weakest option other than a repeated blind application due to the way certain peoples skills work and the total lack of it preventing most hits and skills landing.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

And the person in the down position trying to fight for his life isn’t relevant?

There is exactly one situation where it’s relevant. When you get downed and your enemy is barely alive. But even these situations almost always end with the alive party just kiting out of range to heal up or using an invulnerability.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

There is a point where you must admit defeat. I main a mesmer and I HATE it when they stealth too because I can’t use #2 to deny the first spike. Still, I feel it’s fair. If they got me on the ground then there’s little I can do to stop them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

Considering the Thief’s role and playstyle, I honestly think they should be better at stomping than they already are.
Thieves are pure active defense. No Health, no Armor, no Boons. All they have to stay alive is Stealth, Blinds and Dodges. Most active defenses become drastically less effective during that long stomp animation, and it isn’t uncommon to straight-up DIE while trying to stomp another player as a Thief.
On top of that, Thieves are all about dealing quick damage, getting in and getting out. That means jack if the enemy can just rally right after, which is often the case.
Even the oh so infamous glass cannon backstab Thief can’t do much against more than a single enemy. Because even if you down one of them in half a second the other will just flatten you if you stick around to stomp, or rally their partner back up if you don’t.

On the other hand, the current style is pretty Thiefy. You just have to combine stealth with misdirection so the enemy doesn’t KNOW you’re stomping. At the very least, a nerf would certainly be out of line.

(edited by Grimwolf.7163)

in Suggestions

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

This is still a problem. I’ve used AoE’s near a downed player, cleaved like crazy, but Thief stomped ‘em anyway. What Do? I can’t interrupt what I can’t see.

in Suggestions

Posted by: GuardianOMS.8067

GuardianOMS.8067

Thieves are pure active defense. No Health, no Armor, no Boons. All they have to stay alive is Stealth, Blinds and Dodges.

Wow. You really must not know a lot about thieves. Thieves do have health, armor, and boons. It depends on the build. You can’t say “all they have is stealth” when 100% damage mitigation is one of the best abilities to have in this game.

Sgt Killjoy – “Pedantic” “babe” and “bff” of Saiyr
The devs don’t care about WvW so I’m gonna kill players in PvE!

in Suggestions

Posted by: Hitman.5829

Hitman.5829

It’s not in the game for the simple reason that their spike damage skills are only available when stealthed, and they instantly destealth upon using them. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not arguing that it wouldn’t be a good idea to force them out of stealth to use their spike skills but, they use them in stealth because it’s how the mechanic was built and it’s conceptually logical.

If you sneak up behind someone and stabbed them in the back before anyone saw you you’d have an upper advantage and likely hit a vital spot. The same applies to Thief’s stealth abilities, they surprise attack you while unseen, able to slip their blade into a vital spot before you can put up a defense.

But in order to sneak behind someone they need to move really slow so that the victim does not notice… However, in this game, the thief travels at the speed of light even when it is stealth.

In all mmorpg games I have play, the stealth class MUST lose movement speed on stealth or else the class becomes overpowered.