Giant Gift:The holder of the Legendary Bell

in Wintersday

Posted by: Vanthian.9267

Vanthian.9267

I will start with the usual, “I loved guild wars 1. I logged in more than 2k hours, blah blah blah, but…” on to the post.

The amount of gifts required to get that unbreakable bell must be ungodly. On a statistical bell curve I should have had 2 by now if they have a 0.01% chance to drop. The RNG is killing this game and at this point I am surprised anyone is still left. This is absolutely ridiculous. If you are wondering about what did drop…. attached is a screen shot of all that I got excluding the sweaters. Those I used to buy more giant gifts. In total I used around 3k (maybe 3.2k due to sweaters) gifts. I more than likely won’t be able to bring myself to play any more of RNG Wars 2. So much for skill being the number one thing required in this game. It seems the longer the game is out the more and more it will slip away from what was stated this game was about.

Yes, call me a qqer and complainer and whatever else you want. The fact stands: they are adding new gear and more than likely will have to for a expansion since they are increasing the level cap. The RNG is here to stay and will be king of RNG Wars 2.

Side Note: It would have made more sense to have the bell as reward for getting 100% on all parts (upper, middle, & lower) of the mini bell choir game (not just the lower part), but I assume that goes against their new philosophy.

Side Note 2: What seems to drop with 140% magic find:
(60% from armor + 50% booster + 30% food)

2461 Ugly Wool Sweaters
25 Drops of Magic Glue (in drops of 25)
50 Wads of Enchanted Stuffing (in Wads of 25)
476 Flawless Snowflake (either 1 or in groups of 10)
1 Bell Focus Skin
1 Wooden Dagger Skin
3 Pop Gun Skin
5 Toy Sword Skin
4 Toy Staff Skin
2 Slingshot Skin
5 Princess Wand Skin
16 Giver’s Orichalcum Imbued Inscription
12 Giver’s Intricate Glossamer Insignia
33 Choir Bells (in bundles of 3)
AND SUPPOSEDLY Unbreakable Choir Bell

Attachments:

in Wintersday

Posted by: Tsubaki.2508

Tsubaki.2508

Yep, pretty much my experience also, opened well over 4000 boxes. But the bell is awesome.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Stormleaf.1769

Stormleaf.1769

You could have sold that many gifts for almost enough to simply buy the bell with gold off the TP. Maybe do a bit of research before sinking everything into a gamble and then calling the game a failure because you didn’t get what you want (despite the fact that a guaranteed method of obtaining it was right in front of you).

Sorry you didn’t get it, either way =(

in Wintersday

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

I’d love to have gotten those skins! No idea what I have to do with that bell though…

in Wintersday

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I’d love to have gotten those skins! No idea what I have to do with that bell though…

The skins are much cheaper from the Trading Post. The Unbreakable Bell you can get from opening Giant Wintersday Gift.

in Wintersday

Posted by: lilcoffeebean.3149

lilcoffeebean.3149

RNG’s are a staple of the mmo genre tbh, but I do agree sometimes GW2 takes this seemingly farther than others games. Not that I think they should completely get rid of the RNG, cause I don’t. Like almost every game that uses it though, I’ve always felt there should be a way to get an item after X amount of tries, for when the luck is really working against you.

As far as magic find, it would not affect presents anymore than it affects chests. Magic find only works in calculations when a mob dies.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion.
Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who.
Lilcoffeebean~Yak’s Bend~Perfect Dark [PD]

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

RNG’s are a staple of the mmo genre tbh, but I do agree sometimes GW2 takes this seemingly farther than others games. Not that I think they should completely get rid of the RNG, cause I don’t. Like almost every game that uses it though, I’ve always felt there should be a way to get an item after X amount of tries, for when the luck is really working against you.

As far as magic find, it would not affect presents anymore than it affects chests. Magic find only works in calculations when a mob dies.

Didn’t know magic find only affected mobs, but it never hurts to try with it anyway.

edit:

Would like to add that I should have bought it off the Trading Post after noticing the Mini’s were elusive. It is very disheartening to see them diverge from skill based progression to random hat wins all.

All in all, this is more enjoyable than the Halloween event by at least 100 fold, but I will say I feel as if this RNG for the Bell is much, much worse than it needs to be (or ought to be rather).

(edited by Vanthian.9267)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Yami.2613

Yami.2613

I will start with the usual, “I loved guild wars 1. I logged in more than 2k hours, blah blah blah, but…” on to the post.

The amount of gifts required to get that unbreakable bell must be ungodly. On a statistical bell curve I should have had 2 by now if they have a 0.01% chance to drop. The RNG is killing this game and at this point I am surprised anyone is still left. This is absolutely ridiculous. If you are wondering about what did drop…. attached is a screen shot of all that I got excluding the sweaters. Those I used to buy more giant gifts. In total I used around 3k (maybe 3.2k due to sweaters) gifts. I more than likely won’t be able to bring myself to play any more of RNG Wars 2. So much for skill being the number one thing required in this game. It seems the longer the game is out the more and more it will slip away from what was stated this game was about.

Yes, call me a qqer and complainer and whatever else you want. The fact stands: they are adding new gear and more than likely will have to for a expansion since they are increasing the level cap. The RNG is here to stay and will be king of RNG Wars 2.

Side Note: It would have made more sense to have the bell as reward for getting 100% on all parts (upper, middle, & lower) of the mini bell choir game (not just the lower part), but I assume that goes against their new philosophy.

2461 Ugly Wool Sweaters
1 Bell Focus Skin
1 Wooden Dagger Skin
3 Pop Gun Skin
5 Toy Sword Skin
4 Toy Staff Skin
2 Slingshot Skin
5 Princess Wand Skin

My Magic find from gear is 108% Then buff and food.
Yes the drop rates might suck sometimes but it makes finding something feel cooler.

Whats wrong with your helm looks photoshoped.

Where did you get all these gifts?

And when Did anyone say they would raise the level cap?

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

2461 Ugly Wool Sweaters
1 Bell Focus Skin
1 Wooden Dagger Skin
3 Pop Gun Skin
5 Toy Sword Skin
4 Toy Staff Skin
2 Slingshot Skin
5 Princess Wand Skin

My Magic find from gear is 108% Then buff and food.
Yes the drop rates might suck sometimes but it makes finding something feel cooler.

Whats wrong with your helm looks photoshoped.

Where did you get all these gifts?

And when Did anyone say they would raise the level cap?

The helm is the tier two human culture set and is most likely at a wired angle (it is pitch dye which for some reason on this armor set makes a very wired glow in most places).

Most I farmed in the jumping puzzle. Others I bought off the Trading Post (you see what gold I have left).

It was in a post regarding Ascended gear and progressing the game. They said they left it open so they could add new gear and increase the cap at expansion time. I will try to find a link for you and edit it in when I do.

Edit:

Last year Colin Johanson the lead content designer of GW2 said this.
“Q: What of the level cap? Have you guys decided whether you’re going to be increasing the level cap in future expansions?
Colin: Yeah. The level cap will be 80 on the initial release of the game, and we absolutely would increase it further into the game, probably through expansions is the most likely place we would do that."

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Will-the-level-cap-rise-Will-our-gear-become-out-dated

Also a game interview:

http://www.gamefront.com/guild-wars-2-level-cap-raise-confirmed-for-future/

(edited by Vanthian.9267)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nhalx.9735

Nhalx.9735

2461 Ugly Wool Sweaters
1 Bell Focus Skin
1 Wooden Dagger Skin
3 Pop Gun Skin
5 Toy Sword Skin
4 Toy Staff Skin
2 Slingshot Skin
5 Princess Wand Skin

Wow your character looks amazing. =(

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

2461 Ugly Wool Sweaters
1 Bell Focus Skin
1 Wooden Dagger Skin
3 Pop Gun Skin
5 Toy Sword Skin
4 Toy Staff Skin
2 Slingshot Skin
5 Princess Wand Skin

Wow your character looks amazing. =(

Thank you.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Neishi.5309

Neishi.5309

Wow that’s a lot of boxes. x.x Is it possible to get the Unbreakable Choir Bell from the personalized gifts received from the bell game?

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

Wow that’s a lot of boxes. x.x Is it possible to get the Unbreakable Choir Bell from the personalized gifts received from the bell game?

I have heard tells of people getting them from the personalized boxes as well. So in short, yes.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Neishi.5309

Neishi.5309

I have heard tells of people getting them from the personalized boxes as well. So in short, yes.

I guess I’ll be doing a lot of bell playing, then. I can’t for the life of me do the jumping puzzle (a combination of lack of skill and a slow-reacting computer). I’m sorry after all that you never managed to get one, or the two you should have by all right received. :c

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

I guess I’ll be doing a lot of bell playing, then. I can’t for the life of me do the jumping puzzle (a combination of lack of skill and a slow-reacting computer). I’m sorry after all that you never managed to get one, or the two you should have by all right received. :c

I also farmed the bell choir mini game for a while for personalized at first. To be honest, that one did not feel like farming because it is so much fun. I do have to say Lower is by far the easier part. Upper has one hard part to it, but middle… middle is a beast (at least in my opinion/for me). Best of luck to you and my the RNG Tyria God smile on you.

in Wintersday

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

but just to ask, the skin bought for socks etc by the christmas vendor have a limited duration?
there is a bell also if i remember correctly.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

but just to ask, the skin bought for socks etc by the christmas vendor have a limited duration?

The bell you are talking about is a commensurable version of what I was after. It last for around 1-3 minutes then ends. I believe the skins are permanent, but I could be wrong as I have not read anywhere that they are.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Clifford.4913

Clifford.4913

I got mine (on a lvl 30 char with no MF) from a giant gift box…probably about the 100th or so gift I opened. Didn’t know what it was for, went to the TP and saw it being listed at 67g and got a shock! Naturally, I sold it to get some much needed gold.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

If you dont want to play the RNG,

Buy it off the Trading Post

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

in Wintersday

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Was gonna scroll til I didn’t see it and post it myself, or quote it. Don’t like RNG? Buy it. Heck, they fixed the whole weapon skin debacle where we got “rental” weapons. Give em time as well. ArenaNet have said myriad times they are a very iterative company. They will tweak their methods from now til the game goes dark. Quitting a game because of gambling on an item that you can buy seems drastic.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

(edited by Iason Evan.3806)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Neutro.3079

Neutro.3079

That’s the thing OP should have made first.

You want something? Buy it from the TP! As people alread said, you could have sold all your gift without opening them and get a lot of money for buying the bell.

But instead you chose to gamble and open them. You get unlucky, that’s sometimes what happens when you gamble. Then you felt frustrated and came here to make this post. But you knew this could be a possibility before you opened the gift. Maybe you won’t do the same thing next time!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

…. Guess I’ll have to give up on getting one of those unbreakable bells… So far got 3 one-time use bells. :c

in Wintersday

Posted by: Unknown.5816

Unknown.5816

After reading this post I went and bought over 700 gifts from the TP. I knew that I would probably waste that gold but I wanted to take a chance. Well, I got really lucky and got the unbreakable bell

in Wintersday

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

I’m fine with special rewards having a very low dropchance. Makes it feel more rewarding and make you more happy about your drop when it does drop.
Also in many games where they changed from RNG with character bound stuffs to time investment based, everybody with the required time to acquire the shinies has the exact same stuffs cosmetic or not which makes it boring and nothing stand out or special.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Darkmind.7516

Darkmind.7516

Opened about 4k myself and 0 perm items lol

in Wintersday

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Reward for 100%ing bell game? That would be hard as hell too but I’d be there trying nonstop if it were so. XD

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Wintersday

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

Well at least you are getting other items out of the giant version presents. All I keep getting is a single wool sweater…

Does MF affect the drops? And is it better to wait till I get a bunch and open them all at once, or just open them as I get them?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

(edited by skullmount.1758)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Taikanaru.5746

Taikanaru.5746

If the bell was a reward for 100% in the bell game I would have several of them by now. Sigh.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Nevermore.5487

Nevermore.5487

What is unbreakable bell?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Glektor.2934

Glektor.2934

I must agree that the RNG system in this game feels WAY worse than any other game I’ve played. It feels like everything has like 0.00000001% chance to appear in this game.

But, at least you can buy it, like others have said. So, at least there’s some kind of alternative to getting shafted by RNG the entire time and never getting it at all.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

What is unbreakable bell?

Something rare, beautiful and elusive. Like Bigfoot.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I don’t like RNG and completely sympathize with you, but your claim that it’s going to kill the game is ridiculous exaggeration and weakens your argument.

I remember watching my brother kill an elite mob in WoW that spawned once an hour, over and over and over again. He was trying to get a super rare mount that it dropped. I looked up the drop rate percentage and calculated for him how many times he would have to kill that thing to get the rare mount under the worst circumstances, it was 137000. At a spawn rate of once an hour, he could spend the next fifteen years trying to get it.

If RNG could kill a game, some of the most popular games of all time would have been stillborn.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Malvagite.3254

Malvagite.3254

If RNG could kill a game, some of the most popular games of all time would have been stillborn.

The problem with that argument is that times have changed and the players of the genre have also changed.

RNG to the extreme is no longer acceptable.

When everquest 1 came out it was devoured by a hungry playerbase and well loved. If it came out tomorrow, instead of 10 years ago….it would flop. People wont put up with such things now.

in Wintersday

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I more than likely won’t be able to bring myself to play any more of RNG Wars 2.

Yes, call me a qqer and complainer and whatever else you want.

Well sir, since you requested it…you are QQIng and a whiner. Since that really is the fact of the matter here.

You say you played GW1 and logged thousands of hours…if that’s true, then you know about the Jingle Bear mini. That infamous mini that was a staple of Wintersday events that literally stole thousands of hours of life across all players and outside the internet very very few people ever actually seen one. It was one of the rarest items in the game with a 0.02% drop rate. So rare in fact, that even Gaile Gray didn’t know it existed.

From the beginning of Wintersday to the end people would repeat that event over and over and over in hopes of getting one and selling it for untold wealth.

So yeah, your piddly little three days farming up and opening some presents for a rare Wintersday item garners no sympathy from me. This is the Legacy of the Jingle Bear mini.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

in Wintersday

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

Which gifts are confirmed to have this perm. bell?

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

To all the replies saying, “Just buy it”. This post was in regards to the drop rate of the bell not in methods to acquire it. I am not complaining because I can not “get” one. I am complaining because the RNG is taken to the extreme recently in this game. It is a continuing and growing trend.

Just take a look at the method they used for mini’s this time around. It is a slap in the face of all collectors out there. They knew certain kinds of people love to collect them so they pilled on the RNG train to get them.

Secondly, the RNG method of acquiring the items is in no way making them more money. The more RNG they add the less and less people will buy. Taking a quick look at the forum will show this. If they had been flat priced mini’s I am sure more people would have bought them than people who gambled for them (but that is speculation). The more RNG they add the more the original Guild Wars base will become increasing frustrated with the direction they are taking.

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

Which gifts are confirmed to have this perm. bell?

Giant gifts are the ones I have heard it dropping form the most, but I have also heard it drops from the Personalized as well.

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

I more than likely won’t be able to bring myself to play any more of RNG Wars 2.

Yes, call me a qqer and complainer and whatever else you want.

Well sir, since you requested it…you are QQIng and a whiner. Since that really is the fact of the matter here.

You say you played GW1 and logged thousands of hours…if that’s true, then you know about the Jingle Bear mini. That infamous mini that was a staple of Wintersday events that literally stole thousands of hours of life across all players and outside the internet very very few people ever actually seen one. It was one of the rarest items in the game with a 0.02% drop rate. So rare in fact, that even Gaile Gray didn’t know it existed.

From the beginning of Wintersday to the end people would repeat that event over and over and over in hopes of getting one and selling it for untold wealth.

So yeah, your piddly little three days farming up and opening some presents for a rare Wintersday item garners no sympathy from me. This is the Legacy of the Jingle Bear mini.

Comparing a simi rare item to a ultra rare item is not a very good bases. Yes, the mini wintersday bear was extremely hard to get and rightfully so, but I am not talking about a super ultra mega lighting charr figurine here. I am asking about a choir bell that in all intents and purposes should have dropped out of 3k+ gifts.

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

Does MF affect the drops? And is it better to wait till I get a bunch and open them all at once, or just open them as I get them?

Early in the post someone stated that magic find has no effect on gifts or chest, only rolls for mob loot. As to whether you wait or use them when you get them… I usually wait until I have ample supply, but I have no findings as to whether it helps.

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

After reading this post I went and bought over 700 gifts from the TP. I knew that I would probably waste that gold but I wanted to take a chance. Well, I got really lucky and got the unbreakable bell

Congratulations, your luck is much better than mine. Enjoy it!

in Wintersday

Vanthian.9267

I got mine (on a lvl 30 char with no MF) from a giant gift box…probably about the 100th or so gift I opened. Didn’t know what it was for, went to the TP and saw it being listed at 67g and got a shock! Naturally, I sold it to get some much needed gold.

Congratulations. Hopefully you will have such luck with other things as well!

in Wintersday

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

To all the replies saying, “Just buy it”. This post was in regards to the drop rate of the bell not in methods to acquire it. I am not complaining because I can not “get” one. I am complaining because the RNG is taken to the extreme recently in this game. It is a continuing and growing trend.

Just take a look at the method they used for mini’s this time around. It is a slap in the face of all collectors out there. They knew certain kinds of people love to collect them so they pilled on the RNG train to get them.

Secondly, the RNG method of acquiring the items is in no way making them more money. The more RNG they add the less and less people will buy. Taking a quick look at the forum will show this. If they had been flat priced mini’s I am sure more people would have bought them than people who gambled for them (but that is speculation). The more RNG they add the more the original Guild Wars base will become increasing frustrated with the direction they are taking.

As a collector i can relate to this. And I can also relate to never ever going to buy any of their “seasonal kitten my-wallet chests”. At halloween we could buy the minis. I’d do that again.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

in Wintersday

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I too wish the bell was a reward for getting 600 on all bell choir parts. It makes more sense than this random business.

in Wintersday

Posted by: AnthonyOrdon

AnthonyOrdon

Game Designer

The small, medium, large, giant, and personalized gift boxes all have an equal chance of dropping the endless tonic and the unbreakable bell. In fact, all of the boxes (excluding MTX) drop very similar things at very similar rates. The only reason there are different ones is largely related to crafting, so that lower level players can find and craft level-appropriate stuff from recipes and components.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Whatsinaname.8257

Whatsinaname.8257

If the bell was in the gem store by itself, I would’ve bought it right on the first day. I’m not buying gamble boxes.

Currently farming the JP for boxes. 350 so far with no luck, so I see I’ll be here all week.

Anet, I’m enjoying this holiday so much, except for this. Why?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sneth.6981

Sneth.6981

They have similar drop rates? wtf
What is even the point really.
I went through 2000 giant and didnt get any glue or stuffing. just the other garbage

in Wintersday

Posted by: Euler.3259

Euler.3259

Yea, until this game manages to get the rewards on events right, I’m just doing the ‘get the achievement, then play something rewarding’ thing. Everything in this game is so incomprehensibly out of reach I don’t even want to try. Sure the journey of a 1000 miles starts with a single step. But why is it a 1000 miles before I get anything?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

i agree the bell should of been given to those who score 600 in the Music Minigame, and be Account-bound to prevent any trading of it.

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

The bell you are talking about is a commensurable version of what I was after. It last for around 1-3 minutes then ends. I believe the skins are permanent, but I could be wrong as I have not read anywhere that they are.

They are permanent. Any talk of them being “temp” is people mixing them up with the fact you could rent scaling level fakes of the Halloween mini-legendary weapons (and those were full weapons, not skins)

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Was gonna scroll til I didn’t see it and post it myself, or quote it. Don’t like RNG? Buy it. Heck, they fixed the whole weapon skin debacle where we got “rental” weapons. Give em time as well. ArenaNet have said myriad times they are a very iterative company. They will tweak their methods from now til the game goes dark. Quitting a game because of gambling on an item that you can buy seems drastic.

what do you mean, weapon skin debacle with rental weapons?