Poor timing

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Natebert.8432

Natebert.8432

Does anybody else find it inconvenient and possibly poor planning to have such large/major patches drop during prime-time 5-10pm?

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

No.

Edit: They said the 14th – no specific time.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: karma.8763

karma.8763

Does a couple minute patch inconvenience you this much? lol

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

I was in a dungeon when the patch happened, was able to finish it then right when I accepted the reward it kicked me out. Not a big deal >.>

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: knh.9378

knh.9378

a couple minutes in what world? i have 30mb download and its still at 0% after 5 minutes because of kittenty p2p downloading in this launcher

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Bisben.5392

Bisben.5392

IF it were only a couple minutes then I would not mind. But it is not. It is a huge patch and on top of that it is crashing on me. Very poor timing indeed.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Johnson.4867

Johnson.4867

lol give me your internet if it only takes a couple mins.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Actually 10pm was great for us Aussies…finally..

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: TheFug.5278

TheFug.5278

This doesn’t seem to be a “couple minute patch”, especially when it cannot connect.

[KH] Kwisatz Haderach

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Raebfle.5914

Raebfle.5914

It’s 3.30pm here on a Saturday – Not really prime time lol

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: BuddhaWrath.5073

BuddhaWrath.5073

I agree with Dante. This is definitely not going to be a couple minute patch lol.

Main: Gradius Xon Maverick [Frostfang]
Archon Brigade [ARC], Guild Leader
80’s: Warrior, Guardian, Thief, Ranger, Engineer

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Natebert.8432

Does anybody else find it inconvenient and possibly poor planning to have such large/major patches drop during prime-time 5-10pm?

Maybe it has to do with the fact that having the majority of your userbase all pounding away on your servers to download the fresh content all at once causes them to behave as if they were experiencing a D.O.S. attack.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Bee.6239

Bee.6239

Want your internet if that’s the case.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

BuddhaWrath.5073

I’m running on a 150 Mbps d/l connection and even at 130MBs downloaded its at 1% so far haha. And no connection of course, everyone get off for a second lemme finish this >:D

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Natebert.8432

Maybe it has to do with the fact that having the majority of your userbase all pounding away on your servers to download the fresh content all at once causes them to behave as if they were experiencing a D.O.S. attack.

It couldn’t have been their intention to have their major US player base ‘offline’, on a Friday night, during their big event launch. If they’d planned their code release earlier in the day, they would have spread their download ‘load’ across the day better. Maybe they would have been better off to eat some crow, and delayed until late-late night/early morning to have a smooth launch and saved their players from not playing at all. Players that are playin’ can’t be complainin’…. Good Luck aNet in getting these back online.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rado.7314

Rado.7314

Natebert no, I have 3:40 am so no prime time.
BuddhaWrath at least you have 1% downloaded already I have 130Mbps line and can’t even connect yet

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: niwaar.5631

niwaar.5631

If by “a couple of minute patch” you mean a 30minute ordeal of seeing “Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…” then it sure does inconvenience me.

The OP is correct, the timing of the major patches in Guild Wars 2 have been horrendous. There is a real reason that virtually ALL existing MMOs schedule their patches during non prime time. To help alleviate the bombardment of their servers. WoW does its patching in the early morning. FFXI did their patching around Japanese Midnight. I realize that with a worldwide game that it can be problematic to find a good time… oh wait, XI was a worldwide game and found 6-8 (sometimes 10 hours) to patch where it wasn’t all together inconvenient or overtaxing to their servers.

I realize that Anet has an advanced “build” and “patch” system that no other game save for GW1 has used. However, there needs to be someone over there that says, “We have to get this out at a time where our update servers aren’t going to be outright slammed”

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Carzor Stelatis.9435

Carzor Stelatis.9435

They know how many customers they have, so there is no excuse for failing to provide sufficient server capacity. This isn’t an online store being knocked offline because it had a 70% off sale on Crocs and suddenly gets 100x the traffic the owners were expecting – Arenanet know how many people bought the game and therefore the maximum server load.

Reports though that it’s already getting better, let’s wait and see.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: jaded.6574

jaded.6574

i have 14% here

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: DelphiFaela.6823

DelphiFaela.6823

it downloads only for a couple minutes at a time.. if one is lucky…

For the Toast!

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Natebert.8432

Natebert no, I have 3:40 am so no prime time.
BuddhaWrath at least you have 1% downloaded already I have 130Mbps line and can’t even connect yet

The point would be that the aNet could probably do a better job of timing their downtime (even regionally) to coincide with the off-hours of their primary user bases respectively.

Glad to see that they got their patch download started, now its just a waiting game for most of us.

Happy hunting!

(edited by Natebert.8432)

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Hsinimod.5784

Hsinimod.5784

Bad timing.

Unless they meant to have the “Connection Error” come up over and over and over. Could have been a test to see how things would handle during a high peak time. And it failed.

I just hope it finishes sometime in the next 30 min. Longer than that feels like a waste.

Playing Devil’s Advocate since 1990.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: jaded.6574

jaded.6574

i must be lucky then, at 52% already

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Rado.7314

Rado.7314

Natebert I am in Europe playing on Eu server and I am almost done 73%

Poor timing

in Wintersday

BuddhaWrath.5073

And we’re done.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Geewoody.2017

Geewoody.2017

This obviously isn’t prime time. If it was, there’d be wide-spread connection errors and crashing.

Oh wait.

Poor timing

in Wintersday

Posted by: Oldmannings.2108

Oldmannings.2108

The original Guild Wars had trickle downloading while you were in game. This whole situation could have been avoided had they ported that over.