What was the point?

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Runcore.5107

Runcore.5107

complaints complaints and even more complaints.
just enjoy the event.

And can I ask what you expected? The word of glory? Never. This event is till now total fail.

Events? Mega fail. Every day do still same quests on Tixx dungeon and what i get for this work? Some blue rubbish from chest and material (for useless minipet) which is good only for sell on market for some silver. This event was just a little funny first day first 5 minutes maybe.

Jumping puzzles? Another fail. These puzzles are so easy that it must do every 5-6 years old kid who reach keybord on first try. Total easy and another rubbish on chest. What about make it so hard like Clock tower was with corresponding reward? It was REAL jumping puzzle and not this what Anet show now.

I was hoping that this event will be challenge with some REAL rewards and not so boring relax event with primitive puzzles, tedious and still repeating quests on Tixx dungeon with no valuable rewards and some winter games which bore you after 10 mins of playing.

Omg Anet pls wake up. Much players want real challenge with valuable rewards like karka event or halloween event. Clock tower it was REAL jumping puzzle, Mad king dungeon it was REAL dungeon, Mad king chests it was REAL rewards for hard work and not this winter “event”. If you want make relax events, do some another game for children from 5-10 years and there put relax events. Here on GW2 players want real events like halloween or karka events was with real challenge and real valuable rewards and no fairy tales games with socks and sweaters rewards omg. This is Guild wars 2 not Fairy tales 2. What will be next event? Princess event with pink dress reward or what???? We should maybe call this event “Wintersfail” better. Its more corresponding name for event like this. For GW2 make pls REAL events and save these events like Wintersday for another game where players appreciate it more.

I hope that final part of this event give us some good rewards and not only another rubbish toys. I hope that these event parts till now was only bad joke and with final come real event with real rewards.

(edited by Runcore.5107)

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

I love the event. It is creative, it is fun to play, the activities are interesting (we need more games like the Keg Brawl) and I sure don’t obsess over “rewards.” If I want rewards I can do my job and get paid, then I can get personalized rewards, yay.

If I want to have some relaxing fun, I can play games like these.

And that bell makes you look good only if you know how to play it really well. Otherwise it makes people want to drop a huge boulder on your bell-swinging $@#!

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

The whine in this one is strong, lol.
Granted, the OP has some points ( RNG endless tonics and rng chests are unfair and shouldn’t be in the game ), but the amount of exageration and hyperboles is through the roof.

As people pointed out, without shelling out any gold or money you already walk out with in-game weapon skins ( very easy to obtain or to buy from the TP for 15s each ), 2 minis, and a possible final reward yet to be announced. Heck, if you don’t have the money for the endless tonics (which is around 2g for each one, not too much considering they are ENDLESS) you can even sell the leftover glue/wad stack and get 2.5g

Now if you wanted a costume, some weapon skins or the non-rng minis they are reasonably priced at the gem store and you can’t blame them for having cash shop only fluff items as you don’t pay 15 bucks a month do you?

Way too focus only on the negative side, lol.

The prices for costumes,

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Mad king dungeon it was REAL dungeon

Joke’s on you, Mad king dungeon was so easy I duoed it with a lv 40 friend the first time we got in. Nothing in the Lost Shores or Halloween events was challenging beside the Clock Tower. The game should have more PERMANENT challenges, but festive content should be easy to access for everyone. Not that I like it, but I’m mature enough to understand why.

The rest of your post can basically be summed up to " ermagerd you not showering me in exotics worth playing suxx eventz " and posts like yours should not be allowed on the forum because they are nothing but rants.

I’m now proceding to ignore users who make such hate-filled, non-constructive posts because too much is too much.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

complaints complaints and even more complaints.
just enjoy the event.

And can I ask what you expected? The word of glory? Never. This event is till now total fail.

Events? Mega fail. Every day do still same quests on Tixx dungeon and what i get for this work? Some blue rubbish from chest and material (for useless minipet) which is good only for sell on market for some silver. This event was just a little funny first day first 5 minutes maybe.

Jumping puzzles? Another fail. These puzzles are so easy that it must do every 5-6 years old kid who reach keybord on first try. Total easy and another rubbish on chest. What about make it so hard like Clock tower was with corresponding reward? It was REAL jumping puzzle and not this what Anet show now.

I was hoping that this event will be challenge with some REAL rewards and not so boring relax event with primitive puzzles, tedious and still repeating quests on Tixx dungeon with no valuable rewards and some winter games which bore you after 10 mins of playing.

Omg Anet pls wake up. Much players want real challenge with valuable rewards like karka event or halloween event. Clock tower it was REAL jumping puzzle, Mad king dungeon it was REAL dungeon, Mad king chests it was REAL rewards for hard work and not this winter “event”. If you want make relax events, do some another game for children from 5-10 years and there put relax events. Here on GW2 players want real events like halloween or karka events was with real challenge and real valuable rewards and no fairy tales games with socks and sweaters rewards omg. This is Guild wars 2 not Fairy tales 2. What will be next event? Princess event with pink dress reward or what???? We should maybe call this event “Wintersfail” better. Its more corresponding name for event like this. For GW2 make pls REAL events and save these events like Wintersday for another game where players appreciate it more.

I hope that final part of this event give us some good rewards and not only another rubbish toys. I hope that these event parts till now was only bad joke and with final come real event with real rewards.

wow- I would not be so fast to call everyone who enjoy this event 5- 10 year old it makes you sound like a toddler.
Also your disrespect and need for a pat on the back just because you did an event makes you sound entitled.
Guess what, many adults have had a really though year and are pretty burned out from real life at this point.
Those people welcome a nice fun relaxing event. Anything you get as a reward is just a perk.
Get a grip

Gunnar’s Hold

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Iridiana.9078

Iridiana.9078

I quote everything this thread author wrote. I feel the same… and the scar will remain. No more expectation from next event. I won’t write here in the forum (like during Halloween) “please give us a cute baby quaggan”cause I know now they will use this to make money with RNG. I won’t waste golds in the Mystic forge…. 5 golds spent and no endless tonic: I’ll destroy these useless frames occupying slots in my bank.
Next month I won’t just expect nothing cute or cool which is not 0,0001% RNG, gem-based or both.

Iridiana – Sylvari Ranger
Server: Piken Square
Leader of Dark Shines [Dsh]

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: holska.4127

holska.4127

How is 2 guaranteed miniatures and a chance for some other nice rewards a bad thing? Why is it that folks always want want want everything there is to get and want it right nao?

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: ley.8973

ley.8973

A nice comment from Massively that sums this event up somewhat fittingly:

My experience with the holiday event in GW2: Excitedly collect 10 socks and locate the merchant who will redeem them. I get a gift bag for my socks. Inside the gift bag? 4 socks.

Yesterday I was collecting some presents in hopes of getting something relevant. As I was repeatedly almost-dying to those golems with their no-fun stun mechanics (if I wanted to stand around stunned with a swirl above my head, I’d play WOW, kitten ), I kept wondering: where did the Halloween event designers go? And why did Anet task the janitors’s son with designing this one?

I know guys at Anet meant well… but somehow, it just doesn’t work. I dunno why, as I am no game designer. I just feel it doesn’t work. Not because of being broken like Karka event was. More like because of being poorly balanced from start… as if it was designed by several separate teams that refuse to talk to each other.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Laufey.5129

Laufey.5129

I’ve enjoyed the event too. The problem is many people want EVERYTHING from the event and are not happy if that happens to cost them too much time or too much money. For me, I’ve been happy doing each airship event and grabbing a couple of toys and getting the Apprentice Toymaker title. But I don’t look at an event as a chance to grab as many of the things on offer as possible. I look at what is available within the constraints that I set myself, and then ensure I get them. I do not buy boxes, I do not buy gems to spend on items in the cash shop. My gems are spent on character upgrades such as bank space and character slots.

People need to set themselves budgets, be that in time spent or cash spent, and then go about getting what they can within these budgets. If someone wants it all, be prepared to pay.

This is everything I wanted to say, but worded much more eloquently than I would have managed. I really have nothing to add, this is exactly how I see events and I have had lots of fun with this one.

Well said.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I keep reading the phrase ’shady drug dealer style scam ’ but I still have no idea what it means, or how it can apply to acquiring toys for a digital characters.

On the plus side another person who says they are excited for Elder Scrolls Online is always funny.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

It’s certainly the most dramatic distinction between Anet’s business model and a subscription based MMO. I can’t imagine any subscription based MMO being this stingy with a holiday event.

I keep reading the phrase ’shady drug dealer style scam ’ but I still have no idea what it means, or how it can apply to acquiring toys for a digital characters.

I’d say it’s more like gambling, and the more they introduce it into the game the more they invite the government in to regulate it for no other reason than that Anet couldn’t come up with something better than a slot machine, despite having so much more sophisticated tools to do so.

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

It’s certainly the most dramatic distinction between Anet’s business model and a subscription based MMO. I can’t imagine any subscription based MMO being this stingy with a holiday event.

Then you obviously didn’t see Tera EU’s event. You get decorations(as in, trees around the world) and to kill Santas for, guess what, rng boxes. Oh, and a photoshop-based event for 3 players out of…dunno how many Tera still has, but I’m pretty sure it’s more than 3.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

Let the man voice his feelings and concerns. The Fan Boy posts in this thread are probably the most obnoxious sentences I’ve ever read. If you are a true fan of this game and developer you’ll appreciate the op’s thread. Seriously, get anets kitten out if your mouth.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: ObliviousFool.3427

ObliviousFool.3427

On the plus side another person who says they are excited for Elder Scrolls Online is always funny.

That means “here take some for free, but if/when you get hooked, gotta buy more BEEEEOTCH.”

ALSO, please god please please please tell me am I missing something or did the christmas chest really have just 200 cogs in it, 50 short of doing anything else but taking a slot up in my inventory?

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

That means “here take some for free, but if/when you get hooked, gotta buy more BEEEEOTCH.”

ALSO, please god please please please tell me am I missing something or did the christmas chest really have just 200 cogs in it, 50 short of doing anything else but taking a slot up in my inventory?

Drug free is the way to be.
Too smart to start.
If you aren’t drug free, you can’t hang with me.
Above the Influence.

They gave the 200 cogs out because some people received the wrong rewards (less cogs than they were supposed to) and this was the easiest way to fix. Just keep them in bank “in case” but I doubt you’ll be able to make more than the 2 minis that they stated in the other thread.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Me and my bud both spent 50 bucks on chests,

I got 9 mini pets, he got 1. Is 50 bucks not enough? I have spent quite a bit more in the past, but now my friend has been scared away forever and I don’t know how I feel.

I could care less about mini-pets so let me give them away to someone who does :S

Now we could deal with the crazy rng if they were tradeable….

ps, proof. (6 pets plus the rare foostivoo, which takes 3 minis to make)

Thank you for supporting the game!

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Necrid.2705

Necrid.2705

And now after the fact, another 250 Cogs… Failure rate for everything still blows. Anet, if you’re going to make changes mid-event… Fix whats broken… Dont throw out more Drug Dealer Tactics…. its now 3 gold PER ATTEMPT for endless tonics and now your giving out another 250 cogs after telling us all we wont get more…. Seriously Anet, Seriously? Just another Drug-Dealer tactic….. Lets do the math… if 2 million players are on this event. and 25% are willing to spend 20$ on gems, that is a 10million dollar windfall for 1 event. And yet still you are screwing us? When is enough, enough? You have enormous updates for January and February coming up, if applying that same math, thats another 20 mill in your pockets. And yet still you drive 90% of everything to RNG. You will now have less than that 25% willing in future events from burning them on RNG boxes and ridiculous failure rates for the tonics. Seriously Anet?

— Necrid — Ehmry Bay — [TML]/[oG] — Charrdian Main — All Classes
— [Twitch] twitch.tv/necrid2705 — [GW-EN] gw-en.com “Necrid and Chill”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Yamiino.1827

Yamiino.1827

Hmm I liked the event, I want the outfit, but I don’t feel like spending money since I don’t like it very much, I could get it with gold, but meh there goes my savings… better keep doing WvW and sPVP <3

I liked the mini golem btw – ty.

I don’t know why people complain about this event most of it is simply cosmetic, nothing you need to play, yes cool stuff is expensive, so save, and then get it later on, you don’t need it to play.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Necrid.2705

Everyone keeps assuming this is wanted for free.

Before anyone posts further about wanting it free read this: NOT ONCE HAS ANYTHING BEEN ASKED FOR FOR FREE. EVERYTHING IN THIS THREAD HAS ASKED FOR A REDUCTION ON FAILURE RATES FOR ITEMS AND THE ABILITY TO GET WHAT YOU WANTED THROUGH MEANS OF EFFORT IN GRINDING AND NOT BEING LIMITED TO PUTTING GOLD OR CASH INTO MORE GEMS AFTER ALREADY PURCHASING 2000 GEMS THROUGH MEANS AND GETTING ABSOLUTELY JACK FROM IT FROM RNG

Stop your assumptions at the door.

Not once was it ever stated that we wanted to just log in and get everything.

The event had a ridiculous amount of failure rate for everything in it except for 1 thing, the in-game item that they set a limit on, again forcing you to use more Gold or Cash which goes 100% against what Anet’s promise to be for “all players”.

They took advantage of certain types of players, collectors, and capitalized on their need/drive to unlock/obtain a certain collection, be it Mini’s or Tonics or whatever they were after, Anet contrived the entire system to drive money into their coffers at the cost of showing their player community how they truely feel about them. We are dollarsigns to them, nothing more. This event proved it.

They made Millions of dollars on this event. Millions. They will make Millions on January’s, and Millions on February’s as well. The amount that they screwed us on this event is wholly unjustified. And there is NO defending their actions. Period. They screwed us. Plain as simple. You cannot deny it. Look at any thread in the Wintersday forum.

People got either VERY lucky, or they were screwed hard.

You fanboys who dropped a measly 10$ in gems and got all that you wanted,
GOOD FOR YOU. CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING THE 1%

The other 99% of us, got screwd. Simple as that.

(edited by Necrid.2705)

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Car.3805

Car.3805

I’m not just a number, you know. I have feelings too!

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: MrMacAndCheese.3907

MrMacAndCheese.3907

BWAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

shhhhh…..

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: RedBaron.6058

RedBaron.6058

Actually, I found myself thinking a lot of times if the chest gambling as it is now is not considered illegal gambling under most of western countries laws. To carry out this type of activity (exchanging real money for a complete random prize with very low reward probability) requires special licensing.

“Blackadder: If you want something done properly, kill Baldrick before you start.”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I didn’t get anything substantial from RNG. I paid coin for stuffing/glue to try to make EL tonics — nothing. But I don’t care because the event is fantastic.

• The NPCs having snowball fights in LA.
  • The presents that you unwrap and spawn a handful of really challenging foes.
  • The Jumping Puzzle (which I still can’t finish)
  • Making snowman
  • The choir challenge
  • The Toypaclypse
  • Fighting toy soliders, stuffed griffons, princes dolls (special skill: throws tantrum), etc.
  • ANet gave everyone a 15-slot bag and a new backpack skin. (Plus, as usual, a bunch of other skins.)
  • Everyone got to make two of any five of the available miniatures, without paying coin or gems. (Just had to complete the dungeon 5×.)

Oh, and the cash shop has a bunch of stuff, if you want to spend money.

I’m very happy with the event, even though I didn’t get any of the rare drops from BL chests, the forge, or other sources.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Metahari.1286

Metahari.1286

I really enjoyed the event, felt there is enough time to experience it and enjoyed the content, music and humor, and my princess and griffon dolls.

I really like how you can get the toymakers apprentice without doing the jumping puzzle or all the snowfight challenges, giving us options on how we wanted to finish it.

thanks, anet!

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Necrid.2705

BWAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!

shhhhh…..

MrMac – I am intitled to my opinion. I can post what I want. I can feel how I want. Do not quote me and change my quote. If you don’t like my post, ignore it. Simple as that. Keep your fanboy rudeness out of here.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

Actually, I found myself thinking a lot of times if the chest gambling as it is now is not considered illegal gambling under most of western countries laws. To carry out this type of activity (exchanging real money for a complete random prize with very low reward probability) requires special licensing.

Their lawyers looked it over a ton and made sure it was acceptable. This particular system is used in Nexon and other games from Korean companies and they were given the OK then.

Well, maybe the mini pets might be bad. Not sure really. Might classify as a Complete Gacha.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sunreva.8714

Sunreva.8714

Not once was it ever stated that we wanted to just log in and get everything.

Just because it hasn’t been outright stated doesn’t mean it’s not true. Let’s be honest, the whining about the RNG system and not having the opportunity to have it all (through grinding) is actually a thinly-veiled “I want it all”.

The event had a ridiculous amount of failure rate for everything in it except for 1 thing, the in-game item that they set a limit on, again forcing you to use more Gold or Cash which goes 100% against what Anet’s promise to be for “all players”.

The event(s) are for all players, the content is free, and the potential for reward is the same. While not all players have the same amount of resources at their disposal (being able to afford gambling 50g), that’s not Arenanet’s problem.

They took advantage of certain types of players, collectors, and capitalized on their need/drive to unlock/obtain a certain collection, be it Mini’s or Tonics or whatever they were after, Anet contrived the entire system to drive money into their coffers at the cost of showing their player community how they truely feel about them. We are dollarsigns to them, nothing more. This event proved it.

No one has been taken advantage of, everyone has the opportunity to experience the same content, and this notion that collectors are somehow being preyed upon is as absurd as it is utterly false.

They made Millions of dollars on this event. Millions. They will make Millions on January’s, and Millions on February’s as well. The amount that they screwed us on this event is wholly unjustified. And there is NO defending their actions. Period. They screwed us. Plain as simple. You cannot deny it. Look at any thread in the Wintersday forum.

I have seen the Wintersday forum, and it’s filled with many grateful players who are thrilled to have new free content, new toys/tonics to go for, and more. This ‘arenanet is out to secretly screw us’ conspiracy is pure nonsense.

The people who got screwed (I assume you mean, lost a significant amount of gold gambling for items X or Y) have only themselves to blame. If you can’t afford to lose money then perhaps you shouldn’t be risking it. Who’s to blame for someone who throws and loses 200g into the mystic forge hoping to get a precursor? Arenanet? Give me a break. Everyone has the same odds, and these are calculated risks that the players who choose to partake in these chances, completely own.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

\If arenanet didn’t have RNG people would literally have everything, and we would have 1000’s of people running around with unbrekable choir bells.

I find absolutely nothing wrong with this in any way, shape or form. It’s a really cool item that says, “hey yeah, I was around on Wintersday, who wants to meet up and be social and play songs together?” Zero reason to make it impossible or frustrating to obtain.

I’m very fine with a lot of the event and I enjoyed a lot of it. The snowball fights were fun, the bell choir was fun, the Infinirarium was fun. My computer can’t handle timed jumping puzzles so I skipped that (which is okay, I did the same thing on Halloween), and Toypocalypse felt a little messy/disorganized but it was still entertaining enough for a few games. I was able to get all of the achievements and my title (minus jumping puzzle), and the toy weapon skins I wanted were abundantly available.

I liked that you were able to turn in trophies for items you specifically wanted rather than needing to roll dice for them, as it meant that I’d have to choose between spending my money or my time for a guaranteed opportunity to get what I wanted. I liked that I had the opportunity to create minipets and thought it was clever and enjoyable, even though I had to pick and choose which ones of the five I wanted the most.

I’m a hoarder and a completionist, and I was completely okay with making small sacrifices like that, because I know that even if I’ve missed out on something I did so of my own volition. I decided not to spend any gems in the gem store — that’s fine, I’ll just keep holding out for some cool town clothes in the future (even though the ones from this event are pretty nice…). I decided which minipets I like the most/fit my characters the best, and I’m comfortable with not getting the other ones.

These are all things that I control and all things that I work towards. They are goals that I can easily measure and track, and I’m guaranteed that my money and my efforts will yield a reward that I enjoy. I don’t like vertical progression in games, sure, but having goals to work toward is important to me. It could be fleshing out my character for roleplay, or it could be performing a feat, or it could be collecting achievements, or it could be collecting enough cash to help my guild improve.

What I don’t like are things that I don’t control. That isn’t because I am a control freak, but rather that I like to spend my time wisely. I like that opening gifts all but guarantees that you’ll get some socks or sweaters, and that turning those in guarantees that you’ll get the item that you want. What I don’t like is buying several thousand gifts, or grinding them out, or somehow obtaining 300-500g in under two weeks when I struggle to make 2g per day most of the time.

I understand the need for players to stand out and feel unique, I really do. I’m a roleplayer and I spend a lot of time tinkering with my appearance or planning out a personality. What I don’t understand is the need some players have to stand out or to feel unique at the expense of other players’ enjoyment. Having a sweet vanity item doesn’t really do anything to help you stand out, unless there are very few of them and you’re the only one in a crowd that has it.

That’s where the selfishness and attention-seeking, ego-stroking, “want want want” attitude comes in. There is simply no consequence to the game or the community’s ability to enjoy it by having items such as this available in some sort of guaranteed way… unless you’re the special snowflake that owns one and feels threatened by others sharing in your enjoyment. That’s what guilds are for.

If I want to exchange 5000 Sweaters or 7500 Hats or 10000 Socks for an Unbreakable Choir Bell, then kitten it let me do so. Make it soulbound even. I’d rather spend 10-20 gold and be guaranteed to get the item that I want than spend 300g and make some random person rich because they were more lucky than I was when I opened a box.

There is a huge difference between giving an item prestige and indulging special snowflakes. I say this AS a special snowflake. Making them RNG super-expensive TP fodder doesn’t make them prestigious, it just makes people “unique” for the wrong reasons and at the expense of others.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Necrid.2705

The people who got screwed (I assume you mean, lost a significant amount of gold gambling for items X or Y) have only themselves to blame. If you can’t afford to lose money then perhaps you shouldn’t be risking it. Who’s to blame for someone who throws and loses 200g into the mystic forge hoping to get a precursor? Arenanet? Give me a break. Everyone has the same odds, and these are calculated risks that the players who choose to partake in these chances, completely own.

Anet has been asked for the failure rate. They will not state it, only go as far as saying that the wiki info is incorrect. They designed these “loot tables” to have exponentially low chances of getting what you want.

I never said anything about Precursor….. Thats a worthy Item, and its Sellable…

The ridiculous failure rates mentioned are for Account Bound, purely cosmetic items.

There is NO Reason players have to lose 2000+Gems and 28+ gold in mats, to wind up with practically nothing for a HOLIDAY ACCOUNTBOUND ITEM.

Im not asking for Entire Game changes. Leave your assumptions at the door. Read the text. Anything that can be sold to other players is fine how it is. But my account shouldn’t be completely gutted for my shot at getting an account bound item. Thats the failure rate thats too high.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Mank.2183

Mank.2183

[snip]

This, x100.

It’s your choice to spend 2000+Gems and 28+ gold in mats, ANet’s not forcing you.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Necrid.2705

[snip]

This, x100.

It’s your choice to spend 2000+Gems and 28+ gold in mats, ANet’s not forcing you.

Your wrong, they did. This is how they capitalized on Collectors. They specifically designed the system to do exactly this. By design. Thus they forced me to. They understand the drive behind a collector and his game. You do not. There is absolutely ZERO reason for failure rates this high on a Holiday Event Account Bound Item.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Kerithlan.1659

Kerithlan.1659

To expand on my previous post a little bit, I’d prefer it if the only thing that came out of the gifts were snowflakes and sweaters/hats/socks. I’d have liked it a lot more if we had to exchange trophies for the skins rather than getting them randomly, but that’s mostly because I don’t like most RNG. Random is fine for some things, but it simply isn’t when there is a time limit or a deadline, or when real cash is involved.

For example, you aren’t going to see a jumping puzzle randomly decide to change itself, as that would either take you to the final chest too quickly or too slowly. Every jumping puzzle is organic and fair because everything you do is under your control, which means that when you fail it’s due to user error.

Failing when you’ve mismanaged your resources or your time might make people feel frustrated or upset, but it isn’t going to make them feel cheated, robbed or wronged. When you fail because of elements out of your control, then it is simply depressing.

Yes we could always choose not to get items or not to open chests or blah blah etc typical generic comeback, but that isn’t the point. I don’t want to choose between non-participation or a gamble/chance. I want to weigh non-participation versus my time, resources and ability/skill, and then make an appropriate decision based off of my circumstance. I personally feel that’s a very mature and fair choice to be asking for.

If you don’t understand that or why more and more gamers are asking developers to move in that sort of direction, then you might be an addict… or a special snowflake guarding your super uniqueness and/or your super awesome lewt.

Fosthe — Sylvari Elementalist
Men of Science [MoS] – Tarnished Coast

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Necrid.2705

( eloquence, tact, understanding, articulate )

Glad some people are actually seeing the point of this thread instead of making it a fanboy vs freebie-wanting-hater thread. Kudos to you on your very well-put input. I (quite obviously) could not have said it better.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: skt.7905

skt.7905

Glad some people are actually seeing the point of this thread instead of making it a fanboy vs freebie-wanting-hater thread. Kudos to you on your very well-put input. I (quite obviously) could not have said it better.

Kerithlan makes a very good point but it’s not the point you’re making. Yes, the simple RNG nature of the event is fundamentally flawed, especially when it comes to involving real money.

But RNG in itself isn’t forcing you to spend gold or gems in order to succeed. Your greed and impatience for the intangible, and transitory I might add, reward system is to blame – not Anet.

What Mank is trying to tell you is: “A fool and his money are soon parted.”

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Mank.2183

[snip]

This, x100.

Your wrong, they did. This is how they capitalized on Collectors. They specifically designed the system to do exactly this. By design. Thus they forced me to. They understand the drive behind a collector and his game. You do not. There is absolutely ZERO reason for failure rates this high on a Holiday Event Account Bound Item.

I’m going to make an assumption of my own: “A fool and his money are soon parted”.

The bad RNG is not forcing anyone, it’s their own lack of will and obsessive behaviour.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

skt.7905

I’m going to make an assumption of my own: “A fool and his money are soon parted”.

Oh snap!

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Mank.2183

Oh snap!

GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ace.1726

Ace.1726

What are you talking about ArenaNet haven’t let anyone down. People are demanding minipets to be free now?

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Gaudrath.6725

Gaudrath.6725

I just fought another group of those creepy, whining little princess dolls and now I have a strong sense of deja vu when reading this thread.

Uthgar Stormbringer, elementalist
Sigurd Greymane, guardian
~ Piken

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Necrid.2705

Clearly you are missing the point and will not understand. If all you’re going to do is call me a fool then eff you. You may not have wanted the rewards, you may not have wanted the tonics. Good for you. Fact is, I did, I do, and their broken system has WAY TOO HIGH of a failure rate for HOLIDAY ACCOUNT BOUND ITEMS. *I repeat yet again, I don’t want it to be free or zero effort. And again I will also repeat, this only applies to the holiday account bound items and the RNG rates and loot tables for those items, either in the forge or in the box, are stupidly low success/drop rates. For a timed, non-repeating event, it is entirely too low.

There is no reason it should be this designed this low. Period. If you disagree then you simply do not see or were not personally affected like the rest of us were. Just cuz you lucked out or didn’t want something fine. I do, and its broken. Now, if you fanboys will excuse me, I’m trying to have a creative thread here where other players who feel the drop rate is too low can chime in and we can get Anets attention to have this looked at. Without all your fanboy cheering and your name calling. If you disagree with my opinion, oh well. No need for your trolling comments and general rudeness. Close the thread and move on. SImple as that. Fact is: There are PLENTY of people who share my feelings on this matter, and those people are who this thread is for. If you don’t like it, there is a neato little X button in the corner you can click on. Use it.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: mojodamm.6854

mojodamm.6854

If you absolutely can’t control yourself over virtual items during a holiday event in a computer game, perhaps there are deeper issues that you should be addressing.

On topic, the point of the event was to have fun and enjoy your time during the holiday season. I suppose many people have forgotten that and exhibit this same ‘want-it-all!’ behavior IRL as well, more concerned with phat lewts than just enjoying themselves and this time of year.

Excelsior!

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Azylir.9137

Azylir.9137

You do realize in most games events are usually gold sinks of RNG for the unlucky, and for the lucky its a way to possibly get rich or feel special, and of course the super rich just keep getting richer because they can control the markets. Oh, and just be thankful you get to choose your pets you want to craft, GW1 every single pet outside of collectors edition bonus pets were completely RNG! This is an RPG, I’ll assume you’ve played other ones before, get use to RNG because it’s what makes things interesting! Doors that way —-→

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ned Stark.9356

Ned Stark.9356

don’t worry about the white knights necrid. they’re just mad cause your punching wholes in Anets multiple bought “Game of the Year” titles. As for the topic I believe we should grill Anet more about this horrible RNG success/failure percentage.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Ned Stark.9356

Ned Stark.9356

You do realize in most games events are usually gold sinks of RNG for the unlucky, and for the lucky its a way to possibly get rich or feel special, and of course the super rich just keep getting richer because they can control the markets. Oh, and just be thankful you get to choose your pets you want to craft, GW1 every single pet outside of collectors edition bonus pets were completely RNG! This is an RPG, I’ll assume you’ve played other ones before, get use to RNG because it’s what makes things interesting! Doors that way —-->

World of Warcrafts seasonal events are a good role model for Anet since they don’t have a massive failure of an RNG rate on monster dropped items and the rest can be easily obtained.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

skt.7905

Other players are entitled to their opinion, Necrid. Just because they happen to oppose your own doesn’t mean they cannot and shouldn’t contribute to this discussion. Believe it or not, these forums are not here just to validate your point of view.

You, and many others, can express their disappointment with the Wintersday event. That doesn’t make it a bad or failed event. Many others have enjoyed and are happy with the event.

The fact remains that Anet implemented a system that relies on an amount of player control which is out of their hands. These kinds of systems always provide the most dynamic and emergent gameplay trends. Personally, I prefer fresh and interesting ways of interacting with a living, evolving game rather than something static, and predictable which leads to a boring and lifeless game.

I believe that certain RNG can be too influential on the overall effort/risk vs. reward, but you’ve basically stated you want all the rewards from this event with less effort/risk. There’s still 2 weeks to go but apparently you’ve done everything you can from this event.

And before you start complaining about people bashing on you, take a moment to stop bashing on us yourself.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: BiJay.9830

BiJay.9830

don’t worry about the white knights necrid. they’re just mad cause your punching wholes in Anets multiple bought “Game of the Year” titles. As for the topic I believe we should grill Anet more about this horrible RNG success/failure percentage.

Bought “Game of the Year” title? I think you lost your sense for reality.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Sender.7958

Sender.7958

Oh, did Anet FORCE you to partake of the system as well? Did their nefarious psychological warfare coerce your weak and timid mind into buying gems against your will?

Anet has it share of screw-ups, no parties in Toypocalyse is lame and the entire Lost Shores event was kitten. But to whine on these forums that Anet FORCED you to buy stuff (no doubt you were protesting all the while in your head) is unbelievable and quite frankly implies that you have weak character and no self-control.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Azylir.9137

We’re not, or at least I’m not trying to defend ANet. However blaming them for RNG regardless of percentages on the drops is pointless. Even if they were higher doesn’t mean he would have got anything, and it still would have been a complete gold sink, I know someone who got the unbreakable bell, some people have luck with RNG others don’t. Personally I don’t so I try to avoid the gold sink as much as possible because I also can’t afford to risk it. Stop blaming someone else for what is just purely bad luck. You have an issue with RNG don’t blow your money on something with the hope that maybe just maybe you’ll get the drop, because you probably won’t and you’ll have been better off just farming ore or some kitten!

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Posted by: Lacechan.6524

Lacechan.6524

It would have been kind of interesting if they had put each of those minis available for purchase (like the weapon skins) and from the box itself you could get a ticket to redeem for any one of those four.

What was the point?

in Wintersday

Azylir.9137

You do realize in most games events are usually gold sinks of RNG for the unlucky, and for the lucky its a way to possibly get rich or feel special, and of course the super rich just keep getting richer because they can control the markets. Oh, and just be thankful you get to choose your pets you want to craft, GW1 every single pet outside of collectors edition bonus pets were completely RNG! This is an RPG, I’ll assume you’ve played other ones before, get use to RNG because it’s what makes things interesting! Doors that way —-->

World of Warcrafts seasonal events are a good role model for Anet since they don’t have a massive failure of an RNG rate on monster dropped items and the rest can be easily obtained.

Played WoW for a couple years… the thing was, there was no real huge event drops that really got too much attention in the first place…