10/5: Crystal Desert/Dragonbrand/Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Sharpclaw.7510

Sharpclaw.7510

So! I figured it’d be good to have a place to talk about the match. Ideally, a civil place where we can talk about things, maybe talk about exciting moments and all that. And to just discuss things generally. Leave the violent stuff for the field, eh?

For one, I’ll start by saying that I’m excited. I’m on TC and while I enjoyed our matchup against Sea of Sorrows and Gate of Madness this past week, there were time zone issues that came into play that were a hassle for pretty much everyone. I’m hoping this week, in terms of queuing, is more consistent between the three of us.

I’m ready to admit that I think this will be a much more difficult match. I’m excited to see Crystal Desert already and I would be lying to you if I didn’t say that, regardless of whatever course the long term takes for any server, I am eager to get another chance to bloody the nose of Dragonbrand.

Opening chaos seemed interesting enough, with some pull. And it looks to continue, even if there’s some general settlement (Crystal Desert seeming to have benefited from a strong opening even though, really, we’re talking about the first hour or so of a week long process). The next few days will be key for everyone, really and I hope that we all have a very fun, tense, and generally well played match.

in WvW

Posted by: Saranis.3718

Saranis.3718

Its interesting, certain Dragonbrand guilds have approached Crystal Desert guilds with bets in the effect of “If we win, we’ll move to your server, if you win you move to ours…”

I don’t know of any guilds who have actually accepted these approaches, but its funny to see how desperate Dragonbrand is for WvW guilds.

in WvW

Posted by: Igolbug.7295

Igolbug.7295

CD always starts out strong, and then people get bored or something and our numbers diminish without ever coming back.

Igolbug – 80 Elementalist
The Owl Exterminators
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

CD always starts out strong, and then people get bored or something and our numbers diminish without ever coming back.

Nah its just once people realize tht the other teams have more people playing more often so its impossible to win they stop playing.

Hears to hoping we dont figure that out this time for at least a couple of days!

in WvW

Posted by: Zynthetic.2954

Zynthetic.2954

Its interesting, certain Dragonbrand guilds have approached Crystal Desert guilds with bets in the effect of “If we win, we’ll move to your server, if you win you move to ours…”

Couldn’t really blame them. The force of both servers combined would be a server to be reckoned with.

TC is looking stay in the higher brackets, preferably with a victory
DB is wanting to get into tier 2.
CD wants their spot back next to IoJ, and continue pushing tier 1.

Winning this matchup means a lot to all parties.

Tarnished Coast - Principality of New Katulus [PiNK]
Commander Zynergise – 80 Hammer Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: mifbifgiggle.6713

mifbifgiggle.6713

So Far it seems to be a fairly balanced match. CD got sm, TC keeps getting into first with points, and db has 2 orbs although they’re in last.

Mr Flintlock, lvl 80 Engineer
Jade Quarry Crusader
rock the elixirs.

in WvW

Posted by: Lymain.6723

Lymain.6723

Interesting start so far. CD’s little 5-ish player strike teams have done well in TC’s borderland.

[AS] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

People underestimate roaming teams sometimes. Although smaller groups have issues holding onto things, obviously Unless they have people to follow up on that. I don’t know the whole direction on your side but CD seems to be doing a fair job of doing just that at them moment. Could change but it does seem like there’s a fair bit of digging in.

Match is close still, considered. TC’s not terribly far behind and even though they’re in last, Dragonbrand isn’t either if they manage a big offensive. Not to sound pejorative (and really I’m just talking playful talk here) but I do want to stress the word if.

;)

in WvW

Posted by: Mulitplex.2017

Mulitplex.2017

Saranis

I don’t know of any guilds who have actually accepted these approaches, but its funny to see how desperate Dragonbrand is for WvW guilds.

DB really only needs a few more non-NA guilds to cover some of our weaker coverage times.

in WvW

Posted by: Jhu.3965

Jhu.3965

CD just got cruelly evicted from the whole of TC borderlands, caught between the grind of TC and DB.

I was at Dreaming Bay at the end, not a pretty sight.

in WvW

Posted by: Mulitplex.2017

Mulitplex.2017

Match is close still, considered. TC’s not terribly far behind and even though they’re in last, Dragonbrand isn’t either if they manage a big offensive. Not to sound pejorative (and really I’m just talking playful talk here) but I do want to stress the word if.

;)

If?

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

If?

Didn’t mean to imply you were gutless or anything.

It’s an interesting night right now, I’ll say that. Really fun!

EDIT: Oh, even more exciting. Two big Dreaming Bay fights. A failed DB orb run. These are the moments we live for! And a lot of us die for!

(edited by Sharpclaw.7510)

in WvW

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

I’m from TC.

I am really looking forward to this match-up and seeing how it plays out.

So far, it’s living up to my hopes: a close and hard fought battle with -great- maneuvering and tactical adjustments that mean something.

Both DB and CD have played really well so far. CD – you guys have some really good roaming teams. I was impressed by a few of them when I had the misfortune of stumbling upon them in Eternal earlier tonight.

Keep up the good fights and clean battles and we’ll have a blast this week.

Edited: added the score as of 2:42am Eastern Saturday, Oct 6, 2012.

Attachments:

(edited by Moderator)

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

The match so far has been a real see-saw, with the standings changing every 15 minutes at update.

I hope that the off-peak contest isn’t too out of wack because on TC at least, this competition will really help us up our game.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

Just keeping with the theme of updates. That was as of a bout two minutes ago. Everyone keeps talking about Crystal Desert roaming groups and I’d like to say that it’s pretty true. You move around a lot.

Dragonbrand? Nice push and, since I’m fighting in my own borderlands, it would be remiss of me to not mention that you had a nice defense of Bluelake.

Attachments:

in WvW

Posted by: gorgewall.4901

gorgewall.4901

Well, it’s just turned 4:30am CST, which means it’s about time for everyone but Dragonbrand to go to sleep and watch as the map turns blue. How.. predictable.

There are only two ways to solve this problem before Anet decides to fix it:
1) summon a hundred Australians out of nowhere to staff the other servers
2) destroy the server that effortlessly sweeps across the map at night, during the day

As we at TC learned last week, the most effective way of countering night-capping shenanigans is to completely obliterate the server responsible the moment they no longer have the population advantage. We worked alongside GoM to destroy SoS every day, but unfortunately GoM’s population and strategy was not up to snuff around the clock and they rapidly petered out—leaving TC to take the map all day, since SoS’s NA players quickly became demoralized and spent the rest of the week seeking treatment for broken noses instead of fighting back.

But this match will be different, as I’m sure we have the population on all three servers to max out queues during the NA primetime, even if one server becomes a little dejected. To that end, it behooves us honorable denizens of the Desert and Coast to throw our combined sand into the eyes of those dragon-lovers and minimize the gains Dragonbrand sees from their tide of WvE-ing koala-huggers.

in WvW

Posted by: Tamvir.2940

Tamvir.2940

I’m not saying you guys aren’t weaker during the night than we are – but DB does not have a strong night reputation. We’ve been slaughtered during week day nights the last 2 matches vs JQ and BG.

in WvW

Posted by: Twinbros.5372

Twinbros.5372

What Gorgewall said. It’s crystal clear what server has the larger night force seeing how Dragonbrand controls almost everything at this time of night. If either TC or CD hope to have a chance at wining we are going to need to focus Dragonbrand during the day so that we effectively cancel out the large advantage they have over our realms at night. This is clear and simple strategy, you go after the larger threat (Dragonbrand at the moment) until said realm does not have such a large advantage anymore. I know not everyone is going to adhere to a “truce” between TC and CD, but if enough of us focus them during the day, we can null their night time advantage.

Tarnished Coast. 80 Elementalist , 80 Ranger, 80 Mesmer, 80 Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Deathcarlyle.6075

Deathcarlyle.6075

I been waiting for this match up with DB and another server more like our since last time it had JQ in it. But unfortunatly i feel CD has lost some poeple since then and our night crew has become very weak possibly some of our day also. But i hope this week is nothing but neck and neck and Neck all week

in WvW

Posted by: Lymain.6723

Lymain.6723

I wouldn’t make too much of DB’s night crew. It’s 8 AM PST and CD already has a commanding lead in points per turn despite being orbless.

[AS] Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

It does seem to be a very pronounced spike, in terms of what the Dragonbrand spike is at night time. I do know that TC kept up the fight in their own Borderlands for quite a long time, so regardless of result, I’m still pretty glad that folks made the effort that they did. Not to question Crystal Desert, but they had their borderlands heavily covered by Dragonbrand before I finally had to go to bed. Seems to be partially the case even now. It makes me curious, and not in any suggestive way (which I point out only because even small comments about matchups get turned into more than they are), why they weren’t so keen on their own zone. Although that’s changing a bit.

I still think this will be a fun match, although it’ll be very interesting to see how much either Tarnished Coast or Crystal Desert will be able to counter Dragonbrand’s apparent time differential. If I’m look at today, so far, the normal point trend tends to see CD pick up significantly when in full force and something of a back and forth, point wise, between DB and TC. (DB hits 190, pops up. TC hits a similar point, pops up a bi). It’s definitely early and the big counter for either CD or TC does seem to be the daytime push.

But enough analysis! Take time to talk about some of your favorite moments too! I’d like to hear those. I don’t want to start though. So, keep talking about the overall meta of the match but if you have a good kill or duel or intense siege, share the story!

in WvW

Posted by: Cayden.4587

Cayden.4587

What is the current score?

Back to Planetside 2 beta. Where 500 v 500 v 500 happens everyday with no invisible armies.

in WvW

Twinbros.5372

Well the good thing about being in 3rd is we get to decide who comes in first and seeing as how Dragon and CD are pretty much working as a team, one of them is gonna get the shaft when we pick who gets to win. So far I’m thinking we should let Dragon win since CD doesn’t seem at all concerned with their lead and is focusing us hardcore. Punish CD for ignoring Dragon and ensure they never make it to 1st.

in WvW

Posted by: Mablung.3519

Mablung.3519

Well the good thing about being in 3rd is we get to decide who comes in first and seeing as how Dragon and CD are pretty much working as a team, one of them is gonna get the shaft when we pick who gets to win. So far I’m thinking we should let Dragon win since CD doesn’t seem at all concerned with their lead and is focusing us hardcore. Punish CD for ignoring Dragon and ensure they never make it to 1st.

That is quitter talk. If this is truly how you feel, if anyone on TC feels this way, dont queue up. Let those who want to continue fighting, ON DAY 2, queue up and get in the fight.

Mablung- Co-Guild leader of Mortis Umbra [MU]

in WvW

Posted by: mifbifgiggle.6713

mifbifgiggle.6713

you’re kidding right? a TON of CD members greatly dislike DB because they supposedly (and evidently) teamed against us 2 weeks ago with JQ. The last server we would team up with would be DB. The only reason CD focuses at all on TC is because they made it seem that they were the bigger threat. We had half of the DB side of EB and then TC took half of ours while we were occupied, so we turned our strategy to holding down TC.

Mr Flintlock, lvl 80 Engineer
Jade Quarry Crusader
rock the elixirs.

(edited by mifbifgiggle.6713)

in WvW

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Yeah, because everyone on Crystal Desert and Dragonbrand had meetings the previous week talking about how we’re going to ignore each other and kill Tarnished Coast, and now we’re all telling our PuGs to ignore each respective server. Not only is it completely logical to double team the weaker server when last time we fought we almost tied, but it’s also obviously realistic to be able to coordinate everyone on both servers.

Right?

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Scorpio Shirica.1286

Scorpio Shirica.1286

I am sure the majority of TC does not share Twinbros’ assessment. I for one, do not.

My only hopes are that rendering becomes fixed during this week’s match, because as a commander who loves tactics… the only counter to the invulnerable loading army I’ve found is to run away, then come back after some loading time with similar numbers (and running away is not a fun tactic). OR to fight from a wall where a mesmer rendering attack can’t work.

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

Remember that this is a thread for everyone to talk about the match civilly. Talk of punishment or whatever, if there has to be any, should probably be left to individuals and PMs if you really want to take it to that. We want this thread to be a place where folks from all servers can talk about the match, not really to be a place to point fingers or anything like that. CD, understandably, wants to take whatever they can to pad against whatever response Dragonbrand musters during their off hours.

We can talk, if we want, about the relative merits of which strategy people enjoy. The notion of focusing on the opponent with less territory makes sense enough. Although, and I’m not just saying this, I do always think that attacking the individual closer to your heels always makes more sense because you rob them of points and take some for your own. It always seems the bigger gain. When you get down to it, it’s a question of effect versus effort, I guess. I always err on the side of effect.

What is the current score?

I missed taking a screenshot because I was in a rush bit but IIRC, DB is pushing towards 24k, CD is at 21, TC 18. I might be off a bit, I haven’t logged back in to check for a bit. It’s competitive enough, to be sure, with CD still in the position to move faster towards Dragonbrand, I believe. And, depending on a few things, for TC to keep in on things. Very least, this showings better than the last match up with da ’Brand.

Although I might suggest that your question is more than just idle curiosity if I’m not going to lie.

(edited by Sharpclaw.7510)

in WvW

Twinbros.5372

That is quitter talk. If this is truly how you feel, if anyone on TC feels this way, dont queue up. Let those who want to continue fighting, ON DAY 2, queue up and get in the fight.

Not really quitter talk as much as it is vengeful talk. Since were being focused on by 2nd place, while they all but ignore 1st then we ensure 2nd doesn’t have a chance either.

in WvW

Twinbros.5372

I am sure the majority of TC does not share Twinbros’ assessment. I for one, do not.

My only hopes are that rendering becomes fixed during this week’s match, because as a commander who loves tactics… the only counter to the invulnerable loading army I’ve found is to run away, then come back after some loading time with similar numbers (and running away is not a fun tactic). OR to fight from a wall where a mesmer rendering attack can’t work.

Not the majority but I’m talking to enough people that it will be effective either way. Plan on ignoring blue and focusing green.

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

Leave it for a less public and more proper thread, fellas. Have this be a place where players can talk about the match and what’s going on without “vengeful talk” or anything like that. That’s not the spirit I want to raise in this thread. Playful jabs and competitive talk, sure?

But let’s leave the stuff best left unsaid, unsaid. You want to talk relatively strategies or anything, go ahead. But you can do that and keep personable.

in WvW

Posted by: Deathcarlyle.6075

Deathcarlyle.6075

I promise there is no alliance at all, All day in Eternal and we have been hitting Db way harder than TC, right now the only place of interest that TC owns and havent really went after is Anzialias

(edited by Deathcarlyle.6075)

in WvW

Posted by: Gofr.5794

Gofr.5794

Score update time. CD been working hard all day to cut down DB’s lead. Not too bad considering they were up by over 3k this morning.

Edit: score is as of roughly 2:45pm EDT.

Attachments:

Gofr, Asura Elementalist;
Garn the Rageblade, Charr Warrior;
Crystal Desert; Member of Crack Clan

(edited by Gofr.5794)

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

DB-26.1K
CD-25.5K
TC- 20.2K

Very interesting stuff so far folks. Really stellar push by CD. TC’s normalizing a bit more too, in terms of potential points. Hopefully some bordland expansion will occur.

Honestly, that’s the most interesting fact of the match so far. I’ve generally seen it where borderlands get fairly well locked down by their owners (comparatively) but the distribution of holdings for servers is all over the place ATM.

in WvW

Posted by: Merendel.7128

Merendel.7128

I’m not sure what happend overnight or in the other battles but from the time of the matchup till around midnight (pst) We on CD homefront had been focusing most of our efforts on holding the north and pushing on bay to try and take that orb from DB. No mater what you think we arn’t working togeather with DB. Asside from slaping back your rushes at cliffside and reclaiming titans and fog while wipeing out the groups that took em we prety much ignored TC unless you guys came up to play where we were fighting DB. Trust me we were very much more anoyed with DB than we were with you thanks to that Tsym guild’s creative use of game mechanics and constantly mesmer portaling invisible armies into our lines. We could counter it but by its nature there’s only a couple seconds to spot the prep and react or you get steamrolled.

Still so far seems a very good fight overall CD hopes to win but well see how things play out once the weekend is over. Last 2 weeks we’ve had severe moral issues after geting so thoroughly curbstomped in the first day or so and were not sure how many folks transfered off in that time. I’m just hopeing for a good solid fight all week long as owning it all or owning nothing both stink.

in WvW

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

Best match up to date for TC.

in WvW

Posted by: Goregash.4952

Goregash.4952

Not the majority but I’m talking to enough people that it will be effective either way. Plan on ignoring blue and focusing green.

Its a shame that dragon will continue to push you deeper into third especially if you show you wont fight back against them.
good luck with your tactic

in WvW

mcl.9240

If there’s anyone on TC not willing to fight for first, kindly get out of WvWvW and let those of us who want to win play.

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

I’m just hopeing for a good solid fight all week long as owning it all or owning nothing both stink.

Yeah, I think we’ve all be on both sides of that equation by this point. I’m hoping that the relative competition persists and that there’s a continued level of good fight. I’ll be diplomatic though when I say that I hope a good defense can be mustered to Dragonbrand’s off hours attacks. By both Coast and Desert.

Granted, we’re seeing this right now in the daytime with CD, and even somewhat with TC working up the potential points chain. But I suppose I’m saying that I rather hope that the spikes don’t become pronounced enough to eventually be the thing that affects the match. Having just come off of the TC/SoS/GoM match, the rubberbanding there was disappointing, I think. Until there finally was a decisive pushback to stifle SoS on a key night.

Who knows? Maybe that’s what’s happening right now with Crystal Desert’s push. They’re going to pass by Dragonbrand in maybe two more point tallies, I think. Still, I’ll be interested to see what happens in the evening though and then in the “off hours”. Because I think some people are right. This is a pretty good match up and hope it stays within the competitive realm.

PS. Sorry. I ramble. I like talking about this stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: Elmy.5201

Elmy.5201

Yeah, Twinbros is completely out of line. No one on TC plays for 2nd, or decides who is going to be first. Besides ourselves. Just another kid with with delusions of the enemy 2v1ing them. There are people like this without fail every new server match up.

in WvW

Posted by: Bunks.5273

Bunks.5273

Twin is dreaming, today we never saw TC until after 8 hours of fighting back DB off our home map. Yes DB, that was me trebbing DB for 3 hours straight.

I will say something that troubled me, is when we took the keep. We saw the same type of bot hacks being used to defend the Lords room. Instant respawns and teleporting by the same few players, over and over again.

in WvW

Posted by: Valca.1234

Valca.1234

Just wanted to share something funny that happened a few hours ago.

DB was knocking on the gate of our green tower while TC was stealthily eating up our wall from the other side. Back then, I was hoping the two would fight it out once they’ve realise that they were so close to each other however, besides a few stray skirmishes from both sides, there wasn’t any all out fight.

Of course, I didn’t stay to see what would happen next.

Attachments:

|House of Wiegrahf|

in WvW

Twinbros.5372

If there’s anyone on TC not willing to fight for first, kindly get out of WvWvW and let those of us who want to win play.

were not gonna win lol, all we can do is decide who gets 1st now.

in WvW

mcl.9240

Twinbros, please log out of WvWvW so TC players dedicated to winning can take your spot.

in WvW

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

I don’t fight for second unless there’s no possible way to get first. And that only happens on Friday at Noon when we’re 100 points behind first place.

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

Fun’s in the fight anyway. I think we can all sort of attest to that. Runaway wins are boring just as much for those on the top as those on the bottom. And until its down to that last second, I think that everyone here (TC, DB, or CD) is going put up a hell of a fight.

in WvW

Posted by: Furienify.5738

Furienify.5738

I’m not finding it terribly fun, as close as the score may be. This matchup might as well be called “Mesmer Portal Exploits: The Game”. I haven’t run into a single guild that isn’t trying to port invisible armies on people.

in WvW

Posted by: Winterwolf.3782

Winterwolf.3782

It’s not an “exploit”, it’s a sound strategy for turning the battle to your favor. Get over it.

Tarnished Coast Rough Riders

in WvW

Posted by: gorgewall.4901

gorgewall.4901

It’s not an “exploit”, it’s a sound strategy for turning the battle to your favor. Get over it.

I don’t care about the “Invisible Mesmer Portal” shenanigans, but I was miffed at this Norn or Human clown in Ad Idem [AI] from DB exploiting onto walls via Mesmer portals last night. Twice I watched this guy on the ground, outside, drop his portal, run up to a wall, then drop the portal ON TOP of the wall from outside and port his forces up and in. It’s bad enough you make 70% of your points when everyone else is asleep, but you’ve got to pull this exploit out the moment you face a force large enough to oppose you? Stay classy, Ad Idem Mesmer Guy.

in WvW

Posted by: LoneWolfie.1852

LoneWolfie.1852

Everything has been reduced to mostly mesmer ports and trebuchet wars. I honestly think it’s time to nerf the portal to carry only a limited people. I.e, 1 person may only go through every 5 seconds.