10/5: Crystal Desert/Dragonbrand/Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Aside from gaining a few more oceanics I think we(TC) are more successful against DB this time around because we have CD to keep them in check overnight with their larger nighttime presence.
When we lost to DB last time it’s because they wracked up a ton of points at night. Mag didnt have a night time crew to hold DB back either. Like in that matchup we are very competitive during our primetime hours but just don’t have the off-peak population to hold on to objectives.
We have gained a few more off-peak players so we’ll have to see how we do against them if we get matched up against them again along with a different server.

Good job TC for coming in 2nd. For the record basically, TC a tier 3 server did better against DB this time another tier 3 server because a tier 2 server CD has a grudge DB because they blame DB for losing so badly to a tier 1 server JQ who is beating HOD right now. Just lolz Ok TC u guys are a good server but just want to get the record strait here. I would love to battle TC again with another tier 3 server in the mix and without the invisible enemy bug. Not because I think we are better just becasue I think it would be a better match up and more fun and I don’t think it would be as nearly as easy for u guys.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

in WvW

Posted by: Sharpclaw.7510

Sharpclaw.7510

It is an odd thing to sort of congratulate another realm and then sort of go: “Well, besides this and this and this…that’s why you won.”

CD outplayed all of us, to be sure. But second was DB’s to lose and TC’s to take. Not CD’s to give out.

in WvW

Warlord.9074

It is an odd thing to sort of congratulate another realm and then sort of go: “Well, besides this and this and this…that’s why you won.”

CD outplayed all of us, to be sure. But second was DB’s to lose and TC’s to take. Not CD’s to give out.

Its not particularly odd no. Just telling it how it is.

in WvW

Posted by: Varathiel.9128

Varathiel.9128

@ Sharpclaw
“CD outplayed all of us, to be sure. But second was DB’s to lose and TC’s to take. Not CD’s to give out.”

Dragonbrand was playing for 1st the entire match and constantly being harassed by TC the entire time. In some cases TC went out of their way to take DB supply camps and towers. I don’t think you were working for CD, but you might as well have been. The whole point to 3 teams is so that 2 and 3 team up when 1 gets a big lead. Instead your server immediately started playing for 2nd and DB began having to fight 2 opponents intent on removing them from the game. It’s this mentality that makes the 3 team system not work.

Aridai Ironwind – 80 Guardian – Souls of Iron (IRON)
Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: mcl.9240

mcl.9240

Actually, we were playing to win too. We didn’t focus on DB supply camps or CD supply camps. We focused on “that supply camp isn’t ours”.

in WvW

Varathiel.9128

When I say out of their way, I mean that between their spawn and our supply camp there is veritable sea of green supply camps for the taking.

The point was that saying 2nd place was someone else’s to lose is detrimental to the 3 team concept.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

After the initial gap was clearly established, I’m not particularly sure that argument holds water. Knowing is and is not feasible is important. Everyone aims for first. But not everyone gets it nor can they always get it if circumstances have already put it out of reach. And CD dug in strong enough that periodic headway against them gained what might as well be considered superficial ground. This is to say nothing about the number of times Coast and ’Brand fought each other for possession of Crystal Desert targets.

Say what we will about the the realm system and how it can act as self regulating check against a runaway win (and it can, we’ve seen it happen) but sometimes the execution of such a thing isn’t possible. Besides, I recall other people here talking about the notion of easy points in terms of DB attacking TC when it was clear they were turning outwards to focus against CD.

Yet, in that case, it never happened. That supposed advantage was never seized or taken advantage of in a meaningful way. On the other hand, as DB faltered, Tarnish Coast did take advantage of that. If the implicit notion is that the lesser two should always go up against the one on top, that’s not really the case under all circumstances.

Everyone plays for first. Sometimes they pause and do it hand in hand. Other times, they do it by marching over the bodies of anyone in the way.

in WvW

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

haha of course we have a night crew! CD has lots of singapore based players:)

Malaysian’s too and a few Auzzies.

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

in WvW

mcl.9240

And let’s not forget that mentions of server alliances get spoken of with about the same amount of distaste as finding half a worm in a half-eaten apple.

in WvW

Varathiel.9128

Sure.

Well, good luck running up the score enough to actually pass us in the rankings. We beat CD by 10-15k when we both lost to JQ and we got dropped a tier because we didn’t start the match close enough to their ranking number. Also, we started the match closer to their rank than TC is to us at the moment.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

Well, good luck running up the score enough to actually pass us in the rankings.

At the end of the day, so long as the fights are fun…I don’t really care about rankings. Sure, a higher number’s nice but really? If you’re still ahead of us, you’re still ahead of us. I’m not going to really lose sleep over it.

in WvW

mcl.9240

^^^ That.

It’s not about ranking. It’s about beating whoever we’re matched against at the time. We’ll worry about the next match when it’s time for the next match.

We try hard and we have fun. We don’t give up. That’s what it’s all about.

in WvW

Posted by: Fury.6248

Fury.6248

Dragonbrand has been instant queues from Wednesday night of the match up against Blackgate. You’ll never see any server stability in rankings to many transfers happening in this game. I actually like it this way though, This is the first time I didn’t have to wait in queue at all entire week not even on the weekend.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

(edited by Fury.6248)

in WvW

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

codiot.6017

He’s a Dragonbrand hacker. He’s using an invisihack to stay almost permanently invisible. He’s become impossible to kill, and is only visible for about one second before completely disappearing.

He’s camping outside Redvale Refuge on the Dragonbrand Borderlands and killing our Dolyaks.

There’s no “Hacking” option under the report window, so I had to report him for botting. I also can’t take a picture (As nothing incriminating would show) and I can’t take a video (Don’t have vidcap).

in WvW

Fury.6248

Sounds like the rendering issue that happened after Oct 7th.. Seriously doubt hes using hacks to go invisible. In fact there’s a giant thread about it currently on the forums might want to check it out.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in WvW

Warlord.9074

Actually, we were playing to win too. We didn’t focus on DB supply camps or CD supply camps. We focused on “that supply camp isn’t ours”.

Thank you for providing our point. Had you guys focused on CD you may have had a chance to come in 1st. We in DB knew that CD was the biggest threat of this match up from the Thursday before the match started. We had intended to primarily focous on CD. Had TC come to grips with that and realized this CD was the biggest threat you guys wouldn’t necessarily came in 2nd and could of been 1st. But your guys just taking things from DB cause its not your strategy cost you the match, as CD had a Vendetta out to get DB from day one as they hate us. So gg guys.

in WvW

Fury.6248

Who really cares who wins and who loses? WvW should be renamed Transfer vs Transfer vs Transfer. Lol, Half the people you play with change per week.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in WvW

Posted by: Chessrook.8643

Chessrook.8643

No Fury, it was definately a hack. Fully visible, he would run towards me and disappear, stab me a few times, reappear for a second, disappear again, etc. He was not targetable while invisible.

I heard reports he was teleporting too, and was seen inside our keep when it wasn’t even being attacked.

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

Had TC come to grips with that and realized this CD was the biggest threat you guys wouldn’t necessarily came in 2nd and could of been 1st.

None of us care about that though. That’ll sound odd so let me explain. Sure we wanted first but more than anything we went into this match wanting to come out of it knowing that we gave a hell of a fight. And we did.

You talk about wanting to win and wanting to be number one and all this and you make such a point to mention all these things. “Crystal Desert beat us. You could have helped us with this. You could have won if..” but it’s all conjecture. Not to mention the real line should be “You could have unwittingly helped us if…”. CD dug in hard. They got that right. They got it really right. That’s a fact. And it limits options. And this idea that if we’d just ignored DB to focus on Crystal Desert and everything would be fine is, to be diplomatic about it, silly.

in WvW

Fury.6248

Why are we even discussing WvW strategy or “goals” ?
Half of every server is a transfer, all the orbs get hacked back and forth and populations change drastically. In fact because of transfers you cant even tell if your server is even getting better or just getting more people. It’s all just speculation and opinions not facts. Just beating a dead cat. Every server does it. An well its just plain pointless. Dragonbrand went from always 20min-3hour queue times the match up before this to instant queues forever. What are people basing these victory’s on? The populations are moving around. Your never playing the same server twice. People have no idea what’s going on with other servers just all speculations.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in WvW

Posted by: Scorpio Shirica.1286

Scorpio Shirica.1286

In the DB borderlands, it just doesn’t make sense to focus on CD while being TC—- it puts you up against their spawn. Taking over DB in the north, on the other hand, it makes perfect sense. Since they are getting hit by both servers, they are the easiest to outflank and maneuver.

As for TC and CD working with each other, it’s only an illusion. We stomped over DB in their own garrison and took it from CD just minutes ago.

However, I’m now convinced I need to start making money… with bugged puzzles, I can no longer provide quite as much siege to the armies I lead.

in WvW

Posted by: Winterwolf.3782

Winterwolf.3782

Thank you for providing our point. Had you guys focused on CD you may have had a chance to come in 1st. We in DB knew that CD was the biggest threat of this match up from the Thursday before the match started. We had intended to primarily focous on CD. Had TC come to grips with that and realized this CD was the biggest threat you guys wouldn’t necessarily came in 2nd and could of been 1st. But your guys just taking things from DB cause its not your strategy cost you the match, as CD had a Vendetta out to get DB from day one as they hate us. So gg guys.

This is utter bs. We spent a good half of the match trying the best we could to avoid DB, making little to no progress against CD because every time we got a few feet deep into CD territory DB hordes started facechecking our structures. I basically spent from Saturday to Tuesday afternoon defending our EB holdings against an endless DB assault. So we finally got fed up with you and decided to repay you in kind, and that means that we played for second? YOU’VE been doing everything in your power to keep us in third, even when it meant losing mass points to CD. And when we finally decided to thank you for your kindness, you guys threw your hands in the air and gave up on the match. I’m totally unimpressed by DB’s performance this week. Your play was sloppy from the very first day, and you have no one to blame for your third place position except for yourselves.

Tarnished Coast Rough Riders

in WvW

Posted by: sceptus.9415

sceptus.9415

The problem you have, Warlord.9074, is your mistaken opinion about TC. You discounted us from the beginning by your own admission because we weren’t a threat. You assumed we were the same server your buddies and you sealed out of all the borderlands during our first meeting while laughing and dancing on our corpses at the border waypoints. TC doesn’t care about being in first place. On the other hand, we are a bloodthirsty bunch of game-addicts who for the most part have honor and, much to our dismay, a little pride. Your server showed its colors during our first meeting, not just wiping us out, but being little kittens about it too. Now you come on here and tell us we weren’t a threat. Your mistake. We only get stronger as the week goes on. Not because of some phony night threat, but because our players have heart and aren’t going to transfer off at the first loss. We lose and we show up the next day. Big whoop. Please dine on our serving of humble pie.

We will be busy dancing and eating cake.

Hern | Sceptus | Vulkus | Colbane
[DIS] and [TTC]
Tarnished Coast

(edited by sceptus.9415)

in WvW

Posted by: Vanity.2506

Vanity.2506

Well said, sceptus. It’s really not about winning for us on Tarnished Coast and I think that’s what people just aren’t getting.

Vanity Lionheart
That which yields is not always weak.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

i’m at GMT+8.

my guild (HAX) and few other guilds within the region (AGGR, EDMW etc) normally active WvWvW from 8pm-2am, when everyone mostly come back home after work, which is our night time= NA early morning…..

that is GMT+8 prime time…. not sure what is NA prime time…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: ravic.3742

ravic.3742

I just want to point out how utterly bad CD players are even with 3 orbs. The trick is the catch them without the zerg

Khaej – 80 Norn Engineer
Ouroboros Protocol [OP] – Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: whiran.1473

whiran.1473

ravic, that’s not fair or true – the majority of CD players when they are trying are extremely strong. Tonight’s festivities in Eternal are a sign (to me) of servers accepting, more or less, where they are.

CD couldn’t break through TC’s defenses so, instead, they took over DB. hahaha

DB players – it’s true what others have said about TC’s attitude towards WvW. The majority (vast?) of our players play WvW to have fun and for ~good fights. We love the struggle of all sides being at full strength and battling it out.

We also have pride in our accomplishments and we love our team. We love our players. We love our RPers. Heck, even our ‘primary’ WvW guilds are starting to become infected by casual RPing. It’s really amusing and entertaining – and it makes WvW that much more enjoyable.

From what I saw tonight of DB, I think the majority (vast?) of DB players have given up on this match. You can try to blame whomever you want and point fingers but, at the end of the day, it’s all about server morale and participation.

Good morale = good participation.

The moment bickering breaks out that team will likely lose. Not to mention the blame game or the excuses.

Even in second place (heck, even when we were in third place) the /team chats of TC were remarkably clear of bickering, name calling, and finger pointing. The players of TC are a mature and incredible bunch.

We had some morale bumps this week – orb hacking early on was a big one but we managed to overcome and pull it together.

Anyway, all that to write: Good match CD!! It’s been a total honor and a pleasure battling it out with you all. Hopefully, we’ll be able to put what we’ve learnt from you to good use next week.

(edited by whiran.1473)

in WvW

Posted by: HenryAu.7523

HenryAu.7523

Good grief, I cannot believe that somebody from DB accused TC of playing for 2nd. Look basically both TC and DB acted like opportunists without any sort of long term plan early on. During the weekend in one of the BLs, we TC were actively beating back CD on our side and were close to breaking through into CD territory multiple times. Whenever we started pushing hard forward DB tried to swoop in from behind for easy pickings. It completely stalled our offenses and the worst was that that particular DB force couldn’t even beat our rearguard before our strike force circle back to flank them. I’m sorry, but back then you were in 2nd place with more holdings than TC. If your commander on that day bothered doing the math, he would’ve realized that TC beating back CD would let him attack CD more freely and would’ve let DB get closer towards first place.

Now I’m not going to say it’s entirely DB’s fault because it’s not. TC also ran around and grabbed whatever looked easy. Sure enough it didn’t take long before CD was the clear winner with DB and TC beating each other senseless. So all the fighting afterwards was just for fun. I mean some of our commanders are leading hilariously suicidal missions for LoLs. We are just having a blast doing whatever.

(edited by HenryAu.7523)

in WvW

Posted by: darknessproz.8209

darknessproz.8209

Just wanted to get a word in.

It has been an awesome match this week. TC is REALLY tough when they have their players on. Awesome fights all round.

Most notable scenes? The countless times where we lost a territory, only to have DB and TC fighting over it. Great fun!

in WvW

Posted by: Felidire.2861

Felidire.2861

Dragonbrand was playing for 1st the entire match and constantly being harassed by TC the entire time. In some cases TC went out of their way to take DB supply camps and towers. I don’t think you were working for CD, but you might as well have been. The whole point to 3 teams is so that 2 and 3 team up when 1 gets a big lead. Instead your server immediately started playing for 2nd and DB began having to fight 2 opponents intent on removing them from the game. It’s this mentality that makes the 3 team system not work.

TC was playing for first, right up until the point that we realized the odds of us walking away with 1st palce was highly improbable. (That was about half way through the match, so by no means did we “immediately” play for 2nd.

in the EB: Days 1-3, CD applied constant pressure to spend/anz, while DB repeatedly hit org/pang/speld; the fighting was mostly 1:1:1 while each server assessed and tested the others, and it took a while for things to stabilize (which is why SM was initially a fight between blue/green – DB and CD fought over it constantly, and TC mostly waited for an opportunity to sneak in, wipe everyone and steal it from both sides; we had too much pressure on either front to be able to do much else.)

Also, a lot of TC naturally dislikes DB – For example, if I see a guy from DB and CD fighting in the jump puzzle, I shoot the DB in the back of the head and then just walk right past the other guy. (It’s by no means an alliance of any sort, just read this next quote.)

Your server showed its colors during our first meeting, not just wiping us out, but being little kittens about it too.

DB has an extremely poor sense of sportsmanship. It became apparent to a lot of us the first time around, and I don’t really feel that much has changed on their end come this match-up.

I just want to point out how utterly bad CD players are even with 3 orbs. The trick is the catch them without the zerg

They were probably all level 15’s.

Most of the CD guys i’ve bumped into have been fair-to-great players, regardless of orbs. If I see one going 1 on 1 with someone from my server, then I sit back and watch how things play out; if a second CD guy decides to join in, then it’s time for me to smack some face! (This usually ends in a 2v3, but it’s still pretty fun.)

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

I don’t even think it’s a matter of that. I mean, there’s a substantive gap right (~23,000) now but I’m never one to assume that things are over. DB could make an amazing finish. It’s possible. At least, I think so. It’d require a lot but unless there’s not enough hours left, it’s possible.

in WvW

Winterwolf.3782

Tsym is currently leading an exodus of organized WvW guilds from DB to SoS. It looks like DB is out of this race.

in WvW

Posted by: Thorgrum.4679

Thorgrum.4679

in the EB: Days 1-3, CD applied constant pressure to spend/anz, while DB repeatedly hit org/pang/speld; the fighting was mostly 1:1:1 while each server assessed and tested the others, and it took a while for things to stabilize (which is why SM was initially a fight between blue/green – DB and CD fought over it constantly, and TC mostly waited for an opportunity to sneak in, wipe everyone and steal it from both sides; we had too much pressure on either front to be able to do much else.)

CD player here, this seems about right based on my observation.

DB has an extremely poor sense of sportsmanship.

I cant speak for an entire server but Im confident more then a few people from CD feel the same way.

Most of the CD guys i’ve bumped into have been fair-to-great players, regardless of orbs.

Again cant speak for an entire server but based on what I observed in CD chats, a lot of us found TC people to be good players too. Certainly a solid server with good performance at peak times. Some more population and a tier jump wouldnt be out of the realm.

Good luck, see you on the field.

in WvW

Posted by: Eurlin.4256

Eurlin.4256

We have the absolute worst sense of sportsmanship. It’s the blame game all day on chat, most players don’t want to bother because they don’t want to try. So they’ll blame everyone else instead of playing everyday. No one likes to lose….but someone will. If you don’t try it’s going to be you. IF Tsym is taking all the organized guilds off Dragonbrand I say good riddance, half of them gave up after day 2 anyways.

No such thing as server pride on this game with the transfers, but I’d happily stay and try my best to put Dragonbrand back in a good light instead of running away.

Commander Eurlin [VNG]
www.vengeanceclan.com
Sanctum of Rall Server

(edited by Eurlin.4256)

in WvW

Posted by: Rezna.4057

Rezna.4057

Man last night was a great battle. We on TC in EB started blasting DB off the map. We held Durios, Brav and Dragonbrand Valley(wrong name maybe). We were also pushing on CD territory bit by bit at the same time. We then slowly proceeded to bash in Langor and QL, DB didn’t even put up a fight for it. (To be fair CD was smashing DB from the QL side at the same time we were taking DB Valley) But eventually we pushed both sides out for a while.

Then out of no where CD shows up with a huge zerg of I want to say at least 50 players and starts train wrecking DB Valley. Suddenly we were defending DB territory from both DB and CD zerg’s. I’ve no idea why but CD saved that land from our graps, I think we could have held that most of the night. CD ended up pushing us back into Ogrewatch, meanwhile DB reclaimed all of their stuff right behind them….

Maybe this is a big CD strategy? Make sure one side doesn’t capture too much so the other team can help them maintain control of the map, not sure. Either way it was a pretty brutal fight…. lol minus not being able to see any of the players slinging aoe on me like mad.

in WvW

Posted by: Lewzephyr.5281

Lewzephyr.5281

From CD here. I just want to say this has been a very fun week in WvWvW.
No, not because of our score, but due to the real challenges provided by our foes from the other servers.
I have looked forward to getting on and finding targets of opportunity. Many times to be pushed back, and others to achieve the goal.

Thanks DB and TC for the fun week.

Putting the laughter back into Slaughter!!!!!

in WvW

Fury.6248

Just like to point out a lot of the above posts like to twist things around and say we are winning cause we pull together an fight.. we are winning cause we never quit and we struggle to keep fighting. Dragonbrand got crushed cause like 60% of the population left. Out manned buffs on the weekends.. Instant queues 24/7 no commanders running around anymore. Sorry but if any of you are playing to get some sort of revenge the server your looking to beat left a long time ago.

After the mass transfer to Blackgate that gave them the win. Majority of WvW players from Dragonbrand packed up and moved servers. I am sure Dragonbrand will get bumped down another two tiers its a ghost town. But please stop pretending that there is something other then population inside WvW that decides who wins it’s getting old and to many people ignore the real facts. People transfer to HoD they have insane queues they win, people transfer to JQ they get insane queues they win, It’s not skill in WvW no matter how many times people post it.. Population is #1 factor.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in WvW

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

Summed things up ^ but ppl like to think highly of themselves SPECIALLY when it’s not the case, so don’t expect to much understanding. Let them live in their universe.

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

“Skill” is probably a misnomer. Some degree of strategy is involved, even if it is just organizing commanders to cover specific zones. Some servers have even drawn up certain conditional plans. I believe DB tried this one, something like an “If X than Y” sort of thing but I might be getting the server wrong.

Now, by no means will I suggest that is the ONLY thing that wins a match but forethought and also the ability to think in the moment matters. But you’re right, numbers do too. TC’s had people transfer to SoS. Sorrow’s seems to be the place where people who don’t want to just transfer to transfer to a T1 server are congregating in the hopes to make one. Which they very well might do.

So, if what people are saying is true, I wouldn’t doubt that DB was affected by a population issue (which is also a morale issue) but there’s other aspects to it that to ignore would be disingenuous, I think. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be hearing talks about implicit collusion or as many justifications for end of the match slippage.

Now, again, I’m sure it was a lot of things. And that some TC folks will probably make this out to be something that was just about how great they were or whatever. But I’m also confident that there were more factors than, say, this or that and that and this single reason.

Heck, to deny that Dragonbrand played well would be a lie as well. I think everyone played well. And I think this has been, possibly, my favorite match yet.

in WvW

Posted by: Guppy.2753

Guppy.2753

It was a tough, close fight on the opening weekend, and a fun challenge. I couldn’t tell who was going to win. Then, like usual, one server pulls ahead a bit and the more casual players take a morale hit and disappear.

I’m on Crystal Desert, and I don’t think the current score reflects how close the match really was before the morale tipping point.

I miss the days when my server’s opponents would stand in a convenient clump right underneath the boiling oil pot, hammering on the fortress gate while I dropped grenades on their heads. TC and DB were much more tricksy.

in WvW

Winterwolf.3782

CD beats both TC and DB in late night / early morning coverage by an extreme margin. I’m not taking anything away from CD’s primetime crew, because they are a beast of an opponent to face on their own. But the huge gap in points between CD and TC / DB can be attributed to the simple fact that both have an absolutely tiny morning presence. When CD is riding 600+ for a good eight hours a day, every day, the winner of the match is pretty much predetermined. And that’s fine, that’s part of the game. It just seems to be something that a lot of CD players seem unaware of.

in WvW

Posted by: Rin.2094

Rin.2094

Hey TC, thank you for the great match this week. I was always happy when I was able to log on to see that you guys didn’t break or give up and always tried to fight back. Although I sorta feel bad for only killing TC players this week, as an ex-TC player(had to move since all friends were on CD)…it has been fun none the less.

Crystal Desert — Keepers of the heart (Koth)

in WvW

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

This has been a fun, if frustrating matchup. While playing against CD I’ve decided they must be channeling the risen in Orr. They totally fight with that mindset. It’s crazy to watch them, especially when you are outnumbered by them. However, the Coast does not give up. We might be beaten but we always rally in the end.

in WvW

Posted by: Ren.6351

Ren.6351

I’m a CD Oceanic player and I’m quite glad that there is a decent number of people to fight with. Last time against ET and IoJ my guild and I would walk into 1:3 odds and generally get faceraped. Though I found it a bit saddening at around wednesday when most of the DB and TC people in the borderlands (assigned to fight in the BL’s) disappeared (though i think this is due to the lack of off peak players). Nonetheless, thanks to DB and TC for putting up a great fight (especially in EBG, been asked to send in help there everyday during the starting period)! Hope to fight yáll again

Blackgate – Guardian – Leaxanna
Leader of Presence [Awe] – Awevival? :D

in WvW

Fury.6248

“Skill” is probably a misnomer. Some degree of strategy is involved, even if it is just organizing commanders to cover specific zones. Some servers have even drawn up certain conditional plans. I believe DB tried this one, something like an “If X than Y” sort of thing but I might be getting the server wrong.

Now, by no means will I suggest that is the ONLY thing that wins a match but forethought and also the ability to think in the moment matters. But you’re right, numbers do too. TC’s had people transfer to SoS. Sorrow’s seems to be the place where people who don’t want to just transfer to transfer to a T1 server are congregating in the hopes to make one. Which they very well might do.

So, if what people are saying is true, I wouldn’t doubt that DB was affected by a population issue (which is also a morale issue) but there’s other aspects to it that to ignore would be disingenuous, I think. Otherwise, we wouldn’t be hearing talks about implicit collusion or as many justifications for end of the match slippage.

Now, again, I’m sure it was a lot of things. And that some TC folks will probably make this out to be something that was just about how great they were or whatever. But I’m also confident that there were more factors than, say, this or that and that and this single reason.

Heck, to deny that Dragonbrand played well would be a lie as well. I think everyone played well. And I think this has been, possibly, my favorite match yet.

If Dragonbrand showing up for 1 1/2days(Half of Friday and a full day on Saturday) is the best weeks match you have had that really sucks. Myself being on Dragonbrand have been in countless weeks where it was a non stop battle.. but this week was clearly not one of them. Dragonbrand is a no show. You basically played against random pugs/night crew peeps an that’s it. We are currently at the lowest amount of WvW players from release date till now hardly a “battle”.

Dragonbrand Server
Devious(DVS)

in WvW

Posted by: Swag.4923

Swag.4923

Any servers seeing queues at all? I’ve been popping around between zones in prime time (U.S. Eastern) and have never had to wait in a queue as a Dragonbrand player.

Are WvW population caps static (set number per server per zone) or dynamic (cap based on highest pop server in the zone)?

in WvW

Posted by: Swag.4923

Swag.4923

While we (DB Borderlands) always seemed outnumbered in most fights, it only really became an issue in defense. When we grouped up to attack it went well, when we grouped up to defend it went well, but we failed miserably at covering multiple objectives, defending supply camps and even defending the Garrison for much of the past week (though a few of those garrison losses have been…sketchy…to say the least. The 5-golem attack was pretty cool tho)

There has also been a noticeable lack of investment in offensive/defensive siege engines and upgrades, though much of that could be due to inconsistent/lack of supply in addition to players (myself included) simply not wanting to throw money away on WvW. I’d imagine that 1% of players are filthy rich while 99% are dirt poor.

I’ve also noticed several individual/groups of farm bots (usually at the centaurs) and there was even a guy in chat the other night who said he goes to WvW just to craft so he doesn’t have to pay to port to Lion’s Arch. Pretty safe to say that DB, as an organized force, is completely out of this fight and just waiting for reset.

in WvW

Posted by: Viktorgraves.1824

Viktorgraves.1824

Any servers seeing queues at all? I’ve been popping around between zones in prime time (U.S. Eastern) and have never had to wait in a queue as a Dragonbrand player.

TC has had at least a ten minute queue every night I try to get in, often longer. But, as this thread has hopefully illustrated, we don’t give up when we’re behind. This is a week long battle and we’re in it for the whole week.

in WvW

Posted by: Felidire.2861

Felidire.2861

I had a few queues on TC during the first 2 days, I had to wait 45 minutes in one case; I hated it! No queues during the last 4 days for me though, and we’ve also had the outmanned buff popping up for us pretty kitten frequently. (I’m oceanic, so I guess that stands to reason.)

I’m guessing it allows a certain (fixed) number of people to join, (say 40-50), and then something like 10-20 more than the server with the lowest population? shrugs

Also, I just had a fun time testing out an experimental ranger build against an Ele from CD about an hour ago. 10 solid minutes of smacking eachother about. S/he kept on ducking inside of SM through the kitten teleporter on the east-side wall, Then suddenly.. there’s 3 people hitting me… 4 people hitting me… “Whoa, $#!^ – time to run!!” I blow CotW/RaO, do a 180º LR, whip out the greatsword and then swoop the hell out of there! XD

…They gave up one hell of a chase, too!

in WvW

Sharpclaw.7510

If Dragonbrand showing up for 1 1/2days(Half of Friday and a full day on Saturday) is the best weeks match you have had that really sucks. Myself being on Dragonbrand have been in countless weeks where it was a non stop battle.. but this week was clearly not one of them. Dragonbrand is a no show. You basically played against random pugs/night crew peeps an that’s it. We are currently at the lowest amount of WvW players from release date till now hardly a “battle”.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t note the sour tone of your post, Fury.6248 and while I cannot account for everything on your side of the fence, I’d appreciate that you at least keep up the pretenses of civility. I’ll try to do the same when talking to you. Try, that is.

Dragonbrand did well enough and held for a considerable time, so to call them a “no show” rings of an excuse to me. Dedicated players of your server played hard; that is, if I am to understand, the one’s who didn’t give up. I am sure you were among them.

I’m going with Swag’s word here though, since they appear more on the level and honest. DB was effective on the attack but faltered upon the defense, which hurt them in the long term. And he has a huge point about the costs of WvW. If can get pricey at times. That happens to every server, I think. Fortifying keeps and making sure they’re manned with what they need is costly and there ought to be a way to use badges for upgrades and not just siege equipment.

As to your talk of being outnumbered, I spent a large investment of my time in Crystal Desert’s borderlands this match as that was what I generally decided was my area of focus (ceding to any commanders that showed up and running my own smaller squad of volunteers for smaller attacks). We too, because of the hours, were “Outmanned”. We got the buff as well. But we didn’t see it and say “We have to quit.” It was generally taken as a sign to fight harder.

I’ll be blunt. I like Crystal Desert, even the ones I gave some competitive ribbing to during the match and the ones I just chatted with casually. I like the Dragonbrand player that I conversed with throughout this as well. But reading a post like yours? Doesn’t warm me to you. Magnanimity is a fair virtue to have. And I mean it when I complement your server’s playing in this match and CD’s. If you do not have the good grace to accept that, well, that’s really just your problem. Isn’t it?

The bottom line is that I had fun. Which is good because it’s a game. And I think I owe a lot of that fun to the fine players of your server and Crystal Desert.