3.26 - The Day WvW Alts Died

in WvW

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

This morning I hopped into EB to discover we were outmanned and with no commander. We held zero objectives and oddly someone had left about 6 omega golems parked at spawn.

So we gathered what troops we could, manned the golems, selected a suitable target…and sat. And sat and sat and sat. You see, there were no mesmers to safely port our golems to the tower and no one wanted to hop on an alt because ranks are character bound. How sad. So we went back to throwing our bodies at the gate because at least we won’t have an armor repair bill (which is actually quite nice).

Please give us player progression and scrap the character progression. It’s player vs player after all.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

(edited by Beorn Saxon.4762)

in WvW

Posted by: tagnut.8621

tagnut.8621

Really – people are not using alts because they’ll miss out on being able to carry 1 more supply or take 1% less siege damage?

Really?

wx kitten o utterly underwhelming and nigh on pointless that i don’t even bother checking it. Anyone playing for wxp – well I’m not allowed to suggest they’re buffons but you join up the dots.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Nobody cares. And in other news… Zergs still not tackled by devs.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Beorn Saxon.4762

Have you not seem all the wxp threads? What’s the highest rank? What lines should we level first? The wxp race is on wether you ignore it or not. Wether it’s underwhelming or not. It’s the first bone Anet has thrown our way.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

Just go with the flow, man.
You know, one of the devs even praised the player with the highest rank lvl (lvl 30).

Keep playing one character.
Forget about alts.
Forget about defending.
Get to the highest rank ASAP.
You know what I mean~

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: tagnut.8621

tagnut.8621

Have you not seem all the wxp threads? What’s the highest rank? What lines should we level first? The wxp race is on wether you ignore it or not. Wether it’s underwhelming or not. It’s the first bone Anet has thrown our way.

wxp will make no noticable difference to anyones performance in wvw

Its like complaining that dyes are character specific.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Forget about defending.

Over to you, Arenanet!

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

Lol that’s the dumbest reason for not switching that I’ve ever heard xD
I switch between my Necro and Warrior and they are both rank 5. Big deal, seriously. I think the leveling is excellent. Just because people are spoiled doesn’t mean the system should change <3
I’ve played for 2 days and am already rank 5 with 2 characters. In other words, it adds up fast – just keep doing what you’ve always been doing.

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

in WvW

Posted by: deracs.1762

deracs.1762

Worrying about your rank vs having fun playing is the player issue not Anets. Alts are one of the ways MMO’s keep players playing. From leveling to gearing, to fractal rank, to Wxp rank. If one toon’s achievments counted for all alts all the time people would get bored that much faster and stop playing. It is the player choosing not to have fun for a pretty minor aspect of the overall game

in WvW

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

Josh! Seriously people need to review their motivations for playing wvw if the wexp is all that matters. If that happened in map chat in my server I would start raging. It’s just people being idiots, not the systems fault.

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

in WvW

Beorn Saxon.4762

Josh! Seriously people need to review their motivations for playing wvw if the wexp is all that matters. If that happened in map chat in my server I would start raging. It’s just people being idiots, not the systems fault.

I <3 you Toby.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Quote:
wxp will make no noticable difference to anyones performance in wvw

Its like complaining that dyes are character specific unquote…

Try 25% extra damage using a ballista- ‘no noticable difference’ ? And that is from a dev stating the tooltip is incorrect when it says 2%.

Add on the other features and yes, it makes a real difference between playing one toon and being able to switch mains, all due to Anet thinking people actually want to have to repeat everything multiple times to achieve the same thing ten times and in the meantime be playing a less useful toon.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in WvW

Posted by: IDarko.4709

IDarko.4709

I would defy prefer it to be account bound. Enough ranks to last a life time anyways. I remember how alt-friendly this game was but not anymore imo.

Btw, that dev never praised the highest lvl dude but just confirmed that he was the highest ranked player atm. Nothing wrong with that.

Honestly, the patch was more the day that small skirmishes died even more. Blobs/zergs everywhere and it’s getting boring real fast.

Dius Vanguard [DiVa]
Gandara – WvW Warrior

in WvW

Beorn Saxon.4762

Why not make ranks account bound, and the wvw skill points an account bound currency that you can only spend once, like laurels and dungeon tokens. They aren’t giving you ‘real’ skills anyhow. They are passive stats more similar to armor stats and accessory stats that tokens and laurels buy.

If pvp’ers aren’t forced to rank up every profession, I don’t understand why WvWers should be, other than just for the sake of grind.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Beorn Saxon.4762

But they are reacting exactly the way anet intended them to. Anet put in this system to reward players to stick to one alt, so what do you expect?

PvP ranks/armor/weapons can be earned no matter what alt you are on.

Dungeon tokens can be earned no matter what alt you are on.

Laurels can be earned no matter what alt you are on.

WvW skill points…nah, character based.

The game used to reward you for playing how you liked to play, and have alts for certain jobs wasn’t penalized, not so much anymore.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

That’s a pretty sad story, I still level all my alts in WvW, sorry you guys are so concerned about missing out on an extra 1% siege damage.

in WvW

Beorn Saxon.4762

That’s a pretty sad story, I still level all my alts in WvW, sorry you guys are so concerned about missing out on an extra 1% siege damage.

Laugh all you want, but it’s the wvw version of ascended items. Except you can at least earn your laurels on any toon in PvE.

And apparently the tool tip is incorrect, the 2% dmg should actually read 25% dmg. That’s another users quote, personally, I’d like a link to where the dev said that, but it doesnt change the fact that the ranks and abilities were put in to give something to work on, and that’s exactly what they are doing.

And now a wvw noob can have a higher wvw rank than you bc you use alts.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Nah man, they’re missing out on that 1 siege point, because that 1 siege makes a difference when building a cata, right? Right?! RIGHT?! Oh wait, no, it really doesn’t.

in WvW

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

I don’t see why this is an issue. Half the time I want to get on a piece of siege it’s already taken (any siege, not just ballistas and cannons). It’s not like they buffed WvW so you need the buffs to remain competitive.

Zerg fights – balling up and sticking to a commander with good leadership (numbers also help) wins the fights.
1vX or small group fights – none of the buffs matter.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Most of the time I die 1vX is because a Guard is hitting me. Of course, I’m not even going to bother spending any of my rank points until they add more stuff, but that’s just my 2 cents on that.

in WvW

Beorn Saxon.4762

Just hunted it down, dmg bonus is 25% at tier 2, not 2%.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Cannon-and-Ballista-Mastery-Incorrect-Tooltip/first#post

And for the record, I’m not saying these abilities be account wide, just that the currency be account wide so you can spend it on any toon, same as dungeon tokens and laurels.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: Yams.6082

Yams.6082

Most of the time I die 1vX is because a Guard is hitting me. Of course, I’m not even going to bother spending any of my rank points until they add more stuff, but that’s just my 2 cents on that.

I agree that it does help, but I don’t believe it matters in the sense that if someone couldn’t fight an NPC guard and an enemy player before, getting a 5% damage reduction bonus won’t change that. Nevertheless I should qualify my statement to say that “buffs do not make a material difference in 1vX fights.”

As a quick aside, picking the location for your fights is just as important as knowing your class/opponent’s class/build etc. For example, when I face an X/D thief, I lead the fight away from areas with mobs. If the NPC guards are a nuisance, moving away from their aggro range solves that problem. Most people get tunnel vision and will chase you.

Yams One/Two/Three/Four/Five/Six
SBI

in WvW

Posted by: ErlendR.6107

ErlendR.6107

Keep playing one character.
Forget about alts.
Forget about defending.
Get to the highest rank ASAP.
You know what I mean~

If anet say that, must be fun, ill do it
-.-

Proud ex-Kaineng T8 best server ever vs DR & FC
FC
Retired

in WvW

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

This surprises you? The WvW skill system follows the Skinner Box theory. We have whole games build for countless hours of mindlessly grinding for only small upgrades. And people play it by the millions.
Utterly meaningless rewards aswell, since every new content patch/expansion all that progression is wiped clear and you have to start all over. Got any idea what game i am hinting at yet?

Well that thing, the mechanic and design, that makes that appealing is the same theory applied in essence to how the WXP system works. Wether intentional or not, its a system that conditions people to grind for small upgrades at far spread, yet steady, intervals.

Its why i thoroughly think its a very bad system, its lazy game design, that merely sells the illusion of being engaging.

in WvW

Posted by: Mirage.2597

Mirage.2597

ROFLMAO 1% siege damage , I’m not going spend any wvw skill points they are all a joke maybe in a year they might be worth some thing like my 5k badges , but then again every rvr wvv mmorpg has shot them selfs in the foot a year in and we move on to the next game

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

But they are reacting exactly the way anet intended them to. Anet put in this system to reward players to stick to one alt, so what do you expect?

That doesn’t mean that players aren’t being stupid. It just means that ANet is stupid also for having put something in WvW that undermines WvW. Lots of people here saw this coming … ANet apparently didn’t.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Moddo.7105

Moddo.7105

This is one of the most pathetic things I have ever heard.

Then you have lived a really sheltered life. if someone posting on a game forum is one of the most pathetic things you have ever heard.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

That doesn’t mean that players aren’t being stupid. It just means that ANet is stupid also for having put something in WvW that undermines WvW. Lots of people here saw this coming … ANet apparently didn’t.

But wait…if I recall, aren’t the ranks shared across EVERY CHARACTER ON YOUR ACCOUNT? If so, then how the hell is it killing the use of alts, if every kill you get regardless of character you’re playing helps fill the exact same bar?

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Waffler.1257

Waffler.1257

But wait…if I recall, aren’t the ranks shared across EVERY CHARACTER ON YOUR ACCOUNT? If so, then how the hell is it killing the use of alts, if every kill you get regardless of character you’re playing helps fill the exact same bar?

Are you drunk?

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

LOL. Recall again …

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Its character bound…

PvP ranks however are account bound. Why on earth they decided to add what is effectly PvP ranks (with bonuses) to WvW and flip the whole system is beyond me.

Either way, I agree. This has killed alts and produced a kittenload of zergs. Oh I still take my alts into WvW at times to level a little, but I keep thinking “Why did I choose this? I have many ranks on my main already and I need many more to get supps, this get me nothing!”

in WvW

Posted by: Rawr.5930

Rawr.5930

I believe this is just before reset?

Might explain the lack of numbers and motivation.

Meega Kweesta

in WvW

Posted by: kuora.5402

kuora.5402

WvW ranks can kiss my bottom anyway, they’re not worth anything.

¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸
[Aia] Amoria- The guild of pleasant love
¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸ ¸ . ø ¤ º ° º ¤ ø . ¸

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiem.8297

Kaiem.8297

@moddo I was talking within the context of the game tbh but maybe I should of actually written that rather than leave myself open to trolling. Good contribution to the discussion though mate.

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Making the award of WXP character-bound, instead of account-bound is an uncharacteristic mistake by ArenaNet. (Spending should be account-bound).

This was supposed to be the “play your way” game that does not shoehorn you into one class roll. But by their own admission, this system does just that.

It’s not too late to change it.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: Venereus.9473

Venereus.9473

I’ve already decided that a month from now, I’ll gauge player skill as inversely proportional to WXP rank. I have a Commander Warrior, a scout-built Thief and like playing other alts too. “Legend” you say? I say obvious zergling with no WvW know-how.

in WvW

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

Thread closed.

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Are you drunk?

I was mistaken. Didn’t see the actual notes on it until this morning, but that’s because I was busy the last couple of days to. I know, massive fail on my part.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

in WvW

Posted by: Ungood.3054

Ungood.3054

Nobody cares. And in other news… Zergs still not tackled by devs.

This makes the assumption something is wrong with zergs. Some people (not me) actually like running in them.

^This

They are not going to fix something that is not inherently broke.

back to the Topic:

I have 2 Characters, 1 for WvW and 1 for PvE. Since PvE builds do not transfer well to WvW and vice versa, it is just the way I ended up playing.

To each their own on that.

Every Lifelong Journey Ends With a Gravestone.
Born and Raised in Eredon Terrace

in WvW

Posted by: zen.6091

zen.6091

It’s not that big of a deal but creating alts in general is still far, far too difficult and time consuming. I would really like to have a mesmer for WvW but don’t want to drop a whole week of my free time on it + time for the gold too (already have 3 toons)…so pretty much been playing less and less since anet is clearly moving towards more restrictive rather than less.