3/27/2015 WvW report on Unplayable Skill Lag

in WvW

Posted by: ualgh.1832

ualgh.1832

Please realize this is an unofficial report, and I hope I don’t get infracted. I will not be reviewing past reports in order to update them in the future in order to add certain concerns or ideas that the community feels needs to be added.

Next Weeks Topic: Probably skill lag because it’s currently the most pressing issue in WvW.

Please feel free to give feedback on this report, and ideas for next weeks topic.
Cheers!

Issue: Skill Lag

Thread links:
(1) https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-is-so-lagy/first#post3706760
(2) https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Can-we-get-a-response-about-the-Lag
(3) https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Recent-Ability-Lag-in-Borderlands
(4) https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Extreme-Lag-in-Tier-1-Even-without-fights

I linked these threads due to the amount of “urgency because the game is unplayable” feeling that is present. Below you will see quotes from different users that I’ve found to be the most enlightening on the subject of balance when matching up servers in WvW.

• xev.9476 “Another night of logging off, I guess. I just tried attacking something in EBG and, even with an in-range enemy targeted, my projectiles were not only delayed, but the graphic showed them hitting the ground, not the target. This isn’t regular lag, it’s weird warping lag.”
• phil.1870 “Big fight in JQ bay tonight. So, I decided to roam around and hit camps to avoid the lag. When trying to take a camp I could not activate a skill when the fight was taking place in bay.”
• Mahga.6123 “…what worries me most isn’t the lag but your down right refusal to even remotely address this issue!”

-Popular ideas-
A) Fix the lag.
B) Fix the lag.
C) Fix the lag.
D) Fix the lag.
E) Fix the lag.

Based on the communities responses approximately: (posts on subject)
100.00% of the community wants the lag to be fixed

Based on the statistics above, it can be postulated that fixing the lag is really important.

follow me on IG @yung_anime

in WvW

Posted by: Chronos.1046

Chronos.1046

This is quite a long post, too many statistics, too many comments, too many issues for A-net to fathom, so naturally they will ignore it (also because this is the WvW section).

So let me just “too long didn’t read” shorten it for the devs, community managers, wvw admins and all the rest that don’t listen to us.

FIX THE LAG

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

I love idea A, but idea B seems a little off. C’s been tried before, and D never worked. As for E they never got around to doing that.

in WvW

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Anet has to acknowledge that the problem exists before it gets fixed, As they are ignoring every single thread that has been created regarding the Lag/Skill Delay in WvW then presume that it’s going to be a long wait.

in WvW

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

Fix the lag please. Or you know, here’s a idea, revert the stability changes!
Less stab stack calculations, less laggy servers.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in WvW

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

Yesterday I was mining a platinum node in eb, while it was very laggy. About 5 minutes later, I passed the node again and finally saw the mining animation of my mining tool pop on the node.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

in WvW

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

They will never fix the lag because then they will have to admit that the stab changes are behind the lag and that because of that, they probably can’t fix the lag at all.

For the record, when I tried to wvw after the patch I experienced the worst lag I have ever experienced in wvw over the entire lifespan of this game, and it did not get better over the next few weeks. I couldn’t even switch weapons and the kicker was that I would just be dead after a while in an area I never ran to. Game breaking much?

Wrekks/Wrekts

in WvW

Posted by: Safari.3021

Safari.3021

Skill lag is horrific since the last patch (stab change), I just ran around with 40+ fps, 48 average ping with all 5 weapon skills icons flashing at me doing nothing.

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

You don’t like to have a ~2v2 fight in wvw while lagging?
Then you shouldn’t play a game in alpha like this one
Or we’re in beta now? O.o

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Posted by: zerosouls.4750

zerosouls.4750

Two blobs are fighting in SM — still can’t pop my skills back at keep. RIP

Oh yea — can someone explain to me how stab can create lag? I was on TS listening to the map channel talk about the lag and they were saying something like multiple maps, stab change, etc.. wasn’t really following..

(edited by zerosouls.4750)

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

Oh yea — can someone explain to me how stab can create lag? I was on TS listening to the map channel talk about the lag and they were saying something like multiple maps, stab change, etc.. wasn’t really following..

Server lagg and stability:
With the stability stacks, the server has to “count them”, checking if a CC removed one, checking if each individual stack expired, dunno what else has to do now with more things than before the patch.
Back in the day when they were still communicating with us they said that they can’t increase the 5 man cap (and even made the cap for the same reason) as otherwise the server couldn’t handle the big fights, as without the 5 man cap each AoE skill (and we have almost only AoE/cleaving attacks in a zerg) could hit all the enemy blob, so the server must check all the area of the attack, and can’t stop after the first 5.. Or something like that, can’t remember the details and the forum engine is still broke- sorry, working as intended

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Posted by: Aaron.4807

Aaron.4807

I am not an expert but the gist of it was before the client only had to keep track of how much time left everyone had for stab which was pretty uniform if you were in a coordinated party. Now, the game has to keep track of just how many stacks each individual has at any given second you are out there, up to 25 and down. That is just a ton more info the server is receiving per second than what it used to be which in turn causes the server to lag with that overload of information.

Wrekks/Wrekts

in WvW

Posted by: Vinegaroon.4369

Vinegaroon.4369

i was in a zerg for 5 mins and had the same lag as described. I just logged and played something else.

in WvW

Posted by: aquabat.2986

aquabat.2986

I haven’t come across any lag in T1 or 2, roaming for blobbing, that proved to be crippling to gameplay. There was some a couple of days ago for a little while in a 3 way map queue fight but it was nothing more than weird minor lag that didn’t really stop me from doing what I needed to do.

in WvW

Posted by: derekgrant.6504

derekgrant.6504

Can we please get an acknowledgement the issue is being looked at. WvW is almost unplayable on a T1 server.

in WvW

Posted by: gebrechen.5643

gebrechen.5643

I haven’t come across any lag in T1 or 2, roaming for blobbing, that proved to be crippling to gameplay. There was some a couple of days ago for a little while in a 3 way map queue fight but it was nothing more than weird minor lag that didn’t really stop me from doing what I needed to do.

tldr: As long as it doesn’t affect myself it is not a problem at all.

Some people die on epidemic, other have skill.
- great warlord Waha of Sea 2981bc

in WvW

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

Two blobs are fighting in SM — still can’t pop my skills back at keep. RIP

It’s not even tied to SM fights like it used to before the patch. Now it happens on the BLs as well: somewhere orange crosses pops out and everything just stops, no skills can be used, dollies are twitching and they are moving in slowmotion. Doesn’t even matter if you are right next to the big fight or on the opposite side of the map.

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Lag is horrible… it has been worse since patch

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Posted by: BATMAN.6794

BATMAN.6794

A lot of the issue is yes servers need to be fixed, but it happens because there are so many people in 1 area of a map at the same time. We as a community need to spread ourselves out down into tiers 3,4,5,6,7, and 8. Right now, we have a situation where everyone wants to be in tiers 1 and 2, because there isnt enough people in lower tiers to fight like we used to have back at the start of the game. We also dont want to move out of tier 1 and 2, because in Seasons the REWARDS are much better for higher tiers. No one wants to keep moving servers, because the cost is so high now compared to what it used to be. We all know WvW doesnt gain enough profit for anyone to move servers constantly let alone playing WvW only, we have to PvE to afford siege and food. Anet needs to start rewarding lower tiers more for seasons or reducing higher tier map capacity just to get people to spread out. I myself say this lag is rediculous, but I wont move due to cost, lower tiers arent populated, and crap rewards for seasons in lower tiers.

Desert Borderlands suck bring back alpine til new ones are revamped

in WvW

Posted by: aquabat.2986

aquabat.2986

tldr: As long as it doesn’t affect myself it is not a problem at all.

QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ

I didn’t imply it wasn’t a problem at all. Most people are having some sort of lag issue, it is just it isn’t affecting everyone. It does affect me, just not directly. If everyone around me is lagging then it detracts from being able to raid properly. If my driver is lagging, then he isn’t going to be steering in the right directions, nor is he going to be calling for different things I need to listen out for at the right time.

I don’t exactly have a cutting edge PC set up. My hardware is aging and dated, yet I am not experiencing the levels of trouble or barely any trouble at the moment that most people seem to be. Yet it still felt it important to mention that even with most people running into issues, there are some that are not. More information for Anet’s technicians the better.

Most importantly though, you managed to find a way to feel superior. Or maybe you just wanted another excuse to have a bit more of a cry at the expense of my good fortune.

in WvW

Posted by: GROMIT.7829

GROMIT.7829

gebrechen.5643:
aquabat.2986:

Shut up and get back on topic before the devs see you having a go at each other and find a reason to lock/delete this thread.

!!!! YOU’RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR !!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Akimbo.4835

Akimbo.4835

Quit WvW today in disgust. Trying to stomp a player I downed, so I press Rampage as one, around 3 seconds later I try to stomp and get knocked back…wait what? Oh that’s right, Rampage as One never actually activated due to the massive skill lag/delay I constantly get in WvW…

Totally unresponsive, laggy skills, constantly find myself interrupting something I expected to have been cast ~2-3 seconds ago.

in WvW

Posted by: Niko.8901

Niko.8901

Can we please get a response on the lag? T1 NA and SEA are unplayable. Skills won’t go off or they go off way too late.

I sadly can’t buy HoT expansion if I can’t play due to lag. I love the look and design of the new desert borderland but cannot purchase HoT expansion if the game is unplayable when I have time to play.

It became worse with the last patch. Please roll back whatever is causing the lag.

Otto Maggic ~Toasty
(sorry, I don’t give much wxp)

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

Can we please get a response on the lag? T1 NA and SEA are unplayable. Skills won’t go off or they go off way too late.

I sadly can’t buy HoT expansion if I can’t play due to lag. I love the look and design of the new desert borderland but cannot purchase HoT expansion if the game is unplayable when I have time to play.

It became worse with the last patch. Please roll back whatever is causing the lag.

What are you talking about? They have made multiple post in the last few days. They have even made post that solved the provlem for most people I suggested to read the post.

Might I recommend reading the “dev post” section from time to time.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: Jarrix.8234

Jarrix.8234

It’s the servers.

You go into the alpine BL map and any 40v40 fight or larger and there’s massive skill lag.
You go into EotM and have a 100v100v100 massive brawl and there’s no skill lag at all.

Why? Alpine BLs and EotM are on different servers.

Kayku
Envy – Fort Aspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: xev.9476

xev.9476

What are you talking about? They have made multiple post in the last few days. They have even made post that solved the provlem for most people I suggested to read the post.

Might I recommend reading the “dev post” section from time to time.

Yesterday GM Talon advised submitting a ticket for continued lag issues but also linked to this: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/91354558-How-to-Address-Lag ? Is this what you’re referring to? Where are these other “multiple posts”, and what is it that you think they addressed? I find it remarkable that entire zones continue to simultaneously experience massive skill lag. I suppose people across the globe just need to get their kitten together.

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

EBG Reset the taking of DB’s Keep: https://youtu.be/00d6imnRAJ8

Starts with no lag then when we get inside incoming skill lag.

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Works just fine in EotM. Maybe players don’t use auto 1111 macro there?

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in WvW

Posted by: Decado.9304

Decado.9304

-Popular ideas-
A) Fix the lag.
B) Fix the lag.
C) Fix the lag.
D) Fix the lag.
E) Fix the lag.
F) Put all resources into making new shiny useless carp for the gem store and kitten wvw!

I added Anet’s official response for you

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

-Popular ideas-
A) Fix the lag.
B) Fix the lag.
C) Fix the lag.
D) Fix the lag.
E) Fix the lag.
F) Put all resources into making new shiny useless carp for the gem store and kitten wvw!

I added Anet’s official response for you

Actually they made multiple official responses that offered suggestions that removed the skill lag for almost everyone I know who followed the instructions they offered. But I guess some folks prefer to uninformed and snarky rather than informed and lag free.

in WvW

Posted by: Luvpie.8350

Luvpie.8350

Lag in wvw is terrible anet… if you can’t fix this before expansion hits you will LOSE lots of new players and will hurt your game in long term. SO PLEASE acknowledge that lag is terrible since stability patch and that you are working on it atleast…

Apply @ Fang-Gaming.US
Follow @twitch.tv/Luvpie

in WvW

Colly.4073

Surprise surprise, Still no response from Anet even acknowledging this issue never mind fixing it.

Anet busy with HOT and couldn’t give a monkey’s about the WvW population.

in WvW

dancingmonkey.4902

Surprise surprise, Still no response from Anet even acknowledging this issue never mind fixing it.

Do you not read the “dev tracker” section of the forums? Obviously not, or you would know they have made several post on the matter.

How can you claim they are not posting about when you do not even know? Anet has added a “How to Address Lag” guide: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/91354558-How-to-Address-Lag . For example, but I gather, you do not know that either

I am with anyone who wants to be angry with good reason, for an extended issue. But I cannot support someone lying and claiming they are not talking about, when you haven’t looked.

I count at least 5 dev post on the specific matter since the issue started. So if you have lag, by all means, complain about it. But do not add lies to it as well. What level of intelligence to you have to be to think insulting the devs is going to get them to feel compelled to help you specifically?

(edited by dancingmonkey.4902)

in WvW

Posted by: this is wrekks.7602

this is wrekks.7602

That post you link basically says if you lag in this game it is your problem. but the problem with that is a huge number of the WvW population is experiencing crippiling lag at pretty much all times right now. So, either everyone’s drivers are out of date or the problem is server side. Which do you think is more likely?

And listen, people are mad. Those of us that have stuck around for 3 years and support this game monetarily are frustrated. Things that have been broken since launch (specifically broken Traits) have never been fixed. The lag in WvW is worse than ever… and we continue to dump money into their wallets. This game is three years old and really never lived up to it’s potential and all some of us want is to play WvW fluidly.

So sorry if the playerbase gets mad it things like Lag in a pvp game mode. This stuff should have been sorted 1 month into the game.

(edited by this is wrekks.7602)

in WvW

Posted by: root.2859

root.2859

^THIS^
Since the stab patch introducing horrible lag I was alternating between ragequitting and then giving it a try again – i love WvW. But at this point it just stopped to be any fun playing. Though people will buy the expansion and Anet will be like ‘we do everything right’ so here I say bb, thanks for the fun fights, see you in another game that does not suffer multiple seconds of lag.

@dancingmonkey
You didn’t get anything did you? facepalm

in WvW

Colly.4073

Do you not read the “dev tracker” section of the forums? Obviously not, or you would know they have made several post on the matter.

How can you claim they are not posting about when you do not even know? Anet has added a “How to Address Lag” guide: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/91354558-How-to-Address-Lag . For example, but I gather, you do not know that either

I am with anyone who wants to be angry with good reason, for an extended issue. But I cannot support someone lying and claiming they are not talking about, when you haven’t looked.

I count at least 5 dev post on the specific matter since the issue started. So if you have lag, by all means, complain about it. But do not add lies to it as well. What level of intelligence to you have to be to think insulting the devs is going to get them to feel compelled to help you specifically?

And before you quote me and then proceed to call me out, Try to know what your talking about.

in WvW

dancingmonkey.4902

And before you quote me and then proceed to call me out, Try to know what your talking about.

Are you suggesting you tried to use the solution offered there then?

in WvW

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

Are you suggesting you tried to use the solution offered there then?

Are you clueless or trolling? When an ENTIRE ZONE is complaining about the same type of lag, you think its each user’s fault, that people from a dozen different countries all the sudden have problems with their computers and ISP? Get real.