4yrs later still server/skill lag

in WvW

Posted by: Thefiretheft.1254

Thefiretheft.1254

Alright, I may be beating a dead horse when I am talking about this topic, but it seems to me that a game that has been out for as long as GW2 it should have already been addressed. I love the game, I love the concept of WvW. What I find absolutely frustrating is the massive server lag and skill lag in WvW. I know I am not the only one but I am wanting this issue addressed instead of being tossed aside. I think its kind of funny that 4 years nearly into the release of the game there is still the issue of server lag. It doesn’t matter if you are playing on a top of the line PC or a bottom spec PC, everyone gets skill lag when there is large scale blob fights, especially 3 way fights on any WvW map. It is my opinion that if anet doesn’t want to lose players because of server stability they would have done something already, maybe I’m just speculating with that though. I mean it has been nearly 4 years since launch and the server lag is just as bad as it has ever been… I know I will get flamed for this but I really do not care. I want a game that has play quality instead of one that everyone lags either out or can’t use skills during large scale fights. You might as why does it matter, well it matters because why should we have large scale fights when the servers obviously cannot handle the stress that is put on them during these fights. Instead of polling for trivial things such as whether or not siege can be repaired using supply how about polling for something that would make a big difference in the quality of game play for all of us players??? There are other MMOs that do a much better job at this than Anet has done with GW2 but they are not MMOs that I care to play and I would assume the rest of the player base cares to play or else we would all be playing them. Is it really too much to ask for some server stability within the game so we can all enjoy it to its maximum potential instead of having constant skill/server lag during a lot of the fights we get into? I think it’s definitely not too much to ask.

in WvW

Posted by: Curby.4897

Curby.4897

Its been said, Anet ignores it, we all suffer for it. Just shut up and eat your force fed PvE content. (Sarcasm)

in WvW

Posted by: PulsarianDevil.8125

PulsarianDevil.8125

Why is this not a priority? We don’t want your spoon-fed PvE patches. We want you to fix the skill lag in WvW. This should be a priority!

in WvW

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

+1

T1 is ridiculous.

You need to be clairvoyant in order to get your heal off in time.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

in WvW

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Anet couldn’t give a rat’s kitten about skill lag or even WvW for that matter.

If it isn’t affecting Anet’s beloved eSports then they couldn’t care less.

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Actually, it is bad, too, in pve. My wife said it was just god awful in pve last night. She said lag was so bad that it was almost unplayable.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: clone wars.9568

clone wars.9568

Yup same here. For the last week I’ve been getting 1-5k ping in wvw Eb, alpine even EoTM anytime i even get close to a zerg. Even small scale fights 15vs15 I’m getting crazy unplayable lag…

Quit with the PVE BS and start sorting the BASICS out pls anet. And you wonder why sales are at a all-time low, start listening to the players paying your wages!!!

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

I have said it before in other threads… Doesn’t your machine and internet make a difference? I know that not everyone can afford it but my little gaming laptop doesn’t suffer this lag people speak of. Not even with two enemy zergs in the same spot. Am I just lucky?

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Ipea.2974

Ipea.2974

The game the last few days has been unplayable die to this new lag that from the people I play with have only been seeing since this weeks reset.

I have ran trace routes, I have hard reset my IP address, I have ran repair clients, I have even fully reinstalled the game. WHAT is WRONG with the servers that is causing this??? I can enter WvW and all is fine but I see one even small enemy group and the lag starts in an instant, ping spikes to 1k-3k then drops to ZERO and people are porting all over the place, skills wont fire and then you go from 100% to 0% health before you even know you are being attacked because of the lag!

ANET PLEASE FIX THE SERVERS! THE HAMSTER IS DEAD AND NEEDS REPLACED!

in WvW

PulsarianDevil.8125

I have said it before in other threads… Doesn’t your machine and internet make a difference? I know that not everyone can afford it but my little gaming laptop doesn’t suffer this lag people speak of. Not even with two enemy zergs in the same spot. Am I just lucky?

The skill lag is server side lag when there are many people in the area. When it happens, it isn’t just one person; everyone on the wvw raid experiences it. It’s not an individual computer or individual connection issue. It’s server-side. I have an outstanding top-of-the-line gaming desktop computer and a great internet connection, and I only experience this skill lag in wvw when there are multiple large zergs fighting. If you’re in tier 1, this will be a nightly headache, and if you’re in tier 2, you’ll still experience it, especially in EBG.

(edited by PulsarianDevil.8125)

in WvW

Posted by: Sich.7103

Sich.7103

They will never fix that… This is a engine issue and to fix that you need probably to rewrite the engine… Server part and client side…
This is too much work and will cost too much. And why should they do that when people continu to play ?
Maybe you will see some improvement on GW3. But not before.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Simple answer: Yes. Yes you are.

It doesnt matter whether you play on a 16 core/gtx1080/500mbps machine or a single core potato with a post-it smileyface as GPU and a cup with a string as internet, when the skill queue of an instance get swamped it chokes and cant send requests back to clients fast enough. Ie skills keep blinking even when you dont lag otherwise.

Two zergs fighting is generally not enough to cause it, try three full 80 man borderblobs fighting at once.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarika.3756

Sarika.3756

Yeah, we were trying to have a lovely 3 way brawl in a garrison on reset, but soon as we’d hit lords room, the lag was horrid. Finally stopped pushing for the fight, because of it.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

It doesnt matter whether you play on a 16 core/gtx1080/500mbps machine or a single core potato with a post-it smileyface as GPU and a cup with a string as internet, when the skill queue of an instance get swamped it chokes and cant send requests back to clients fast enough. Ie skills keep blinking even when you dont lag otherwise.

Two zergs fighting is generally not enough to cause it, try three full 80 man borderblobs fighting at once.

ok I will continue to count my lucky stars then. I’ve experienced lag you talk about twice so far this year but nothing recently… I’m currently linked to a T2 matchup but so far I haven’t been in a three way battle of blobs so maybe the lag is coming

I agree though, for the most part this has to be a server capacity issue and who knows if they can/will fix that.

in WvW

Posted by: Avit.3165

Avit.3165

Imagine if they had such a lag at sPvP.
There would be 20 defs working 24/7 to fix it asap.
…but WvW, pff, who cares.

in WvW

Posted by: zeight.5260

zeight.5260

How many times people will have to hear it… Lag will not ever be fixed.

It is a graphic engine issue and it will not be fixed as it would mean re-doing it.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

They are making a ton of money off of us… seriously has to be more than enough for this ‘fix’ to happen.

in WvW

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I’ll just throw this out here, cause it happened to me: Built a new ‘super’ rig, windows 10, and I had skill lag like crazy. WvW completely unplayable. I found that Steam had a background process that when running will throttle all traffic on your interface. Once i killed the background steam processes/services, no more skill lag or bad pings..

Might not help you folks, but thought i’d mention it, as it may help someone.

in WvW

PulsarianDevil.8125

relevant video to this topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezVy-zLUq6g

in WvW

Posted by: MarkBecks.6453

MarkBecks.6453

Just came out of WvW, EB with 3 way fight for SM. When I say its unplayable, I mean everyone is complaining and leaving the map because its unplayable. I suggest you have an urgent meeting and discuss this as priority, it was supposed to be addressed after HoT. The promises we’ve had remind me of some politicians, enough said!

in WvW

Teon.5168

ok I will continue to count my lucky stars then. I’ve experienced lag you talk about twice so far this year but nothing recently… I’m currently linked to a T2 matchup but so far I haven’t been in a three way battle of blobs so maybe the lag is coming

I agree though, for the most part this has to be a server capacity issue and who knows if they can/will fix that.

Yea, you, like me, have been lucky. My wife and I are on the same high speed fiber optics isp, and she has a very similar machine as mine, yet she gets lag, when I usually do not. (and we are both hard wired to the isp, neither of our machines is on wifi)Although, she did not used to have so many issues with it. And I have gotten some more lag since the new pve land was introduced. I really don’t know if that has anything to do with it……just seems to be around the same time that the lag has gotten worse.

The lag issues, from what I have read here, and what I have seen happen to my wife while she is playing, and what happens when I play, don’t seem to be very consistent.
Sometimes I will get horrid lag in wvw with large zergs, but most of the time I don’t.

I certainly think, though, that the lag issue is serious enough with enough players where I sure hope they’re looking at how to fix it. Or at least make it so it is less severe.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Teon.5168

And then, last night, my wife and I got into T1 wvw, joined the zerg, and battled other zergs, without a single issue with lag.

The inconsistency of the lag is just mind boggling.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: DeeSystm.1256

DeeSystm.1256

Almost every 3 way ever nowadays is skill lag. T4 skill lag in sm all weekend. Straight bullslaughen

“I came to play.” me
r4420k+ blazetrain

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

At least isnt so bad has it was at the beggining, still we have alot of less players playing the game.

And then, last night, my wife and I got into T1 wvw, joined the zerg, and battled other zergs, without a single issue with lag.

The inconsistency of the lag is just mind boggling.

Ive been in situation latelly that enemy can cast skills and my side cant, after some time situation gets inverted they are pushed back all ic is running and autos from the other groups, and maybe sometimes gets divided lol… yeah it is a bit strange.

Lag management departement lol…

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: MangoCrush.7819

MangoCrush.7819

what gets me is there has been 0 response ever from Anet regarding this. its like they dont given any kittens

Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

PulsarianDevil.8125

what gets me is there has been 0 response ever from Anet regarding this. its like they dont given any kittens

Seriously. It is ridiculous. This should be a priority and yet it appears as if they aren’t even looking into it.

in WvW

Posted by: MangoCrush.7819

MangoCrush.7819

Seriously. It is ridiculous. This should be a priority and yet it appears as if they aren’t even looking into it.

No no new scoring is way more important than actual issues. Quite honestly I couldnt care less if my server wins or loses, I do however care about having fun, which this is a game, and I can tell you its not fun when skills take 5+ seconds to activate

Stormbluff Isle

in WvW

PulsarianDevil.8125

No no new scoring is way more important than actual issues. Quite honestly I couldnt care less if my server wins or loses, I do however care about having fun, which this is a game, and I can tell you its not fun when skills take 5+ seconds to activate

Exactly!! Complete agree. I could care less about the scoring system.

in WvW

Posted by: Ni In.6578

Ni In.6578

Report it as a bug. The more people report it, the more likely it will get the attention of devs (maybe).

WvW Rank – keeps going up
Server: Crystal Desert (so toxic!) | “Make CD DVD Again”
Guilds: [VII] – They let me claim stuff

in WvW

Posted by: JDjitsu.7895

JDjitsu.7895

Report it as a bug. The more people report it, the more likely it will get the attention of devs (maybe).

This forum doesn’t really get looked at by devs or anyone from Anet. On Reddit you actually might get an answer or communication if enough people post. Because prospective customers might read them and see all the complaints. Really all you have in here is non Anet employee admins. How often have you seen red Dev posts in these types of threads about the kitten lag? I bet not ONE dev read this thread here.

Wiggin/LittleEnder/XeroCool/Filthydirtyrotten/MizDemeanor/EnderThaXenocide/ShadowOfWiggin-
Maguuma & A Few alts on other NA/EU servers

in WvW

Posted by: Pelto.9364

Pelto.9364

Is there any evidence of the server lag?

I see some problems:
-Network connection has lag – web has only speedtests but not lag tests
-When network connection has a lag (or so), Windows starts using disk extensively, for some unknown reason
-When disk is used, it shows as freezes/lags – disk is used by the game itself, by Windows, and Windows service processed (counted 10+ so far)

The game loads enemy armor data etc from disk. I use standard enemy models, and char quality settings are lowest, but still disk goes on when enemy zerg appears. Strange. My suggestion is to tie the game’s (or Windows’) disk loader to e.g. audio system and precisely control the disk load rate – like 50% instead of 100%.

Many Windows processes uses disk at 100% and runs when they want. Game playing is nightmare because frame rate may drop to 1 fps. Pro audio recording is no no. If I leave keyboard and mouse untouched for few mins, the disk starts going mad – it is a windows process, not a virus like microsoft people think.

Yeah, GW2 is realtime software, and it is very challenging to code realtime systems. Windows clearly is not designed for realtime because its 10+ processes start using disk at 100% at any unwanted time. Processes which use disk are easy to see, but Windows may have more non-obvious processes which cause lag.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

My problem with it is the randomness of the lag. Some nights there is zero lag, some nights it is minor, and other nights reloading to spawn takes 5+ minutes with the invisible weapons bug.

Nights when I have little to no lag others in squad might be nigh unplayable. The differences from patch to patch can be night and day.

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

It is definitely server lag and not graphic lag.
Anets potato servers cannot handle 3 way blob fights

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

The lag is ridiculous… I run an i7 8gb dual nvidia cards and its almost like anytime a BG person comes by … the game starts lagging. I’ve been in zvzvz battles 3 way smc battles all fine, but whenever I run out by myself to cap a ruin or anything … my game seems to hit some ridiculous lag spike. I’m almost at the point of just giving up on this crap and just watching football ,and blowing my money on the atypical crap. Comepltely tired of this, I never lag in guild runs never lag in normal decent fights … but I go out to have some 1v1 fun and each engage with a BG person is like a ddos attack. I don’t get it … the FA guys hit a lot harder than BG, but at least my comp is running smoothly. This is just a little much ftw

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

This seems like the sort of thing that would have been fixed if it could have been fixed. Chances are they’ve been working on it the whole time without success. Not much we can do on our end but hope for a breakthrough.

in WvW

Posted by: Skynet.7201

Skynet.7201

This should be one of the top priorities right now.

We created the perfect infiltration machine.
Join 9K+ GW2 players: https://www.facebook.com/groups/GW2Gamers/
All are welcome!