A Letter to my Friends about WvW changes

in WvW

Posted by: Nightshade.2570

Nightshade.2570

Dear Friends,
I won’t deny that WvW seems to have gotten the least amount of attention over the years. While changes have happened they have been slow coming and just recently started to pick up in the last year.

WvWers have been asking and suggesting changes on this board and in game forever. However, What is ironic about this is that when they do something that changes things alot we behave terribly. The minute we feel like things are changing we beg for the old back. The problem is that the old is boring and more and more people will leave.

We are pretty set in our ways as veteran WvWers and alot of people have lost sight in some way of what is important. I admit I am going to miss the old borderlands but then I am so excited about the new! New players to a game mode are important. Without them, people will leave, which I am sure all of you know more then one person you used to play with that’s gone. Yet there is no one new to replace them.

We have to let change happen and try to help shape it. Let go of what is now and look forward to what is coming.

This is my request to you all and yes I know I am a nobody. But if you care about WvW as I do you will not meet these changes with things like : “this sucks I am quitting” and instead meet them with: “I tried it out and I think you could do this to make it better
Give it a chance even if you don’t think it will work. Feedback constructively given is what they really need right now.

Sincerely,
A WvWer and soon to be Yak Slapper

in WvW

Posted by: Beorn Saxon.4762

Beorn Saxon.4762

I’m probably one of the few that is pretty pumped about the changes. WvW is going to be different, we truly can’t critique it until we’ve played it for a while.

Yes, we can speculate, but that will only get you so far. Between the new map, elite specializations, new guild functions… WvW is going to feel like a whole new game. I’m sure people will be grumpy, change is always hard. Just look at it as if this were launch day all over again.

Tarnished Coast
Critical Impact [Crit]

in WvW

Posted by: SkyChef.5432

SkyChef.5432

I leave you guys w/ this quote:

“The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naive forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget. "

/thread

People are too serious of their knowledge.

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

They don’t even listen to the constructive feedback is the major issue. How many CDI’s full of constructive feedback were there ?

It was explained that we did not desire the Golem event, and if they were going to go ahead with it, they needed to limit how long it lasted, they ignored it and the die hards didn’t log in for the week.

You can’t put this all on the players, judging by some of the comments made by Anet staff they have proven that they are completely out of touch with their WvW community. Promises that never see the light of day, I think its fair to say some of the WvW players know more about WvW then the devs. If they would work with us and run things by us and actually listen to our constructive feedback you would see a lot less complaining.

in WvW

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

If they would work with us and run things by us and actually listen to our constructive feedback you would see a lot less complaining.

Not saying this is always true but, some of the changes that are coming with the guild upgrade system and changes players have been asking for a lot. Yet we still see lots of people saying they don’t like these new changes and it will destroy WvW and so on without even trying. The problem with the golem event is people take the game too seriously sometimes, chill and enjoy the one week event it’s just a game after all. I do agree that the Glicko ratings should not have changed from that event but it was just one week of messed up Glicko. It is not just the players or just ArenaNet both sides are a bit at fault but aren’t trying to help the other. ArenaNet tries to change things up a bit but gets lots of complaints from the players, in turn players suggest things to change it up and they just hesitate because of previous flak.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

They don’t even listen to the constructive feedback is the major issue. How many CDI’s full of constructive feedback were there ?

It was explained that we did not desire the Golem event, and if they were going to go ahead with it, they needed to limit how long it lasted, they ignored it and the die hards didn’t log in for the week.

You can’t put this all on the players, judging by some of the comments made by Anet staff they have proven that they are completely out of touch with their WvW community. Promises that never see the light of day, I think its fair to say some of the WvW players know more about WvW then the devs. If they would work with us and run things by us and actually listen to our constructive feedback you would see a lot less complaining.

100% this.

And we’ve seen historically that it’s very important to analyze upcoming changes and complain about them if we think they’re bad because once the changes come out, Anet washes their hands of them and doesn’t bother to fix issues.

Golem rush event: everyone warned Anet about it. It turned out to be an epic disaster. Was it shortened? No. Were the bugs/exploits dealt with? No. Not even acknowledged, in fact.

in WvW

Random.4691

If they would work with us and run things by us and actually listen to our constructive feedback you would see a lot less complaining.

Not saying this is always true but, some of the changes that are coming with the guild upgrade system and changes players have been asking for a lot. Yet we still see lots of people saying they don’t like these new changes and it will destroy WvW and so on without even trying. The problem with the golem event is people take the game too seriously sometimes, chill and enjoy the one week event it’s just a game after all. I do agree that the Glicko ratings should not have changed from that event but it was just one week of messed up Glicko. It is not just the players or just ArenaNet both sides are a bit at fault but aren’t trying to help the other. ArenaNet tries to change things up a bit but gets lots of complaints from the players, in turn players suggest things to change it up and they just hesitate because of previous flak.

So the massive bugs during the Golem event that had even casual non WvW players screaming for bans weren’t a big deal ? Players are bitter because it’s been 3 years of slaps in the face. We deserve to be bitter, we have been made promise after promise and they never follow through. The era of Devon was god awful, there are still blogs players have posted about the changes Devon assured us were coming, and yet, here we are, they still haven’t been touched.

in WvW

Random.4691

They should have a team of players from each mode, once a week or biweekly or even monthly they should have a short Q&A session with those designated players about bugs, exploits, upcoming changes, things that need to be looked at ect ect ect. Not just one guy that sends them emails not knowing if they are even registering what he is telling them.

in WvW

Nightshade.2570

I dont put it all on players I start off the post talking about how we are starved for changes.

Secondly your statement that they don’t listen to CDI’s is actually false as I can go look up one right now about siege trolling and the changes that were implemented due to that CDI.

in WvW

Nightshade.2570

Yep 100%

in WvW

Posted by: Pink Ninja Man.4375

Pink Ninja Man.4375

We deserve to be bitter, we have been made promise after promise and they never follow through.

Do you have a few examples because as far as I have seen, when they say they are bringing something or changing something they do it.

Twitch – PinkNinjaMan [/\///\/_//\]
Main Class – Ranger [Bezerker/Trapper Hybrid]
Main Mode – WvW [Gate of Madness]

in WvW

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

I’m probably one of the few that is pretty pumped about the changes. WvW is going to be different, we truly can’t critique it until we’ve played it for a while.

Yes, we can speculate, but that will only get you so far. Between the new map, elite specializations, new guild functions… WvW is going to feel like a whole new game. I’m sure people will be grumpy, change is always hard. Just look at it as if this were launch day all over again.

My guild is actually very excited for the upcoming changes. We focus a lot on defending and upgrading our side and are extremely eager to get our hands on these new upgrades and tools as fast as possible. <3

It was explained that some people did not desire the golem event. Personally I found it fun, took is as a game like its meant to be, and enjoyed all the chaos and randomness of it all and saw plenty of other WvW players doing the same throughout the week both on my server and others. Saying all the “die hards” chose not to log in for a week in just wrong lol since I saw a lot of the same ppl I’ve seen on my server since launch still log in and still fight and have fun. I’m sorry but if you can’t handle other people have fun in a game and decide your just gonna rage quit for a week because you don’t like it that’s not Anet’s problem lol.

Would you honestly see less complaining? Key words I see in posts like these are things like “us” and “our” but the thing is…..a lot of “us” don’t agree with one another on anything lol. For everything you suggest there will always be those people that dislike it and want the exact opposite. You have ppt’ers, roamers, defenders, pugmanding, guild raiders, fight guilds, etc and everyone’s always going to want something lol. No matter what you do people will still be people and people are going to complain lol.

in WvW

Random.4691

Of course you see us and our as in run things by us and get our feedback as to include everyone in the WvW community. Yes you would see less complaining, there will always be complaints but it would be less. The Golem event had what several thousands of replies ? Most of which were against it.

Go look for many of the statements made by Devon if you want to see the hollow promises. Why people think others need to prove anything to them is beyond me, to be clear I don’t care if you want to stick your head in the sand, if you’re curious do the work and look, it shouldn’t be to difficult.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Eh y’know what? If every time I encountered you, you punched me in the nose, I’d find ways to avoid you — do the minimal necessary.

We are getting a pile of responses from red names about changes to WvW we’ve all long wanted. I think that’s a good thing. I think, as a community, we should encourage this kind of two-way dialogue. They appear to be addressing a good number of issues.

I think Devon just wanted everyone to like him and oversold some of the promises — or was told it’s possible, and then was let down himself. We’ll never know. It did set the bar for expectations/let down, but since we are now seeing some positive movement, can we use the “wait and see” approach rather than the “sky is falling” one? The latter is such a waste of energy.

Certainly if you see issues, flag them. But think about how you’d like to be approached for a change in your job, and phrase it that way.

Some of these are new red names we’re seeing here. Give them a chance first please

xox

P.S. Send back Habib!

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Nightshade.2570

Um Can we let the past go. These are exciting times, lets talk about the future.

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

Um Can we let the past go. These are exciting times, lets talk about the future.

I am holding on to the past in form of $$$ in my wallet and awaiting to see what the future brings to WvWvW. That, in turn will also determine the future of that $$$ I am holding onto.

In short, I am not buying HoT or spending any money on gems until I see what A-Net solution is along with its implimentation to the biggest issue in this game mode, population imbalance.

While new maps, mechanics, etc. are nice, its all just fluff in comparison with the plague of the above.

Also considering this has been around since well before the very 1st CDI, and how long it took them to officially acknowledge it and take the 1st no-brainer logical step by locking up overstacked servers, I have a very good right to be skeptical of their commitment as well as ability and most of all wilingness to take the plunge and make the necessary changes.

So I will judge A-Net solely on the effectiveness of what it is that they actually do, not what they say.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Moonlit.6421

Go look for many of the statements made by Devon if you want to see the hollow promises. Why people think others need to prove anything to them is beyond me, to be clear I don’t care if you want to stick your head in the sand, if you’re curious do the work and look, it shouldn’t be to difficult.

Because basic logic dictates if you make a point then you should have something to back it up. You said something and the guy asked for the evidence that made you come to that conclusion, telling him that you don’t have to prove anything to him and that he should find evidence to back up your argument himself just makes your own comment look pointless.

in WvW

Random.4691

Because basic logic dictates if you make a point then you should have something to back it up. You said something and the guy asked for the evidence that made you come to that conclusion, telling him that you don’t have to prove anything to him and that he should find evidence to back up your argument himself just makes your own comment look pointless.

This isn’t a court of law, basic logic would dictate that if you have spent any amount of time on these forums you would have at some point seen one of the many many threads with proof in them. Go look at the new thread about up coming changes to WvW, you think that many “we’ll believe it when we see it” posts just come from thin air ?

Don’t be lazy, either you’re curious and thus you should go search, or you don’t want to search and therefore do not care at which point you have no reason to even argue the point.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Not saying this is always true but, some of the changes that are coming with the guild upgrade system and changes players have been asking for a lot.

Some maybe, these changes are OTT. There needed to be more rewards for defending not to provide so many tools for defending that it promises to be impossible to take a fully upgraded objective.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Eh y’know what? If every time I encountered you, you punched me in the nose, I’d find ways to avoid you — do the minimal necessary.

We are getting a pile of responses from red names about changes to WvW we’ve all long wanted. I think that’s a good thing. I think, as a community, we should encourage this kind of two-way dialogue. They appear to be addressing a good number of issues.

Yes but in typical anet fashion going over the top eg. the server caps appearing to be too low, the guild claiming options being too powerful and too numerous appearing to give defenders far too much of an advantage. What about actual QOL changes like proper raid groups?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Yes but in typical anet fashion going over the top eg. the server caps appearing to be too low, the guild claiming options being too powerful and too numerous appearing to give defenders far too much of an advantage. What about actual QOL changes like proper raid groups?

#waitandsee2015

in WvW

Moonlit.6421

Don’t be lazy, either you’re curious and thus you should go search, or you don’t want to search and therefore do not care at which point you have no reason to even argue the point.

Lol that’s like a teacher asking you a question and you telling them “I don’t know you have the book to, why don’t you tell me?” If you can’t even be bother to support your own argument then you have no business posting it in the first place making you just another person looking for something to complain about in what’s supposed to be a game meant for fun.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Blah. A thread asking for more civility is deteriorating into …

in WvW

Posted by: Grav.3568

Grav.3568

WvWers have been asking and suggesting changes on this board and in game forever. However, What is ironic about this is that when they do something that changes things alot we behave terribly.

That’s because a lot of the changes they have made have been terrible.