A quality of life proposal

in WvW

Posted by: grave of hearts.7830

grave of hearts.7830

Well been a while now that refreshing siege became a really time consuming and unrewarding necessity for us the vet wvwers.
We run around stressed over siege timers and that isnt a fun experience.
And also theres the case when we ask someone over map to go refresh and he misses a siege or two that are vital for defending.
So my proposal is for an Asuran Frequency Tower print,that will refresh all siege within its radius when a player press the button with a cooldown timer of 5 mins.
For the sake of balancing and avoiding griefing another aft cannot be built within the radius of an already built aft.
This will cutdown on refresh times allowing for defenders a more compact rotation and room to maneuver.

And for the sake of fun,some masteries that could go with it
1:using the AFT will heal siege within radius by 5%
2:extend the radius of the AFT by 25%
3:using the AFT will increase the move speed of allied targets within radius by 50% for 10 seconds.
4:AFT passively increases the despawn cap of siege within radius to 2 hours (except rams)
5:AFT gains a new ability named Frequency Calculation,which when used disables all shield generators within radius for 10 seconds with a cool down timer of 30 seconds.

And thats my suggestion for a little bit more of convience and less migranes as far refreshing.
Feel free to discuss or copy paste it to suggestions or whatever.
Have fun

SoS Defence and Emergency commander
If you see a gear above my head……run
If you see me Offline,its totaly not a trap

in WvW

Posted by: Famine.7915

Famine.7915

Not worth even the development time. Don’t forget about your siege.

Vee/Volk
Maguuma – Predatory Instinct [HUNT]
Necromancer

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

pretty cool idea, except the #4 mastery bonus seems unnecessary.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

I like this.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Sviel.7493

Sviel.7493

It’s solving a problem that shouldn’t exist. Decay timers are a brutally inelegant solution to a problem of limited tech. Adding more convolution into the mix can hardly be called helping.

But, yes, it would improve quality of life. I’d rather cure the disease than treat the symptoms, though.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

decay is necessary.
one could even argue that something like this in OP could be abused and is therefore not in the best interests of everyone.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

decay is necessary.
one could even argue that something like this in OP could be abused and is therefore not in the best interests of everyone.

Indeed. Imagine if people put five rams where ACs should be…

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Sviel.7493

I surely understand that troll siege needs to have a removal mechanism and that there’s a limit to how much siege can be on a map at once. Decay, however, is like prescribing chemotherapy for a wart. The wart may die, but it’s hardly worth the trouble.

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

Decay, however, is like prescribing chemotherapy for a wart. The wart may die, but it’s hardly worth the trouble.

I don’t think it’s overkill at all. I believe Decay to be an elegant solution.

While I find it frustrating that siege isn’t always there when you need it, I don’t think it’s a problem that deserves developer effort.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

in WvW

Posted by: Korgov.7645

Korgov.7645

Agreed. Refreshing siege is not fun.

Adding another siege to refresh siege timers doesn’t feel the right way to go about the issue.

I’d suggest that players are not being able to reset the decay timers. link

Sulkshine – Mesmer
This won’t hurt [Much]
Ring of Fire

in WvW

Posted by: FenX.5687

FenX.5687

My suggestion :
Add a special action key that instantly refreshes all the siege weapons within x radius.
That action key could be available within a tower/keep so that there can be other special actions when outside a structure.

The WvW mastery can be applied :
1/ enable refresh special action
2/ increase radius
3/ decrease activation time
4/ etc…

Special action key is something added to the game that hasnt yet found its purpose in wvw.

(edited by FenX.5687)

in WvW

Posted by: Strider Pj.2193

Strider Pj.2193

My suggestion :
Add a special action key that instantly refreshes all the siege weapons within x radius.
That action key could be available within a tower/keep so that there can be other special actions when outside a structure.

The WvW mastery can be applied :
1/ enable refresh special action
2/ increase radius
3/ decrease activation time
4/ etc…

Special action key is something added to the game that hasnt yet found its purpose in wvw.

I would be in favor of something like this. It entails more active review of siege.

in WvW

Posted by: Cerby.1069

Cerby.1069

@ Fen….i dont like that idea

@ grav
I think ur OP is a cool idea.

It could be buildable like you mentioned via blueprint, or possibly a new guild upgrade (not sure what slot would make sense, even a t1 slot makes sense).

Very creative thinking. It need only cover what is on and inside the objective. I don’t like the idea of them being placeable outside of objectives though. I actually don’t really like the idea that they can be custom placed to begin with. I would suggest they all clip to certain spots within an objective, maybe it puts an anetenna or dish of some kind ontop of the supply hut. And having 1 cover an entire keep is a bit much (and we don’t want people needing to toss 3-6 around a keep), thus the idea of making it a guild upgrade makes alot of sense to me.

I kill you in one gunflame, or I kill you in two.
The Tiny Yuno Sniper of Ebay [EBAY]

in WvW

Sviel.7493

Alright, since this isn’t going away, let’s at least all get on the same page.

Here is some info on why siege decay exists: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Idea-to-make-Siege-Ticking-less-tedious/first#post6566172

In short, Devs want to make sure that siege that isn’t in use is removed. This is needed because there is a technical limit on how much siege can be placed and unused pieces shouldn’t clog this up. The original timers were very short, but were eventually bumped up to 1 hour for everything except rams.

This is important info because the suggestion in the OP does not fulfill this purpose. Unused siege in the area would be ‘refreshed.’ Either this is still a concern and they won’t implement the idea or this isn’t a concern and there’s no reason to still have decay timers.

A potential elegant solution would be to disable decay timers on guild siege. This makes it much easier to track down a troll while also providing an avenue for static defense without a full-time babysitter.

The system as it stands is deeply problematic—siege is designed as something you build beforehand (takes too long to build in the moment) to fend off attacks. However, if you build enough siege to respond to an attack on, say, NET on DBL…it would have to be hit 6 times in different places in the span of an hour to actually use the siege. And that’s just 1 AC per attack point. If the enemies assault from out of AC range, you’ll also need ballis. If they’re further out, you need at least 2 trebs. And, of course, the trebs/ballis can’t hit close enough to the walls to negate the need for ACs. This means that unless the tower is constantly under attack from all sides, someone has to check and refresh unused siege just to have a chance to hold the tower against 3-5 people.

The result is that a tower with any applicable defensive siege is a rarity, so people get used to taking towers without resistance. Then, when there is some push-back, they feel like the game is stacked against them. Also, defensive siege becomes the luxury of the zerg server with high population and fairly even population. The folks who need it most don’t have the manpower to build the necessary siege and then keep it from just disappearing.

People wonder why the Pip Population boom isn’t lasting—it’s partially because of terrible combat balance, but it’s also because of terrible mechanic balance. You can’t try to introduce siege as a power-of-numbers balancer and then slap a mechanic on it that makes it a power-of-numbers exclusive.