AFKing really needs addressed

in WvW

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

So now that the new reward system is in place, people seem to be AFKing more now than ever,

Today EBG had a Queue of 90, when I eventually got in, there was around 30-40ppl afk at spawn/keep, its clear they are AFK just to avoid having to queue again when primetime starts,

It really needs addressed now, before we run into 200 Queues for WvW and 50% of AFK waiting for fights later in the day.

in WvW

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

Nope

This has been addressed in the past and once again Anet won’t do the ground work needed to strengthen the foundation before building on top of it.

In WvW the reward tracks work based on participation and not immediate action like in PvP. In PvP you get points for every action that you completed while in WvW you merely get your participation up to its max and then wait on the timer to dish out your points. This means those people ran in a zerg to get their max participation then ported back to the spawn in order to reap out the rewards and whenver it starts to dip back down they kill a mob or join the zerg again for a second to set it back up.

WvW has been set up in a way to reward AFK play for ages now

in WvW

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

I think that the big majority of people are really AFKing because they don’t want to re queue. Honestly who can blame them, the ground wasn’t prepared for the huge influx of players… and yeah, today when I get from work and once I get into any map I do not intend to leave it, even while I’m having dinner, shower,…

Because, as things stand, once you’re out during prime time, you’re out for the day

in WvW

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

Wvw has a 10 minute afk timer. More people were loitering around the new NPC checking it out than are truly afk. It’ll clear out in a few days when people better understand the loot they can get.

in WvW

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

What needs to be adressed is the bull they made that every border has long queues. If im getting in a border today you can be sure ill just move my char around every9m to make sure i can stay inside even if im making dinner taking a shower etc. I shouldnt have to wait 2 hours to play again.

in WvW

Posted by: Brigand.9502

Brigand.9502

I think it would be a great addition to be able to “cash out” your participation.

Previously when I was done my playing session, I would afk in wvw and go eat dinner, get ready for bed, etc. knowing full well that I would eventually be DC’d. The point was to continue to let my participation bleed down and possibly get another 1 or 2 rewards. It wasn’t a big deal because there were no queues. Now that we have massive queues (maybe temporarily maybe not) I don’t feel comfortable continuing this trend.

The “cash out” button would immediately deplete your participation to zero and give any rewards that you would have earned over the time it would have naturally depleted.

I hope that makes sense.

in WvW

Posted by: Das Brockenhuhn.6984

Das Brockenhuhn.6984

Tell the people to afk in Obsidian Refugium, you get the rewards correctly applied, a lot of Players do not know this

in WvW

Posted by: Sly.9518

Sly.9518

Nope

This has been addressed in the past and once again Anet won’t do the ground work needed to strengthen the foundation before building on top of it.

In WvW the reward tracks work based on participation and not immediate action like in PvP. In PvP you get points for every action that you completed while in WvW you merely get your participation up to its max and then wait on the timer to dish out your points. This means those people ran in a zerg to get their max participation then ported back to the spawn in order to reap out the rewards and whenver it starts to dip back down they kill a mob or join the zerg again for a second to set it back up.

WvW has been set up in a way to reward AFK play for ages now

Pvp doesn’t reward active input….. you get rewards for afking as well…

in WvW

Posted by: Mikkel.8427

Mikkel.8427

Tell the people to afk in Obsidian Refugium, you get the rewards correctly applied, a lot of Players do not know this

I did not think/know about that. I’ll afk in there from now on.

There should still be a “cash out” option. Have it lock you out of being able to obtain participation for like 20 mins after you use it, though.

in WvW

Posted by: Malerian.8435

Malerian.8435

This is the one thing that aught to be changed. Maybe make it so you have to kill a Guard at the very least every 2-3 minutes or something. Typically I am always fighting or using siege in WvW so I am not one that AFK farms. But I can see where this has become a issue with ques.

But on the other hand it will not be a issue for long. Most players that do not run WvW on a daily basis will realize sooner than later that they can not obtain the back piece or ascended gear overnight. They will have to work very hard to obtain it. That being said about 50-75% of these people will quit after a week or two, and WvW will get back some normality again.

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

The way I look at it, there are actually two main issues here:

1. AFK farmers preventing other players from logging on to play WvW (and by this, I mean both players who are either sitting in base waiting for their participation to expire before logging off, or players who are just hiding around somewhere on the map, darting out to capture a Sentry or kill a Dolyak to keep their participation up, and then darting off to hide again without giving any meaningful contribution to their server)

2. The high ticket+Memories cost of the new rewards, which is the root cause of what is driving these players to do AFK farming. Sure, I get that these skins are meant to be cosmetic rewards for long-time, dedicated WvW players, but the fact of the matter is that other players want them, and if having to spoil the playtime of lots of other players is the fastest way to get them, then by the Six, they’ll do it.

There’s a number of different ways I feel this situation could be addressed, so here’s my thoughts on them:

a) Re-split the servers.

Pros: This will instantly create many more match-ups and thus eliminate queues.

Cons: This could also be a return to the “bad old days” where server imbalances means that one server basically just runs roughshod over its rivals, who can’t even muster enough strength to mount a proper defense, or even cap objectives. I saw this happen a lot on my server, Tarnished Coast. For a long time, we were called Tier 1.5, because we didn’t have the numbers to compete properly with the Tier 1 servers, but we were far too populated for Tier 2 servers, who we trounced handily whenever we got matched up with them.

b) Adjust the speed/ratio at which Skirmish rewards are given out, including a “cash out” option which basically gives you all the remaining pips you would have earned had you stayed for another 10 minutes.

Pros: Since WvW is a game mode that relies on having a moderate level of population at all times, ANet needs to consider giving it high “throughput”. Think of it like a busy restaurant at mealtimes. If the Skirmish rewards remain capped per week, then it benefits the mode as a whole to get “customers” full and out the door so that they can make room for new customers. The faster people are “done” and leave, the less impact they will have on queues.

Alternatively, another possible solution is to extend the time limit between skirmish resets (say, to four weeks), and increase the amount of tickets + Memories given out by a factor of 5. (I would have used 10, but I’m guessing ANet would deem that to be too generous.) Furthermore, repeats of the Diamond tier continue to give tickets + Memories. This eases the “time limit panic” that’s compelling players to surge into WvW before the week resets, and allows people to hop into WvW over the course of the month, resulting in a more balanced customer throughput over time. At the same time, truly dedicated fans of WvW who make it their primary gamemode can accrue more currencies over time and get their prestige items sooner.

Cons: In the long-term, this might affect the mode’s viability as players get their rewards and leave. But considering that as it stands, you would need to play WvW for an average of 1.5 – 2 hours every day for TWO YEARS to get all the rewards, I think the bigger danger is new players getting disheartened at how far away the goalposts are and giving up. Remember the collapse in player interest in PvP Season 6 and heed that lesson well, ANet!

in WvW

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

c) Adjust down the amount of currencies required for the new rewards so that a week’s worth of play, even if you don’t manage to successfully complete the entire Skirmish track, is still enough to earn you one or two pieces of Exotic gear. (Full completion should earn you 3 – 4 pieces.) Compare this with dungeons in PvE (or even via reward tracks), where you can earn an Exotic piece in about 2 days worth of “work”. Players are ruthlessly efficient when it comes to deciding how they will spend their time in a game; if you want to keep attention in this mode, you will need to ensure that players believe they are not “wasting their time” that could be spent elsewhere.

Pros: This tackles the same issue as B does, but from a different angle.

Cons: This carries more of the same risks that B does, but at a much higher level. I do not favour this solution as much as I do B, but done carefully, it can potentially help which is why I’ve included it here.

d) Do nothing. This operates under the assumption that if queues do not improve, or if players see just how much work they need to do to get their new shinies, players will get fed up and leave, which ironically improves the queue situation.

Pros: No work needs to be done on ANet’s part.

Cons: I feel that taking no action basically works against the whole reason why this update was made in the first place. It annoys long-time players of WvW, and at the same time, it drives off the new blood which WvW desperately needs.

I personally favour Solution B for this whole issue, with perhaps small influences from A and C. There is so much potential in this update, and I honestly do feel that with just a few tweaks here and there, this could be the shot in the arm that WvW needs to remain a fun and engaging game mode for years to come.

in WvW

Posted by: Artaz.3819

Artaz.3819

The fix is to split the servers again and spread people out (loyalty PIP bonus is working against the queue issue).

in WvW

Posted by: Pensadora.9478

Pensadora.9478

Remove the 3 week time gate from pip rewards when moving DOWN tiers. Encourage players and guilds to spread out.

Give reward of tickets when movement is BOTH down and into a low-populated timezone. This will encourage thinking about timezone balancing.

GM of [MAS] – Might and Smarts – WvW
http://www.mas4eva.enjin.com/

in WvW

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Give it a little time for the novelty to wear off and we’ll be back to a less crowded queue

SBI

in WvW

Posted by: Black Frog.9274

Black Frog.9274

People justifying AFK on the basis of “not being able to get back in” are crazy. The reason there’s a queue is… because people are AFK’ing because they’re afraid they won’t be able to get back in. Since the dailies encourage casual players to pop in to get their 3rd completion and leave, let them get in and leave. The queue will drop. I was on at 10 to 12 central last night (after primetime), yet the maps were full of regulars and there were minimal queues. Because the casuals were done for the day. Geez, leave the map and let the others cycle through. This is one of those problems that people make worse with selfish thinking, like people who try to pass everyone in a turn lane and cut in at the last minute, trapping everyone in the main traffic lane behind them while they wait for someone to let them in.

I Like to Run Randomly Around the Map

in WvW

Posted by: miguelsil.6324

miguelsil.6324

People justifying AFK on the basis of “not being able to get back in” are crazy. The reason there’s a queue is… because people are AFK’ing because they’re afraid they won’t be able to get back in. Since the dailies encourage casual players to pop in to get their 3rd completion and leave, let them get in and leave. The queue will drop. I was on at 10 to 12 central last night (after primetime), yet the maps were full of regulars and there were minimal queues. Because the casuals were done for the day. Geez, leave the map and let the others cycle through. This is one of those problems that people make worse with selfish thinking, like people who try to pass everyone in a turn lane and cut in at the last minute, trapping everyone in the main traffic lane behind them while they wait for someone to let them in.

Do you think i should wait 2 hours to back in again jist because pveers want to farm? They dont wait to pve do they?

in WvW

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

People use lazy exploits in this game? Huh, no kidding.
/sarcasm

Truthfully ive never noticed as I am always out looking for fights and camps and such to take…ya know…like a real WvW’er as opposed to a “WvW hipster”

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

The “cash out” button would immediately deplete your participation to zero and give any rewards that you would have earned over the time it would have naturally depleted.

I hope that makes sense.

This is actually a good idea.

in WvW

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I hope that makes sense.

This is actually a good idea.

I also like this idea. I don’t afk, however when I’m done playing for the day I’m obviously going to use the WvW merchant instead of the PvP one because… pips, and then on top of that I’ll wait for reward tick because I can wait another 2 minutes or whatever. I shouldn’t be rewarded for choosing to use the WvW merchant over the PvP one.