ANet, Recognize WVW For What it Should Be...

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Unfortunately this ship has sailed a long time ago, it’s not even a case of having a small window to capitalize, they literally had years to capitalize and just kitten ed right out. They basically threw a winning lottery ticket in the garbage, took a crap in it, then lit it on fire before tossing it into the ocean.

I disagree. The larger playerbase, and therefore, more money, is to be made with casual players.

The hardcore wvw playerbase is a much smaller niche, imo.

Remove hardcore please. For whatever reason people keep trying to connect WvW to hardcore play style in this game or try and connect it to DaOC.

GW2 we have:
PvE / Raids – tethered encounters, quests, and other stuff mixed in with master levels.
WvW – open world PvP spanning borderland and central map, anything goes
sPvP – confined space pvp, limited gear (amulets, runes, sigils)

DaOC – Pre Trials of Atlantis had:
PvE – tethered encounters, quests, to reach max level
RvR – open world pvp, towers, keeps, relics, realm point / rank (12)

Camelot Herald – to post top weekly guilds, players, by class, alliance, etc. Anyone can search / find active player by search if not on top 25. That is each class, guild, and alliance.

Each player was worth 900 points. If 10 people killed or part of kill or healed during kill it was divided. Easy, right? 900 / 10 = each got 90 points. If solo kill then that player got all 900. Easy. Equal share, kittening UTOPIA! Ok, kidding aside, that is generally how it worked.

Play at your pace, solo roaming, duo, guarding gates, taking relics – whatever or however you play, you only PvE to max level of 50. Nothing else you can really do outside craft or player housing until later in the content (Isles expansion or Trials of Atlantis). The end game was to go out, find players, and fight…

But references to DaoC, my own included, are ancient in the world of mmorpgs.
That world does not exist anymore, imo. Except maybe for the upcoming CU, if we ever see it.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Unfortunately this ship has sailed a long time ago, it’s not even a case of having a small window to capitalize, they literally had years to capitalize and just kitten ed right out. They basically threw a winning lottery ticket in the garbage, took a crap in it, then lit it on fire before tossing it into the ocean.

I disagree. The larger playerbase, and therefore, more money, is to be made with casual players.

Actually this has been much debated and the casual base is not more and it also depends on what you mean by casual, I see far more regular daily or every 2 3 day people in this game then once a week people so that wouldnt even make sense, raids is not hardcore, if you mean elitist attitudes that has nothing to do with what your considering what hardcore is, an hour long raid is far from hardcore gaming, if thats the case then every game you can play for an hour is hardcore, every game with a normal difficulty and up is hardcore, you people need to get your facts straight dont spew nonsense if you dont understand gaming please its offensive as hek man.

Sorry, but that doesn’t make any sense at all to me. Why else would so many mmorpgs be going toward an easier “grind”, as well as easier leveling?

The “hardcore” players that existed 10-15 years ago are now older, have more real life responsibilities, longer hours required by their jobs, family, etc. Sure, the younger playerbase is more hard core, but the older playerbase has more money to spend on these games, hence the movement to more casual based mmorpgs.

Jmo, of course.

That is just an assumption plenty of us old schoolers want to actually work in our games then pay to win stuff and im sorry but your playing the wrong game for that in the first place, guild wars 2 is far from pay for advancement, most people I know from eq and stuff have full time jobs and certainly dont want boring easy mode in an rpg in the first place, allot of them who arent interested in playing much stick to single player games anyways, you either like rpgs your you dont, regardless of it being an mmo.

Also those mmorpgs that have catered to super easy mode only decided to do that after they got older and are now failing as mmorpgs.

Anyways what you stated has nothing to with my point we are talking about what hardcore vs casual actually means, and your definition of it is twisted.

(edited by Ryou.2398)

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

But references to DaoC, my own included, are ancient in the world of mmorpgs.
That world does not exist anymore, imo. Except maybe for the upcoming CU, if we ever see it.

Agreed. CU is so far out none of us know and nothing else is really around at the moment to lure the WvW community. If there was, we would be in far worse shape then we already are.

And not sure how it is for you, if you play that is, but here on Ebay we are a pair fighting against a trio and foursome. And probably will for another two or three weeks. If Arena Net is trying to send a message…

Consider it received!

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Posted by: Nuzt.7894

Nuzt.7894

It doesn’t matter who is hardcore, who is not, and who has the larger playerbase. WvW has lost both Hardcore and Casual players, the populations make that pretty obvious. Now take into account the games on the horizon that will cater to these crowds and you get the ship has sailed.

I don’t know why people have to try and turn everything into a hardcore vs casual debate, if casuals make up the majority then it’s pretty obvious that we have lost an enormous amount of them compared to the first year and a half.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

You have to be kidding. Did you ever play DaoC(or Everquest, LotRo, CoH, AoC, Aion, etc) in its original, exceptionally grindy form? And Mark Jacobs wants to make CU even more hardcore than that.

It took many months to get to the highest levels in those games, unless you could spend 8 hours+ a day in front of your monitor. GW2 to get to highest levels takes mere weeks, even for a casual player. And yea, it takes a lot longer to get legendaries, but they aren’t required to be successful in the game.

People who think that GW2 is grindy make me chuckle, as it is so easy compared to earlier mmorpgs. Have you ever played an mmorpg that had serious death penatlites, (where you lost gear, xp, etc.) only gave xp for very certain things, or required you to grind killing thousands of npcs for certain goals???

Think Korean mmorpgs. (they’re far worse than the original grindy mmorpgs were here in the states, but you get the jist….)

GW2 is a casual player’s paradise, imo. That is the main reason that attracted me and my wife to this game……we wanted to get away from the really nasty grinds….and this game has delivered that.

Maybe 10-15 years ago I would have accepted that kind of grindy mmorpg, as that is all there was, then. But, GW2 has proved that playing an mmorpg doesn’t have to feel like a job, as the earlier mmorpgs were. It can be just about fun, and playing the game on your own, casual schedule, and STILL making substantial progress in the game.

Indeed. The “hardcore” crowd seem to remember the past through rose tinted glasses. Just look at the new games. BDO has been bleeding players, unlike the first month where it was crowded every single day. When people still had hope they could compete. Now… the “hardcore” is all that’s left clinging to a dying game that literally no new players can get into. And BDO still had to change things to be more casual. They had to change the death penalties and they have boosted XP and ton and nerfed mobs so bosses are laughable now instead of insta-killing you.

People that want this kind of “hardcore”… Cripes, you can have it. I just want a fun and social game where I can fight a fantasy war every night if I want and still go “yeah that player is better than me, I could have killed him if I had more skill or maybe change a few skills and build” instead of thinking “yep I died now I lost 3 weeks of progress to a guy that I did 1% damage too because he had gear a tier higher than me that’s gonna take me 3 months to get”. Just… No.

There is a reason GW2 is still a thing.

in WvW

Posted by: MilkCarton.4087

MilkCarton.4087

WvW and spvp is only carried by gw2’s smooth combat. Otherwise, it lacks so much content it can even be considered a minigame at this point. I say this as someone who almost exclusively plays pvp content. I quit 2 years ago and just came back couple of months ago and everything is still exactly the same in wvw and spvp except with the addition of stronghold. Yet somehow, anet still wants this game to be an esports.

As a note to the hardcore vs casual debate, I think people are confusing hardcore vs casual with good and bad players. I don’t consider people who grind 6 hours a day in pve for legendaries to be considered casual but some of them completely flop at more difficult content. Actually, the pve players in this game is anything but casual. So many of them have fancy skins and legendaries with over 10k AP and 100+ mastery.

in WvW

Ryou.2398

You have to be kidding. Did you ever play DaoC(or Everquest, LotRo, CoH, AoC, Aion, etc) in its original, exceptionally grindy form? And Mark Jacobs wants to make CU even more hardcore than that.

It took many months to get to the highest levels in those games, unless you could spend 8 hours+ a day in front of your monitor. GW2 to get to highest levels takes mere weeks, even for a casual player. And yea, it takes a lot longer to get legendaries, but they aren’t required to be successful in the game.

People who think that GW2 is grindy make me chuckle, as it is so easy compared to earlier mmorpgs. Have you ever played an mmorpg that had serious death penatlites, (where you lost gear, xp, etc.) only gave xp for very certain things, or required you to grind killing thousands of npcs for certain goals???

Think Korean mmorpgs. (they’re far worse than the original grindy mmorpgs were here in the states, but you get the jist….)

GW2 is a casual player’s paradise, imo. That is the main reason that attracted me and my wife to this game……we wanted to get away from the really nasty grinds….and this game has delivered that.

Maybe 10-15 years ago I would have accepted that kind of grindy mmorpg, as that is all there was, then. But, GW2 has proved that playing an mmorpg doesn’t have to feel like a job, as the earlier mmorpgs were. It can be just about fun, and playing the game on your own, casual schedule, and STILL making substantial progress in the game.

Indeed. The “hardcore” crowd seem to remember the past through rose tinted glasses. Just look at the new games. BDO has been bleeding players, unlike the first month where it was crowded every single day. When people still had hope they could compete. Now… the “hardcore” is all that’s left clinging to a dying game that literally no new players can get into. And BDO still had to change things to be more casual. They had to change the death penalties and they have boosted XP and ton and nerfed mobs so bosses are laughable now instead of insta-killing you.

People that want this kind of “hardcore”… Cripes, you can have it. I just want a fun and social game where I can fight a fantasy war every night if I want and still go “yeah that player is better than me, I could have killed him if I had more skill or maybe change a few skills and build” instead of thinking “yep I died now I lost 3 weeks of progress to a guy that I did 1% damage too because he had gear a tier higher than me that’s gonna take me 3 months to get”. Just… No.

There is a reason GW2 is still a thing.

No thats because of bdos pvp system, considering it wasnt much of a pve game to begin with anyways, not to mention it doesnt appeal to allot of western gamers, there is a reason why older mmorpgs like eq1 are still around and why they had the classic 15 a month for so long.

in WvW

Ryou.2398

WvW and spvp is only carried by gw2’s smooth combat. Otherwise, it lacks so much content it can even be considered a minigame at this point. I say this as someone who almost exclusively plays pvp content. I quit 2 years ago and just came back couple of months ago and everything is still exactly the same in wvw and spvp except with the addition of stronghold. Yet somehow, anet still wants this game to be an esports.

As a note to the hardcore vs casual debate, I think people are confusing hardcore vs casual with good and bad players. I don’t consider people who grind 6 hours a day in pve for legendaries to be considered casual but some of them completely flop at more difficult content. Actually, the pve players in this game is anything but casual. So many of them have fancy skins and legendaries with over 10k AP and 100+ mastery.

Yes people are very confused as to what casual and hardcore means.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

I’ve never played and don’t claim anything is better than wvw right now, but I’m seeing a lot of streamers talk about how ESO is starting to get their wvw style in order and improving. Not sure if anyone can confess to that but seems like it may be worth a try.

I am excited about DAOC though, looks fun.

Dude have you seen the running animation for DAOC, those animations are 5x crappier than LOTRO!

On early stages of a games it is normal, for graphics and animations to be like that.

Ryou.2398&MilkCarton.4087, gw2 pve players == skrits and hardcore skrits :P, anything they do they think it is hardcore, it is all about shinies.
No shinies? Skrit complain there no endgame.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Ryou.2398

I’ve never played and don’t claim anything is better than wvw right now, but I’m seeing a lot of streamers talk about how ESO is starting to get their wvw style in order and improving. Not sure if anyone can confess to that but seems like it may be worth a try.

Dude have you seen the running animation for DAOC, those animations are 5x crappier than LOTRO!

On early stages of a games it is normal, for graphics and animations to be like that.

The new unleashed version of doac is still in pre alpha I think.

in WvW

Posted by: Matronpain.9630

Matronpain.9630

Um, there is a little ol’ game called EVE.
Bit of Militia, 1vs1 and up.
Corp vs Corp.
Alliance vs Alliance.
Worlds biggest battles (even hit the world wide news).
Get bored, raid a new starter area.
Puberty hasn’t hit yet then join CODE, gank people who’s ships cant fight back.

Think it costs a lot? Look around, a starter account can cost you a few pounds and if you play wise that’s all it will ever cost you.

If you just want pug or guild fighting there’s always WOT.

Some games may be old but the excitement in battles is up to you, not the game.

I don’t like elites here, some people didn’t like my bomber fleet in EVE, EVE set restrictions on OP, will this game?

in WvW

Posted by: Mysteriax.6049

Mysteriax.6049

Thank you all for replying to this thread.

As we have discussed above, Camelot Unchained is still very far from release. Black Desert Online is steadily losing players, and ESO lacks serious competition to GW2 due to its combat mechanics.

Therefore, ArenaNet still has sole control of the RvR market.

As several people have stated before, WvW players of all backgrounds who have left the game can and will return to GW2 if the proper reforms are made to the game-mode.

This is a serious business opportunity, ANet. You have the chance to monopolize on a lucrative market with little to no competition. Please, listen to your WvW community and make the kind of fundamental changes necessary to revolutionize your game-mode.

Bad Axxe
Blissful Epidemic [Blis]
Gate of Madness

(edited by Mysteriax.6049)

in WvW

Teon.5168

Actually this has been much debated and the casual base is not more and it also depends on what you mean by casual, I see far more regular daily or every 2 3 day people in this game then once a week people so that wouldnt even make sense, raids is not hardcore, if you mean elitist attitudes that has nothing to do with what your considering what hardcore is, an hour long raid is far from hardcore gaming, if thats the case then every game you can play for an hour is hardcore, every game with a normal difficulty and up is hardcore, you people need to get your facts straight dont spew nonsense if you dont understand gaming please its offensive as hek man.

Sorry, but that doesn’t make any sense at all to me. Why else would so many mmorpgs be going toward an easier “grind”, as well as easier leveling?

The “hardcore” players that existed 10-15 years ago are now older, have more real life responsibilities, longer hours required by their jobs, family, etc. Sure, the younger playerbase is more hard core, but the older playerbase has more money to spend on these games, hence the movement to more casual based mmorpgs.

Jmo, of course.

That is just an assumption plenty of us old schoolers want to actually work in our games then pay to win stuff and im sorry but your playing the wrong game for that in the first place, guild wars 2 is far from pay for advancement, most people I know from eq and stuff have full time jobs and certainly dont want boring easy mode in an rpg in the first place, allot of them who arent interested in playing much stick to single player games anyways, you either like rpgs your you dont, regardless of it being an mmo.

Also those mmorpgs that have catered to super easy mode only decided to do that after they got older and are now failing as mmorpgs.

Anyways what you stated has nothing to with my point we are talking about what hardcore vs casual actually means, and your definition of it is twisted.

Where on earth did I say anything about “pay for advancement”?

I think you may have misinterpreted my comment about people having more money to spend on games…..I meant more money to buy games in general, not sitting on one’s kitten in front of the gem store.

Which brings up an amusing, if somewhat sickening side note…..couple weeks back I loaded up a few older mmorpgs that are now f2p……and every single one of them had some sort of form of gem store…..just shook my head and laughed when I saw that. (And yea, I understand that they need to make money)

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Ryou.2398

Jmo, of course.

Where on earth did I say anything about “pay for advancement”?

I think you may have misinterpreted my comment about people having more money to spend on games…..I meant more money to buy games in general, not sitting on one’s kitten in front of the gem store.

Which brings up an amusing, if somewhat sickening side note…..couple weeks back I loaded up a few older mmorpgs that are now f2p……and every single one of them had some sort of form of gem store…..just shook my head and laughed when I saw that. (And yea, I understand that they need to make money)

Yea after lotro changed the f2p system and truly introduced it most current mmorpgs started doing this and its very sad, no one liked this and preferred a simple sub fee a month or buy to play and this is the reason they always end up failing, the only reason these new players dont get it is because they didnt see the difference tne the lack of passion and design in general that happens in new mmos like that from the older ones.

Atleast anet cares about the game so thats the main reason why im sticking around with this one.

in WvW

Teon.5168

I don’t miss the monthly sub at all, and I don’t really think it has affected the games that much….sure, f2p is quite limited in most games, but once you buy the game everything is cool. I frankly hope to never see monthly subs again, altho I like some of the games’ idea of having a premium sort of membership for those that want to have a monthly fee and some added extras/bonuses for their character. Eso’s premium membership is an interesting example.

And as long as GW2 is still fun to play, I’ll be here.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Ryou.2398

I don’t miss the monthly sub at all, and I don’t really think it has affected the games that much….sure, f2p is quite limited in most games, but once you buy the game everything is cool. I frankly hope to never see monthly subs again, altho I like some of the games’ idea of having a premium sort of membership for those that want to have a monthly fee and some added extras/bonuses for their character. Eso’s premium membership is an interesting example.

I miss it, and it has changed them for the worst, you use to get everything in the game including cosmetics lets not pretend games like eq1 didnt have glowing weapons either and awesome looking mounts.

in WvW

Posted by: Steelo.4597

Steelo.4597

I don’t think the ship has sailed.. this is still the best action combat out there. its still a huge company with lots of money and people to make stuff happen. It would be no problem to make diamond out of this rough gem (except the technical issues). however.. the people in charge are not competitive gamers (the few of them who sometimes dip into it – are assigned to pvp), they never played a game competitively in their life, they got hired to create PVE content and build fantasy dreamland, not a competitive RvR game. and that is the only reason this game mode will go nowhere ever – the people who have their hands on this game are not competent to build the thing we want to play and they arent even interested… they never thought this game mode would go anywhere and they still dont and even if they were interested to make it happen they couldnt because they lack insight and experience. but that’s really all of it – game is anet’s property and they can do whatever they want with it and they arent the first ones to run brillant designs into the ground either, first rvr game i played 15+ years ago was a huge success right untill the devs started to sell upgrade materials for money – game closed half year later and nobody ever heard from it since. it doesnt take much to kitten things up in rvr games..

i fear we will look back to this day and remember the good old wvw as it is now – Jan 2015

(edited by Steelo.4597)

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Steelo.4597

An interesting point there, what do you give/upgrade/add to a game, when the main content are other players ?

If they have a game, that is balanced (close enough), and have a RvR function that is function-able but not perfect. If they want to sell more or sell expansion packs etc, or make players pay for more, what do you give them ?

Curious since the ones I’ve seen or heard about seems to have gone pretty bad once they start expanding on them. At some point people just don’t care about more skins and toys they can’t use in wvw anyways

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Teon.5168

I miss it, and it has changed them for the worst, you use to get everything in the game including cosmetics lets not pretend games like eq1 didnt have glowing weapons either and awesome looking mounts.

I hated eq1. The death penalties alone were enough to make me quit that game. I had a good friend who loved it, and I constantly shook my head when he couldn’t come out for a couple beers because he had scheduled some 4-6 hour long time period to join some eq1 friends for some silly raid/boss battles in eq1……lol. (Tequatl in GW2 is pretty much the limit for me anymore for a ‘long’ boss battle) I like shinies just like the next guy, but they don’t make or break the game for me…lol. After all, in the end, they’re just pixels.

Some of the many reasons why I love GW2. No death penalties or mind numbing multiple hour long boss battles and such. Just fun at whatever pace I happen to be in the mood for when I play. A wonderful diversion after the 9-5 day.

And, probably the reason behind my first paragraph of this post is that I was already into my 40s when mmorpgs really started to become ‘the thing’. If I had played those games when I had been in my late teens and/or early 20s, my attitude probably would have been a lot different. Space Invaders and Missile Command were the arcade games of choice when I was in my early 20s. Yea, that dates me, but also probably explains my attitude about mmorpgs now. (Altho I did get pretty serious about DaoC for quite some time)

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Ryou.2398

I hated eq1. The death penalties alone were enough to make me quit that game. I had a good friend who loved it, and I constantly shook my head when he couldn’t come out for a couple beers because he had scheduled some 4-6 hour long time period to join some eq1 friends for some silly raid/boss battles in eq1……lol. (Tequatl in GW2 is pretty much the limit for me anymore for a ‘long’ boss battle) I like shinies just like the next guy, but they don’t make or break the game for me…lol. After all, in the end, they’re just pixels.

Some of the many reasons why I love GW2. No death penalties or mind numbing multiple hour long boss battles and such. Just fun at whatever pace I happen to be in the mood for when I play. A wonderful diversion after the 9-5 day.

And, probably the reason behind my first paragraph of this post is that I was already into my 40s when mmorpgs really started to become ‘the thing’. If I had played those games when I had been in my late teens and/or early 20s, my attitude probably would have been a lot different. Space Invaders and Missile Command were the arcade games of choice when I was in my early 20s. Yea, that dates me, but also probably explains my attitude about mmorpgs now. (Altho I did get pretty serious about DaoC for quite some time)

I agree that eq had to much penality but it did make it really rewarding as well, but if anything mmo worlds have gone way way way to easy, no mystery, no danger, and it certainly makes worlds feel less alive you know? There where many other reasons to love eq, your class actually mattered, your role mattered, unique classes, loads of classes, deep group mechanics, the community relied on each others buffs and for a while teleport ability to get around or escorts from bard speed! The list goes on, eq1 had the best group experience ive had in an mmorpg, I would think city of heroes did it better if it wasnt for the shallow content it had. As far as team mechanics, classes, and customization went coh was light years ahead then any current mmorpg right now.

My point was in older mmos you would get everything for paying that 15 a month, I understand that for now thats the way it is and I accept that mmorpgs have changed this, but it doesnt mean a 15 a month mmorpg cannot do well, im pretty sure eve still is going strong.

in WvW

Ryou.2398

I don’t think the ship has sailed.. this is still the best action combat out there. its still a huge company with lots of money and people to make stuff happen. It would be no problem to make diamond out of this rough gem (except the technical issues). however.. the people in charge are not competitive gamers (the few of them who sometimes dip into it – are assigned to pvp), they never played a game competitively in their life, they got hired to create PVE content and build fantasy dreamland, not a competitive RvR game. and that is the only reason this game mode will go nowhere ever – the people who have their hands on this game are not competent to build the thing we want to play and they arent even interested… they never thought this game mode would go anywhere and they still dont and even if they were interested to make it happen they couldnt because they lack insight and experience. but that’s really all of it – game is anet’s property and they can do whatever they want with it and they arent the first ones to run brillant designs into the ground either, first rvr game i played 15+ years ago was a huge success right untill the devs started to sell upgrade materials for money – game closed half year later and nobody ever heard from it since. it doesnt take much to kitten things up in rvr games..

I have to agree with this, I think the focus should be pve as well, wvw just isnt that interesting to me. Maybe they could make it more complex but I dont see how.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

The new unleashed version of doac is still in pre alpha I think.

yeah somewhere 2018-2019+?… i bet, needs alot of shaving, and the game is huge, only the combat sytem itself is really good an complex within a very interesting concept.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Teon.5168

I agree that eq had to much penality but it did make it really rewarding as well, but if anything mmo worlds have gone way way way to easy, no mystery, no danger, and it certainly makes worlds feel less alive you know? There where many other reasons to love eq, your class actually mattered, your role mattered, unique classes, loads of classes, deep group mechanics, the community relied on each others buffs and for a while teleport ability to get around or escorts from bard speed! The list goes on, eq1 had the best group experience ive had in an mmorpg, I would think city of heroes did it better if it wasnt for the shallow content it had. As far as team mechanics, classes, and customization went coh was light years ahead then any current mmorpg right now.

My point was in older mmos you would get everything for paying that 15 a month, I understand that for now thats the way it is and I accept that mmorpgs have changed this, but it doesnt mean a 15 a month mmorpg cannot do well, im pretty sure eve still is going strong.

You make some very interesting points. You sound similar to my friend that loved EQ1. I got into DaoC for similar reasons, but for the fabulous wvw/rvr…..my EQ friend never liked that aspect of DaoC. I, however, loved it.

But that was then. Progression back then was like watching grass grow. I DID get into it, as DaoC back then was almost as slow as EQ1. And yea, when you hit the top level, that was a HUGE deal. Your guildies rejoiced, players in game congratulated you…..it WAS a big deal. But I don’t miss that anymore.

And yea, CoH was a very cool game. It had a ton of potential, but the content was severely lacking. I enjoyed that game, and would have continued with it had it gotten close to its potential.

But not anymore. I enjoy the casual style now, no death penalties, no hours long boss battles, no ToA to be sure you are at your peak for wvw……I find now that I still feel a sense of accomplishment without all the absurd penalties and jaw droppingly slow progress. Life is different now, so my priorities for a game are, as well.

That is the problem I currently have with ESO……the game has real potential, but progression reminds me of the older mmorpgs, even with the premium account and permanent xp boost. I doubt if I will last long enough to really get into the pvp/wvw that that game has.

It is just a case of me getting older and my priorities changing. I really don’t want hardcore anymore. I don’t want to buy a game for that, and I have no desire to do that again. There are plenty of absurd, grindy Asian games out there for those that want grindy, hardcore, etc…..

It is nice to have one mmorpg that caters to the casuals…..finally.

That is why both me and my wife enjoy GW2 so much. Unless something drastically changes, I imagine that we’ll be here for years to come.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Ryou.2398

You make some very interesting points. You sound similar to my friend that loved EQ1. I got into DaoC for similar reasons, but for the fabulous wvw/rvr…..my EQ friend never liked that aspect of DaoC. I, however, loved it.

But that was then. Progression back then was like watching grass grow. I DID get into it, as DaoC back then was almost as slow as EQ1. And yea, when you hit the top level, that was a HUGE deal. Your guildies rejoiced, players in game congratulated you…..it WAS a big deal. But I don’t miss that anymore.

And yea, CoH was a very cool game. It had a ton of potential, but the content was severely lacking. I enjoyed that game, and would have continued with it had it gotten close to its potential.

But not anymore. I enjoy the casual style now, no death penalties, no hours long boss battles, no ToA to be sure you are at your peak for wvw……I find now that I still feel a sense of accomplishment without all the absurd penalties and jaw droppingly slow progress. Life is different now, so my priorities for a game are, as well.

That is the problem I currently have with ESO……the game has real potential, but progression reminds me of the older mmorpgs, even with the premium account and permanent xp boost. I doubt if I will last long enough to really get into the pvp/wvw that that game has.

It is just a case of me getting older and my priorities changing. I really don’t want hardcore anymore. I don’t want to buy a game for that, and I have no desire to do that again. There are plenty of absurd, grindy Asian games out there for those that want grindy, hardcore, etc…..

That is why both me and my wife enjoy GW2 so much. Unless something drastically changes, I imagine that we’ll be here for years to come.

I have proroties to as well but you cannot compare older mmos to eso, I think your confusing the journey with endgame which are two seperate things, hardly any mmorpgs have anything about the journey anymore except eso, regardless of how busy we are you will get to max level, your not going to get max level in a month, do you not like regular rpgs? I dont understand whats so bad about slowler leveling as long as you get new stuff while you level its great. Anyone can play games like skyrim casually same goes for eso.

Now eq was a bit much im not saying it wasnt, not sure if you understood me before but im saying this again. But it doesnt mean you need no consequences for death or mistakes in general, rpgs are suppose to be about progression and sense of reward.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

I really didn’t enjoy eso that much either. My old guild [STUN] went on to it, and we immediately felt like it was slow, not the leveling aspect, just the combat itself felt slow and fps more than anything. Eventually players moved to smite and other games where it felt more active.

in WvW

Teon.5168

I have proroties to as well but you cannot compare older mmos to eso, I think your confusing the journey with endgame which are two seperate things, hardly any mmorpgs have anything about the journey anymore except eso, regardless of how busy we are you will get to max level, your not going to get max level in a month, do you not like regular rpgs? I dont understand whats so bad about slowler leveling as long as you get new stuff while you level its great. Anyone can play games like skyrim casually same goes for eso.

Now eq was a bit much im not saying it wasnt, not sure if you understood me before but im saying this again. But it doesnt mean you need no consequences for death or mistakes in general, rpgs are suppose to be about progression and sense of reward.

First off, just to be clear, when I am speaking of priorities, I am speaking more of game priorities rather than life priorities.

I just have a different view about mmorpgs than you do. I think it is as simple as that. I don’t neeed or even want to get to max level really quick. It is just that the journey, especially after playing so many mmorpgs, is so similar in all of them. Pretty much the same formula(with or without death penalties), that I just don’t get the same sort of excitement out of them that I used to. It is not so much the games as it is me.

Yea, the journey can be interesting, to a point. The rewards? I just don’t see them as rewards anymore. It is just a game to me, and the ‘rewards’ translate into higher points of progression and/or some new shiney for doing some structured or non-structured event in the game and successfully completing it. It isn’t some reward to me….it is just another bauble and/or promotion/upgrade along the way of playing the game.

I suppose maybe I need to view ESO more like I did skyrim and the other chapters in the Elder Scrolls series. Go off and do what I want to, rather than following the story and/or quests and missions just for the purpose of progression. Doing that always made the other games in that series a lot more fun and interesting. I probably need to try that and see how the game feels.

On your point of subs, I imagine that EvE will always have a sub. It is just too complex, and such a different beast from any of the other mmorpgs out there. I have played and quit it several times, and that game still intrigues me. I wish I had more time to enjoy it, as that game seems to really need the player to be able to commit a good amount of time to it to really get the enjoyment factor out of it. (And yea, it has one of the worst death penalties out there in it, BUT, one can buy ‘insurance’ in game to cover that nasty penalty. You forget to keep your insurance or pod protection up to date, well then it is your own fault when the death penalty hammer comes down on you.)

With GW2, I just enjoy it for the fun of it. As long as I get some chuckles and smiles in game, whether it be actually playing or bantering with my guild friends, then I am good. Parts of the game bore the heck out of me, but parts of it I enjoy immensely. I suppose one could call it mindless fun at times, and it is, at times……but it is still silly fun.

As far as death penalties in general? I don’t mind not ever having to deal with them. But that is just me. I understand there are those that view that as crucial to the immersion factor and challenge, and more power to ya………but I view it as nothing more than a severe annoyance and hindrance to my game fun.

I think we just have very differing opinions on what a mmorpg should be, and/or what it needs to be to be fun.

And that’s cool.

Thanks for the interesting discussion on it.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Teon.5168

I really didn’t enjoy eso that much either. My old guild [STUN] went on to it, and we immediately felt like it was slow, not the leveling aspect, just the combat itself felt slow and fps more than anything. Eventually players moved to smite and other games where it felt more active.

Yea, the combat mechanics in ESO are a bit slow and odd, but they are true to the Elder Scrolls series. The earlier single player games in that series had almost identical combat mechanics.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I believe it would require a commitment that MO isn’t prepared to make for the following reasons;

• He gave the WvW players an overflow map, regular WvWers hated it.
  • He gave the WvW players a new map, many regular WvWers hated it.
  • The WvW players can’t agree on what WvW “should be” anyway.

Why would he put effort into a new project when he can’t even guarantee that it will be popular? At least the living story players seem to enjoy their new content.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

in WvW

Ryou.2398

First off, just to be clear, when I am speaking of priorities, I am speaking more of game priorities rather than life priorities.

I just have a different view about mmorpgs than you do. I think it is as simple as that. I don’t neeed or even want to get to max level really quick. It is just that the journey, especially after playing so many mmorpgs, is so similar in all of them. Pretty much the same formula(with or without death penalties), that I just don’t get the same sort of excitement out of them that I used to. It is not so much the games as it is me.

Yea, the journey can be interesting, to a point. The rewards? I just don’t see them as rewards anymore. It is just a game to me, and the ‘rewards’ translate into higher points of progression and/or some new shiney for doing some structured or non-structured event in the game and successfully completing it. It isn’t some reward to me….it is just another bauble and/or promotion/upgrade along the way of playing the game.

I suppose maybe I need to view ESO more like I did skyrim and the other chapters in the Elder Scrolls series. Go off and do what I want to, rather than following the story and/or quests and missions just for the purpose of progression. Doing that always made the other games in that series a lot more fun and interesting. I probably need to try that and see how the game feels.

On your point of subs, I imagine that EvE will always have a sub. It is just too complex, and such a different beast from any of the other mmorpgs out there. I have played and quit it several times, and that game still intrigues me. I wish I had more time to enjoy it, as that game seems to really need the player to be able to commit a good amount of time to it to really get the enjoyment factor out of it. (And yea, it has one of the worst death penalties out there in it, BUT, one can buy ‘insurance’ in game to cover that nasty penalty. You forget to keep your insurance or pod protection up to date, well then it is your own fault when the death penalty hammer comes down on you.)

With GW2, I just enjoy it for the fun of it. As long as I get some chuckles and smiles in game, whether it be actually playing or bantering with my guild friends, then I am good. Parts of the game bore the heck out of me, but parts of it I enjoy immensely. I suppose one could call it mindless fun at times, and it is, at times……but it is still silly fun.

As far as death penalties in general? I don’t mind not ever having to deal with them. But that is just me. I understand there are those that view that as crucial to the immersion factor and challenge, and more power to ya………but I view it as nothing more than a severe annoyance and hindrance to my game fun.

I think we just have very differing opinions on what a mmorpg should be, and/or what it needs to be to be fun.

And that’s cool.

Thanks for the interesting discussion on it.

Yes I understand you view them differently but we are discussing the differences and explaining why we like them so it doesnt have to be simple.

But I dont think you remember them very well or dont play rpgs in general if you simply view leveling as another wall and not rewarding leveling usually gives you new abilities to play with, ways to get more powerful like passives and new active abilities, most games that are not rpgs have a similar form of prorgression even mario makes platforming different as you progress which essentially is what getting new abilities in a game, they are new gameplay elements for one to play with and learn how to master and customize a playstyle. Once you reach endgame there isnt much left beyond a gear grind so it doesnt make sense for someone to say they prefer that over leveling.

If you ever played eq they had an awesome alternate advancement ad endgame where you would get new actives and unique passives, more stuff to custmize beyond gear which is really nice in my opinion.

As far as eso goes, yea some people do not like following linear paths maybe your use to eq1 here lol, personally I can enjoy linear or open, but you should try it out for sure.

I feel the same way about guild wars 2, it does leave you room to play other games to which is nice, as far as eve goes yea its a complex game its also a huge pvp game which isnt for me personally, I prefer more pve with light pvp on the side.

in WvW

Teon.5168

But I dont think you remember them very well or dont play rpgs in general if you simply view leveling as another wall and not rewarding leveling usually gives you new abilities to play with, ways to get more powerful like passives and new active abilities, most games that are not rpgs have a similar form of prorgression even mario makes platforming different as you progress which essentially is what getting new abilities in a game, they are new gameplay elements for one to play with and learn how to master and customize a playstyle. Once you reach endgame there isnt much left beyond a gear grind so it doesnt make sense for someone to say they prefer that over leveling.

Oh, I remember that feeling very well. I felt it in Dark Age of Camelot, which is why I stayed with that game for so long. I was very into that game, the immersion factor was excellent for me, and I did feel the ‘rewards’ and such. As well as that being my first true wvw game, and really getting intense with that aspect. My wife and I ran a decent sized guild for years, and really put our hearts and souls into it. So I do know what that sort of intensity, commitment, etc., feels like in a game. And with DaoC, there was a lot left to the game even after you reached ‘endgame’…….the endgame in DaoC was when it all really got challenging, immersive, truly competitive, etc……even with all the problems in that game, the wvw/rvr of the ‘endgame’ was that good.

I just don’t feel that way anymore, is what I was trying to say. I tend to approach games with a much lighter intensity now.

However, EQ1….I just never got into it. One of those games that just didn’t fit me. It was like my friend that was really into EQ1…..I tried to get him into DaoC, but that game didn’t suit him, just like EQ never pushed my buttons. My friend went on and continued with more pve styled games, while I pursued games with wvw. I even went back and tried EQ2 for a bit……and it was similar. Interesting at first, but it also failed to keep my interest. Don’t get me wrong, I like elements of pve, but if there is no wvw, or at least some elements of pvp, pve gets really old for me really fast.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: XerMeLL.6042

XerMeLL.6042

You want to recognize wvw for what it should be?

Add a Legendary Backpack exclusive to WvW, as it is in PvE and PvP.
Make it like in PVE where you are hunting for materials that can only be dropped from NPC’s by chance.

I love WvW, i just hope they give us another reason to play it, not just slaughter people around.

This is the last MMORPG ill play.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I believe it would require a commitment that MO isn’t prepared to make for the following reasons;

• He gave the WvW players an overflow map, regular WvWers hated it.
  • He gave the WvW players a new map, many regular WvWers hated it.

You imply that WvWers will never be satisfied which is just wrong. The DBL was objectively a poor map for WvW. The reasons were pointed out to them with the beta and they ignored the feedback.

EOTM was never just an overflow map and took casual players away from WvW itself and was for a long while just a k train. Legitimate reasons for dislike.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

in WvW

Posted by: Diku.2546

Diku.2546

WvW and spvp is only carried by gw2’s smooth combat.

I totally agree with this statement.

ANet truly has a unique & quality product that WvW currently sits on top of…that allows it to languish since GW2 launched.

WvW has such huge potential, but has a fatal design flaw.

The foundation of WvW Is Not Player Driven…imho

WvW should be an End Game aspect of Guild Wars.

Based on this viewpoint…the reward should be something more intangible to reduce “Reward Creep” from killing this Game Mode in the Long Term.

The intangible reward should be…BRAGGING RIGHTS.

The NFL Superbowl franchise uses this reward quite succesfully…profits would come from other revenue streams.

ANet already has control over player recruitment (f2p), training facilities, game equipment, and all event venues.

ANet seriously needs to redesign their WvW fatal flaw.

Change the foundation of WvW to be Player Driven…Allow players to decide for themselves who they want to fight, but reduce/control the impact that happens when you allow players to decide their own Matchups.

Change the foundation of WvW to be Player Driven…Allow players to play together with all their friends & family…regardless of which World Server they’re on.

Change the foundation of WvW to be Player Driven…Allow players to Off-peak cap, but let players work out a solution themselves.

ANet needs a New Game Mode to fix the serious fatal design flaw of our Current WvW Game Mode…imho.

Player Driven…yet…ANet Controlled.

Yours truly,
Diku

Possible Better Long Term Solution – Google Search – wvg world vs globes

(edited by Diku.2546)