ANet: you have failed to balance WvW again

in WvW

Posted by: Cottage Pie.6215

Cottage Pie.6215

What on earth…who are you paying to make these ‘decisions’?

You don’t actually know what you are doing do you?

I come back from a week long break and find after several losses and settling into more suitable coverage we are effectively back in t1, yet again facing the omnizerg.

You’ve actually managed to break further an already broken system, it’s really quite astonishing!

Taua Roqa – Desolation since day minus 3

~~~My Elite PvP Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04xOsNW7zTA

(edited by Cottage Pie.6215)

in WvW

Posted by: Kathy K.6812

Kathy K.6812

I believe the matchups are completely randomized

in WvW

Posted by: SleepingDragon.1596

SleepingDragon.1596

What on earth…who are you paying to make these ‘decisions’?

You don’t actually know what you are doing do you?

I come back from a week long break and find after several losses and settling into more suitable coverage we are effectively back in t1, yet again facing the omnizerg.

You’ve actually managed to break further an already broken system, it’s really quite astonishing!

Maybe there’s a matchmaker who decides the matches. Can’t be automated… It’s human and thus made errors like this.

To me, the system seems broken because it isn’t random enough when it’s supposed to be random. You have 3 servers who faced off against one another for 3-6 months and yet it’s paired again?

Rinse, repeat, rinse… Thank god “Dragonbash” is available. I’ll go enjoy the fireworks instead.

-S o S-

in WvW

Posted by: Aeros.2046

Aeros.2046

Sorry for you, our match up is looking fun.

[KRTA]
Maguuma

in WvW

Posted by: ErlendR.6107

ErlendR.6107

Another week without gw2 for me S:
Try osu! ><

Proud ex-Kaineng T8 best server ever vs DR & FC
FC
Retired

in WvW

Posted by: snowaugar.1823

snowaugar.1823

Everyone complaining are just casuals

in WvW

Posted by: Spykyone.6517

Spykyone.6517

Dear ANET,
I conplain aswell about the calculation.
How Augury rock (7st) is against Fort Ranik(19st) and Underworld (20st) ?
Since the reset , we have 35k point differences (in 15h) and we are loosing point in general classement.
We tick at 500 all hours and at 7am at maximum available.
!http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/7629/l1y2.jpg!
You should thing about the calculation again.
Why dont you do division like that ?
- Winner is going to upper division.
-Looser is going to down division.
I think i ll be easier for everyone and more funny.
Please think about it !
Best regards,
From Augury Rock who have no match-up and are really bored !

Follicularis – Sylvari Warrior
Warforgis [WaR]
Server Augury Rock

in WvW

Posted by: Inverted.7439

Inverted.7439

Suck it up, put on your big girl pants and move on with your life.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

yup.. i have to agree… ANET failed miserably this time in an attempt to fix WvW….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Shakki.3219

Shakki.3219

Indeed, this system is a total failure you shouldn’t have Servers than max 3-4 Ranks higher than yours..

EU “tier 4” and “tier5” matchup looking amazing so far!!!!111

Reaper – Anguîsh

in WvW

Posted by: Stefan.9360

Stefan.9360

Fail? Who said they’re trying to balance? I don’t think this is some kind of balance.

in WvW

Posted by: Stefan.9360

Stefan.9360

And ofcourse if they don’t put average WvWvW activity in there formulas – don’t expect balance!

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

I’m not sure why there are so many complaints about the new matchups. they look pretty reasonable to me this week. not perfect, of course, but you will rarely get a ‘perfect’ week when there’s any randomness involved. and we definitely need some randomness — the old system had none and we had a lot of problems as a result.

Here are the ranks of the servers in each NA matchup this week:
T1: 1 2 3
T2: 5 7 11
T3: 4 6 8
T4: 9 10 12
T5: 13 14 15
T6: 16 17 20
T7: 18 19 22
T8: 21 23 24

look at that. 8 out of the top 9 servers are in the top 3 matchups. 9 out of the bottom 9 servers are in the bottom 3 matchups, and the middle servers tend to be in the middle matchups.

really the only NA servers that should be complaining are BG, SoR and JQ who are getting exactly the same matchup that the old stagnation-prone system kept giving them over and over (although I wouldn’t be suprised if they actually preferred the stagnation since for them, any match outside of tier 1 might be considered a demotion), and CD (who does have a very difficult match this week against TC and SoS).

and here are the EU matchups:
T1: 1 4 7
T2: 3 5 6
T3: 2 10 11
T4: 8 15 16
T5: 9 17 18
T6: 12 13 14
T7: 19 22 25
T8: 20 21 23
T9: 24 26 27

EU does have a little more room to complain. only 7 out of the top 9 servers got into one of the top 3 matchups. 9 out of the bottom 9 are in the bottom 3 matchups. the middle servers generally are in the middle.

on the surface, Vizunah Square vs Jade Sea vs Desolation looks a bit lopsided, but this is a T1 vs T2 vs T3 match, which is exactly the kind of match you’d expect to see every other week if we were using the Winner-Up-Loser-Down system that so many people are claiming would be better. so there’s little point complaining about that one.

Riverside and Abaddon’s Mouth will have their hands full this week playing Elona Reach (although if RS and AM are anything like Ehmry Bay they’ll be welcoming this opportunity rather than complaining about it). Drakkar Lake and Far Shiverpeaks will similarly have their hands full playing Piken Square this week, just like Fort Ranik and Underworld will versus Augury Rock. these three are all somewhat lopsided matches, but in all cases it’s 1 strong server versus 2 weaker ones, which is a much better outcome than 2 strong servers versus 1 weak opponent (although I can understand why people on FoW and Vabbi might actually prefer such a match, if only to see how it would play out for them).

I do happen to think that the randomness needs to be adjusted down just a bit, but really these matches don’t look that bad. there is some variety in who plays whom, but for the most part the higher servers are playing the higher servers and the lower servers are playing the lower servers.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

(edited by Snowreap.5174)

in WvW

Posted by: thiagoperne.7340

thiagoperne.7340

OP: you have failed to understand it

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I remember ANet introducing WvW before release as massive unballanced Server vs Server. It was never intended to be ballanced.

Who could have thought, it would turn out like that? * sarcasm *

Althoug I very often find myself in an attempt to make ANet balace WvW, I think it aint possible. The only way to really ballance it out might be to make server transfers free and for WvW oriented guilds to spread arround the servers and ballance it out themselfes. This should be combined with a reward system revarding challangeing situations in WvW and make steamrolling a server almost worthless…

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in WvW

Posted by: Dopamine.7502

Dopamine.7502

To be honoust people shouldnt complain so much. We of FoW just stepped our game up the last few days and we actually have our own BL for almost 2 days. Some very good battles in EB against blacktide. Somehow i wish Blue could see us now

in WvW

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

Just do like me, don’t play WvW anymore.. im done with it.

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

in WvW

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

yes magnetron. lack of your map chat trolling has really been noticed lately on deso bl…

luckily, with the influx of new pve players, there is again much to read on map chat. they try to help with a lot of interesting suggestions, so all is in order, even without you.

in WvW

Posted by: Magnetron.5823

Magnetron.5823

yes magnetron. lack of your map chat trolling has really been noticed lately on deso bl…

luckily, with the influx of new pve players, there is again much to read on map chat. they try to help with a lot of interesting suggestions, so all is in order, even without you.

Aww that’s a strange but nice way to say that you miss me

Born in the Desolation. Die for Desolation.

in WvW

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

There’s a sharp decline in demand for food buffs. It appears there’s a lot less people playing WvW these days.

in WvW

Posted by: Dayra.7405

Dayra.7405

Riverside and Abaddon’s Mouth will have their hands full this week playing Elona Reach (although if RS and AM are anything like Ehmry Bay they’ll be welcoming this opportunity rather than complaining about it).

We enjoy it as it’s a local derby, i.e. we can complain about each other in German.
In fact it’s more seen as German #1 vs German #3 vs German #4 than anything else.
But I am also sure, we don’t want to repeat it every week

Ceterum censeo SFR esse delendam!

in WvW

Posted by: Snowreap.5174

Snowreap.5174

Hands full? Talk about an understatement. I’m on one of those servers having a severely lopsided losing matchup third week in a row now. WvW population feels like it’s at an all time low. Certainly similar, maybe even worse, to when we dropped from T1 and before we stabilized into balanced matchups (which took months). It’s gotten to the point i’m seriously considering transferring for the first time to a high rank/pop server. So if this was all a twisted way to increase gem spending then i’d say job well done, not that bad indeed.

I’m not certain what server you’re on, but if it’s one of FSP, AM or FR then the matchup system is working properly for you. It has put you up against a very strong opponent to see how you do, and you are losing rating against them. When your rating goes down, the likelihood of facing those opponents again goes down as well.

The exception is if you’re on AM. in the ER/RS/AM matchup, the big winner is RS who is proving that they are every bit as good as AM and that they shouldn’t have a lower rating than AM. and even though ER is winning (as expected), they aren’t winning by as much as expected so their rating is actually coming down. as a result, AM (and RS) are actually more likely to get this matchup again. if you’re on AM and you don’t want to face ER again you need to lose by more.

This is something the old system never did — it gives lower servers the opportunity more often to prove that they deserve to move up. but that same opportunity to prove that you deserve to move up can also prove that you deserve to stay exactly where you are.

If server strengths never changed once established, the old system could have worked. But server strengths do change over time, and in order to determine when a server is over-rated or under-rated it needs to play a lopsided match now and then, just to make sure that the actual outcomes match the expected outcomes.

It is bad luck to get 3 matches in a row where you’re severely outclassed. I do hope that you have better luck next matchup. on Ehmry Bay we got the worst possible roll for the first week of randomized matchups (we got the exact matchup that everyone was certain they did not want to get), but the next week we got a much better roll that matched us against very high opponents (we lost that match, but we gained rating and we had a lot of fun testing ourselves against a high-rated server). so I do understand how heartbreaking bad luck on the matchups can be.

-ken

The Purge [PURG] – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: woeye.2753

woeye.2753

I remember ANet introducing WvW before release as massive unballanced Server vs Server. It was never intended to be ballanced.

Who could have thought, it would turn out like that? * sarcasm *

Althoug I very often find myself in an attempt to make ANet balace WvW, I think it aint possible. The only way to really ballance it out might be to make server transfers free and for WvW oriented guilds to spread arround the servers and ballance it out themselfes. This should be combined with a reward system revarding challangeing situations in WvW and make steamrolling a server almost worthless…

I feel it would be very hard to find a way for rewarding. At the moment, though, why would you transfer to a low-pop server? It would only hurt you. WvW scales with power. The bigger your zerk the better your performance. The more coverage you can provide the better. And because of this we see “dedicated” WvW servers and … the rest.

Sometimes I wonder if it had been a better idea to have only some servers with WvW enabled. Like those PvP and PvE servers in WoW.

Then again things will even out in some weeks when the new “matchmaking” has balanced out servers. Though I bet it will only show one thing: more players → more power → better ranking.