About the Portals on Towers/Keeps

in WvW

Posted by: Holesale.2640

Holesale.2640

Sure, this has saved me from having to run back to a far off location on the other side of the map a few times but more often than not it creates really silly gameplay situations of people abusing the fact that they can just walk in and out of the portals freely if a fight in the area near the tower/keep isn’t going their way. For example we have the the obvious Elementalist downstate Mist Form which renders them basically them immune to stomping barring immobilization if in range of a allied tower/keep portal, some people choose not to fight entirely because the portal is there thus avoiding confrontation and the point of WvW all together.

People in combat can still use the portals..if they were disabled in combat or had a CD similar to the Asura gate in on the Skyhammer this would be more fun and promote better gameplay habbits. Meeting the opposing team on the battlefield should be a Win or Lose situation 1v1, 5v10, Blob v Blob with the way portals work now it just isn’t fun in to have any skirmishes in range of any towers/keeps.

If you have have any better ideas better ideas or reasons why this would be a good or bad change feel free to discuss below.

(edited by Holesale.2640)

in WvW

Posted by: Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Khezekiah Bellamy.5016

Entering a portal in wvw while in combat should should down you, or if already down, should kill you. problem solved. you still get where you want to go but are penalized

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

In my opinion it should be dangerous being close to an enemies keep. I am amused that some classes can hide in enemy keeps though, I don’t play one of those classes that usually are equipped to do so.

With that being said most games choke exploits that allow players to escape active combat, but here it seems they embraced the opposite which leave me to wonder what can they do at this point?

(edited by Kamara.4187)

in WvW

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

So, you don’t want people to be able to disengage or retreat from combat? Knowing when you’re beat, and being able to successfully escape, are part of most of the PvP games I’ve played.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

So, you don’t want people to be able to disengage or retreat from combat? Knowing when you’re beat, and being able to successfully escape, are part of most of the PvP games I’ve played.

Yes and no. You have to admit that ports do bring something very different to the table when a fist full of combatants can suddenly escape combat at the same time.

in WvW

Posted by: Moonlit.6421

Moonlit.6421

I personally think the mechanic is fine as it is now. Sure, do I find it incredibly annoying when an enemy whose almost dead rushes inside before I can get them or when a downed ele uses mist form to escape my stop, yes. Do I really care though? Nah, I know I won that lol. Besides sometimes it’s needed I mean really think about it. If a Zerg is attacking your tower, and no one is inside to use the siege and defend, how is anyone going to get in when the moment your combat tagged your locked out? Even if it was only a delay do you really think your gonna survive the surrounding enemies waiting for the door to open and let you in lol? I personally believe the mechanic now outweighs the alternatives so I’ll stick with it. =)

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

I like it is fun. The most fun you can have is after an enemy breaks a gate down make them chase you back and forth through it, since you can still use the portal. It makes me giggle everytime.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Yes and no. You have to admit that ports do bring something very different to the table when a fist full of combatants can suddenly escape combat at the same time.

He is talking about the door-portals back into keeps/towers, right? Because it sounds like you’re talking about Mesmer portals. It’s not very sudden if a group of people are escaping into the door-portals, you know they’re there.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

I’d rather see thieves get fixed so they can’t stealth off of walls. Nothing as lame as fighting a thief that constantly stealths off the wall.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

No one should be prevented from going through a portal just because they are put in combat, otherwise how are you ever supposed to get in a tower that is under attack to defend it?

in WvW

Posted by: Eternalight.4708

Eternalight.4708

It would promote blobbing even more as said above merely forcing combat locks you out of what you are trying to save/defend. Some servers would never get waypoints in the keeps anymore if it were like this.

This would only frustrate scouts/defenders even more than they are now.

level 80 Thief – Home Sweet [Home] – Black Lion Mercenary Corps [MERC] ~ Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Well, if the issue is people jumping in and out of it constantly to reset fight, then a personal timer per character could be a possibility. say 5 seconds as an example, not enough to really limit you, but if you’re going yolo out there you got to feel confident you will survive for 5 sec before you can get back in again.

The other complaint I see is Elementalist mistform, the good old ele suicide bomb, flee through the door. Personally I wouldn’t mind saying the mistform on down could not go through portals. Not a titanic loss, just stops some silly stuff.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Entering a portal in wvw while in combat should should down you, or if already down, should kill you. problem solved. you still get where you want to go but are penalized

I can’t really agree with that because what happens to reinforcements that are trying to run into a portal to defend against a siege because the waypoint is contested and there are a few enemy players around ensuring that others get put into combat?

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: GreyWraith.8394

GreyWraith.8394

• Vapor Form is subject to control effects.
  • You don’t like people turtling in towers, so you want to make it harder for defenders to get back into towers once they leave………. You realize they just won’t leave, right?
  • Attackers already have the advantage due to AoE mechanics and poor tower design. This change would shift the balance further in favor of attackers.
  • Sally ports give defenders a usable defensive option. This is as it should be.
End of the Dream by Evanescence
unofficial theme song of the Nightmare Court

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

I think if you defend the structure it’s all fair to go in and out when you need.
If you expect some ‘fair’ duel or small/big scale fight then just do it further away from keep/tower or kill the enemies before they enter it, simple.