An idea to integrate GvG into WvW

in WvW

Posted by: adammantium.8031

adammantium.8031

Hi all,

I’m a passionate WvW player, and greatly enjoy GvG with my guild. I play daily when possible, and have a blast. Some of my best experiences in game have been in epic keep defenses, a Swiss Cheese SMC, and of course, with my guildies in GvG. While watching the developments of both game modes recently, it dawned on me that part of the problem is that we’re seeing them as separate entities, when in fact the two should be incredibly closely linked.

Let me explain further. At the present, all GvG matches take place in an organized, and very much exclusive manner near the South Windmill in Borderlands. They are as cut off from the WvW world as humanly possible. This is the exact opposite of what it should be, and I believe the answer to this lies behind guild claiming of structures.

My proposal would be something like this:
-A guild WvW group rallies at their own spawn point, and goes to take a structure. Of course, pugs are welcome to join.
-Upon taking the structure, the majority guild present claims it.
-Once the tower is claimed, an NPC appears at the front gate of the structure for enemies to speak to. This would allow other guilds to <strong>challenge</strong> the claimers of the structure inside. The commander would despawn after the Lords’ buff timed out. The commander could decide whether to accept or decline the challenge. If the commander declines, the enemies are free to siege and attack the tower as normal.
-Should the commander accept, members of the challenging guild are allowed to enter the portal. From the owners of the tower, only players who participated in the cap are able to enter. They then GvG for ownership of the tower.
-For keeps, players who are not involved can be ported to the battlements to watch.
-After each match, the NPC respawns for another 5 minutes, for another guild to challenge. The NPC will stop respawning after an hour so normal service can resume.

I believe this would lead to some truly awesome fights. Imagine capping SMC with your 30 man group, and fighting guild after guild from the enemy server as they try to wipe you? The enemy even has to invite people into their own guild to try and take you out? Instead of fighting on a patch of grass, you could fight on the steps of the Lord’s rooms! And the experience as a pug, as you run with a more disciplined guild and find yourself caught up in this? It would be truly awesome, and make claiming a tower for your guild really mean something.

Of course, if you don’t have the man power in your guild, you can ignore the challenges, and once the lord’s buff has expired, there’s no difference to the current gameplay either – just siege up and turtle.

Anyway, just an idea to add some variety and personalization to the current gamplay.

[Meow] Adammantium, 80 Warrior

(edited by adammantium.8031)

in WvW

Posted by: NewRequiem.2903

NewRequiem.2903

I like the idea, the whole notion of holding SMC while being challenged constantly (in a hopefully fair way, not just who has more numbers) is a great one! There’s definitely some issues that need to be addressed however:

- Being able to get even numbers, what if a guild has 32 and the other has 30? Would the portal leave 2 behind?
- Anti-spectator, naturally, which is really one of the greatest parts about GvGs
- GvGs often last about an hour, or are you talking about a purely best-of-one type of match? So what happens to the PPT contribution of the tower/castle/keep within that time needs to be addressed

in WvW

Posted by: Fuzzion.2504

Fuzzion.2504

GvG is a future implementation. Expect 15v15 on gem paid matches soon.

Fuzzionx [SF]
Guest member of [LOVE]
JQ official Prime Minister

in WvW

Posted by: adammantium.8031

adammantium.8031

Thanks for the feedback NewRequiem.

There’s certainly a lot okittenks in the idea, I’ll freely admit.

I’d argue that you’re still approaching the idea from the perspective of GvG being retained for what it is now. In that respect, you could still have that by choosing an unoccupied tower (Lake, Briar, Cliffside, Dawn’s etc). The feasibility of GvG is very much on gentlemen’s agreements between guilds, and that can be accommodated easily causing little disruption to the rest of the playerbase.

What I’d love this idea to achieve though, is to bring in the best elements of GvG and integrate them into WvW.

For your first question, I’ll annoyingly reply with another question! Why would it need to be fair? It can be your whole guild against a larger whole guild. If you think your guys are tough enough, fight on no matter the odds. If not, reject the challenge. I know many organized guilds who would love such a scenario though. The hosting guild also has higher ground, and may even be able to place siege.

I’d agree about being anti-spectator. I’d love the ability for observers to enter the battlements during a challenge to watch e.g. look down from the 2nd floor of Lords room in Garrison. Failing that… someone could make some kind of highlights show of the best fights from the week. They could even have a wily, deep and gruff-voiced commentator on it

I don’t feel any changes to the PPT contribution of towers would need to be made. You’re only able to accept challenges for 5 minutes, which is as long as the Lord’s buff is up (when it’s impossible to cap anyway). If you were to win a challenge, that buff could reset.

Again, if no guild is organized enough to challenge for it, then the structure’s status would be exactly the same as it is now.

Finally, Fuzzion, I’d be delighted if that were to happen. I still think this would be a fun addition though.

[Meow] Adammantium, 80 Warrior

in WvW

Posted by: Phantis.4815

Phantis.4815

I’m sorry to tell you this, but even if it’s a produktive and maybe nice idea this threat will shure be moved from wvw-forum. Made a thread myself yesterday about how gvg could be easy implemented and it was moved <2 hours later. They don’t want to see anything about gvg here. Very sad in my opinion.

sorry for my english

(edited by Phantis.4815)

in WvW

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

They don’t want to see suggestion threads outside of the suggestion forum. It’s not a conspiracy against GvG.

in WvW

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

WTF its WvW forum here ! go to suggestions ! ty
So anyone can post in WvW even if it has nothing to do only if the title has WvW in it?
GvG what is ? Should rename it Ego Vs Ego who has the biggest XD ?… Seriously…

(edited by Titan.3472)

in WvW

Posted by: Phantis.4815

Phantis.4815

If they would move it into the suggestions it would be better than what they do now. They move alle gvg related threats to playerorganised ingameevents so nobody sees it again…

sorry for my english