Anet addresses night capping

in WvW

Posted by: stealthmonkey.1563

stealthmonkey.1563

Hi guys, heard a fair bit of discussion regarding night capping, and I figured most players may not have heard the most recent information regarding it:

Worlds in WvW are matched up based on their ranking using a modified Glicko rating,4 so that high-ranked worlds will battle other high-ranked worlds, and low-ranked worlds will battle other low-ranked worlds. This attempts to ensure that every world has a fair chance of winning matches despite differing levels of player participation or skill.5

Source: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_versus_World

As you can see, servers who are unable to mount an effective defence 24/7 will eventually drop in rankings. As they drop to the mid/low end of the pack, you will see less servers able to fight 24/7. This will allow the stronger servers to fight each other, and the weaker servers to fight each other, making for more enjoyment all round. Just hang in there a couple of weeks and the nightcap issue should resolve itself.

in WvW

Posted by: Hrist.8972

Hrist.8972

Yes, wait for things to balance out, no use complaining something that’s in it’s baby steps.

Hrist Unriht – [Hovi] Unseelie Court – Seafarer’s Rest EU

in WvW

Posted by: Mine Laces.7108

Mine Laces.7108

Hopefully there are more 24/7 servers in Europe or the “problem” will persist.

“Smashing doors at 5am … fun fun fun fun fun” Rebecca Black

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

This realy need night caping.
Or just balance the number of players in all battlegrounds so ppl join the less populated servers cause right now the only thing that makes wvwvw are the numbers and the night. A few ppl can take like 50k advance points in 1night vs empty sleeping server.
Far Shiverpeaks as proven that wvwvw is broken, they won to the [FR] multi-timed zone in the weekend when the numbers were the same and now the [FR], they just take 100% during the night, ppl just stop trying cause its pointless to fight so all will be lost to a few hours of sleep.
If they balance the numbers of players joining the wvwvw, they fix the problem of night time “world vs gates” and also encourage ppl to move to less populated servers. —-Its a simple fix

(edited by kefro.9312)

in WvW

Posted by: Igolbug.7295

Igolbug.7295

How do they Balance numbers?

There are no queue times at night for my server and we are the ones doing the night capping. Meaning, there is room for more people if we had them so the numbers are already balanced unless you want them to limit it to 10 people because the other server only has 10 people who want to WvW at that time of night( 6 of them probably camping the end of a jumping puzzle)

Igolbug – 80 Elementalist
The Owl Exterminators
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

As you can see, servers who are unable to mount an effective defence 24/7 will eventually drop in rankings.

Actually, the system has a good chance to consider a server strong in prime time with not night presence and a server weak in prime time with string night presence to be the same level. And so to match them again and again in a situation where both prime time and night time game is unbalanced in a way or another.

IE, the system Will Fail.

in WvW

Posted by: kefro.9312

kefro.9312

Thats my point, if they balance numbers ppl will move to less populated servers cause less players server can win to high populated servers, if they spreed out the population there will be less time queue, rright now all ppl are running to the high populated servers cause the only thing it really counts are the numbers 24/7

in WvW

Posted by: evilbottom.2186

evilbottom.2186

So lets assume that because VS can “mount an effective defence 24/7”, they will remain at the top, and because FS is unable to “mount an effective defence 24/7”, they will drop.

Now, FS already beat VS during the day. Now lets see what happens when they are against opponents that are even lower in the rankings. Oh look, complete domination. Now no one is having fun.

in WvW

Posted by: elvy.9085

elvy.9085

Interesting, “FS beat Vs during day”.

Yeah you did that twice, in 2 wees, with all your main guild present at once, and even then this week end, the difference of point didnt improve much and even reduce a bit sunday. That is what you call domination? :p

The problem of these discussions, is , everyone both side, take for granted that their server is the best.

in WvW

elvy.9085

Would like to add, that if FS actually drop from top tier one day, I can already see the spam on forum about how unfair it is, about how it should be vizunah really that should drop, cause VS is so much less skilled.

You are too predictable, cause all these discussions arent about balancing WvW, it is about how can they change things so you can win.

Will keep that post, to link it when that happens.

in WvW

evilbottom.2186

Interesting, “FS beat Vs during day”.

The problem of these discussions, is , everyone both side, take for granted that their server is the best.

I’m from Desolation, not FS. In a fair match up, FS would beat VS. I saw it happen at the weekend and I have no reason to say these things about the servers which aren’t even mine. Sure, no server dominates the other. It isn’t completely black and white, and I’m glad for that. It makes for some great battles. I’m happy that my server is in third place and gets such great battles against the other teams. Its a lot of fun for everyone.

However, this whole “waking up and finding VS has capped 100%” is bullkitten. It isn’t fun for anyone, and needs to be addressed. When 90% of the time the servers are balanced, but 10% of the time one server has a bigger population and can push the advantage, it isn’t fun. I’m not going to quit my job or change my hours to fit it around a game, and neither is anyone else. We want a fun, fair balanced WvW setup.

in WvW

Posted by: Chiolas.1326

Chiolas.1326

I can use a cannon without having proper training, yet a NPC specialized in guarding a keep night and day can’t push a single button, kitten me right?

Quit WvW and Gw2 in August 2013

in WvW

elvy.9085

’In a fair match up, FS would beatVs, I saw it happen"

Well maybe you were drunk or not watching properly. I will repeat it again, friday night, VS was ahead 5K point. After night we lost point and FS dominated 10K. Then during day, we reduced it to 7K, despite the presence of all the FS big guilds.

Tell me how does it show FS dominated. And yesterday night during prime time as you call it, we enever moved from number 1 position.

But as I said, it seems you are all convinced you are the best, so Anet should really give you these 1.000.000 points at every reset, so you are always first, and stop your forum bullkitten.

PS : even players from FS, who actually play the night, said you have players, they are just too busy puzzle jumping or whine on chat.

in WvW

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

I’m sad there will be less fluidity in the rankings unless people transfer around and more servers get more WvW players and more coverage. I don’t want to fight the same servers week after week or settle into a particular ‘bracket’ and stay there.

On the other hand, I don’t really see what Anet can do about it. Aside from getting rid of those orbs, most solutions I’ve read would really screw over off-peak players.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

in WvW

elvy.9085

Just to explain longer, some people seem to think it is about player’s skill.

Maybe you do have only really high skilled players. But a superman of PVP who can do 1 vs 5 fight and win, but spend his time doing dungeons or afk spawn wont help his servr.

On the other side, even the worse player ever, following the lead orders can help and would be more usefull than the player above.

So even if FS is full of supermen, while on VS we are just poor players, with 2 lefts hands, if we can get more organized, VS still deserve to win and is the best server.

Cause being the best server isn’t about the player’s skills really.

That would be like 2 countries going to war.

First country has a really average army, second really high tech powerfull army, except he cant send his army to battlefield. So second country loses, and then come and cry : “Eh it is unfair, we clearly have the best army, we deserve to win”.

What would first country reply? Now if you can answer that, you can imagine what we are thinking about all these whines.

PS : Desolation I am sorry, but I cant see how you can tell a difference btw VS and FS, as both server roll on you. How many time did I see deso 40 men bus wipe on bay, from 2 catapults. It is real sad.

in WvW

Posted by: Breros.3567

Breros.3567

Give it time. Most of the nightcappers will get bored of gate wars in a month or two.

Warrior:
1) GS/Bow Glasscannon 30/10/0/0/30 (Pwr>Prec>Crit)
2) S&B/Bow Shout Tank 10/0/30/30/0 (Vit>Tough>Heal)

in WvW

evilbottom.2186

PS : Desolation I am sorry, but I cant see how you can tell a difference btw VS and FS, as both server roll on you. How many time did I see deso 40 men bus wipe on bay, from 2 catapults. It is real sad.

Desolation isn’t getting ‘rolled’. Yes, grats on defending against an unorganised zerg bashing its head on a tower gate. I did exactly the same defending against the other two servers. If we were being wiped we wouldn’t be holding our side of the map. The only thing we are lacking is good teams on any borderlands, simply because we don’t have enough guilds serious about WvW and organisation while playing. Plus, no matter what you say, no shame in being 3rd place.

Plus your entire post barely made sense and you basically just stated ‘we can’t win with skill so we win with nightcapping’.

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

Here’s the one problem I foresee:

Your server stinks during the day. Lots of solo and small guilds with no coordination, they really rank poorly.

Your server has a massive night-time presence and dominates everything else in that time zone purely because your server fills up and the other don’t.

Net result: during the day your server gets dominated and nobody has much fun. During the night your server dominates and nobody has much fun. Rank-wise it’s “balanced” but that doesn’t mean it’s ever fair or fun.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Kingface.9781

Kingface.9781

No, he says you can’t win only with skill, got it?

You got spvp for that.

in WvW

Posted by: tluv.5821

tluv.5821

Now hold on, why should the server who has a night crew get punished. It isn’t their fault. Not their’s at all that they have people on at all hours and your server doesn’t. If you are worried about that, then move to a server that has a night crew. Because people like me, for instance, only get on at night and the evening. To me, that would be punishing me because I work a job that doesn’t allow me to get on during the day. I would quit playing if they restricted that. I bought this game for WvW. Besides, a very well organized group of 5-10 can take/defend anything.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians
Formerly [QT] Questionable Tactics

in WvW

Posted by: Morzul.4625

Morzul.4625

Since the system allows players to go any servers regardless of their local timezone this is pointless debate, there will always some guild/server that will be capable to “nightcap” the zones, as what is “nightcap” in one timezone can be prime time in another.

in WvW

Posted by: defrule.7236

defrule.7236

It doesn’t have to be 24/7 to be a problem. All you need is a server that plays 1-2 hours later than it’s competition and the map is theirs. 24/7 is the extreme case.

As you go down the ladder there is no guarantee that other servers will log off at the same time as you. The best case scenario is to have 2 other servers that have completely identical activity curves but what are the chances of that?

in WvW

Posted by: Sinoby.8945

Sinoby.8945

Just to say, that FS didn’t have “all it’s top guilds” in BGs during weekend. We struggled with terrible queues. We did have nice presence, but it is far from our pitential. And I like how you say we’ve nightcapped FR. This is priceless!
But anyway, fights on weekend were nice, Let’s stop qq And just enjoy our battles. Just stop caring about score and everything is ok. Or, if you can’t stand the frustration – stop joining Wv3 and whine in map chat. Let others, that want to play tl have your spot.

in WvW

Posted by: Selo.1250

Selo.1250

’In a fair match up, FS would beatVs, I saw it happen"

Well maybe you were drunk or not watching properly. I will repeat it again, friday night, VS was ahead 5K point. After night we lost point and FS dominated 10K. Then during day, we reduced it to 7K, despite the presence of all the FS big guilds.

Tell me how does it show FS dominated. And yesterday night during prime time as you call it, we enever moved from number 1 position.

But as I said, it seems you are all convinced you are the best, so Anet should really give you these 1.000.000 points at every reset, so you are always first, and stop your forum bullkitten.

PS : even players from FS, who actually play the night, said you have players, they are just too busy puzzle jumping or whine on chat.

We at FS have given up, we know we cant win with all this nightcapping.
I see even more players during the night from VS that i see during the day, just becouse they want easy points.

We only go to EB now becouse its the only map where you dont get spawncamped.

It was even in EB the whole day. We had a massive battle in SM where FS held out against both VS and Deso attacking from both sides for 2-3 hours.
Strange thing is, when VS took it back, Deso didnt attack it, at all. Conspiracy theories there.
Then BAM at 2am massive VS zerg took over all keeps while Desolation did absolutly nothing, while you took over our keeps, they didnt even attack your front. We had maybe 10 players defending our keep, while you had around 70 attacking.

1 hour later, it was back to 100% on all maps, all orbs, and spawncamping.

in WvW

Posted by: Gwal.2813

Gwal.2813

Far Shiverpeaks as proven that wvwvw is broken, they won to the [FR] multi-timed zone in the weekend

I don’t get why is this so complicated to understand for some ppl :
It’s impossible to limit night capping because “night time” isn’t the same for everyone.

BTW, most french Canadians prefer to play on US servers (better ping, similar culture)
So, you’re completly wrong : there is no canadian on VS, and there is only on 1 timezone in France.

On FS however, there is some quite impressive Russian guilds, so up to 2/4 timezone compared to VS.

You are the ones multi-time-zoned on FS !

VS is currently winning because of 2 things :
- they are really implicated in wvwvw
- their timezone is western than FS timezones, so they are up till later.

Vizunah Square [FR]

(edited by Gwal.2813)

in WvW

elvy.9085

Evilbottom : not my bad if you cant understand english, my post was fine, I just read it again.

Gwal : no we win cause of CaSu guild, what people dont know, is we are actually paying for that service, it costs us a ton of mapple syrup to have them PVE vs Gates at night.

in WvW

Posted by: Exewre.2837

Exewre.2837

Strange… FS don’t whine when they nightcap/earlymorningcap for 10k during fridays/saturday and saturdays/sunday nights. On another hand we don’t care Friday night is the best night for VS alliance member to get an evening off. Its important to go socialize, drink and mate and its still better to get off first night of reset than last one

During weekend day FS lost 2k on saturdays and 3 on sundays against PU+ some small group of guilds who suceed to enter while fs even with long queues can have 30 people of the same guild in
And when we finally have 15 wl, the ennemy guild change map after 4 wipes during primetime Oo. We are looking for them and friends told us they have moved to EB. The PU only map we can’t go and have no guild assigned to since its impossible to enter in

wow 30 people of my guild? it still had never happen before 1 am.. bad thing … fights are already good but they could become epic with larger guild fights. but i know we would one day for the sake of epicness

(edited by Exewre.2837)

in WvW

Posted by: whiskyjack.7962

whiskyjack.7962

Gwal: you, like many people are focusing too much on the night-time part of the argument. the time of day is irrelevant, the issue is around population.

all they would need to do is adjust the points at the 15 minute intervals to compensate for the current WvW populations. if a server has 10x more players than the other servers, they receive less points. they already try to do this, but it’s with the outmanned buff, which is useless.

elvy: you should try to be more constructive in your posts. i see you posting everywhere in a very derogatory and condescending manner. this will simply cause people to ignore your posts, even when you make relevant points.

in WvW

Posted by: Cyvil.1605

Cyvil.1605

Why isn’t there a WvW lockout after a server transfer? I understand the need to change servers, but why allow immediate WvW participation?

Would it help if ANet released participation by time slot? Not necessarily raw numbers, but something that would help those facing ques to identify which server may be a good fit for a transfer?

Would the combination of these two help the situation?

in WvW

elvy.9085

I tried to make constructive posts all day yesterday, but everytime when getting for answer basically “kitten canadians nigthcapping” or “everyone knows we are best during day”., I decided it was a waste of time.

So now I am doing like them, posting random taunts, so they can see how fun it is. Look the guys posting for them, they dont even read post, they didnt even realize they were talking to someone from their server a bit above.

Btw it is condescending as well to judge other, so maybe you shouldn’t do it either :p

in WvW

Posted by: whiskyjack.7962

whiskyjack.7962

elvy, it’s not condescending to judge someone based on their actions, especially when they’re freely admitting to purposefully acting in such a way, which you’ve just done.

listen, you’ve got the choice to either act like them, and flood the forums with senseless arguing, taunting and pointless ad hominem retalation which is essentially becoming exactly the same poster as you abhor, or you can choose to ignore such posts and continue to try and be a boon to the community.

i hope you choose the latter.

in WvW

elvy.9085

I admitted it, only after you did it, that doesnt count!

in WvW

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

Just take your weeks long facestomping and enjoy it! A year from now, when no one is left to WvW, things will balance out!!!

/s