Anet letting wvw die so it can be relaunched?

in WvW

Posted by: DrMatt.9408

DrMatt.9408

As title states, is old wvw being deliberately left to die while other game modes are worked on (pve/pvp) – so that a radically redesigned wvw can be relaunched to minimal protest in the near future?

2 years or even 1 year ago, the idea of server merges/removal of the old server system altogether would have been unthinkable, due to server loyalty and established communities. However with wvw as it is currently – on life support – the impression I get is that people would now be open to this: if it brings wvw back from the dead. Massive changes to the match up system and way PPT works could come hand in hand with this. As wvw currently works with multiple servers and unbalanced populations, there is no obvious solution to these issues – but a relaunch without the old server system may be the answer.

A relaunch would also reinvigorate wvw with new and returning players, reversing the massive combined population loss of the past 3 years, that has only been worsened by the new BL map.

Call this a conspiracy theory if you like, but it makes sense to me.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfric.9380

Wolfric.9380

Doing this before christmas is critical bad timing unless they relaunch next week.

in WvW

DrMatt.9408

I imagine this decision was made at least a year ago around when this ‘large wvw overhaul’ began to be worked on. I refuse to believe that a single new map took more than a fraction of available wvw resources – the pve expansion alone came with 4 new maps.

in WvW

Posted by: BadMed.3846

BadMed.3846

Mate, I’m not keen to pay for a WvW expansion now! Enough said ????

in WvW

DrMatt.9408

Will be for free surely…

in WvW

Posted by: Djamonja.6453

Djamonja.6453

As far as Anet is concerned, the only question is how to monetize WvW over the reasonably expected lifetime of the game. They don’t make money for people just playing WvW unless they are buying gems (with real $$) or attracting new players to the game who might pay for gems or buy HoT, etc.

Personally, I think they should try to get more people interested in WvW by combining WvW rewards with PvE rewards to get the best gear. Or let people get unique gear from WvW that is superior to PvE gear in WvW.

in WvW

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

Why don’t they add shiny catapult skins to the gemstore?

in WvW

DrMatt.9408

No one would object to shiny gemstore trash as long as there are no p2w elements and the core experience is overhauled for the better

in WvW

Posted by: Fellfoot.8156

Fellfoot.8156

Why don’t they add shiny catapult skins to the gemstore?

I kinda like the ice cream scoop/melon baller catas… kinda…

[AIR] Henge of Denravi aka Pink Abu, [BAMA] RollTide
chopping wood one day, dropped a piece,
all I could say was, “…fell…foot…”

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

As far as Anet is concerned, the only question is how to monetize WvW over the reasonably expected lifetime of the game. They don’t make money for people just playing WvW unless they are buying gems (with real $$) or attracting new players to the game who might pay for gems or buy HoT, etc.

Personally, I think they should try to get more people interested in WvW by combining WvW rewards with PvE rewards to get the best gear. Or let people get unique gear from WvW that is superior to PvE gear in WvW.

And then they disable toys ‘cos 1 freakin’ toy can be exploited. So let’s just trash all of them, who needs them in wvw anyway~

Then complain that wvw players are not buying toys with $$!!

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Posted by: Djamonja.6453

Djamonja.6453

And then they disable toys ‘cos 1 freakin’ toy can be exploited. So let’s just trash all of them, who needs them in wvw anyway~

Then complain that wvw players are not buying toys with $$!!

I am probably missing your reference, sorry :/

(edited by Djamonja.6453)

in WvW

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

There was a toy that gave high mobility in WvW which some felt was ‘unfair’ so they disabled the majority of toys in WvW.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

in WvW

Posted by: saturn.4810

saturn.4810

There was a toy that gave high mobility in WvW which some felt was ‘unfair’ so they disabled the majority of toys in WvW.

Sadly, that’s how Anet ‘fixes’ things.

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

I doubt it was a planned conspiracy type of deal but it looks like it might just work out that the majority of the players who would not like the upcoming changes are no longer around to squawk about it. WvW isn’t in this sorry state because ANET deliberately sabotaged it, if anything it is the players who made them pay double for every mistake they made and magnified every exploit we found by doing what people do and playing games in ways the designers never anticipated. I don’t think they built EotM with the K-train in mind and all of the worst things about the new Dessert borderland are actually things I’ve seen suggested on these forums for awhile but just didn’t turn out as expected.

It’s just frustrating that ANET’s development cycle for WvW is such that they are constantly fixing and responding to last years problems. Still will be interesting to see what ideas they got out of last years CDI and what they decided to run with for the upcoming “major WvW overhaul”. While I am bitter over the possibility of losing community identity somehow I can see how it is not as important to the players still left around and I guess they shouldn’t be punished for the game I wish I was playing. Still hurts to see so much wasted potential.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Posted by: Kaiser.9873

Kaiser.9873

For the most part WvW is monetized. With servers transfers; that PvE players do not need to do due to megaserver, skins that you see quite a lot in WvW, and all the other various services that WvW players take part in along with their PvE counterparts I would guess that WvW players do not spend too much less than PvE players.

I just do not think ANet as a company understands the mindset and desires of this type of playerbase. I’m sure their lack of interaction is due to their thought that we are all frothing, snarky, doom and gloomers, as opposed to the average PvE players that is more of a sunshine pumper.

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I doubt it was a planned conspiracy type of deal but it looks like it might just work out that the majority of the players who would not like the upcoming changes are no longer around to squawk about it. WvW isn’t in this sorry state because ANET deliberately sabotaged it, if anything it is the players who made them pay double for every mistake they made and magnified every exploit we found by doing what people do and playing games in ways the designers never anticipated. I don’t think they built EotM with the K-train in mind and all of the worst things about the new Dessert borderland are actually things I’ve seen suggested on these forums for awhile but just didn’t turn out as expected.

Nope its mostly anet, yes the new BL is them trying to design something to fix things players have complained about but their implementation is just poor. Like improving defence, players mostly want defending to be more rewarding, it was perfectly easy to defend towers on the alpine BL if you had a few people and siege. So they didn’t need to design the map to make defending easier.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro