Another modest WvW proposal to Arenanet

in WvW

Posted by: MagnusLL.8473

MagnusLL.8473

… or two actually, plus a minor feedback point.

Let me start by stating I’m one of the people who likes the principle of increasing AC’s damage. As they were before, anything less than 4 AC was utterly inconsequential to a 40+ man zerg coming to facerub your gate; they could simply shrug off whatever pitiful damage you were dealing and cap the structure with the most braindead of all tactics. At least now there’s some thought process needed to assault a fortified position, as it kitten well ought to be.

My minor feedback point is that 3500 AC max range is too high; first of all, it’s too close to the catapult’s 4000 max range and second, it allows hitting outer walls from inner ones which is a bad idea given the structure of your maps.

Now for my modest proposal to correct the perceived problem of sieges becoming either all out impossible or a prolonged treb – counter treb war:

• Make trebs immune to enemy treb fire. Make them despawn after 15 minutes whether they’re manned or not.

The logic should be clear here. You cannot countertreb a treb anymore, so if you want to silence it, you’re going to need to do it the good old fashioned way and bring the fight to the enemy’s position.
In terms of assaulting a strongly defended tower/keep, what happens is that you still cannot facerub it anymore, but you can put a treb in a suitable position and destroy the enemy siege weapons (except other trebs but they aren’t all that useful as anti infantry weapon) and their gates/walls. It is still going to take longer than the mindless “hurrdurr we’re 50 and they’re 10 let’s just facerub” tactic, and it will still require at least a modicum of rational thought. But eventually the tower/keep is going to fall as you can just keep smashing their ACs/ballistas and their gates/walls.

It is also not an “unbeatable” tactic, as the obvious counter is to rush the treb’s position. What it does, is to move the “critical spot” away from the gate and to whatever position the attacking group chose to put their treb on. In this way it’s advantageous for the attackers, but they are still going to need more time to cap the structure thus allowing for a better response by the defending team.

The automatic despawning is simply a way of giving an higher cost to treb usage, which I feel would be needed giving its increased usefulness. You want to keep using long range artillery? Fine, you need to keep paying for it’s upkeep. After all, projectiles have a cost.

(Second proposal in second message. 5001 char limit…).

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

Now for my second proposal, which is not directly related to all the AC’s hubbub which is going on.

The net result of your change, after all is said and done, is that siege weapons are now more important than before. This, in turn, means supply is more important than before.
I agree with this, since I’m not in WvW for a deathmatch arena with bigger numbers. Having things like objectives and supply lines should be a critical distinction between WvW and PvP, above and beyond total player count.

My problem stems from the fact that your supply implementation is the opposite of what it shoud be; namely: the biggest your advantage is in terms of coverage and map control, the easier it becomes to stockpile supplies.
This is due to the fact that controlling more of a map gives you both access to more supply lines, and more deposits in which to keep stockpiling supplies once your upgrades are done.
The net effect will be to increase the nightcapping snowball effect even more. Now outmanned servers will have to fight even harder when they “come back to the fight”, due to starting with zero supplies (as opposed to the thousands the nightcapping server has accumulated in all its fully upgraded towers/keeps) and supplies being even more critical to successfully assault a position.

My proposal to reverse this situation:

• Keep all the supplies a server has in its structures in a global map stockpile from which it is taken every time a player or a worker takes them from a “local” deposit at one of the towers/keeps and gets replenished every time a dolyak reaches a destination point. The maximum amount of supplies this global deposit can contain should increase with the amount of structures and their upgrade level like what happens now, but at a much slower rate.

The logic once again should be obvious here: instead of becoming easier and easier to manage your supply lines the more structures you have, it becomes harder and harder. If your first tower gives you a maximum stockpile of +700, your second tower +500, and your 5th tower doesn’t add anything, sustaining that last tower becomes much more difficult than what it is now. It also provides less of a starting advantage after a nightcap or in general in any “total map control” situation.

It also creates difficult decisions. Do you want to keep defending all your structures even when sustaining this is going to completely deplete your global stockpile? You could face a situation where your whole map position suddenly collapses as you don’t have any more supply stockpile left, thus rendering you completely unable to sustain sieges on ANY of your structures.
In terms of UI, I’d simply make it so that you can see the exact amount of supplies you have in the “global” stockpile whenever you are near one of your keeps/towers, and you can see the enemy’s when you pass nearby one of his structures. Essentially the same as it is now, except related to the global stockpile instead of the “local” ones which do not exist anymore.
I’d also increase the amount of supplies the breakout events provide to help servers reverse a blowout situation.

in WvW

Posted by: Aneu.1748

Aneu.1748

Try facerubbing 12 pre-nerfed arrowcarts… sure…

Attachments:

Aneu | [VoTF]
http://www.votf.net

in WvW

Posted by: Teel.9036

Teel.9036

Both your proposals are unrealistic, in real life a trebuchet would deal damage to another trebuchet for example and not be immune to it somehow. And the thought of “global supply” isn’t either realistic, you can hopefully figure out in what way.

Teelie l VoTF

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

Both your proposals are unrealistic, in real life a trebuchet would deal damage to another trebuchet for example and not be immune to it somehow. And the thought of “global supply” isn’t either realistic, you can hopefully figure out in what way.

Who cares about realism? We’re talking about how making the game more fun here. Or at least, I do.

So you’re telling me that all that is changed is that now you need 4 instead of 12? If that’s the case, why all the rage?

in WvW

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

There are some problems with the treb “proposal”. The fact that you can treb for keep to castle to towers etc would basically mean you would be locking a server map force into attacking a specific place just by building a treb. I know that counter trebbing is a moot point for most of us, but I don’t think this would make things better. I personally cannot think of a better option right now than what we already have.

in WvW

Aneu.1748

Who cares about realism? We’re talking about how making the game more fun here. Or at least, I do.

So you’re telling me that all that is changed is that now you need 4 instead of 12? If that’s the case, why all the rage?

Because previously it took 12 people to hold off 30-40 people, now it takes 4!

Aneu | [VoTF]

in WvW

sostronk.8167

Is that what it is like in Europe? Can 4 players hold off 40 VoTF players?

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

That’s good. That’s anti-zerg.

And yes, I know the objection which is flying around now is “no this is pro-zerg, it will make people zerg even more”.
By that logic, you cannot do anything at all against zergs, because whatever you do, hey, people will just zerg even more to counter it!

The only type of mechanic which could avoid it is same kind of ability (whether on siege or character skills) which gives more damage the more people get hit in its radius. And while I’d be all for it, Arenanet has the problem that WvW gets treated the same as PvE and any such ability would be ridiculously op in their PvE content.

That said, I certainly wouldn’t mind if they implemented something like that. But I still think stopping a STUPID zerg with 4 people is a good thing.

in WvW

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

How many Jq players does it take to kill 40 VOTF? Can’t be done, not enough spots in map….

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Tobias Steele.2071)

in WvW

Aneu.1748

That’s good. That’s anti-zerg.

And yes, I know the objection which is flying around now is “no this is pro-zerg, it will make people zerg even more”.
By that logic, you cannot do anything at all against zergs, because whatever you do, hey, people will just zerg even more to counter it!

The only type of mechanic which could avoid it is same kind of ability (whether on siege or character skills) which gives more damage the more people get hit in its radius. And while I’d be all for it, Arenanet has the problem that WvW gets treated the same as PvE and any such ability would be ridiculously op in their PvE content.

That said, I certainly wouldn’t mind if they implemented something like that. But I still think stopping a STUPID zerg with 4 people is a good thing.

What you fail to understand is that if 40 people can’t do it, then who can? … wait for it… think a little… just a little harder… YES THATS RIGHT! MORE PEOPLE!

Aneu | [VoTF]

in WvW

sostronk.8167

How many Jq players does it take to kill 40 VOTF? Can’t be done, not enough spots in map….

So 40 VotF players can’t beat, outplay or oursmart 4 european players, is that what your saying?

in WvW

sostronk.8167

Im just questioning your abilities is all. I can and will adapt to a new build. No problem with it. I don’t feel the need to rage over it in the forums like im some kid in a supermarket chucking a tanty because mummy won’t give them their lolly. I adapt and I use what I have. Why is it you guys can’t do the same? Its what any player who is skilled would do. They play the meta to its potential. And like every game out there, metas change from time to time. And again the good players adapt. The bad ones go cry in the forums.

in WvW

Posted by: GavinGoodrich.1382

GavinGoodrich.1382

it’s 2500 range on carts, but I feel your concern. Forcing people that are typically outmanned or usually fighting against the odds don’t need an additional reason to be on the ground (have to charge a treb over and over) countertrebbing needs to be in place.

Though I think they buffed ’em a bit toooooo much as many of the other AC threads are already stating….

NomNomNomNomNom
Resident Zerg Idiot
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Aneu.1748

Im just questioning your abilities is all. I can and will adapt to a new build. No problem with it. I don’t feel the need to rage over it in the forums like im some kid in a supermarket chucking a tanty because mummy won’t give them their lolly. I adapt and I use what I have. Why is it you guys can’t do the same? Its what any player who is skilled would do. They play the meta to its potential. And like every game out there, metas change from time to time. And again the good players adapt. The bad ones go cry in the forums.

I don’t think you actually fully comprehend the ramifications of this change. VoTF as a guild has put an insane amount of effort into this game, into our meta, into adapting to every patch in order to retain the good fights we get. Those good fights have been reducing of late and now with the arrowcart changes those fights will be reduced to attempting to peel a wall/gate off more people in order to get them out to fight us.

If your adaptation to these mechanics reduced your game to the equivalent of pulling out your nasal hairs after you had put an insane amount of effort into the game – inclusive of behind the scenes feedback and contact with a plethora of people that assure you the game isnt going in the way of “siege wars” then how exactly would you react? Shrug it off? I can see from your posts that you are not the type of person to walk away from something or let something go, especially since your self proclaimed “adaptation” should have meant you wouldn’t come to the forums since you are focused on adapting as opposed to anything else and you especially wouldn’t come to the forums to complain about those complaining… Would you?

Aneu | [VoTF]

in WvW

Posted by: Tobias Steele.2071

Tobias Steele.2071

Fail troll is fail. That cowbell audio nerf must have hit you really hard… I lolled at you questioning VOTF skill. Go troll someone of a comparable skill level, like the fergusons crossing pugs for instance… Oh and FYI changing servers to whomever is no. 1 is not “adapting” to change.

Entropy, Class lead Necromancer.
Tarnished Coast.

(edited by Tobias Steele.2071)

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

Those good fights have been reducing of late and now with the arrowcart changes those fights will be reduced to attempting to peel a wall/gate off more people in order to get them out to fight us.

So what do you think of untrebbable trebs? Because I haven’t seen any feedback from you on the actual proposal until now.

in WvW

Aneu.1748

Those good fights have been reducing of late and now with the arrowcart changes those fights will be reduced to attempting to peel a wall/gate off more people in order to get them out to fight us.

So what do you think of untrebbable trebs? Because I haven’t seen any feedback from you on the actual proposal until now.

Do you mean trebs inside a tower/keep or those on the field? The problem with attackers attacking a keep is that people can suicide onto your trebs and take them out, there is a finite amount of supply you have and trebs require quite a bit of supply so a continual trail of people suiciding (not fighting just running through to kill treb) will become even more prolific than it already is.

Aneu | [VoTF]

(edited by Aneu.1748)

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Isnt the answer rather simple then, based on the things layed out in the op?

- increase time to build siege by 5x across the board
- increase the range and arc of the catapult.
- only allow a fixed degree of aim, say +- 20 degrees, on trebuchet.

This will result in siege not going up so fast, arrowcarts being outplayed by catapults and hinder counter trebbing from an already set up position.

in WvW

MagnusLL.8473

Do you mean trebs inside a tower/keep or those on the field? The problem with attackers attacking a keep is that people can suicide onto your trebs and take them out, there is a finite amount of supply you have and trebs require quite a bit of supply so a continual trail of people suiciding (not fighting just running through to kill treb) will become even more prolific than it already is.

I mean both, trebs simply become invulnerable to other trebs. And suicide runs become problematic if you also have ACs defending your treb spot… you need a proper rush to take them out.

in WvW

Posted by: Grevender.9235

Grevender.9235

actually, treb hitting treb is a good strategy so it’s okay.
The ONLY anti-zerg game mechanic that can be successful -and I stated it already maaany times everwhere in the forum- is to critically boost AoE

in WvW

sostronk.8167

I don’t think you actually fully comprehend the ramifications of this change. VoTF as a guild has put an insane amount of effort into this game, into our meta, into adapting to every patch in order to retain the good fights we get. Those good fights have been reducing of late and now with the arrowcart changes those fights will be reduced to attempting to peel a wall/gate off more people in order to get them out to fight us.

If your adaptation to these mechanics reduced your game to the equivalent of pulling out your nasal hairs after you had put an insane amount of effort into the game – inclusive of behind the scenes feedback and contact with a plethora of people that assure you the game isnt going in the way of “siege wars” then how exactly would you react? Shrug it off? I can see from your posts that you are not the type of person to walk away from something or let something go, especially since your self proclaimed “adaptation” should have meant you wouldn’t come to the forums since you are focused on adapting as opposed to anything else and you especially wouldn’t come to the forums to complain about those complaining… Would you?

No, I am definitely “complaining about the complainers”. TBH im a little over the GW2 community, seems they have to complain about everything Anet does. I know there is alot of decent players in this game, but anyone reading this forum would assume that the vast majority of the community is composed of self entitled children.

I think your missing a few things in terms of tactics though and there is alot I believe you haven’t discovered for yourself. And in all honesty, I believe the previous meta of the karma train was much worse than what we are looking at now. And its pretty clear to me that you haven’t thought through everything before you have complained about it and you haven’t given much thought on how to adapt to it and simply continued playing the way you were playing before and since what you were doing before was working and isn’t working now it must mean AC buff is OP. This is why I question what I have questioned. Like I said, the good players will adapt.

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

What you fail to understand is that if 40 people can’t do it, then who can? … wait for it… think a little… just a little harder… YES THATS RIGHT! MORE PEOPLE!

And what you fail to understand is that you can no longer use your standard procedure of throwing more people at a keep and expect to take it. You now actually have to use strategy.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Aneu.1748

No, I am definitely “complaining about the complainers”. TBH im a little over the GW2 community, seems they have to complain about everything Anet does. I know there is alot of decent players in this game, but anyone reading this forum would assume that the vast majority of the community is composed of self entitled children.

I think your missing a few things in terms of tactics though and there is alot I believe you haven’t discovered for yourself. And in all honesty, I believe the previous meta of the karma train was much worse than what we are looking at now. And its pretty clear to me that you haven’t thought through everything before you have complained about it and you haven’t given much thought on how to adapt to it and simply continued playing the way you were playing before and since what you were doing before was working and isn’t working now it must mean AC buff is OP. This is why I question what I have questioned. Like I said, the good players will adapt.

This is not about adaptation, this is about the implementation of something that reduces the fun in a game to monotony! You may consider setting up a siege on a tier 3 keep for 6 hours prior to attacking “fun” but I consider it tedious at best and down right insane at worst.

Also if you think the karma train was bad then you need to look at how these changes will affect said “blobbing”, it will increase – not decrease it. You need MORE people to take a tower/keep now not less.

Why is this so hard to comprehend?

Aneu | [VoTF]

in WvW

Posted by: TallDan.6350

TallDan.6350

This is not about adaptation, this is about the implementation of something that reduces the fun in a game to monotony! You may consider setting up a siege on a tier 3 keep for 6 hours prior to attacking “fun” but I consider it tedious at best and down right insane at worst.

Also if you think the karma train was bad then you need to look at how these changes will affect said “blobbing”, it will increase – not decrease it. You need MORE people to take a tower/keep now not less.

No the point is you need better tactics to take them now not more people. I am sick of people complaining about everything myself.

Lady suzi ~ Human Guardian {} Gizmo Gregory ~ Asura Engineer
Firezof Arrows ~ Sylvari Ranger {} Hudeeni ~ Norn Mesmer
Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

in WvW

Posted by: joric.1042

joric.1042

No the point is you need better tactics to take them now not more people. I am sick of people complaining about everything myself.

Amen! Although in the end all the mega QQing will probably win the day and they will adjust it. Although I hope they don’t.

Jorik Nightcloud
Beige(NUDE)
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Aneu.1748

This will not happen! Why do you think it will? The easiest way to get around it is to get more people into one area! Not to “redefine the meta” of GW2. You are looking at this in a completely naive way.

Aneu | [VoTF]

in WvW

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

This will not happen! Why do you think it will? The easiest way to get around it is to get more people into one area! Not to “redefine the meta” of GW2. You are looking at this in a completely naive way.

If the only tactical solution you can find to this problem is once again “bigger zerg”, then perhaps you aren’t the tactical or meta genius you think you are.

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

in WvW

Posted by: TallDan.6350

TallDan.6350

Yeah get more people to stand in the arrow cart hail, rather than try to kill them with cata or treb, you must be some kind of tactical genius.

Lady suzi ~ Human Guardian {} Gizmo Gregory ~ Asura Engineer
Firezof Arrows ~ Sylvari Ranger {} Hudeeni ~ Norn Mesmer
Ruins of Surmia [KoA]

in WvW

Posted by: Teel.9036

Teel.9036

If the only tactical solution you can find to this problem is once again “bigger zerg”, then perhaps you aren’t the tactical or meta genius you think you are.

He’s not saying he will do that, he’s saying that’s how the mentality of the average player is in WvW and how they will behave in WvW.

Teelie l VoTF

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

I think Vizunah golems melted at outer EB keep door tonight thx to arrowcarts

in WvW

Aneu.1748

Again reading what isnt there… This is what servers will do, its the easiest route around the siege buff but will be detrimental to those who attempt to run around in smaller guild groups.

Aneu | [VoTF]