Anyone else feel like WVW is a waste of time?

in WvW

Posted by: Bloodtau.4672

Bloodtau.4672

I mean, apart from using it as a quick way to level and karma grind, what is the real reason to do it? You don’t really gain anything from it, it’s not like spvp where you get ranks and rewards.

I just feel like going in and doing anything serious is a waste of effort, anyone else feel this way?

in WvW

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

no I play for fun, not for rewards. if I do something jsut for the reward I call it a job not a hobby.

And you get lots of karma and exp(for skill points) and marks to use to buy stuff if you want to.

in WvW

Posted by: Setch.2398

Setch.2398

No. I Love it. It’s always a fresh game because what people do is always different. I can’t imagine doing anything else.

SOR – [Boss]

in WvW

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

As an 8 year (on and off) DAoC veteran, sPvP seems like the waste of time. Meaningless cage fights to grind some pixels? No thanks, that is what nearly every other MMO has. Large scale warfare with server wide ramifications (bonuses)? Yes please!

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

I mean, apart from using it as a quick way to level and karma grind, what is the real reason to do it? You don’t really gain anything from it, it’s not like spvp where you get ranks and rewards.

I just feel like going in and doing anything serious is a waste of effort, anyone else feel this way?

You can amass badges for the WvW armour.

But other than that, it is supposed to be a fun, casual way to spend a few hours. Which so far it is pretty successful in doing.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

in WvW

Posted by: Athaulf.1530

Athaulf.1530

Gosh.. it seems to me that “that other game” has ruined some peoples attitudes…
this is a GAME its is MEANT to be a waste of time.
The REason to do WvW? FUN that´s all, no skinner box needed

in WvW

Posted by: Velron.3729

Velron.3729

Well it’s a game. So the goal is to have fun. And WvW is lots of fun. So, no its not a waste of time.

Fragg – Engineer | Lil Zek – Warrior PVP R43
[DA] Decisive Actions – Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Lasica.5068

Lasica.5068

It is now, a full week of getting farmed by Eredon Terrace is all we have to look forward to.

Why make sense, when it’s so much more fun to make nonsense?

in WvW

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

Not really fun being a tier 1 server playing against tier 2 servers. Not complaining, just stating the facts. It’s just going to be boring owning the entire map, and I could only imagine how SoS and IoJ feels about it. Can we get some information on how the WvWvW MMR system works, because I’m curious to know how someone wins in the tier 2 bracket and doesn’t take the losing server position of the tier 1 bracket.

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Suddle D.9412

Suddle D.9412

Its fun, its why our guild plays this game. Its always changing and every day is a new battle and story to be told or made!

in WvW

Bloodtau.4672

That’s just it. It’s fun for a bit then you just realise it’s the same old stuff day after day =(
Needs something more to spice it up a little. Right now it’s either zergvzerg or plavervdoor. Feels more of an extension of wvw than something stand alone.

in WvW

Posted by: nickzed.6380

nickzed.6380

That’s just it. It’s fun for a bit then you just realise it’s the same old stuff day after day =(
Needs something more to spice it up a little. Right now it’s either zergvzerg or plavervdoor. Feels more of an extension of wvw than something stand alone.

For 1 day battles that’s why. When people start upgrading and spending actual money making things harder to cap, this won’t be the case. Tactics will be needed to start capping things. For fun during one of the matches for maguuma, one of our players dumped a ton of gold into upgrading a tower we had in the enemy territory, and they couldn’t cap it. Both sides were trying at the same time and failing. They probably could’ve used siege or some other tactics to get it but didn’t, because they ran out of time. With week long battles things will get more interesting.

in WvW

Posted by: Shintai.5618

Shintai.5618

For 1 day battles that’s why. When people start upgrading and spending actual money making things harder to cap, this won’t be the case. Tactics will be needed to start capping things. For fun during one of the matches for maguuma, one of our players dumped a ton of gold into upgrading a tower we had in the enemy territory, and they couldn’t cap it. Both sides were trying at the same time and failing. They probably could’ve used siege or some other tactics to get it but didn’t, because they ran out of time. With week long battles things will get more interesting.

Rotating servers or easy nightcappings doesnt make upgrades more worthwhile.

in WvW

Posted by: nickzed.6380

nickzed.6380

When server rotation is once a week, that does make upgrades far more worthwhile. I guarantee you’ll start seeing more upgrades, and different tactics. Night capping doesn’t really matter. You’ll receive fewer points than the other team if all you can do is cap at night, because they’ll hold it for the rest of the time. It only matters during 1 day battles because they only last 1 day. Think outside the box here a bit.

in WvW

Posted by: Neandramathal.9536

Neandramathal.9536

The same question could be applied to the whole game…

Apart from karma grind, whats the reason to do events?
Apart from gear grind, whats the reason to do dungeons?
Apart from to say “I have level 80” whats the reason to level?

Basically.. whats the reason you do anything within the game? Fun.

[GoV] Gnomes of Vabbi || [Imp] Impact
Currently @ Piken Square
Small scale unimpressive videos of unimpressiveness: http://www.youtube.com/neandramathal

in WvW

Posted by: Mishi.7058

Mishi.7058

I don’t feel it is a waste of time, in fact I love WvW.
Then again I play to have fun.

Commander Silvannas
“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Sun Tzu

in WvW

Posted by: ageNtreachery.2164

ageNtreachery.2164

MMO… waste of time… hmmm.. let me think a bit more on this.

in WvW

Posted by: Scrag.8765

Scrag.8765

Everyone plays to have fun. What this person means i think is its a lot more fun to have gear and to watch your character progress and have a ranking etc. This is what MMO’s are. This game is practically false advertising for an MMO. Its more of an Arcade Shoot match than an mmo.

People who talk all “this is a skill based game”, “I play to have fun”, I think are scared of failure, are scared of a tough fight so they want PVP to be as “fair” as possible, without having to earn anything. Problem is no fight is fair and real competitive players enjoy a challenge. Having everyone be the same stats, no-role, no gear make for a very vanilla, one dimensional fight.

You people who complain about games having gear or veteran players having a higher rank and its not fair are not pvp’ers in the general sense and should not pvp in an mmo. FACT is…we may all be having fun right now but this is going to get boring fast as there is no character dimension or difference in character composition.

Question? Why does the PVE have gear then? Just do it to have fun right? Fact is gear makes it a lot more fun, and you can build towards something while having fun.

This game could truely be great. Why not have a “casual”, no gear based arenas, WVW AND also have a competitive one that has gear and rank’s etc? Then we would all be happy.

Sorry for the rant, but its the truth.

in WvW

Posted by: Gigachip.9473

Gigachip.9473

As an 8 year (on and off) DAoC veteran, sPvP seems like the waste of time. Meaningless cage fights to grind some pixels? No thanks, that is what nearly every other MMO has. Large scale warfare with server wide ramifications (bonuses)? Yes please!

I have to highly agree with you.
Thats the reason I picked up GW2 to begin with. Now I can finally cancel my subs for DAoC and play this full time.

Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Daniel.2743

Daniel.2743

Yeah, seems completely pointless, very little strategy involved and no incentive for me to play it and enjoy it. Which is a shame because I was really looking forward to the idea of WvW PVP and even SPVP. seems bland and boring though. I could probably play WvW for an hour before getting completely bored with the idea of it and the Same goes for SPVP.

I’m by no means a brilliant PVP player, but I do love PVP in majority of other games I have played, it’s the first thing that I find which engages me in a multiplayer game, the thrill of fighting other players and getting the better of them. But it just doesn’t do it for me in this game. I’m really trying to enjoy it.. I don’t know what it is.

Maybe a lack of depth to the characters, it’s seamlessly too easy for people to kill one another and even survive. Even when you get the better of someone I don’t feel any enjoyment in it.

(edited by Daniel.2743)

in WvW

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

I love WvW. There’s nothing like joining the battle when you’ve got nothing. Two hours, countless battles, 3 supply camps, 2 towers, and a little war-roleplaying later we’ve put the enemy on their heels and have our guild’s banners flying from a tower.
It’s amazingly fun to me. The only rewards I even care about are Badges of Honor, so I can plug those right back into the war effort!

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

in WvW

Posted by: Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

Ragnar Dragonfyre.1806

I PLAY GAMES FOR FUN.

in WvW

Posted by: JeroenXP.5364

JeroenXP.5364

Fun? yes I play for fun as well but all I see in WvW is 1 sided battles. Don’t really see the fun part where 1 server dominates almost the whole map, and where ever you attack you get countered back too the spawn point. They seriously need too give a buff for those realms doing poorly which increases health and dmg. And also remove the orbs of power or change how they work, since atm it just makes the dominant server even more powerfull.

Kemy Support ele – Kesia Berserker War – Miruto Wolfhowl Berserker ranger:
Sakurashi Tank Mesmer – Cutie Pewpie Grenadier Engineer – Neesa Misaki Support Guard:
[Underworld]

in WvW

Posted by: Doktar.2718

Doktar.2718

what needs to happen is all the AoE needs to be toned down. game is now all about aoe wars. its killing the fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Zelthios.5902

Zelthios.5902

Not really fun being a tier 1 server playing against tier 2 servers. Not complaining, just stating the facts. It’s just going to be boring owning the entire map, and I could only imagine how SoS and IoJ feels about it. Can we get some information on how the WvWvW MMR system works, because I’m curious to know how someone wins in the tier 2 bracket and doesn’t take the losing server position of the tier 1 bracket.

Thats because your server decided to take a “break” so you wouldn’t have to fight Henge of Denravi.

in WvW

Bloodtau.4672

About people saying “I play for fun”
Do you honestly find WVW fun? Like I said, I have tried to get into it but it is just badly designed. zerg vs zerg or players vs door. take your pick =/

in WvW

Posted by: Doktar.2718

Doktar.2718

should have called this game AoE Wars

in WvW

Posted by: willwill.9318

willwill.9318

We need a real pvp system like daoc had… ranks and realm ranks, or else it’s going to be 24/7 boring Zerging… No need to roam for pvp when everyone doesn’t care about how split up their kills are…

www.the-darkhand.com <DDH>

in WvW

Posted by: Nabbis.5784

Nabbis.5784

Im sure they will be adding more rewards/ranks/achievements to this. It seems that alot of people dont understand that the game was just released and it cant contain everything from the start.

in WvW

Posted by: JeroenXP.5364

JeroenXP.5364

Im sure they will be adding more rewards/ranks/achievements to this. It seems that alot of people dont understand that the game was just released and it cant contain everything from the start.

That I can accept but the thing is that obvious stuff like a buff for those realms being outnumbered being actually useful should be in game at launch. Like I don’t know more health and dmg?

Kemy Support ele – Kesia Berserker War – Miruto Wolfhowl Berserker ranger:
Sakurashi Tank Mesmer – Cutie Pewpie Grenadier Engineer – Neesa Misaki Support Guard:
[Underworld]

in WvW

Posted by: Nabbis.5784

Nabbis.5784

That I can accept but the thing is that obvious stuff like a buff for those realms being outnumbered being actually useful should be in game at launch. Like I don’t know more health and dmg?

Its so obvious that during the whole Wotlk, the said buff, was useless. All said and done, yes, there should be stuff like this. BUT, if the mmo-juggernaut didnt pull it off, what makes it so obvious?

You can buff health and damage all you want, but the cc is still outnumbered.

in WvW

Posted by: Pryda.8257

Pryda.8257

We need to see enemies name, WvW is too impersonal.

Red Guard [RG]

in WvW

Posted by: bigfishcjp.9301

bigfishcjp.9301

No, I love WvWPvP and sPvP. Next question! That was too easy.

in WvW

Posted by: Kaia.6859

Kaia.6859

Not at all, I’ve been having a lot of fun in WvsW. I don’t tend to follow the zergs though. Depending on the commander on the map at the time, I may follow the commander icon around but I find it is more fun being in a smaller group and causing chaos at random supply camps/towers. Or seeing how many enemy players I can get to chase me around the map, that never gets old.

I also rather like the design of sPvP as well, where there is no grind for gear in order to compete. I can just go in and be on the same level as everyone else and have to rely on how good I am to get by. I can’t use the “WELL, he he better gear than me!” excuse if I lose, and have to figure out how I can fix what I did wrong.

I do wish we had ended up with Henge/JQ on the first week match-up, but that just means I have something to look forward to next week.

in WvW

Posted by: NixZero.7540

NixZero.7540

About people saying “I play for fun”
Do you honestly find WVW fun? Like I said, I have tried to get into it but it is just badly designed. zerg vs zerg or players vs door. take your pick =/

and this is the difference between people playing in a good, solid guild on a good server and people that want to run alone and conquer the world.
whe have fun even with just ten people, no zerg needed.

in WvW

Posted by: AgentMango.4853

AgentMango.4853

I hear where you’re coming from. When I first played I ran around a lot and wasn’t sure where to go or what to do and I wasn’t sure when it ended. I was so used to the concept of you play and it ends in 30 mins and you get some points.. but the system they have set up is bigger than that it’s more about fighting for territory and trying to hold so you can get server wide bonuses and stuff.

in WvW

Posted by: MadMaximoff.7128

MadMaximoff.7128

We need a real pvp system like daoc had… ranks and realm ranks, or else it’s going to be 24/7 boring Zerging… No need to roam for pvp when everyone doesn’t care about how split up their kills are…

You get achievements and titles, I could see the possiblity to stretch this dynamic a little, perhaps giving you access to new Armor looks as you progress through the WvW scene.

in WvW

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

It’s entertainment. If you don’t enjoy it, you are wasting your time. Luckily this is not the case for many of us.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

in WvW

Posted by: Mouse.1945

Mouse.1945

I guess Counter-Strike and StarCraft II are complete wastes of time because you don’t earn or unlock anything.

in WvW

Posted by: AMonkey.2385

AMonkey.2385

Maybe you should play video games for fun, not virtual rewards. Just a thought.

in WvW

Posted by: Igolbug.7295

Igolbug.7295

I was doing WvW for 23 out of the last 29 hours. I got soo hungry because there was just ALWAYS something that needed done so there was no breaks to go get food.

I thought all sPvP rewards were cosmetic because you are all on the same playing field from day 1 to day a million.

If you just get rankings well guess what, WvW will have server rankings.

Igolbug – 80 Elementalist
The Owl Exterminators
Crystal Desert

in WvW

Posted by: Superlol.3741

Superlol.3741

Waste of time? Please quit.

[CIR] – Blacktide