AoE Zerging.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Alchemist.7523

Alchemist.7523

I just think the AoE damage is to high , The other night we defending the keep and we have like 10 + AoEs on us on the wall … you can’t build anything , you can’t help player get up , nothing .It just feels so lame.

I think they should reduce AoE damage and Let Only Siege Weapons be able to hit the walls.
Maybe Scale AoE damage depending how many players? Like the more player the more the damage is shared? AT this point it makes WvWvW AoE zerg and no other build can help.

¬ Brightest light casts darkest shadows¬

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Bad idea.

AoEs only hit you that hard if there are many of them, and if there are many of them, they should hit hard. There is nothing wrong with that mechanic.

If you are defending a keep you can avoid many AoEs if you stay closer to the inner side of your wall. Place your siege engines there, build them up quickly and place some healing and protection AoEs to defend yourself and verything is fine.

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Alchemist.7523

Alchemist.7523

Sorry have you done WvW. Where ever we placed the siege we got hit , the walls are to thin. And aoes shouln’t hit you harder than single target spells , I was geting hit by 4 k per hit (thats just from ONE aoe) , it defeats the purpose of Defending the Keep , everyone just stand a spam AoE and you can’t do anything about it .

¬ Brightest light casts darkest shadows¬

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Exploding Acorn.3754

Exploding Acorn.3754

Yeah this is one of the reasons WvW has lost a lot of its appeal to me. I enjoy holding out in a tower against greater numbers while waiting for reinforcements to arrive, but once a enemy group gets too large you can’t do much of anything against them. Once the AoEs start getting used the wall and defense becomes pointless since most AoEs seem to cover the entire section of wall giving you nowhere to stand or set up siege to counter their numbers. Doesn’t help that even trying to get a shot out will see you getting hit for 3-4k a hit.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: enji.7459

enji.7459

Oh does mr. glass cannon die when he stands on the wall? qqqqqqq

Build accordingly and quit complaining. Some people realize going all power isn’t the best in wvw and build for survivability. I have a lot of toughness and arrow carts and aoe don’t bother me at all.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: drwookie.6391

drwookie.6391

I think aoe is fine.

However I do think right now the people on the wall have to stand a little to close to the edge to get their attacks to fire down, which negates the major advantage you should have on the wall. Why should I have to be basically on the edge of the wall to throw my grenades? Can I really not throw my grenades in an arc? Am I throwing them like baseballs? It is very weird.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Spicyhash.7605

Spicyhash.7605

There are elements of attacking and defending that are total bs. One for attacking is what you mentioned. The other is when the defending server builds a catapult inside the keep and purposely shoots the door to knockback anyone using a ram or meleeing the door. It’s completelykitten

CD

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: squiggit.2357

squiggit.2357

Build accordingly and quit complaining.

isn’t it sort of a bad thing to have so many builds and styles rendered null just because the zerg ball exists?

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Wraithowl.8257

Wraithowl.8257

“However I do think right now the people on the wall have to stand a little to close to the edge to get their attacks to fire down, which negates the major advantage you should have on the wall. Why should I have to be basically on the edge of the wall to throw my grenades? Can I really not throw my grenades in an arc? Am I throwing them like baseballs? It is very weird.”

I agree with drwookie. As a Guardian I can stand both on the wall or beneath a wall with massive AoE raining down and as long as I’m not rooted or otherwise immobilized I can jump in and out of the AoE area to deliver my own attacks and support spells without dying. Its a matter of tactics. Like drwookie what I think does need to be fixed (and this has been mentioned on multiple threads) is the line of sight from the walls and the range from the walls.

Walls should really provide a small boost to range and there shouldn’t be a need to stand directly on the edge of the wall to be able to make your effects work appropriately on people that are well within range outside the walls.

The dynamic of AoE’s hitting through doors, although unrealistic, is OK. It works for both sides so its not really an unfair advantage to either side. And after all, if we can suspend disbelief to play a game where people are hurtling fireballs and disappearing from plain sight why are we worried about a little AoE splash-through?

Wraithowl – Norn Guardian, Zwash – Asura Ranger,
Swash – Human Necro, Swarsh – Char Thief
Fist of the North – SBI

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: nysta.6713

nysta.6713

second on the “glass cannon” comment. i took most of my points out of power and aoe rarely worries me, to the point i often run into it just to sling off a few spells before running back again to heal up. if you’re dying to quick with aoe, you really should think about being more ahem defensive. which is, technically, on topic with the walls…

also, i’m right with the whole boosting of range on the wall. there doesn’t seem enough of an advantage in defending. if defending within the keep was a little better, it would make actually taking the keep something of an event rather than a zergy yawn.

i would love to have keeps be a bit harder to capture. imagine the word going out over the server, “we got a keep!” and getting cheers.

it would be awesome if they were a lot harder to capture and easier to defend. at the moment, with the ease with which you can take a keep with a reasonable zerg (even if the opposition seems reasonably balanced in numbers) is a bit ridiculous.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: enji.7459

enji.7459

isn’t it sort of a bad thing to have so many builds and styles rendered null just because the zerg ball exists?

Haha people actually think they should just be able to run around in whatever build they want (glass cannon) and live through focus fire and stacked aoes. You can build better, you can run in coordinated groups that use shields/condition removals, etc. etc. etc.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: nachtnebel.9168

nachtnebel.9168

Using glass cannon builds in World PvP is just stupid. Last week we had a Thief flamming in /t about how underpowered his class because he died so often. The end of the story: he had ~10k HP.

If we are defending a tower we use protection AoEs and chars with at least 22k HP to rezz those who died on the walls and to man the siege engines that can be reached by the attackers AoEs. And guess what: It works!

Salix Babylonica (Necro), Tharnath (Guardian), N Faculty (Mesmer),
Occam Pi (Ele), Acaena Elongata (Warrior), Finja Salversdotir (Ranger),
Bytestream (Engineer), Vim Whitespace (Thief)

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Thorvald.5432

Thorvald.5432

Yeah people need to realize they should stop using berserker set and focus on resitance. This what pvp has always been about in any MMOs. Resistance first, damage second.

But I guess they prefer to whine.

Invaders [Inv] – Vizunah Square

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Karicus.8356

Karicus.8356

Going full glass cannon is fine… I’m trying it with my thief now.

HOWEVER, you need to pick targets carefully, get in and out fast, constantly move and expect to die! BIGGEST thing there; expect to die.

and die alot lol

My build is not great for keep / tower attacks or defenses because of the AOE issue. I notice many people build their characters to do lots of aoe damage, just for these kind of situations. The thing I love about W3 is the fact there are many different situations.

Although I know i’m not great at keep attacks I know I’m pretty well set up for supply camps, dollyacks and open war. I dont complain about it, I know what I’m good at and that’s how i built, stick to what your good at because whatever it is you do, your helping your server at some point, some where

Stormbluff Isle – The Brewery
www.thebrewery.weebly.com

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

squiggit.2357

Haha people actually think they should just be able to run around in whatever build they want (glass cannon) and live through focus fire and stacked aoes.

I never said anything about using “whatever you want”. I’m just saying I think it’s stupid to brush off so many weapons/trait/gear setups being nonviable as perfectly fine.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Shini.7542

Shini.7542

AoEs are already kinda nerfed in this game. You are only able to hit 5 targets with player aoes which actually isnt a lot in defensive and offensive ways. Only siege weapons are not restricted (iirc).
Put your weapons at better spots at the wall, small corners etc. If they are open standing it will be killed in a few secs if the enemy isn’t dumb.

[IL] Shinis (Thief+Ranger)
Dzagonur

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Sarahphim.1308

Sarahphim.1308

My main problem with AoEs is that people can target the base of the tower and hit everyone on the top of it. Sorry – but I don’t think AoEs should have an infinite vertical range.

Also, this may be just an engineer issue, but my range is so short that I can only hit people who are practically right on the castle while I stand on the wall.

POW! Right to the cranium!

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Or you can get some people out of the wall and distract them, then the people will swarm the player and you can use the defensive siege to annihilate them.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

squiggit.2357

Sorry – but I don’t think AoEs should have an infinite vertical range.

I don’t think it would be that bad if AoEs had vertical range in both directions. The problem is that if you’re on the wall, the game accounts for the distance downward as part of your max range, while it appears to not do the same while firing upwards.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Paradopx.3804

Paradopx.3804

This is a very dumb post, sorry it had to be said. Nothing you said it valid. “Ohh we want to take this keep, but they keep attacking us, wvw is BROKEN”, are you serious? You can set up siege OUTSIDE the limit of their siege, and kill it. If they have people, carts, and balistas up, set up a cata or a treb out of range and ask people to help with supplies. When is the last time you were in a 1v1 and you used AoE attacks to kill the person? RARELY ever happens; why? Because they do not do that much damage in comparison, especially since you can heal yourself and dodge twice. If they have a TON of red circles as soon as you approach the keep, maybe you should consider defending, taking a supply camp, setting up extra ranged siege as discussed. Stay out of the red circles and AoE does 0% dmg; It’s quite simple. (PS. Your server has siege equipment and AoE’s too, try defending)

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Ralathar.7236

Ralathar.7236

If you are outnumbered to the extent that you cannot open field them, you can’t pincer them, you can’t hold the walls, and you can’t hold them off then why should you win?

I mean granted I agree on walls adding range and having a more lenient viewing angle, currently they don’t favor the defender as they should. But overwhelming force >>> keep. That’s the way it should be.

Rashanala – 80 Elementalist
Ehmry Bay – Legion of the Iron Hawk [Hawk]

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

Posted by: Paradopx.3804

Paradopx.3804

I don’t think it would be that bad if AoEs had vertical range in both directions. The problem is that if you’re on the wall, the game accounts for the distance downward as part of your max range, while it appears to not do the same while firing upwards. [/quote]

It is done that way on purpose, height advantage should mean something.

AoE Zerging.

in WvW

squiggit.2357

It is done that way on purpose, height advantage should mean something.

Erm. Except this does the opposite. It gives you a height disadvantage by decreasing your effective range while you’re on the high ground.