AoE on reviving people.

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Strang.8170

Strang.8170

“In PvP and WvW we see people using AOEs on enemy players rezzing other etc”

That´s a quote from a rough livestream transcript, stream which i sadly missed, but can anyone who actualy saw it elaborate on what exactly were they on about with that?

I mean, i´m astonished, flabbergasted even, if that´s one of the reasons for reducing aoe effectiveness. I just can´t see how that would be a bad thing.

Dr.Strang E – Nameless veterans (NV) – Gandara (EU)
[ ex- Piken Square (EU), ex- Aurora Glade (EU) ]

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

I think the devs are seeing a problem that some aoes are so much better than single target abilities on the same weapon that you would rather aoe than attack the ressing or downed player with single target abilities.

One example of this is theifs clusterbomb. It so outclasses the other weapon skills on a thiefs bar that most thieves will prefer to clusterbomb spam if they can, single target? clusterbomb, lots of target, clusterbomb. I think the devs want to make it so you are more efficient to use single target attacks against single targets, than an aoe against a single enemy.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Fistarius.2496

Fistarius.2496

Please don’t take rezzing out of combat situations in WvW! It’s how we bait in the noobs … and the arrogant…

Tick Toxic

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

The PvP balance dev said it was a problem even before this last livecast. Something to the extent of it being a problem that you could kill the downed guy and the players trying to revive them at the same time.

Last patch gave you more health to the downed state as well. Pretty lame to me. They want to make it impossible for you to die I guess.

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

I think the devs are seeing a problem that some aoes are so much better than single target abilities on the same weapon that you would rather aoe than attack the ressing or downed player with single target abilities.

One example of this is theifs clusterbomb. It so outclasses the other weapon skills on a thiefs bar that most thieves will prefer to clusterbomb spam if they can, single target? clusterbomb, lots of target, clusterbomb. I think the devs want to make it so you are more efficient to use single target attacks against single targets, than an aoe against a single enemy.

The whole idea that people will “just spam their aoes” is false, because most if not all of these have cooldowns. Not surprisingly, thief is the best example people can come up with for so-called aoe spam, because their aoe damaging ability lacks a true cooldown, since the class works on initiative.

Anyway, as a shortbow Thief, the way you kill stuff is by laying down your poison field, which also weakens them for an insanely long period of time (You did take Lotus Poison, right?). Cluster Bomb while above 6 ini because you get a damage boost that way. Trick Shot as filler and for initiative, refreshing poison field and kiting as needed.

Incidentally, this isn’t even a case of AoE versus single-target, because Trick Shot hits multiple targets too (bounce).

So no, Cluster Bomb doesn’t “so outclass the other weapon skills on a thief’s bar that most thieves will prefer to cluster bomb spam”. There’s still a rotation, and mindlessly dumping all your ini into Cluster Bombs will usually only get you a quick trip to the respawn point, since your escape abilities #3 and #5 require ini too.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: maloki.3527

maloki.3527

Necromancer’s AoE doesn’t even trigger (Marks) unless someone else stepps into it, it doesn’t trigger on downed players. It’s quite a pain when you mainly run staff, to try and kill a downed player.
When someone tries to revive them it makes me happy!

Maloki – Asura Necro/Sylvari Ele –
@Farshiverpeaks
You’re dumb. You’ll die, and you’ll leave a dumb corpse

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: eithinan.9841

eithinan.9841

With the Thief Clusterbomb, the travel speed is so slow that unless you are dropping it on top of you the enemy has moved on already not even needing to dodge roll…

Please speed up the travel time if you are going to nerf the damage…

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Faranox.4217

Faranox.4217

Chops Mcgee, of Anvil Rock

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Necromancer’s AoE doesn’t even trigger (Marks) unless someone else stepps into it, it doesn’t trigger on downed players. It’s quite a pain when you mainly run staff, to try and kill a downed player.
When someone tries to revive them it makes me happy!

It’s the same with the Ranger traps. I usually throw a flame trap and a frost trap on the downed enemy, and watch whoever steps into it kill the downed enemy and hurt themself. I’ll even throw in an Entangle at that point if I feel the need to really mess with them.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

So… basically what they are saying is since they probably won’t change the rez speed, but don’t want people to attack 5 people that are rezzing downed players. Lol… they don’t want people to be able to stop the enemy team from rezzing? Or do they want single target burst to be even stronger(thieves.. hm…) to be able to stop the rezzing by attacking the downed player?

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: shrewd.5319

shrewd.5319

Insanity. The way it is right now it is very easy to res other players, even in wvw where there is a ton of players aoe’ing everywhere. If anything, they should lower the res rate.

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Note the part about trying to balance both the PvE and PvP effects of any one ability. That’s almost always a path to failure.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

They can split pvp and pve balance in this game, and they already have.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: covenn.7165

covenn.7165

The PvP balance dev said it was a problem even before this last livecast. Something to the extent of it being a problem that you could kill the downed guy and the players trying to revive them at the same time.

Last patch gave you more health to the downed state as well. Pretty lame to me. They want to make it impossible for you to die I guess.

The current downed state is stupid. The reason people AE rez clumps is because it is sometimes the only way to finish players in big fights. As it stands now, even AEing rez clumps, you can still zerg rez someone far faster than you can finish them.

Its stupid.

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Let’s throw away centuries of battle tactics and acumen, simply form a line across from one another, throw down a glove and proceed to spit in each other’s faces. The loser is the one who flinches first.

On topic: if it wasn’t so ridiculously easy to revive in combat or ridiculously time consuming kill a downed player perhaps adversaries wouldn’t require any thought to counters or tactics.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: Zosk.5609

Zosk.5609

If the revivers are required to typically push to a body to revive it then the attackers should be required to typically push to the body to prevent it…not spam AE from a wall.

Some have a religious belief against reviving in combat and some clearly don’t like it because it acts as a counter against ganking and glass-cannons…. but neither is a good excuse for this lopsided situation. Of course there have been MMOs that had ranged ressurrection in-combat and have made it work as part of the strategy. Frankly, design wise, you usually don’t want to not knock players out of a fight just because of one mistake or bad luck and encourage people to push because usually it results in fights that are more fun.

AoE on reviving people.

in WvW

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

I use aoe if there is several people doing ress, even if theres one i use aoe for EXTRA damage while i press 1.

This has nothing to do with that anet developer statement, the thing is they dont think as some players like me do. And yes i consider a joke to put a limit in aoe, unless it was a bomb, the farther you are from the cluster the less damage you take….but if its a rain.

I took an arrow to the knee