Are all WvW matchups being decided by off peak hours?

in WvW

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

Why my contributions should count for more than someone from Australia:

Because when I play, each team has a full zone with a queue. When the guy from Australia plays, in many cases it’s his “unofficial Oceanic” server with 40+ people facing two other servers with about 10 people each.

I fight full 3-way battles against maximum opposition to claw my way through the map and hang on to what we capture. He rolls over the map with very little competition. That’s why his accomplishments should count for less.

And yes, we have seen this roughly every other matchup. Big 3-way battles which taper off around 3am and then around 4-5am, POW, Oceanic players are getting off of work and logging in, but mostly all on the same server, and that server sweeps the entire map in all 4 zones in less than 1 hour. Like clockwork. The hard fought points of the day are swamped by the “no competition” points of the Oceanic time frame.

So what happens when I (an australian on a non-unofficial oceanic server) capture a tower, keep or supply camp when the odds are heavily stacked against me? Considering I would be working harder to take said objective against a far superior force, do I get less points for my teams effort because its somehow my fault I didnt stack myself with the other “nightcappers”?

Again, stop whinging. My offpeak team works a heck of a lot harder to take our objectives than your daywalker crew does. While you field a full team with Queues, we have to scramble whatever mercenary force we can and fight against a full night time crew.

Be proactive
Recruit more
Organise yourselves
& Stop kitten complaining

in WvW

Posted by: Stormcycle.4208

Stormcycle.4208

Or I guess people could just transfer

in WvW

Posted by: Nabrok.9023

Nabrok.9023

People are putting too much emphasis on scores relative to the other two servers.

Remember, all the winning server gets is a harder fight next time around.

The reward for WvW participation is the bonuses the entire world gets based on your score. Just because one of your opponents has more doesn’t mean you can’t go in and get more for your own world. Conversely, just because we have more than the other two worlds doesn’t mean we should stop trying to increase what we already have.

I say remove the scores. You can still show who is first, second and third, but take the scores off.

“I’m not a PvE, WvW, or PvP player – I am a Guild Wars 2 player”
Tarnished Coast – Dissentient [DIS]
All classes

in WvW

Posted by: Splintrr.7391

Splintrr.7391

“Are all WvW matchups being decided by off peak hours?”

Absolutely NOT. Many get dominated by pure numbers, such as below.

Attachments:

Feralblood(Guardian) Splintrr(Ranger)
Warsworn [WAR], Dragonbrand
Evermoor Alliance

in WvW

Posted by: Slamz.5376

Slamz.5376

The whole problem is one of balance.

If each team could only field 10 people, then points should be scored fully. I don’t begrudge nighttime players full points just because they can’t fill a zone.

When one team fields 5x the population of the other two teams, then they should not be allowed to generate tons of points regardless of what time it is.

Basically you think it’s a time zone problem.

It’s not.

It’s a population balance problem.

Camelot Unchained – from the makers of DAOC
A game that’s 100% WvW
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

in WvW

Posted by: Tzash.5748

Tzash.5748

When one team fields 5x the population of the other two teams, then they should not be allowed to generate tons of points regardless of what time it is.

Why not? If one server can organise a good number of people to be on at a certain time and another server can’t then why do we penalise the organised server?

Numerical superiority is supposed to be an advantage. You want to drag everything down to the lowest common denominator.

in WvW

Slamz.5376

Because sweeping a map with numerical superiority is not fun, is not a skill, is not a challenge, says very little about actual skill differences between servers and has no business in a point-based game.

If you want to make comparison to real-world war, then let’s go that route and just get rid of scoring entirely.

Real war rewards numerical superiority, but not with “score”.

A game that’s 100% WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Karicus.8356

Karicus.8356

OOOH its population balance you want…well… go SPvP..8v8 thats balanced..

I agree no one likes running into a zerg but this IS WvWvW IT HAPPENS.. ITS NOT BALANCED or is it supposed to be… if your fielding a lesser army, dont expect to start taking high profile positions, get what you can, think outside the box. That’s why it’ll never be ‘balanced’ to encourage differing tactics.

Again still no problem.. except it doesnt suit YOU. any form of open warfare, be it W3 or RvR in warhammer or DAoC will NEVER EVER EVER be balanced. It’s the nature of the beast. There will be times your winning, times when your not, times when you field more ppl than the enemy, times when you dont and THAT, my friend, is what makes WvWvW exciting.

Stormbluff Isle – The Brewery
www.thebrewery.weebly.com

in WvW

Karicus.8356

Oh your after skill… well then the skill comes in facing larger opponents. I’ll agree it takes no skill to join a zerg but it does take skill to form a small group and skirt around, make new tactics, pick out new points THAT’s where your skill comes in.

Also a lot of skill in SPvP :p

in WvW

Tzash.5748

Even if every server has the max number of players in WvW, how many battles will be fought on an even footing? Practically none. And even if a battle is roughly even I can bet both sides are calling for reinforcements.

Numerical superiority is a tactic. A valid tactic. But you want to punish people for it. Where does it end? Do we start handicapping servers that use TS now because they are better organised than the ones that don’t?

in WvW

Slamz.5376

OOOH its population balance you want

WvWvW is supposed to have zone-wide population balance, yes.

While any individual fight may be 50 vs 2, and that’s absolutely fine, what you can’t have is the entire ZONE being 50 vs 2 or worse, the entire WvWvW matchup being 50vs2vs2. (50 vs 25 vs 25 would actually be fine, and is why you have 3-teams instead of 2 — because one team is not supposed to be able to outnumber the other two combined.)

That’s not even a game.

That’s barely even PvE.

A game that’s 100% WvW

in WvW

Karicus.8356

it may be intended but unless the ques are full, that will never be the case. So, suggestion here, while your waiting for more ppl to log on join small groups and, as I said before, do what you can. You cant force ppl to log in, nor can you penalize those that do.

How would you like it? Not being able to W3 because the enemy hasnt put up as many fighters? OR having your hard work reduced in worth because you have more people around than the enemy do?

Unlike SPvP; W3’s population will always be fluid unless all maps are full.. There is already a pop cap to stop one server having too many more ppl on a map than others (as well as to reduce lag etc)

I agree 50 v 2v2 is a bit of bad luck for the 2, but what you want? the 50 being reduced to match? then you have 48 people on the forums screaming the ques are too long and no one can play.

I dont think you thought this through OR really understand the principle behind open warfare. Sorry. My observations based upon comments left.

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.3926

Nick.3926

HoD owns us (SBI) and JQ at night. Day time it’s pretty even most of the time. Come late night and HoD will be up by 100-200 points. Every night.

I honestly don’t see a solution to this other then balancing servers not off of performance but off of average participation. That way servers who can field the most people 24/7 are facing the same numbers on average.

in WvW

Tzash.5748

HoD owns us (SBI) and JQ at night. Day time it’s pretty even most of the time. Come late night and HoD will be up by 100-200 points. Every night.

I honestly don’t see a solution to this other then balancing servers not off of performance but off of average participation. That way servers who can field the most people 24/7 are facing the same numbers on average.

100-200 points up is not owning relatively speaking. In fact that suggests that while HoD have a stronger night crew your own are doing a pretty bang up job of holding their own.

in WvW

Posted by: Sui.2586

Sui.2586

What kills a game faster than anything is when a game stops being fun. This game stopped being fun when the sole determining factor for success turned out to be “how many Aussies are on your server.” It’s not players’ job to give Anet time to fix their game (especially when the last official post on this issue was that this situation is working as intended). It’s Anet’s job to give us a game that’s worth playing.

^^^^ This. ^^^^

Generation Gaming
Isle of Janthir

in WvW

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

Scrap the US/EU server paradigms and shift all players into one server pool. No more off-peak.

Coming from Australia,I’ve always had to deal with latency in most games,so latency issues aren’t such a big deal for me.But,I really don’t think most of the people wanting to penalize international players further would have what it takes to play on servers that offer 200+ ping. =P

I’ve played in/with International clans/guilds all my life,so working with International players is just so everyday for me.But for most of the people wanting to penalize Interantional players further,it is obviously just way too much work to intergrate into international gaming.

Imho,I don’t belive most of the people having a whine about this issue,have been or are going to ever bother to get with the program of spreading their wings into international gaming,and would just prefer to keep amongst their own region.

Also I’m getting tired of these players calling for oceanics to spread out amongst the servers.You can only spread out so much until finding people to play with your time zone is impossible.

A great number of Australian players made a lot of effort to try to mitigate these very problems by spreading out,while still maintaining a big enough prescence to have others of our time zone to play with.Do a google search about unnofficial oceanic servers and you’ll see that the Aussies were trying months in advance to work something out.

A FYI,some Ozzie Guilds/players have moved to more populated servers now and some are contemplating it just because,the Americans have not populated evenly enough amongst servers or are transfering to FTW servers.So maybe you US players/guilds ought to spread out asap,while there are still night crews left on other servers,else what IS left of us will be transfering to the three big unnoficial Oceanic servers soon.

Side note,GW2 WvWvW isnt about your guild,it’s about the server as a whole,and you don’t own a server,it owns you. =P

I’ve done quite a bit of server hopping of late looking for my permanant home,but have failed to find any server that plays and/or communicates as a whole.Which brings me to another point.Why is it so hard to have server forums ?

in WvW

Posted by: Keldrath.4735

Keldrath.4735

The whole point of the server balancing is so that servers like henge wont be matched against servers like kaineng for 2 weeks straight.

Not so people can stroke their egos. Or cry about theirs being bruised.

80 Necromancer/Guardian/Mesmer
Isle of Janthir
Super Ultra Mega Awesome [SUMA]

in WvW

Posted by: Stormcycle.4208

Stormcycle.4208

Not really sure about that. There is a ranking system based on who does the best, that means this is a server competition.

in WvW

Posted by: Snort.3698

Snort.3698

On the Gunnars Hold, Blacktide, Gandara match up, of peak hours seem to dictate the margin of victory rather than the victory itself.

Snorth Tufmudda – The UnNamed _ThUn.
Project Blacktide 24/7 http://tinyurl.com/a3unn9b

in WvW

Posted by: Pherenice.8124

Pherenice.8124

What kills games faster than anything is a bunch of impatient people running around saying the game is dying simply because they don’t want to wait for the matchmaking system to play out as intended.

If you don’t want to wait for the matchmaking system to settle into a stable configuration of server groupings, then suggest a viable alternative that allows arenanet to accurately determine reasonable groupings. Provide support above and beyond, “I think this will work”. This support should entail a fair bit of math (as that’s what went into deciding on the existing matchmaking system).

And since you’re worried that protracted annealing will drive people away from the game, your solution should be a one-shot fix.

If they pay me I will tell them exactly how to fix their problem and take responsibility for it. Until then I will point it out just in case they arent sure.

The idea that matchmaking will solve anything, is a story they concocted for obedient rubes like yourself. Even if it did make a more enjoyable experience for everyone it would do anything to fix any underlying problems.

If you posses any amount of congnitive ability, it should not be hard for you to deduce problems with a game without the game designers telling you what they are. You can agree with me or disagree with me and support yourself all you want, but dont tell me we are incapable of knowing what the real problems are. Thats a BS argument that might work for you, but people who actually enjoy thinking may not be satisfied by it.

As far as games dying, it isnt really important if people are right or wrong for deciding not to play any more. What should be important is identifying the reasons and doing what you can to rectify them. That is, if you want a healthy population playing your game.

lol dude, its WvW with 3 servers hundreds of players 1 million variables and you claim you can solve it when they pay you ?

WvW it is imposible to have it balanced, they can rematch you and you can have a perfect balance today, but tomorow you can lose evrything.

Get out of your fantasy world.

I see a little Eve inside WvW – espionage – backstabs – Good guilds – good alliance – off peak hours – good players – bad players.

^how can you balance this wise elder ?

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow Phage.9084

Shadow Phage.9084

What kills games faster than anything is a bunch of impatient people running around saying the game is dying simply because they don’t want to wait for the matchmaking system to play out as intended.

If you don’t want to wait for the matchmaking system to settle into a stable configuration of server groupings, then suggest a viable alternative that allows arenanet to accurately determine reasonable groupings. Provide support above and beyond, “I think this will work”. This support should entail a fair bit of math (as that’s what went into deciding on the existing matchmaking system).

And since you’re worried that protracted annealing will drive people away from the game, your solution should be a one-shot fix.

If they pay me I will tell them exactly how to fix their problem and take responsibility for it. Until then I will point it out just in case they arent sure.

The idea that matchmaking will solve anything, is a story they concocted for obedient rubes like yourself. Even if it did make a more enjoyable experience for everyone it would do anything to fix any underlying problems.

If you posses any amount of congnitive ability, it should not be hard for you to deduce problems with a game without the game designers telling you what they are. You can agree with me or disagree with me and support yourself all you want, but dont tell me we are incapable of knowing what the real problems are. Thats a BS argument that might work for you, but people who actually enjoy thinking may not be satisfied by it.

As far as games dying, it isnt really important if people are right or wrong for deciding not to play any more. What should be important is identifying the reasons and doing what you can to rectify them. That is, if you want a healthy population playing your game.

lol dude, its WvW with 3 servers hundreds of players 1 million variables and you claim you can solve it when they pay you ?

WvW it is imposible to have it balanced, they can rematch you and you can have a perfect balance today, but tomorow you can lose evrything.

Get out of your fantasy world.

I see a little Eve inside WvW – espionage – backstabs – Good guilds – good alliance – off peak hours – good players – bad players.

^how can you balance this wise elder ?

Realistically, you can’t balance it without it becoming utterly stale. Barring that, use:

Attachments: