Are free server transfers ruining wvw?

in WvW

Posted by: ako.8973

ako.8973

Q:

I think they are, am curious if others feel the same way. In addition to the 24 hour thing I think they should add a 3 day wvw block on server transfers to stop people gaming the system.

Also while I’m here, do other server have the total lack of tactics that Desolation has? we have absolutely no grasp (as a server) of the importance of defence or feints, we just zerg attack everything that’s not our colour. Expect to see Desolation slide down the ranks.

Big Picture
Desolation ~ Just the [Tip]

in WvW

Posted by: Atticus Creed.4062

Atticus Creed.4062

With people swapping servers to grief the opposition and everyone flocking to HoD making them only stronger I think free transfers have ruined WvW to a point.

Free transfers also have the potential to fix WvW but not many guilds seem willing to make the switch to a different server to try and make up for the downtime on some servers.

[Res] The Prestige

in WvW

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

I think alot of things ruin WvW and its going to end up just being a fight between the few servers that all the WvW players flock to. So if your server doesnt have a huge 24/7 zerg raiding guild then have fun trying to gank your own supply camps and towers back for a few minutes just for to get some PvP in.

I guess this is what alot of people consider WvW to be, I thought it was a gonna be a much more casual PvP option and not so focused on scores and junk.

But tht was just me being wrong. WvW can really be fun for awhile but once the server with the higher population starts rolling you ppl just quit and its bleh.

So ppl swapping servers to “spy” or dump supplies is only salt in the wound if your server has weak WvW population.

The good thing about free server transfers is I if you really care about WvW you can just keep hoping on the most dominate servers and be part of the “winners”

in WvW

Posted by: MrPicklez.6473

MrPicklez.6473

Everyone wants the easy wins, no one wants to work for them. Being on HoD, if anything, shouldn’t be something to be proud of. Staying on a stuggling server is something to be proud of.

So, yes, free and unlimited transfers have hurt WvW. People transfer off of the losing and underpopulated servers to the winning and overpopulated servers. It seems that few want to fight against the odds, they’d have those odds in their favor.

in WvW

ako.8973

The good thing about free server transfers is I if you really care about WvW you can just keep hoping on the most dominate servers and be part of the “winners”

You call that a good thing, I think that is the problem. You shouldn’t be able to hop to the winners, the game should encourage (and I think is designed to encourage) server pride rather than allow gaming the system like this.

Your server should be a meaningful thing for you, I’ve been desolation since day1 of headstart and only care where my server is in the ranking.

Big Picture

(edited by ako.8973)

in WvW

Posted by: CriSPeH.8512

CriSPeH.8512

You call that a good thing, I think that is the problem. You shouldn’t be able to hop to the winners, the game should encourage (and I think is designed to encourage) server pride rather than allow gaming the system like this.

Your server should be a meaningful thing for you, I’ve been desolation since day1 of headstart and only care where my server is in the ranking.

Sorry! I shouldve added a /sarcasm or something, I was attempting to be a smartass.

I was just trying to point out that as long as there is a score ppl will want to be a part of the highest score, whether they earn it through tactics or just having greater numbers throughout the day.

Im on CD and we have gotten completely rolled the last two matches but I will stay on CD and hope things will even out later, but as it is ppl have no incentive to play WvW because we have no chance to win or even get close to second.

Personally I am still enjoying ganking Godsword back over and over…even if its just for a few minutes till ET comes and steps on me…but seems like we only ever have 50 or less ppl playing on our home borderland.

in WvW

Posted by: Caliber.2987

Caliber.2987

It’s arguable whether or not people should be moving to enjoy the game by winning. They paid for the game just like the rest of us. If the mechanic exists to allow them to do something that increases that, they can’t be faulted for using it. This isn’t a matter of pride or honor, it’s a video game and apart from the RP aspect of those qualities no one is handing out purple hearts for valor.

Some people play the game to be proactive towards the losing server’s goals, others don’t have that tool set or desire. Overall it’s still a game, people tend to confuse game goals with real life goals…

As far as blocking access to WvW, yes, this needs to be adjusted but primarily due to people using it to waste supplies or other things that can be considered uncounterable.

Ultimately they need to start charging (no matter how cheap) for the transfers. Five dollars per transfer even would eliminate the behaviour seen.

Cur/Trc/Draftpunk | The Kindred Guild[TKG] | SBI

in WvW

ako.8973

Server transfer was always supposed to cost, with guesting as a free option (and from the outset guesting meant you were blocked from wvw on the guest server). I agree that it should have been free at first but that time is now well past and I believe the free transfer has for a good few weeks been detrimental to the game.

I understand the people paid their money argument but I’ll never agree with it, you don’t just switch sides in a football match to always be on the winning side, you help to make your own side better or accept your place.

It’s a difference between playing the game and gaming the game, I’ll always try to play the game in front of me, some people will always try to cheat it for personal gain. In my opinion it is the responsibility of the game developers to provide an environment where the game can be played as intended.

Big Picture

in WvW

Posted by: Attila the Hun.8569

Attila the Hun.8569

Transfers allready ruined the WvWvW but don’t get me wrong weak players thinking moving to wining servers making them stronger are wrong anyway players who flee to wining servers are the mindless zerg who mostly was anyway useless so actualy they doing us a favor , there is no glory in jumping server prety much you don’t achieve anything by doing so

Woxiko (Warrior) – Mssneaky (Mesemer) – Xardd (Elementalist)
Desolation Satsugai

(edited by Attila the Hun.8569)

in WvW

Posted by: Maddeth.5893

Maddeth.5893

in WvW

Posted by: Attila the Hun.8569

Attila the Hun.8569

I think they should make the account 1/server to not allow to create spy characters on enemy servers so you have 5 character slots but you allowed to create all of them on the same server transefers sure 1/month but all of your characters also the cross server chat has to go.

Woxiko (Warrior) – Mssneaky (Mesemer) – Xardd (Elementalist)
Desolation Satsugai

in WvW

Posted by: Legael.7806

Legael.7806

I think it’s time to end free server transfers ASAP. The first week or 2 was fine but it’s 5 weeks into the game and they still persists.

No guild is going to transfer if they lose all their upgrades so end the transfers now or suffer the consequences Arenanet of unbalanced WvW matchups from people transferring just to go on the winning side.

I wouldn’t even announce the end of the transfers and let all the spies and cheats who did transfer to interfere with the WvW matchup of other servers pay up for transfer back to their guilds server.

If they want to transfer to other servers to mess with the matchups they should be consequences for their actions.

in WvW

Posted by: Cipherzx.4725

Cipherzx.4725

They just need to limit the free transfer to 1 time per month at least. The way it is now just makes it easy to abuse the system.

in WvW

Posted by: Proven.2854

Proven.2854

Server transfers are still live and free because they need us, the players, to organize ourselves if we want to maximize WvW potential. They can’t force us, though. They’re not doing a great job with incentives, however.

One thing they could do is only allow a transfer from a server if the server you’re transferring to has a lower WvW rank.

Call me Smith.

in WvW

Posted by: Kuari.8106

Kuari.8106

What they should do is make it where transferring to a high pop server makes it where you can’t participate in WvW for say a month. Moving to a lower pop could be allowed quickly and perhaps with some sort of bonus given to low pop servers in general (not just to new transfers to avoid low pop server hopping just to maintain the bonus).

Creation stays the same. Don’t want to seperate new players from whatever friends they might have on a high population server.

in WvW

Posted by: Jomg.9061

Jomg.9061

Yep they are, obviously.

When a server loss, mass people migrate instantly, giving no chance to the looser to get back on his feet, and making the winning server full of queue.

Gj Anet, just wait longer so we end up with 90% of the mcm population on 2 or 3 server. it’ll be perfect that way.

Pervx [DEX]

in WvW

Posted by: Slartibartfast.2170

Slartibartfast.2170

Yes, this is the biggest flaw of the game and I believe is causing people to quit playing more than anything (that is if they are into pvp).

It ruins the fun, it ruins server unity, it is stupid and pointless. If Arenanet really wanted to make money, they would force people to pay to transfer servers.

The spying, the cheating, the servers going empty or just losing terribly at wvwvw as a result is saddening me. It is causing me to not want to play as much because the server I am on seems to be losing people while the servers we fight seem to gain people.

What is arenanet thinking? – obviously not too much about wvwvw – they were doing everything so right and well, until this major blunder that is causing wvwvw on many servers to implode.

It might be hard to say that arenanet even cares, because as a buy2play game, they don’t get subs, so why care if people quit? The ones who stay (especially these hardcore guilds) will be more than happy to continue buying gems from them and their item shops – thus giving them the money that they seem to care about more than anything. Well, they don’t care about money enough to make people pay for transfers..but perhaps they are making enough at the moment to not care about that.

[Abys] Spoonerism – 80 engineer – Darkhaven
I am not the youtube spoonerism, nor did I know about him prior to selecting this name.
Google spoonerism, it is a real word.

(edited by Slartibartfast.2170)

in WvW

Posted by: FlawlessRuby.1907

FlawlessRuby.1907

Yes it’s ruining it badly. Our server is losing all is player to the strongest WvW server…

in WvW

Posted by: Wothan.4673

Wothan.4673

Free transfert atm is pretty useless for balance serv…

If you win ppl move to you, you lose, their leave…. how balanced serv when so many useless leecher swtich following victories or lose…

Nahtow – [SR] Soul Reapers
Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

Yes they are everyone is transferring to the winning side cause let’s face it winning is more fun than losing and being spawn camped. This leaves the weaker sides being out numbered heavily and further stacking the stronger side especially during off hours where the weaker side will barely have any players. I honestly don’t know why server transfers aren’t locked yet they are just ruining WvW in the long run. I’m on Crystal Desert and noticed over the past couple weeks that the # of players playing WvW on our server has reduced substantially to the point there is no queue anymore.

What are you left with a server that has a huge amount of players and large queue times and the weaker servers with barely any players. I don’t even really bother to queue up for WvW anymore because once the winning side gets momentum like 3 orbs and owns 80% of the map you can’t do much with like 30 players facing a full load. I’m disappointed because anet is just sitting back and hasn’t posted anything about this

(edited by RoRo.8270)

in WvW

Posted by: FlawlessRuby.1907

FlawlessRuby.1907

“Free transfert atm is pretty useless for balance serv…

If you win ppl move to you, you lose, their leave…. how balanced serv when so many useless leecher swtich following victories or lose…"

And what happen if we end up losing every day to the same server you think?