Arrowcarts aiming just roots of the walls

in WvW

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

Hey guys,

first of all I have to say I am not to experienced about the sieges in WvWvW, I just men them up occasionally just to get an idea how they are working.

So my question is, I was not very active in the new maps, I found them confusing and I don’t enjoy them, so mostly stayed away but yesterday my guild was doing some missions I joined them.

Then we are trying to get some castle/tower (I don’t know) defenders were just aiming the Arrow Cart to the roots of the walls from inside. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t the Arrow Cart need line of sight to aim some point, ballistically it is impossible to land shots there.

I know in the old maps, there are some hacks, like flying in the air and aiming position otherwise impossible to aim, are those sort of hacks still possible?

I mean actually, it should be quite easy to detects those, if somebody is shooting inside of a castle and hits the roots of a wall, isn’t directly a flag for a hack?

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Translation did not work.

in WvW

Posted by: Waffle.3748

Waffle.3748

Hey guys,

first of all I have to say I am not to experienced about the sieges in WvWvW, I just men them up occasionally just to get an idea how they are working.

So my question is, I was not very active in the new maps, I found them confusing and I don’t enjoy them, so mostly stayed away but yesterday my guild was doing some missions I joined them.

Then we are trying to get some castle/tower (I don’t know) defenders were just aiming the Arrow Cart to the roots of the walls from inside. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t the Arrow Cart need line of sight to aim some point, ballistically it is impossible to land shots there.

I know in the old maps, there are some hacks, like flying in the air and aiming position otherwise impossible to aim, are those sort of hacks still possible?

I mean actually, it should be quite easy to detects those, if somebody is shooting inside of a castle and hits the roots of a wall, isn’t directly a flag for a hack?

Arrow carts should easily be able to land shots down at the base of the wall. There were some Line of Sight issues with arrow carts for a while, but they seem to have been fixed up.

in WvW

Posted by: Zachary Stiers

Zachary Stiers

Gameplay Programmer

Arrow carts have a special type of line-of-sight calculation. This type of calculation allows for shooting from the top of walls to the bottom of walls, even from farther back on the walls. This is because in standard line of sight you would have to build the arrow cart right up on the edge of the wall which makes the arrow cart effectively worthless as targeting them down is trivial.

Sidenote: This is true for all of WvW and is unrelated to the new maps. You will see the same thing in Eternal Battlegrounds.

Real Life Hero

in WvW

Posted by: Bubi.5237

Bubi.5237

This is because in standard line of sight you would have to build the arrow cart right up on the edge of the wall which makes the arrow cart effectively worthless as targeting them down is trivial.

Tbh they are close to worthless even if you put them on the other edge (the one inner edge) of the walls as Meteor Shower can kill them pretty fast there anyway…

“Revenant is actual proof that devs read the necromancer forum” – Pelopidas.2140

in WvW

Posted by: Aggrostemma.1703

Aggrostemma.1703

If you put them on the rails of the stairs they did last for a few shots though….

#I no words have"

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

If you put them on the rails of the stairs they did last for a few shots though….

yeah but will not do much or almost nothing against the only gameplay we have at wvw that feels mostly like “AoE to win”, having necros and eles casting from some places is much more efective then superior ac most of the time, better damage, mobility etc.
Still better than nothing i guess .

@Zachary Stierssiege, any siege on walls is close to be useless no matter if its setted form the inner side of the wall it is easilly reachable and nuked by eles, and all that takes is a 3-4 seconds max to destroy several siege.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Ychiju.7960

Ychiju.7960

any siege on walls is close to be useless no matter if its setted form the inner side of the wall it is easilly reachable and nuked by eles, and all that takes is a 3-4 seconds max to destroy several siege.

If an Ele can destroy your AC, you built it wrong.

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

for your info, my ac’s sometimes even get almost inside the wall from inner, and i builted them down to top form inner also on the larger paths, i dont place ac’s randomly.

→ The issue im talking is how a little aoe can destroy most siege on the wallm, or did player LoS changed?
But im guessing why this must happen to….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Ychiju.7960

Ychiju.7960

Yes of course your AC is not safe there, because the wall is not thick enough. Most objects don’t really have a shortage of better spots to place it.

But as this subject is already touched… it really WOULD be nice if you actually could defend those two air keep walls with an AC.

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

We do seem to have a new issue to go along with an old issue with ac’s.
Since most players know that wall positioning is helpful it is never guaranteed to be far enough away from certain aoe attacks. One solution to this was to simply build the ac inside the tower and aim for the door.
As most people know, the revenant hammers were able to pierce walls/doors and attack players/ac’s that were completely behind or obstructed by a wall. It seemed to be partially fixed for a while but i am noticing it coming back again. In addition, engi’s are able to attack through gates at internal siege similar to how omega golems were able to shoot over the door.
Is this intentional or bugged?

in WvW

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

Arrow carts have a special type of line-of-sight calculation. This type of calculation allows for shooting from the top of walls to the bottom of walls, even from farther back on the walls. This is because in standard line of sight you would have to build the arrow cart right up on the edge of the wall which makes the arrow cart effectively worthless as targeting them down is trivial.

Sidenote: This is true for all of WvW and is unrelated to the new maps. You will see the same thing in Eternal Battlegrounds.

Well my guild build catapults just at the root of the wall and just one single arrow cart was able to destroy those, I never experienced something like that in the old maps. 1 person can defend against 20 people and catapults?

There is no counter play against arrow carts other then having lots of eles.