Ascended Gear

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

Does it make much difference in WvW? Will I have to grind for this gear in order to be competitive? I haven’t done any sort of PvP in this game(thinking about trying it), but I was under the impression that everyone was going to be equal in PvP, where skill mattered and you didn’t have to worry about gear.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Rinzler.8072

Rinzler.8072

i think its like a 2% increase in stats over exotic. Not a big deal.

Rinzler [Mesmer] -BROLIS PASS- Violent Tendencies (vT)
Videos:

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Excalibur.9748

Excalibur.9748

it’s 10% increase in stats. it’s a big deal.

All is vain.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

If it’s really a 10% increase, then I guess I got my answer. This game is turning into a gear grind.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

If it’s really a 10% increase, then I guess I got my answer. This game is turning into a gear grind.

“gear grind” LOL…

Ascended Axe
900-1100
+94 Power
+67 Precision
+5% Critical Damage
Unused Upgrade Slot
Unused Offensive Infusion Slot

Exotic
857-1048
+90 Power
+64 precision
5% Crit Dmg
Unused Upgrade Slot

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

(edited by Feed Me Change.6528)

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Lurch.9517

Lurch.9517

If you want to try equal gear PVP then go to HOM and play s/tpvp, but I think you probably know that already and this is a troll topic.

Lurch
Gandara

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Shemsu.8721

Shemsu.8721

Does it make much difference in WvW? Will I have to grind for this gear in order to be competitive? I haven’t done any sort of PvP in this game(thinking about trying it), but I was under the impression that everyone was going to be equal in PvP, where skill mattered and you didn’t have to worry about gear.

You have alot of mistaken assumptions in your post. Everyone is equal stat wise in PvP this is correct. WvW is NOT pvp, its a pve enviroment that allows pvp, you use PVE gear and PVE stats, it is designed to be unfair, unequal the entire system is based on it. If you want fair and even, goto pure pvp, structured and tourneys not WvW. in addition ascended weapons do not add as much as some people claim, 10%? how is an extra 4 points of power 10% increase? Most chars i know run with a minimum of 2000 power, 4 points is more like a .2% increase. Not much, the base damage increase is greater, but still mostly irrelevant considering the strong condition meta that exists, and it should be noted, condi builds benefit almost nothing from ascended weapons (since in 99% of cases the +4 condi wont put them over the next tier of damage so they will do the exact same amount of damage)

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

following this link exotic items stats are 165% of basic item stats. The ascended stats are at 175%. So that makes ascended 6,06% better than exotic items. Also your can put extra infusions on ascended stuff. Making ascended items additionally better.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Heizero.9183

Heizero.9183

following this link exotic items stats are 165% of basic item stats. The ascended stats are at 175%. So that makes ascended 6,06% better than exotic items. Also your can put extra infusions on ascended stuff. Making ascended items additionally better.

Ascended infusions are crap doe. Anyways i have Incinerator, and all my accessory slots ascended. tbh i don’t notice that much of a difference at all. Maybe an extra 500 damage on my backstab is about the most, IF that. My guard still only has exotic, and he hits like a truck regardless. i have never felt handicapped in anyway for not having ascended, it’s just unrealistic.

Commander Unyielding Shadow – Human Thief
Champion Shadow
Better Luck Next Time [BLNT]-Sea of Sorrows

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

It’s still better than exotics and therefore still alters outcomes.

My mind boggles over how WvW isn’t considered PvP. What do you think people do in WvW battles?

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

Ascended infusions are crap doe. Anyways i have Incinerator, and all my accessory slots ascended. tbh i don’t notice that much of a difference at all. Maybe an extra 500 damage on my backstab is about the most, IF that. My guard still only has exotic, and he hits like a truck regardless. i have never felt handicapped in anyway for not having ascended, it’s just unrealistic.

I didn’t want to say if it’s worth it’s “money” (or whatever you spend on it). I was just stating the facts.

I have equipped every one of my 4 80s with ascended trinkets, but with weapons I might start to see my limits following the power creep. I agree that in most cases it doesn’t make that much of a difference. But can play a role if some very even players/groups meet each other.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: rmBossa.4621

rmBossa.4621

Dont forget that with Ascended weapons the “weapon strength” itself is also increasing, which means its a lot more then just the difference in stats.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Dranul.2094

Dranul.2094

Add in, Ascended Back Piece, Ascended Amulet, Earrings (2), Rings (2) and Weapons. Soon in the works Armour. Then yes its a power creep in a game they said would be no grinding no power creep. Go figure.

Dranul – Guild Leader – The Unlikely Plan [TUP]
Aurora Glade EU
http://theunlikelyplangw2.guildlaunch.com

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: King Amadaeus.8619

King Amadaeus.8619

I am kinda sad at the response from this community…I really thought it was going to be “reject ascendeds” and perma-target the try-hards running with them…

Mag Server Leader

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: oZii.2864

oZii.2864

I don’t think it is as big a deal as people make it out to be. If this was PvE sure you can make the claim against AI mobs that stand around that 6.6% is a big deal. Against people with brains it isn’t.

It really has no effect on anyone running a condition build. A condition builds main damage is usually condition if you go from exotic weapon to asended weapon none of your condition damage goes up at all not even 1 extra point on your bleed. When you look at it from a condition build stand point the 200g early adopter/rusher paid doesnt seem worth it to me.

For direct damage builds it is there but it’s not so big that you would question if the guy is in ascended or not. You get more stats from jewelry when I change builds up I grab exotics first if I am trying something new I don’t feel UP at all.

If this was not a active combat system with dodges etc and traditional style I could see it being a problem but in GW2 I don’t feel it really impacts a fight to where a person with more skill will lose because he doesn’t have ascended.

[Good Fights]Sinndicate{Ele}Sinactic{Engineer}
Sinnastor{Warrior}Sinnacle{Mesmer}Sintacs
{Thief}

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: ryokoalways.3450

ryokoalways.3450

The attribute increase is marginal and completely irrelevent.

The base damage increase of 5% is significant, because it’s base damage, not just a multiplier.

As above has mentioned, it primarily only matters for main-hand weapon, and direct damage purposes. Condi builds have no use for ascended, and outside of several instances where offhand actually matters for damage (dagger ele or something), it doesn’t matter either.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: White Raven.4368

White Raven.4368

If you are going to worry how the enemy is equipped in WvW you will never leave your own Citadel.

Desolation [LOST]Lost in Socks Guild.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

Yep, WvW is turning into the standard MMO PvP. Grind for an advantage, and ossified meta. And GW2 started with such hope.

The real problem here though is that the original gear/stat system was designed around easy to get gear. Now that end game gear is time gated by ludicrous amounts, good luck changing your build.

Just more evidence Ascendeds were tacked on in a panic.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Apparently you’ve never played a game that is a gear grind if you consider Gw2 to be anywhere near a gear grind.

Typically a gear grind game completely locks you out of content if you don’t meet certain levels of gear. Gw2 doesn’t have that. Gear and a proper build does make things easier, but you can do all content in greens/exotics and some even in blues. Heck, you don’t even have to be max level to finish most of the dungeons in Gw2.

The game is very casual as far as gear grinding goes.

(edited by timidobserver.7925)

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Barab.9016

Barab.9016

Is there yet a way to earn the ascended back piece in WvW yet ? Any word if we will be able to gain the ascended weapons in WvW ?

Kurthos “When Jade Quarry awakens, they will ask themselves, when were we ever asleep?”

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Uther Deathhand.1570

Uther Deathhand.1570

Is there yet a way to earn the ascended back piece in WvW yet ? Any word if we will be able to gain the ascended weapons in WvW ?

They said that any place that you could get any other ascended item you can also get weapons, so you could get them from the rank up chests.
Edit: This is for weapons i don’t think there is anyway to get back items in wvw as of now. Hopefully it will be soon.

Work for a cause, not for applause.
Live life to express, not to impress.
Don’t strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt. ~ unknown

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Apparently you’ve never played a game that is a gear grind if you consider Gw2 to be anywhere near a gear grind.

Typically a gear grind game completely locks you out of content if you don’t meet certain levels of gear. Gw2 doesn’t have that. Gear and a proper build does make things easier, but you can do all content in greens/exotics and some even in blues. Heck, you don’t even have to be max level to finish most of the dungeons in Gw2.

No, it doesn’t lock me out but it puts me at a continuous disadvantage in an environment which is supposed to be about skill.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Thrumdi.9216

Thrumdi.9216

No, it doesn’t lock me out but it puts me at a continuous disadvantage in an environment which is supposed to be about skill.

Agreed. Gear in grindy PvP games is never about locking you out.

Why? Because grindy PvP games are based on out-gearing your opponents and then killing them based on that advantage. That is, they need a steady stream of under-geared noobs that are not locked out.

I don’t think it was GW2’s intention that WvW end up like that — it is after all the lame model in every other MMO PvP out there. But, since they broke the Manifesto and introduced a grind treadmill, it was inevitable this would happen.

Thrumdi, Captain of The Tarnished Coastguard

The ultimate GW2 troll.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

Ascended gear is just another piece of cheese, meaningless, and time consuming. Collectively, if you get ALL your ascended trinkets and your weapon, which will take some time, you’re going to see an overall increase of something to the tune of a 2% increase in damage, 5% maybe.

This then makes you wonder...why? Why add this barely better gear that takes so much time to get? The answer is the question: it’s barely better gear that takes time to get. Facilitates keeping player numbers up whilst keeping development costs down, it’s why every MMO has gear treadmills and grinding.

They can say it’s not a grind or a treadmill all they want, but if max stats is your goal, and you play alts, different builds, or both...grab a water bottle and lace up those running shoes, you’re gonna be jogging in place for awhile while...just not on a treadmill, we call it a "stationary running platform" around here, ANet doesn’t make treadmills or grindy games...just shallow and unchallenging game play that hands out rewards like free samples of Orange Chicken at the food court in the mall...and they call it challenging if you have to wait for your free Orange Chicken...

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: JPM.3541

JPM.3541

its a big deal. Makes differences for me.

Hosokawa Tadatoshi – [Suns] – SF

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

“gear grind” LOL…

Ascended Axe
900-1100
+94 Power
+67 Precision
+5% Critical Damage
Unused Upgrade Slot

Exotic
857-1048
+90 Power
+64 precision
5% Crit Dmg
Unused Upgrade Slot

Nice stats, any particular reason for posting them? ;p

Folk obviously need the higher stat gear in pvp & the materials for the arsended weapons are an insane grind to get them.

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Ascended Gear

in WvW

timidobserver.7925

I could put on a bunch of greens and excel just about anywhere including WvW. I might just make a video of it at some point.

Again, you have never played a true gear grinding game if you think GW2 is becoming a gear grinding game. In a true gear grinding game, ascended gear would completely make exotic gear obsolete. However, in Gw2, exotic gear performs only marginally worse than ascended gear.

Basically, you guys are just mad because every thing isn’t handed to you on a silver platter at login. GW2’s gear progression is very casual. You can attain a level of gear that puts you on a level to complete all parts of the game with relative ease in a couple of days after reaching 80. A true gear grinding game has you waiting for raids to reset once a week before you can get elite gear, and there is certain content that you simply can’t do without said gear. As it stands, you should be able to complete every piece of Gw2 content(world bosses, dungeons, exp dungeons, wvw, map completion, ect) with greens.

(edited by timidobserver.7925)

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

I could put on a bunch of greens and do excel just about anywhere including WvW. I might just make a video of it at some point.

Again, you have never played a true gear grinding game if you think GW2 is becoming a gear grinding game. In a true gear grinding game, ascended gear would completely make exotic gear obsolete. However, in Gw2, exotic gear performs only marginally worse than ascended gear.

Basically, you guys are just mad because every thing isn’t handed to you on a silver platter at login. GW2’s gear progression is very casual. You can attain a level of gear that puts you on a level to complete all parts of the game with relative ease in a couple of days after reaching 80. A true gear grinding game has you waiting for raids to reset once a week before you can get elite gear, and there is certain content that you simply can’t do without said gear.

In other games new gear tiers means a higher level cap introduction, higher level cap zones, and generally higher level cap “end game” content.

In GW2 adding the marginal boost to stats of Ascended gear was to avoid significant content additions or adjustments to balance natively higher character power levels. In short it was a cop-out and justified with bull&$@! that contradicts the design goal of high end gear differing in appearance alone, something both Mike and Colin went on the record about.

Fact is if someone in the MMO majority of witless grinders puts time into getting something rare they feel entitled to it being better than everything else. This is a fact and ANet’s hand was forced by the market. MMOs are a reflections of their players.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

timidobserver.7925

I could put on a bunch of greens and do excel just about anywhere including WvW. I might just make a video of it at some point.

Basically, you guys are just mad because every thing isn’t handed to you on a silver platter at login. GW2’s gear progression is very casual. You can attain a level of gear that puts you on a level to complete all parts of the game with relative ease in a couple of days after reaching 80. A true gear grinding game has you waiting for raids to reset once a week before you can get elite gear, and there is certain content that you simply can’t do without said gear.

In other games new gear tiers means a higher level cap introduction, higher level cap zones, and generally higher level cap “end game” content.

In GW2 adding the marginal boost to stats of Ascended gear was to avoid significant content additions or adjustments to balance natively higher character power levels. In short it was a cop-out and justified with bull&$@! that contradicts the design goal of high end gear differing in appearance alone, something both Mike and Colin went on the record about.

Fact is if someone in the MMO majority of witless grinders puts time into getting something rare they feel entitled to it being better than everything else. This is a fact and ANet’s hand was forced by the market. MMOs are a reflections of their players.

Me and many people simply have a different value on things than you. It is precisely the reason I don’t and won’t ever have a legendary. I find that I am not attracted to spending significant amounts of time and effort to obtain a weapon that has no functional difference from something I could just buy from a vendor.

IMO, they should balance it to accommodate everyone, which they have done as far as possible. There is gear progression for people that like it, however the game content is balanced to be able to be completed by someone that doesn’t care to participate in the gear progression.

What they shouldn’t do is remove stuff or not do stuff because select people like yourself don’t want to do it. They should continue to balance things so that you don’t have to do it to compete, but those that want to do it can.

I challenge you to find one part of the game that you need ascended gear to complete.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Feed Me Change.6528

Feed Me Change.6528

“gear grind” LOL…

Ascended Axe
900-1100
+94 Power
+67 Precision
+5% Critical Damage
Unused Upgrade Slot

Exotic
857-1048
+90 Power
+64 precision
5% Crit Dmg
Unused Upgrade Slot

Nice stats, any particular reason for posting them? ;p

Folk obviously need the higher stat gear in pvp & the materials for the arsended weapons are an insane grind to get them.

I provided OP with the stats so he can answer his own question.

NSP>ET>SoS>BG>ET>SoS>JQ>SoS>Mag>JQ
My fun laughs at your server pride.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: CrassBippy.4619

CrassBippy.4619

You have alot of mistaken assumptions in your post. Everyone is equal stat wise in PvP this is correct. WvW is NOT pvp, its a pve enviroment that allows pvp, you use PVE gear and PVE stats, it is designed to be unfair, unequal the entire system is based on it. If you want fair and even, goto pure pvp, structured and tourneys not WvW. in addition ascended weapons do not add as much as some people claim, 10%? how is an extra 4 points of power 10% increase? Most chars i know run with a minimum of 2000 power, 4 points is more like a .2% increase. Not much, the base damage increase is greater, but still mostly irrelevant considering the strong condition meta that exists, and it should be noted, condi builds benefit almost nothing from ascended weapons (since in 99% of cases the +4 condi wont put them over the next tier of damage so they will do the exact same amount of damage)

I love how people defend this. haha

“It was designed to be unfair”

oh really… haha. thats your excuse to why they put the bare minimum effort into WvW?

also people have already done tests, and an ascended dagger, for example, on a thief, would be doing 5700 per crit, vs 5200. so an extra 200-500 dmg per hit is a pretty big deal. wep dmg goes through crit dmg multipliers, hence 50 dmg = big deal

but hey, grind wxp to get more stats, use that bloodlust buff to get even more stats, then get ascended armor and weapons and bamo! youll have their intended “unfairly designed game”

lets design a game where one side has a big disadvantage, itll be awesome and fun and people will love it

Bi Furious [Fist] YB

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Corvindi.5734

Corvindi.5734

It’s still better than exotics and therefore still alters outcomes.

My mind boggles over how WvW isn’t considered PvP. What do you think people do in WvW battles?

I suspect the same people who claim it isn’t PvP and therefore the stats are meaningless will scream bloody murder if Arenanet actually does the right thing and drops Ascended to exotic gear level in WvW. They want a stat advantage so they can kill other players with it.

Come to think of it, they’re right, that isn’t PvP. It’s garbage PvP.

“…we don’t expect you to be forced into dungeons at endgame.”

~ArenaNet

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

How many times does the “stats don’t make a big enough difference” idiocy need to be debunked? Go tell DOTA players how Iron Branches don’t matter and see how that goes.

Yes, if you want to fight at your best, you will have to grind your crafting all the way to 500 to make one of these stupid stat sticks.

My advice – quit before even starting. It would be worse if it turns out you like the PvP only to get frustrated with the stupid gear chase. Play another game.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

The thing is, that I like the game for the most part, so I can always kitten around on alts (but not gear them, hahaha).

But I gotta laugh at all those people saying it’s “only a 2% difference” and “you can still do ok”. If ascended gear “doesn’t matter” then what’s the problem with downgrading ascended gear to exotic in WvW areas?

It’s like the member a few posts above me said. It lets you stomp undergeared players with less effort. Kind of reminds me of WoW in that you grind “honor points” to get the first tier of gear, then grind some harder to come by points for the second tier of gear, and then some other type of points to upgrade that second tier of gear. All the while, you’re continually at a disadvantage and it’s NOT fun. I know, because I tried it.

I don’t want to see that happen in this game.

If you really want skill to matter and skill level to shine, then you remove gear differences.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Ostra.3927

Ostra.3927

Stats matter. Simple as that.

Once armor is out… its gonna be like taking on someone in exotic with greens.

And next year will be the Transcended Trinkets. then weapons, then armor. Then a revamp of all the old level 75-80 zones to get them off completely stupid farm status and the dungeons too…

If the game is still strong by the end of next year… I promise you they will revamp dungeons so you cannot do them without ascended without a LOT of frustration.

Thats the way of the carrot. They gave up on the rest of us just a couple months into the game. They only want the carrot chasers now…

Please get your priorities straight Anet.
Stat increase = gear grind.
Gear grind = no money from me ever again.

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Posted by: Fishbait.6723

Fishbait.6723

Well, finally managed to get a dagger for my ele ttoday, celestial wupwup (Three Stooges anyone) & holy crap, the damage done is easily noticeable.

True, I`m not doing kittened damage like thief scum can, but compared to my bog standard celestial 2*daggers it is huge.

I`d look forward to a second dagger, but with the crap loot rates in wvws & time gating…..

Attachments:

“We want you to play the game, not the UI” Arenanet.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Top-right-GO-away/first#post2096524
Rocking Wizard Wars until this mess of a game is fixed…

Ascended Gear

in WvW

Dark Catalyst.1028

Well, this won’t be a problem for me any longer because I’ve decided to go play something else. If I wanted a kittening gear treadmill, I would have stuck with WoW, but ANet seems to have long term plans and they want to attract mindless grinders and people with too much time on their hands. How is grinding fun? How are gear treadmills fun?