Asura Gate In Mendons? JP In Red Spawn?

in WvW

Posted by: schlake.2718

schlake.2718

For a long time there was an Asura gate up in Mendons. You could only see it when you were far enough away to hit the low-res/far-away rendering engine, so it seems likely it was modeled into the game at some point but never properly removed. It has been removed for some time now, but I always still wonder, what was it for, and why was it there?

The same goes for the jumping puzzle in the red spawn in Eternal Battlegrounds. Why was it there? What did it lead to? Why is most of it still there?

in WvW

Posted by: Turamarth.3248

Turamarth.3248

With jumping puzzle do you mean the path leading up to the top of the waterfall?

Brandar – Kodash [DE]
[SPQR]

in WvW

schlake.2718

Yes, that one. You can see that there is more, but a piece is missing and so you can’t continue.

in WvW

Posted by: TirzahBauer

TirzahBauer

Environment Artist

Hey there! Thought I’d pop in and answer these mysterious mysteries

In early development, we used those portals in the corner of the map to change teams for testing. We’d teleport everyone in the map to that spot when they zoned in, then they would choose the R,G,B portal to then go to their team. They were normally swapped to “off” but from long distances they could bug and you could see them! I think the portals have been completely removed now.

That jumping puzzle I put in was originally going to be a vista. We removed vistas from portal keeps before ship, and I lazy artist’d it by just removing a rock or two. xD

in WvW

Posted by: Versuvious.2568

Versuvious.2568

Hi OP, my computer can’t handle the far away rendering.

Can you please post a screenshot of that asura portal in mendons and the JP at red keep, so that other players who has a not-so-powerful machine can see them as well. Thanks!

Xeramphelinae – Legend S1 & S2, 6k sPvP games
6 legendaries, PvE & PvP’er. 3 yrs gw2’er, Raider
Hardcore but playing casually. Workaholic.

in WvW

Posted by: orenwolf.1953

orenwolf.1953

Hey there! Thought I’d pop in and answer these mysterious mysteries

In early development, we used those portals in the corner of the map to change teams for testing. We’d teleport everyone in the map to that spot when they zoned in, then they would choose the R,G,B portal to then go to their team. They were normally swapped to “off” but from long distances they could bug and you could see them! I think the portals have been completely removed now.

That jumping puzzle I put in was originally going to be a vista. We removed vistas from portal keeps before ship, and I lazy artist’d it by just removing a rock or two. xD

Thank you for the cool background info, Tirzah! I love posts like these

in WvW

schlake.2718

Thanks for that answer. I knew I wasn’t crazy about that portal existing. The portals are removed, and I only ever saw the one portal. I have no screenshots of it, and it is gone now.

As for the JP in red spawn, just run towards Mendons and look for the tell-tale signs of a JP on your right that lead up over spawn. It’s easy to find.