Banning is NOT the solution.

in WvW

Posted by: Random.4691

Random.4691

The problem with the golem bug is it can be acquired by simply killing a golem. Now I don’t foresee how they can possibly ban players for killing golems.

Don’t bother trying to explain it, the majority just don’t get it. The source of the problem is Anet, but lets just ignore that fact and blame the players, half of whom probably don’t even realize they are running around with the buff.

Wouldn’t it be funny if Anet did ban everyone who used it and half these people calling for bans also got banned because at some point they received the buff and were unaware. I bet they would be singing a completely different tune.

As for the buff destroying the fun … the entire event destroyed the fun so who really cares if there was a bug on top of it.

in WvW

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

just ban them for good. WvW would be more fun without those cheaters at all.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

Anet won’t ban anyone over this, not that I think a ban is required for this level of exploitation, unless the dupe bug was involved. They won’t even give out suspensions to the abusers, they will keep their silence and sweep this under the rug and never run another wvw event again or for a very long time at least.

Would be nice to at least get the players who flaunted using the bug all week to teach them and future abusers a lesson, but hey it’s anet, it won’t happen.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

People. Stop freaking out!
The golem week/bugs are just what they’ve found to flush us out of WvW.

In about a month they’ll come up with “In light of recent numbers and the poor participation to wvw, it is only logical that we decided to remove the mode from the game since it is not played anymore. Here’s a bunch of mining pick skins.”

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

People. Stop freaking out!
The golem week/bugs are just what they’ve found to flush us out of WvW.

In about a month they’ll come up with “In light of recent numbers and the poor participation to wvw, it is only logical that we decided to remove the mode from the game since it is not played anymore. Here’s a bunch of mining pick skins.”

People have been asking for gvg for ages right?

Golem vs Golem is the answer.

The future I envision has no new cool mining pick (but I’d buy “naked Colin swinging sword” chopping axe right away). Instead, the Supercharged golem buff will be available in gem store for only 4000gems/25 charges (25 x1 hour), usable in pve, wvw and pvp.

Anet loves esports so don’t forget to buy your supercharged buff in gem store today!

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in WvW

Posted by: papaiggy.1345

papaiggy.1345

Last night I witnessed a couple of guilds running this buff outside golems. Sadly our little Zerg was just k-training and all was good till someone mentioned my name calling for a report and I was totally confused until I looked at the list of buffs on me and somehow that stupid golem buff was present on me despite me not even being in a golem or knowing about it at all. I immediately asked how to get rid of it and luckily someone told me to get in a golem and it went away but jeeze, people are so fast to judge by insta-reporting me? I wasn’t even aware or had no ill intention of exploiting it. Very confusing and unfortunate, I hope I’m not the only one who’s been in a similar situation.

Nice story bro but you don’t just end up with this buff having not been in a golem. Matter of fact the ONLY way to get the buff is from having been in a golem.

in WvW

papaiggy.1345

The problem with the golem bug is it can be acquired by simply killing a golem. Now I don’t foresee how they can possibly ban players for killing golems.

First I have heard of this, but nice story bro.

in WvW

papaiggy.1345

Personally I would like to see the major offenders those with 2 or more reports filed on them have their characters rolled back to the reset.

in WvW

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

Rule about banning players:

-IF exploit affects the economy → BAN
else→ NO BAN

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in WvW

Posted by: Julenal.3907

Julenal.3907

-IF exploit affects the economy -> BAN
else-> NO BAN

But they are gaining more loot by being able to kill players more efficiently → exploit affects the economy?

GM of Finnish gaming community guild “Frozen Dawn” [FD] since GW2 announce
GW player of 14+kh and Passionate Mind Wracker since 2005

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

Pay closer attention then. I went into WvW last night and got the bug somehow without realizing it. I either got it from killing a golem or hopping out of one. Luckily I keep a stack of alphas on me so I was able to get rid of it but if I didn’t have one I would have been stuck with it because I’m not going to waste my time hopping maps just because anet chose to ignore a bug.

Personally I don’t see it as being anymore of a problem than having the Omegas run around with the buff anyway. My roam group decided to spawn camp and ruin the k-trainers fun and we massacred the crappy PvE players that were using this bug, even though they vastly outnumbered us, had siege, and were next to their spawn. They might hit harder but their armor hasn’t changed, just focus target and kill them.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: mordran.4750

mordran.4750

You get the the buff if you and somebody else try to hop in a golem simultaneously. With the right timing the player who did not get inside the golem gets the buff outside the golem. So i do not believe that there are many people who got this by accident.

It´s an exploit and people using it should be punished, imho not permanently but at least a 3 day suspension. Hell, whole guilds exploited that. Yesterday i saw a SFR complete guild group running around with it.

But more disturbing than using exploits is a game developer that does absolutely nothing against it and even does not bother to give any statement at all. That´s really the most lame thing since a long time i´ve experienced with Anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Once a cheater, always a cheater. Just my take on it.

I honestly don’t care if it is a bug, working as intended (which I doubt), or exploit. When people stoop to that level of play the overall format of play is broke. No different than when we’d see Radar users in DaOC or other speed hacks. Furthermore, this isn’t he or she is doing it I need to in order to compete.

Basically what we are left with is a half baked event that they patched in and let ride for a week. No thought of what may or may not happen let alone any follow up. Just drop and go…

Fine by me. Got more stuff done this week than normal (better half is happy) and I didn’t pre-order. In fact – I don’t plan to. Is 50 to 100 bucks a big deal to the company? Probably not. Is 200 bucks a big deal (2 players in house), probably not. So really when I look at it, my 200 potential bucks and complaints mean nothing at the end of the day.

Happy Friday all – hope you have a good weekend.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

(edited by Crapgame.6519)

in WvW

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Pay closer attention then. I went into WvW last night and got the bug somehow without realizing it. I either got it from killing a golem or hopping out of one. Luckily I keep a stack of alphas on me so I was able to get rid of it but if I didn’t have one I would have been stuck with it because I’m not going to waste my time hopping maps just because anet chose to ignore a bug.

Personally I don’t see it as being anymore of a problem than having the Omegas run around with the buff anyway. My roam group decided to spawn camp and ruin the k-trainers fun and we massacred the crappy PvE players that were using this bug, even though they vastly outnumbered us, had siege, and were next to their spawn. They might hit harder but their armor hasn’t changed, just focus target and kill them.

If it was a one or two like you seem to be running into i dont think most people would be as annoyed. Because as you point out, they can still be killed fairly easily.

But when you run into a whole guild group 15-20 running the buff, it is pretty much game over. And im talking actual wvw guilds not silly pve pug group. Either run or wp. There is no fighting that. The other night we had a decent sized guild spawn camping all with the buff and a couple smaller guilds all with the buff watching the two side exits. It is things like this that end with the ban them all mentality.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

in WvW

Posted by: Timiok.1048

Timiok.1048

Again, hundreds of people used this exploit. Do you know how many of them are paying for the expansion? I don’t know why you guys are pretty much repeating what was said practically within the first few comments. It doesn’t make any sense on a financial standpoint to take away several people that would not only pay for the expansion (just one of those hundreds of people can give $100. Not much with one person, but many with hundreds of people)And it is kind of pathetic I am saying this for like the 4th time now, you guys don’t get it. So in order to make sure there is NO CONFUSION, I’ll make this as simple as possible.
-It is Arena Net’s fault for letting such a bug go out of hand so quickly. They could have done about 3 things, before it went out of hand.
1. Fix the problem as soon as it arose, or just end the event.
2.Ban those who were the first to exploit this.
3. They could have simply come out with an empty threat, by saying that those who exploit this bug will be punished, and a bulk of the exploiters and people who have accidently come across this bug will be too scared to do anything.
In addition to this, the problem is practically over now. So all of those complainers who are complaining now are probably just bent on revenge.

I’m just curious too, how do you think Arena Net would go about banning all these people? You don’t think that people who did nothing wrong could get banned if this happened. Heck, I haven’t been in-game for a month, I could get banned because someone could report me if they suspect me of exploiting then bam I’m gone. There just isn’t enough proof, there’s too much complexity, and when those innocent people rage about their poor demise, Anet will just look like the bad guys for banning innocent people for unexplained reasons and for doing it because of something that is so trivial and doesn’t even threaten the game.

The wintersday crisis was warranted because this had such a significant change on the economy which the community likely suffered from for a long time.
1. Anet would easily be able to see the change in inventory, because the exploit was item based. The golem problem is based on an effect, like a boon. That would be harder to track because, you can get rid of the effect by just leaving WvW, it wouldn’t be worth it, most of the time to record these affects, because so many abilities use things like this (Stealth, utilities, auras etc.).
2. This exploit was not easy to come across. People who exploited this knew what they were doing was wrong, or at least they should have known. What they did had a bad affect on the community.
3. This was much more long term than the golem exploit, and it was well established that this was wrong. People were discouraged to do this, so they were given enough warning.

So bans? Not going to happen in my opinion.

in WvW

Posted by: briggah.7910

briggah.7910

Again, hundreds of people used this exploit.

According to most maps are empty and no one is playing this week. Hundreds? I bet more people didn’t play then actually used this exploit.

Player Vs Everyone
youtube channel - twitch channel

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

I didn’t pre-order. In fact – I don’t plan to. Is 50 to 100 bucks a big deal to the company? Probably not. Is 200 bucks a big deal (2 players in house), probably not. So really when I look at it, my 200 potential bucks and complaints mean nothing at the end of the day.

But you are not the only one thinking of or doing this, so it doesn’t mean nothing at the end of the day. This week has done some damage to their reputation and sales of the expansion.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: xDudisx.5914

xDudisx.5914

-IF exploit affects the economy -> BAN
else-> NO BAN

But they are gaining more loot by being able to kill players more efficiently -> exploit affects the economy?

That player could be getting 10 times more gold/itens doing pve. That is not really affecting the economy. It is also not a direct relationship. One could be without the buff and still make more gold per hour deppending on the server/guild he is in.

I’m talking about big things like the snowflakes incident, where people found a broken recipe and started mass crafting and salvaging for infinite reward loop. That thing made anet mass ban exploiters.

Ouroboro Knight’s [OK]

in WvW

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

I didn’t pre-order. In fact – I don’t plan to. Is 50 to 100 bucks a big deal to the company? Probably not. Is 200 bucks a big deal (2 players in house), probably not. So really when I look at it, my 200 potential bucks and complaints mean nothing at the end of the day.

But you are not the only one thinking of or doing this, so it doesn’t mean nothing at the end of the day. This week has done some damage to their reputation and sales of the expansion.

I don’t disagree actually. I was saying my few bucks probably don’t matter.

I agree there is damage but I don’t know to what severity. Nor do I know how the upper tier servers are fairing. Heck, I don’t even know to what degree the issue was abused outside the few people I ran into while doing my dailies or those I heard talking in /g about doing it.

I know it happened. It kept me out of the format outside completing dailies. It also made me think about pre-ordering two copies which I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not. This is based on my mainly playing WvW with a bit of sPvP thrown in, the 23rd patch, this week, and no information with any significant WvW content in the expansion.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in WvW

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

Once a cheater, always a cheater. Just my take on it.

I honestly don’t care if it is a bug, working as intended (which I doubt), or exploit. When people stoop to that level of play the overall format of play is broke. No different than when we’d see Radar users in DaOC or other speed hacks. Furthermore, this isn’t he or she is doing it I need to in order to compete.

Basically what we are left with is a half baked event that they patched in and let ride for a week. No thought of what may or may not happen let alone any follow up. Just drop and go…

Fine by me. Got more stuff done this week than normal (better half is happy) and I didn’t pre-order. In fact – I don’t plan to. Is 50 to 100 bucks a big deal to the company? Probably not. Is 200 bucks a big deal (2 players in house), probably not. So really when I look at it, my 200 potential bucks and complaints mean nothing at the end of the day.

You can add me to that list. If they don’t ban the exploiters and announce they did so, no names, just a statement that says they don’t tolerate this kind of a behavior, I’m out. I don’t think I even died to anyone using the exploit, but the fact there are YouTube videos of these people running the buff and bragging about it, pushes it too far. <insert can’t deal with it llama here>