Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Klonko.8341

Klonko.8341

Does it actually happen? I mean as far as see, ranger are just good at killing a bunch of uplvl…

So my question, Have you ever been victim of a ranger that fought you 1vsX?

Raining Rainbows lvl 80 ranger ~~~~~ SBI server

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Dee Jay.2460

Dee Jay.2460

Not a “victim” but I know plenty of Ranger builds that are extremely hard to fight 1v1. In sPvP I’d often opt not to fight Rangers on my Thief if I knew they were Spirit Rangers or some other variant just because I knew they’d never die.

But for some reason, aside from some rare exceptions, these strong builds never really caught on in WvW. The vast majority of Rangers I encounter aren’t condition bunkers or some form of Spirit Ranger. Instead they are the type of Ranger that kills themselves by shooting at Daggerstorm.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Basket of Boxes.1976

Basket of Boxes.1976

I haven’t seen it but it is possible depending on the skill levels of the players involved. I have won 4 v 1s on both my thief and engineer and its more to do with the enemy being bad then me being good. If all players have an equal skill level and are using roaming builds no class should really win a 2 v 1 unless they hard counter the 2 in some way.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Oak da Vite.9054

Oak da Vite.9054

Haha, oh, how I love people thinking like that. They thinking: “A ranger, thats my bag!” Me evading their damage an taking them down or pulling them into an ambush depending on their numbers. So I benefit from the low average skill level of my profession.

I don’t judge a ranger, because he is a ranger, but by his weapon. In the case the ranger is running a longbow it is most likely that you will win the duel. Though there are some rangers that will still give you a tough fight even with longbow. But they are pretty rare.

I call it the bearbow problem. The only cure is education, but somehow many rangers are resinstent… They point out the descipion of the profession is declaring ranger as a ranged fighter… This works in PvE, but in PvP the rules change as the enemy is intelligent and they can’t deal with it…

Da Vite – Miller’s Sound
Last Phoenix [Nix]

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: BAITness.1083

BAITness.1083

Does it actually happen? I mean as far as see, ranger are just good at killing a bunch of uplvl…

I once played with an excellent ranger who also commanded on his ranger. I can’t recall any time I was on the receiving end of a pro rangers pain, though. Most guilds I have been in do not let people run ranger unless they have no other class. The ranger class needs help.

Hyade and his flamethrower

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Haha, oh, how I love people thinking like that. They thinking: “A ranger, thats my bag!” Me evading their damage an taking them down or pulling them into an ambush depending on their numbers. So I benefit from the low average skill level of my profession.

I don’t judge a ranger, because he is a ranger, but by his weapon. In the case the ranger is running a longbow it is most likely that you will win the duel. Though there are some rangers that will still give you a tough fight even with longbow. But they are pretty rare.

I call it the bearbow problem. The only cure is education, but somehow many rangers are resinstent… They point out the descipion of the profession is declaring ranger as a ranged fighter… This works in PvE, but in PvP the rules change as the enemy is intelligent and they can’t deal with it…

I think part of the problem with so many rangers running ranged gear, is that, if they wanted a good melee fighter for zergs, why not just build a warrior or guardian instead?

Ranged rangers can be decent in WvW, in very certain situations. In a full zerg on zerg open field fight, they’re usually some of the first to go down, unless they’re extremely careful/smart……or if the enemy zerg is completely clueless and disorganized. I have been working diligently on trying to get my ranged ranger better in WvW, but will most likely eventually move to a mesmer and/or guardian, as they seem to be much more effective and helpful in a zerg in WvW.

Although, have been trying out a lb/sword-dagger setup a bit lately, and that is somewhat interesting…….certainly different, and much more useful in melee.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Longbow ranger is op because they have long range.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Klonko.8341

I noticed a lack of Ranger skills display on youtube. By this, i mean there is almost no ranger video compared to other class!

So, i do think ranger is the hardest class to master in gw2.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

Highest I’ve won was 4v1 on my ranger. People underestimate a ranger, and I take advantage of that and show them the error of their ways. You could give me any other class with any build, I would stick with a ranger. They are great small scale.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Not a “victim” but I know plenty of Ranger builds that are extremely hard to fight 1v1. In sPvP I’d often opt not to fight Rangers on my Thief if I knew they were Spirit Rangers or some other variant just because I knew they’d never die.

But for some reason, aside from some rare exceptions, these strong builds never really caught on in WvW. The vast majority of Rangers I encounter aren’t condition bunkers or some form of Spirit Ranger. Instead they are the type of Ranger that kills themselves by shooting at Daggerstorm.

You see condition bunker rangers roaming sometimes. They just aren’t very useful in a Zerg.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Teon.5168

Highest I’ve won was 4v1 on my ranger. People underestimate a ranger, and I take advantage of that and show them the error of their ways. You could give me any other class with any build, I would stick with a ranger. They are great small scale.

I hope I can get to that point on my ranger in WvW some day. I have been trying like crazy to learn from my mistakes and get better, and I have had a couple 1v1 and 1v2 battles where I have come out on top, but I attributed that not to my skill…more to the fact that the others were just inexperienced.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: warriorjrd.8695

warriorjrd.8695

I hope I can get to that point on my ranger in WvW some day. I have been trying like crazy to learn from my mistakes and get better, and I have had a couple 1v1 and 1v2 battles where I have come out on top, but I attributed that not to my skill…more to the fact that the others were just inexperienced.

85%+ of my total game time is on a ranger, and I have over 3k hours clocked. It does take some learning and getting used to, and honestly ranger is probably the steepest learning curve of all the classes. But if you want to come out on top and truly dedicate yourself, time will be the only limiting factor for you.

It is not what you do, but how and why you do it that counts.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

Longbow rangers will beat my necro easily, the build I roll relies on two line-of-sight skills to set up a combo and the pet has a hitbox the size of Europe. I plug an important skill into the pet, gg cripple vulnerability forever. Dead necro.

My engineer has the same problem, but my guardian could chop down a dozen rangers without blinking.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

Longbow rangers will beat my necro easily, the build I roll relies on two line-of-sight skills to set up a combo and the pet has a hitbox the size of Europe. I plug an important skill into the pet, gg cripple vulnerability forever. Dead necro.

My engineer has the same problem, but my guardian could chop down a dozen rangers without blinking.

kitten I have to work on my Guardian. A good Ranger with longbow will take him down easily whereas with my engie or mesmer the Ranger is toast.

Theftwind (HoD)

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Omnitek.3876

Omnitek.3876

I murder people in 1v1s all the time in WvW. My ranger is my go to roaming class but I don’t even own a longbow.

Everyone runs at rangers to get free kills, so I never have to look for fight and it is rewarding when you kill people.

Rangers need help in larger groups imo, but just fine for smaller. A strong condi bunker class with soft CC.

A L T S
Skritt Happens

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Teon.5168

85%+ of my total game time is on a ranger, and I have over 3k hours clocked. It does take some learning and getting used to, and honestly ranger is probably the steepest learning curve of all the classes. But if you want to come out on top and truly dedicate yourself, time will be the only limiting factor for you.

Thanks. That is truly encouraging. I love my ranger and am always experimenting with different weapon sets and such. I imagine I will eventually get a ton of time in WvW, as I refuse to give up on him.

At the same time, I have other classes that I will try from time to time out there, just for the fun of it. But the ranger is my #1 out there, no matter how inept I might currently be at him.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I’ve fought alongside and against some very good rangers, I admire their skill and perseverance with the class despite what the general opinion of Rangers thanks to it being a popular class that brings the many Bearbow jokes, and how they’ve been balanced.

Better than the average Thief perhaps..

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.

(edited by CrimsonNeonite.1048)

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Ranger class is like a magnet for low skilled players who want a cute pet and pew pew with longbow. Been playing wvw for almost a year and so far I’ve seen only 2 rangers being able to go vs x (not upscaled or complete nubs).

Those that I found hard to fight 1 vs 1 are also very few. All these knew their class and when to switch weapons or go melee. The average ranger stays in longbow all the time, how many times I was right next to a ranger and he was still shooting at with me longbow (seen this even in dungeons).

Even if a ranger from my server follows me when I flip camps, it’s likely gonna be a pain cos most use knockback as soon as it goes off cooldown.

Makes me happy to see a ranger switch to melee when I get close to him cos I know it’s gonna be a fun fight.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Bao Lin Nda.1042

Bao Lin Nda.1042

I love my longbow and my ranger is half berserker half valkyrie. I take out most necros and most warriors easily, a good guard is more of a draw. Rangers still have big problems with conditions, so I avoid engis and most mesmers if I can. And thieves.. well, if they sneak attack me, I’m out. If I see them first, they’re out. And, sad enough, most rangers are just easy lootbags.
But don’t try to play ranger if you never heard the word “dodge”.. A lb with Sigil of Generosity is nice to have, but won’t help that much.
IMHO, playing a ranger is knowing how to move. Favorit food: Bowl of Orrian Truffle and Meat Stew

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

It does happen but usually the defeated player is a scrub, gets caught by multiple players with a Ranger, they are wounded when the fight begins or they are running a large group build. There is a VERY rare circumstance that a Ranger can kill a skilled player 1v1 but I cannot remember the last time a Ranger downed me in a “fair” fight (I have been beaten by all other classes so not trying to brag about being unkillable). The last time one got me it was a 2v1 situation with a thief on their side. I downed the thief but the Ranger finished me.

Any decently played condi-bunker is going to wreck virtually every ranger in WvW 1v1 situations. I am pretty sure my mesmer could handle 2-3 of them.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Kitty.1502

Kitty.1502

Ranger is in a position in wvw were they can’t use their strengths. As a support their spirits die to fast, they can’t really be a tanky class because positioning is also important and some of their skills require a constant target. They don’t do good enough AOE, in order to be effective dps they go full glass and a lot of people can’t survive as that. I enjoy it though, I run full glass and survive 95% of the zerg fights I get into.

Tarnished Coast-[NOPE]
Kitten – Zerker Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitten
Kitty Smallpaw – Condi Ranger – http://gw2efficiency.com/c/Kitty%20Smallpaw

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

Pinkamena Diane Pie.8054

From what I hear, nothing too much wrong with rangers, it’s just that they dont help much in a group, and anything they can do to help a group, other classes can do better; and so not much worth playing a ranger when you are running in a group.

The WvW Forum Poster Formerly Known As Omaris Mortuus Est

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Doo Lally.8594

Doo Lally.8594

I once ‘out-rangered’ a Ranger on my rifle Warrior in WvW. I literally sat their shooting him whilst cleansing his conditions. Every so often I would smack his pet with the rifle butt when the little b*gger got in my field of vision.

This, of course, tells you more about how bad he was rather than how good I am….because I seriously suck as a Warrior.

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

My best is 1v3, zerk/divine pre april patch. Against a elementalist, mesmer and upleveled warrior. But I guess its a 1vX. Downed the ele in less than 5 secs, faked a stomp, hit the mes so they backed off, stomped ele, burst down warrior and stomped, finished the mes in a rough 1v1. To be far the warrior was just trying to hundred blades me, so he wasn’t even a consideration really..

I used to do 1v2 decently if the two players had no synergy (quite common in wvw).

1v1 I was really good at, but my build was so cheesy it was probably one of the contributing factors to the crit damage nerf. =P

It doesn’t work quite right now because of so much burst lost (I can probably make it work again if I really wanted but I’m taking a break from ranger atm), but I was running Greatsword/Sword.Axe 30.25.15.0.0 (signets), hitting 7k-8k mauls as opening (pet hit 3k-3.5k) hilt bashed to daze, weapon swap, signet of hunt, PoS for 3.5kish, auto attack 1k per hit, PoS came back, 2.5kish. Full exotics, ranger runes, not full trinkets XD

Usually interrupts their heal (people panic hit that button so often), they need a teleport or invulni on their bar for reliable escape. It basically doesn’t work on most well played classes, (and skilled players with a cool head and good twitch skills can get out the way) but surprise helps a lot. If I can make someone pop their heal before they even hit me, I feel bad kitty

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Tricare.2946

Tricare.2946

Pre-patch but I use to fight 1v2 and win every now and then.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cK4CaTy24ZA

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

I am a Ranger and I beat people 1v1 a lot, not all but many.

Conditions and mitigation are my tools.

More than 1v1 so far, nope. Still not able to do more but at least I am not a meat sandwich every single time. If anyone has a better build than condition (1600) and a pet combo that works well in WvW tell us all…

I have seen better Rangers than I am, I am willing to learn!

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

(edited by atheria.2837)

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: atheria.2837

atheria.2837

My best is 1v3, zerk/divine pre april patch. Against a elementalist, mesmer and upleveled warrior. But I guess its a 1vX. Downed the ele in less than 5 secs, faked a stomp, hit the mes so they backed off, stomped ele, burst down warrior and stomped, finished the mes in a rough 1v1. To be far the warrior was just trying to hundred blades me, so he wasn’t even a consideration really..

I used to do 1v2 decently if the two players had no synergy (quite common in wvw).

1v1 I was really good at, but my build was so cheesy it was probably one of the contributing factors to the crit damage nerf. =P

It doesn’t work quite right now because of so much burst lost (I can probably make it work again if I really wanted but I’m taking a break from ranger atm), but I was running Greatsword/Sword.Axe 30.25.15.0.0 (signets), hitting 7k-8k mauls as opening (pet hit 3k-3.5k) hilt bashed to daze, weapon swap, signet of hunt, PoS for 3.5kish, auto attack 1k per hit, PoS came back, 2.5kish. Full exotics, ranger runes, not full trinkets XD

Usually interrupts their heal (people panic hit that button so often), they need a teleport or invulni on their bar for reliable escape. It basically doesn’t work on most well played classes, (and skilled players with a cool head and good twitch skills can get out the way) but surprise helps a lot. If I can make someone pop their heal before they even hit me, I feel bad kitty

Why is everyone saying “pre-patch”? He means now….

Not keeping all IT jobs here is a major reason IT is so bad HERE. 33y IT 10y IT Security

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Valentin.2073

Valentin.2073

i beat people 1v1 in wvw and it doesnt matter what class and it doesnt matter what build i am using lol. i dont find it unusual though, maybe because i played pvp in a long time before i dove in to wvw.

PVP Ranger: Prince Valentine, PVP Warrior: Prince of Hearts I, and PVP Mesmer: Prince Valentine I

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Amurond.4590

Amurond.4590

A thread about rangers for a change!

How new and exciting.

~ The Server I Play On Is Better Than The Server You Play On ~
- Kudzu, Dreamer, Frostfang, Eternity, Flameseeker Prophecies ~
~Nevermore, HOPE, Moot, Incinerator, Meteorlogicus, Howler ~

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

I beat ppl on my ranger all the time. I rarely lose to rangers though and I must admit I still think ‘free bag’ when I see a ranger. I’ve lost to a longbow ranger once and man he was good.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

I still hop on the ranger every now and then, mainly if I want to go camp capping/generally going around flipping things.
Enjoy ranger in large scale fights, it’s all about positioning and avoiding the leaping/stunning melee types, and firing on the support eles and necros. Usually run ranged pet, with Lb and sword/horn. A bit squishy but not full zerk.

Pro tip: when running around and you think a thief or three may be around, make sure you’re on the sword/wh:-)

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Sreoom.3690

Sreoom.3690

Pro tip: when running around and you think a thief or three may be around, make sure you’re on the sword/wh:-)

…and pack Sic ’em! So funny to see a thief panic when you time that just as he wants to stealth :-)

“The Leaf on Wind”
JQ Ranger

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Zoia.3678

Zoia.3678

I beat ppl on my ranger all the time. I rarely lose to rangers though and I must admit I still think ‘free bag’ when I see a ranger. I’ve lost to a longbow ranger once and man he was good.

Yea, I tend to think free bag as well when I see other rangers. :\ I have lost a couple of 1vs1 fights against other rangers, though.

For me to win a 1vs2 fight, it needs to be the right classes or builds, obviously. Since I don’t have any condi removals atm(only melandru runes and food), one condi necro or engi is tough enough alone. Two of those will down me in seconds.
If it’s 1vs3 it has to be one or more uplevels and/or bad players for me to win.

The vid in my sig has some 1vs2 fights against other lv 80s, but some of them didn’t have food.
I haven’t been in WvW after the patch, but I’ve heard it’s more condi classes out there now. Maybe it’s time to swap Barkskin for EB?

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

…and pack Sic ’em! So funny to see a thief panic when you time that just as he wants to stealth :-)

yup. Sic’em isn’t the best of skills unless you run BM or shout regen, however that 4 second reveal is simply too “fun” not to use… trolling mesmers and thieves with that skill and watching how they react is simply priceless. But apart from trolling thieves and mesmers, the utility itself is quite “meh”. Especially since the skills +40% pet movement doesnt stack with other buffs…

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Klonko.8341

Ok, i think i got the pattern. Now another question: Would you be interested in a video featuring some outnumbered fights involving a ranger?

(edited by Klonko.8341)

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

A Ranger winning a 1vX is very unlikely. I don’t play my Ranger nearly as much as I do my Necromancer but I can tell you that compared to other professions it’s extremely difficult to manage multiple targets with a Ranger regardless of weapon choice. If you’re good enough, I could see a Ranger winning a 1vX, but you would have to be exceptionally good to do so.
1v1, a Ranger shouldn’t be underestimated. I’ve come across only a handfull that knew what they were doing but the Rangers that know how to play their profession will demolish you. I still need a lot of practice on mine but I’ve either killed or made plenty of people run for the hills on my Ranger but as soon as someone else joins the fight I’m screwed. Besides traps, they’re just a very single target type of profession, which makes any thing other than a 1vs1 fight almost impossible to win unless everything goes perfectly smooth.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Klonko.8341

I think i might be good with ranger because i think outside of the box. That being said i dont use the “meta roaming build” for ranger (RRR build, BM build etc…). Ill try to provide a video with some 1vsX footage + tips if im good enough with editing

(it will also be my first time making a video so dont expect much )

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

often i find it easier to play 1vX with BM then other builds… trapper is so darn glassy, but the damage is simply insane and can easily kill of multiple enemies simply due to the overwhelming condition damage you can pull off in just a few seconds.

However, 1vX on BM, i usually let my pet keep up direct DPS pressure on one foe, while i keep a strong condition pressure on another, i then alternate between my targets, spamming down one with condies while spiking another enemy with pet’s damage. it makes the whole ordeal a tad more manageable and forces the foe to be more careful.

2x thieves are a pain, but 2x thieves should not lose a fight ever. Thieves is the single most “single target DPS” focused class there is.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

Beaten by a Ranger Xvs1

in WvW

Klonko.8341

2 thieves should never loose a fight in a nutshell:

shadow refuge the other thief if downed.