Blocking as a stack

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

In my opinion blocking has become too prolific and easy to chain on some builds. I believe this style of play has in some ways helped give rise to condi builds since power builds are a great disadvantage trying to cut through toughness and chained blocks/invulns.

As a suggestion, blocks should stack like boons rather than exist as state. Aegis already works sort of like this. For balance most if not all “unblockable” skills would become blockable.

This is mainly a reaction to fights where players chain blocks/invulns for a large percentage of a fight. Who hasn’t seen this:

Block…Block…Block…Evade…Evade…Invuln…Invuln…Invuln…Block…Block…Block…Invuln…Invuln…Invuln…Evade…Evade…Block…Block…Block…

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Don’t forget the condi cancer guys who can stealth when they start losing and run away

Pathetic lol

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Straegen.2938

Don’t forget the condi cancer guys who can stealth when they start losing and run away

To my knowledge there is only one effective build that does this and it belongs to the mesmer which recently saw a substantial nerf to PU. The block/invuln issue runs across several classes/builds.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Pathetic lol

2016 and we’re still whining about stealth o boy

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: Offair.2563

Offair.2563

To my knowledge there is only one effective build that does this and it belongs to the mesmer which recently saw a substantial nerf to PU. The block/invuln issue runs across several classes/builds.

You left teef out of it.

Big Babou, Ranger for life.
Madness Rises [Rise] – Banners Hold.
Don’t argue with idiots, they pull you down their level and own you with experience.

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: SilentKill.9586

SilentKill.9586

Complain all you want about blocks, invulns, or evades. Until you get rid of condi trash who never learned to play a class at all I’m going to block, invuln, and evade you till you learn to play a class right.

Snoopysrevenge “They’re So Angry”
TIE Guild Leader
Mag Commander

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: RodOfDeath.5247

RodOfDeath.5247

Pathetic lol

Go make another dire rant, o boy

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

Complain all you want about blocks, invulns, or evades. Until you get rid of condi trash who never learned to play a class at all I’m going to block, invuln, and evade you till you learn to play a class right.

Haha, I love the people who call condi builds “trash” and yet 99% of the time, the same people have no clue how to fight condi builds. They’re all chest thumping glass cannons. Oh yeah, look at them 10k crits. I have no defensive abilities but condition builds are OP because they take advantage of my unwillingness to be prepared for different situations.

Condition builds are not OP nor are they easy to play ( in most cases. There are at least a few condition builds that are faceroll ) despite what so many claim. Being able to press 1 a bunch and doing 3 – 5k auto attacks with a power build is equally as faceroll.

I’m gonna say it every time someone QQ’s about condition builds until people get it branded in to their brains: People only hate conditions because they get to think about it before they die.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: Chinchilla.1785

Chinchilla.1785

This is more of a symptom of not using past experience to alleviate potential problems of balance (e.g. in GW 1).

For the topic at hand: “block, evade, invulns, immunity (e.g. endure pain, resistance).”

1. In GW1 there used to be “Blocking” and “Evading” to avoid damage from physical attacks. Eventually it was determined they would only use “Blocking” for easier balance (e.g. they could just have unblockable hits instead of including unavoidable hits) That being said. there were still healing/enchantment spells to negate damage.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Evade

In Guild Wars 2 there are more ways to avoid damage: block, evade (by ability), evade (by dodge), invulns (by abilities), immunity (by resistance, stability, and abilities), reflects, projectile destruction. Am I missing things?

Learning from the past in GW 1, it means things are harder to balance. To counter balance said things you have to put in: Unblockables (can’t be reflected/blocked but can be evaded), Unavoidables (lines and rings that can’t be evaded/blocked but can be passed over with stability), Boon Rips (removes immunity limited to stability and resistance not abilities). No counter for invulns besides loading them up on condis before hand.

2. Regarding condi damage. In GW 1, degeneration (mostly what condi damage is now) is capped, and damage is consistent. This is because it was armor ignoring, and functionally it was suppose to be spread across the party to provide pressure on a group’s healing ability.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Health_degeneration

In GW 2, due to the stacking system of condis to compensate for damage sponge enemies, their function is to “stay on target.” This is probably why people use it for roaming/dueling. This also means some classes still retained burst ability with condi damage alongside beefy-ness provided from some gear stat allocations.

Bear in mind, that degeneration and most of the hex system of GW1 were consolidated into GW2’s condi damage (no doubt with the intention of being easier to balance). This meant you didn’t need a condi cleanse and a hex cleanse.

RISE guild best guild super RPers trash blob guild [RISE] masters of the die on inc technique.

Trinity Of Our EU Lords [Kazo] Zudo Jason Betta

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: BeepBoopBop.5403

BeepBoopBop.5403

Pathetic lol

Go make another dire rant, o boy

Conditions are broken in roaming that is a fact, stealth has been a L2P problem for years. So, kindly L2P.

BTW, Guardians (Trapper), Engis, Rangers, Mesmers and Thieves all have stealth now. If you can’t figure out how to deal with half the classes in the game because “omg stealth op” don’t bother posting in the forum. Weren’t you the one that made an “lol im and old man” thread about how “kids these days!” don’t want to die and run from a losing fight? Cringe.

Koolgai Smurf – Thief | Dazin U – Mesmer | Whats Healing Power – Ranger|
I Bought Hot – Revenant | [QQ]

(edited by BeepBoopBop.5403)

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Straegen.2938

IMO chain block/invulns effect power builds far more than condi builds. Condi damage continues through an enemy block/invuln. I actually switched back to condi because of this meta change. I watch my power based friends sit around effectively useless against a variety of bunker heavy builds now.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]

(edited by Straegen.2938)

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: zinkz.7045

zinkz.7045

Conditions are broken in roaming that is a fact…

Everything is broken in roaming, this game from condi to mobility, from stealth to sustain, is low on skill and high on cheese, and the absolute extreme of that is the joke that is roaming, and it only got worse with HoT, most people caught on to that fact long ago and stopped roaming.

(edited by zinkz.7045)

Blocking as a stack

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

This is more of a symptom of not using past experience to alleviate potential problems of balance (e.g. in GW 1).

For the topic at hand: “block, evade, invulns, immunity (e.g. endure pain, resistance).”

1. In GW1 there used to be “Blocking” and “Evading” to avoid damage from physical attacks. Eventually it was determined they would only use “Blocking” for easier balance (e.g. they could just have unblockable hits instead of including unavoidable hits) That being said. there were still healing/enchantment spells to negate damage.

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Evade

In Guild Wars 2 there are more ways to avoid damage: block, evade (by ability), evade (by dodge), invulns (by abilities), immunity (by resistance, stability, and abilities), reflects, projectile destruction. Am I missing things?

Learning from the past in GW 1, it means things are harder to balance. To counter balance said things you have to put in: Unblockables (can’t be reflected/blocked but can be evaded), Unavoidables (lines and rings that can’t be evaded/blocked but can be passed over with stability), Boon Rips (removes immunity limited to stability and resistance not abilities). No counter for invulns besides loading them up on condis before hand.

2. Regarding condi damage. In GW 1, degeneration (mostly what condi damage is now) is capped, and damage is consistent. This is because it was armor ignoring, and functionally it was suppose to be spread across the party to provide pressure on a group’s healing ability.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Health_degeneration

In GW 2, due to the stacking system of condis to compensate for damage sponge enemies, their function is to “stay on target.” This is probably why people use it for roaming/dueling. This also means some classes still retained burst ability with condi damage alongside beefy-ness provided from some gear stat allocations.

Bear in mind, that degeneration and most of the hex system of GW1 were consolidated into GW2’s condi damage (no doubt with the intention of being easier to balance). This meant you didn’t need a condi cleanse and a hex cleanse.

It’s an interesting thing you wrote here, especially the part about health degen in GW1.

Then, the hex/enchantment system, that has indeed been merged in the condi/boon system, was far richer than the actual system. There were lots of hexes and enchantments that had more or less various effects, triggering on certain conditions. And then, you had chants are shouts and spirits and ashes and… It was indeed a bit more complicated to handle, but the current condi/boon system has a major drawback : there’re too few of them, resulting in a “relative” easiness to get them all and sustain them for a long time (just see all the rants about perma-boons builds or perma-condi builds).

This system was removed to make things easier, and to remove the dps/heal/tank/etc. roles. In another hand, there’re some “effects”, often related to traits, that work as former enchantments…

(edited by ThomasC.1056)